Old 07-02-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your 30 days will doubtless inspire someone else Noolan
Congratulations

D
Old 07-02-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Emme, still praying for your Mom, and you. Worring and stress I understand. But, its nothing a drink will help. I really understand those triggers tho.

BBfly, hope you feel better soon. You know it improves a bit, day by day. Hang in there.

Noolan, I agree with you on the month club. I like your thoughts about how you are proud of everyday you do sober. And congrats on day 30, btw.

I just got done with ALL the major yardwork. Don't mean to cry like a baby, but my yard is the worst in this subdivison to cut. The back is all hills, has to be done with a mower on part(thank God I do have a self propelled) then the rest has to be done with a weedeater. Then the drainage ditch from the whole hood runs thru part of the back. Getting too old to do this anymore. Can't hire help, and can't afford to move. I was thanking God 2nite tho, I'm sober, and still able to do it, for now. Counting my small blessings. It would really get to me if I wasn't able to do these things myself.

Fradley, you are doing awesome. I'm confident your meeting will go well. I'm sure its very nerve wracking to own your own business. Actually, I had a small, and I mean small business of my own, from the home, years ago. It didn't pay all the major bills, but I was very proud and happy with my accomplishments. I wish it would have lasted. I had a good gig going there, for some time.

Mebutmuch, thanks for the thoughts on the upcoming holiday. You are right about we should declare our freedom from drinking. A great way to look at it. Years ago, it was always party central. But now that I'm so much older, its really just another day.

So, I'm exhausted June, just got a shower, tossed my clothes in the washer, and getting ready to call it a day. Will catch up with you all soon. Hope everyone is well.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I'm appreciating everyone's posts. It's amazing to me that there's a class each month going through the process together. Congratulations on a month Noolan.

I'm at 25 days. I've had urges to drink, but I'm getting urges to jog now. It's like two ships passing in the night, headed in opposite directions. The exercise calms my mind, relaxes my body, and makes me feel more confident. It's a great replacement, and is occupying my mind like alcohol or weed have previously.

I'm getting tired. Just wanted to check in and say thanks. The closer I stay to this place, the stronger my resolve, the longer I stay close. It's worked well so far.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noolan View Post
Day 30.
Congrats! Woot! You're definitely an inspiration. It's not easy to get past those first days. At least not for me, and it's always awesome to see . It makes 100% difference when I'm around other people making efforts to stay clean. Even virtually around them.

It's almost Friday, so the crunch time is near. Nigh'on the witching hour. I missed the last meeting, because apparently I'm unable to do the math required to figure out when it's 9 p.m. EST. I'll hit this meeting though, I have an appointment with a counsellor, and I'm thinking about turning off my phone for most of the day tomorrow just to forgo temptation. I'm really, really effing tired of all of this.

But I feel pretty positive. Pretty powerful. The test will be payday AND a Friday. This is a practice Friday. Next Friday and Payday is like when He-Man got together with his armored cat, Battle Cat, and ****** all the **** up. It's like an Armored Payday of the Week - with stripes and claws and a foul mouth - probably. Anyway, I'll have to suit up. (Yes, I'm fairly aware that I'm ridiculous. I gets me through days).

So, I'm a little nervous - but determined. I'll do whatever it takes. I had to hit the car insurance place today, and there was a liquor store. I had a few bucks in my pocket, and BAM, my first thought when I pulled up was walking in.

I just put my head down and walked. Walked. Walked. Made it through.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YuriO View Post
I'm at 25 days. I've had urges to drink, but I'm getting urges to jog now. It's like two ships passing in the night, headed in opposite directions. The exercise calms my mind, relaxes my body, and makes me feel more confident.
Way to go on 25 days . I am also getting the itch to become more mobile. I've gone for a few walks, but I really would like to go a little harder. How do you start after just getting sober? If I run, I start to feel like I'm going to have a heart attack.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Feel like I missed this, and I should've addressed it.

I'm feeling pretty lonely, though. That feeling is starting to settle in again. Thinking about my ex still - 6 months later. Her thoughts aren't on me though. She's likely satisfied by other things (not people, just things [or people - I don't know]), not thinking of me. And that's what makes it feel sad - that I'm the only one sticking around this tiny room. Everyone keeps walking on, and here I prefer to stay and cradle these thoughts. I don't know.

I've tried to talk to other women. No luck lately.

Thoughts about going away for the weekend are on my mind. I drove three hours to Harrison Hot Springs the other weekend, and it was nice. But I constantly thought about sharing those moments with someone else. ****, that'd be nice. It'd be nice to have someone to laugh at stuff with. Without pretension, or awkwardness. I mean, some of the best memories I have with women are those when you just - you just don't worry about making a fool of yourself. Cause you know, you know damn straight that you've got a partner. A partner in crime. I would have buried dead bodies with that woman. I think about being around someone who actually cares enough to learn all the right things to say to make you feel better when you're shitting your pants or being a whiny baby. You know? Those are some of the best parts. Damn. It's just sad face, and I'm impatient. Or shy. Or something something.

Thanks for letting me vent. This sort of stuff can implode me.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know this is not the advice you want, but I'd advise waiting a little while before inviting someone special into your life...

fix yourself first - work out who sober you is and what you want for your life...then you can look around for someone to share it - you'll deal with the ups and downs a lot better too

D
Old 07-02-2015, 10:57 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know this is not the advice you want, but I'd advise waiting a little while before inviting someone special into your life...

fix yourself first - work out who sober you is and what you want for your life...then you can look around for someone to share it - you'll deal with the ups and downs a lot better too

D
I know... you're right. It's not what I want to hear. But I there's no way I could successfully navigate a relationship at this moment in my life. Thanks Dee
Old 07-03-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Mebutmuchbetter, I am planning on drinking water, and the under the weather suggestion is a good idea.

I am glad exercising is working for you . I could lose some weight too and that will be my focus once I am a little more secure with not drinking. In the past, I did a lot of walking and I really enjoyed it. That was quite a while ago and I am not in as good of shape anymore. It would take quite a bit to get to where I used to be but I guess I can start small. I know it did help with stress because I remember thinking even when I didn’t feel like walking that I needed to go for a walk so I could get through the next day. I need to get motivated to start again. My dog would enjoy it too.
I hope you are doing well & thanks for your post and support.

Dee, good advice on weeding out problems that are not mine to worry about. I will do my best to implement it. And thanks for the link, I have it bookmarked

Noolan, congrats on Day 30! Awesome job

Fradley, good luck with your meeting. I hope it goes well, I am confident it will.

Maximus, thanks for your prayers You & your mom are in my thoughts & prayers as well.

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend~
Old 07-03-2015, 01:30 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good morning from the UK 28 degrees and full son - we are not used to this weather! paddling pool all set up for the little ones and life is good. I have stopped counting the days but think I am into the third week (YAY!) last night I really fancied a glass of wine, I was not stressed or upset or depressed? I have no excuses other than the AV in my head telling me I deserved just one glass.... I could see the condensation on the glass of New Zealand white and I actually considered going to the shop. which surprised me as I really felt that I was doing so well, it just shows the AV is just hovering in the shadows just biding his time (always think of AV as a him not a her?) Instead I took a lovely hot bath with bubbles and candles and turned my music on. Bad luck this time AV!

Thank goodness I didn't because I know I would have not only drank the whole bottle but then I would of been on the prowl for more alcohol. I know I can't drink one glass so I won't. It's not easy when everything on TV seems to show people drinking and having fun. BUT I just think what a mess I was in three weeks ago and like many of you I don't want to go back there -ever.

I am sorry so many of our group are battling demons right now and the mood shifts are different by the day, but this is alcohol withdrawal - we drink for years and what do we expect. I agree each day is a new day.
I hope everyone has a better day today and that you get through the weekend. I have booked onto a meditation and self discovery day on Saturday. My husband calls it mumbo jumbo! but having not ever experienced meditation I am keen to just give it a go and see if I can get to some of the 'inner peace' people talk about.

My head is full, I need to slow down and relax but I think keeping busy is kind of helping me not to drink. I am happier then ever and enjoying life more and this time I will not let myself down.

Good luck for the meeting Fradley , Noolan 30 days is amazing! Max today will be a better day - great you are thinking about making plans. Big Hugs sent to all those who just could do with a hug right now x
Old 07-03-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheSereneTheif View Post
Feel like I missed this, and I should've addressed it.

I'm feeling pretty lonely, though. That feeling is starting to settle in again. Thinking about my ex still - 6 months later. Her thoughts aren't on me though. She's likely satisfied by other things (not people, just things [or people - I don't know]), not thinking of me. And that's what makes it feel sad - that I'm the only one sticking around this tiny room. Everyone keeps walking on, and here I prefer to stay and cradle these thoughts. I don't know.

I've tried to talk to other women. No luck lately.

Thoughts about going away for the weekend are on my mind. I drove three hours to Harrison Hot Springs the other weekend, and it was nice. But I constantly thought about sharing those moments with someone else. ****, that'd be nice. It'd be nice to have someone to laugh at stuff with. Without pretension, or awkwardness. I mean, some of the best memories I have with women are those when you just - you just don't worry about making a fool of yourself. Cause you know, you know damn straight that you've got a partner. A partner in crime. I would have buried dead bodies with that woman. I think about being around someone who actually cares enough to learn all the right things to say to make you feel better when you're shitting your pants or being a whiny baby. You know? Those are some of the best parts. Damn. It's just sad face, and I'm impatient. Or shy. Or something something.

Thanks for letting me vent. This sort of stuff can implode me.
Loneliness is a mother ******. I'm in a better place with it now, but it's still a trigger.

If I rewind back to late 2013 and then into 2014, all my issues finally started coming to the surface because it was my first serious relationship in years. Prior to her, all the partying/hot mess that was my life was easy. I did it away from my parents, so no real home impact and all my friends were equal levels of drinkers and drug users on the weekend. I felt good and life was simple. At least that's what I thought till I met her. Initially, things were great. There was an immediate connection and I started to fall for her, hard.

Looking back, it's easy to see where things went wrong. I had no idea who I was and being I was a blackout drinker with a weekend drug habit, my infatuation with her grew, but my shenanigans led her to create walls and distance herself in someways. Extrapolate that pattern over a few months and the first time I said "I love you", she didn't reciprocate. At the time, it was soul crushing, Christ, come to think of it, it was the 7/4/13 weekend. From there, it was random breaks of on again, off again with us. I knew she was amazing person, but I was so lost. Alcohol and drugs were my social life; I was devoid of real content and not equipped for an adult relationship.

The taste of a chance at real emotional connection and my inability at the time to not understand why I couldn't connect drove me deeper into my vices. In January 2014, I started seeing a therapist. In my naive mind, I thought, it would be like a doctors visit and I'd be fixed in no time. I pushed to get on an antidepressant and thought maybe that would fix the void within me. When it didn't, I went from being aloofly addicted, to "**** it, I'm an alcoholic". That pushed me to depths of low I didn't know existed.

The reason I share all that with you, is because I've come so far from that bottom. Now I look back and can objectively see what went wrong. Emotions are fickle and can change as fast as the wind. So don't let these temporary feelings of loneliness detract from what you're trying to do; better yourself.

I take comfort in knowing everything that has happened prior has led me to this point. We are putting in work at bettering ourselves. I know a time will come and I will meet the person I long to be with right at this very moment. When it happens, all the aforementioned work will be my and their reward. #Endrant

Side bar: I don't think any of us feel like we need to apologize for long posts; I'm an advocate for them and enjoy them. You can't always get to the root of the problem in a paragraph. At least I can't
Old 07-03-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 30 days Noolan & for anyone struggling with anything know it really does get better with time
Old 07-03-2015, 10:32 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheSereneTheif View Post
Way to go on 25 days . I am also getting the itch to become more mobile. I've gone for a few walks, but I really would like to go a little harder. How do you start after just getting sober? If I run, I start to feel like I'm going to have a heart attack.
The first day getting started was the hardest. I walked to the track, then streched a little, then ran to the point where I was uncomfortable. It was only one lap. I might have managed 4 laps running, that day. I walked a lap or two between running. The running did not feel good. I was a panting sweaty mess. The endorphin high after running did feel good. My advice starting out would be to jog till you feel uncomfortable, then walk, then jog again, then walk, etc. Try it every other day, for a few days, and see if you like it. I hate it and love it, in a surprisingly healthy way,
Old 07-03-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noolan View Post
Loneliness is a mother ******. I'm in a better place with it now, but it's still a trigger.

If I rewind back to late 2013 and then into 2014, all my issues finally started coming to the surface because it was my first serious relationship in years. Prior to her, all the partying/hot mess that was my life was easy. I did it away from my parents, so no real home impact and all my friends were equal levels of drinkers and drug users on the weekend. I felt good and life was simple. At least that's what I thought till I met her. Initially, things were great. There was an immediate connection and I started to fall for her, hard.

Looking back, it's easy to see where things went wrong. I had no idea who I was and being I was a blackout drinker with a weekend drug habit, my infatuation with her grew, but my shenanigans led her to create walls and distance herself in someways. Extrapolate that pattern over a few months and the first time I said "I love you", she didn't reciprocate. At the time, it was soul crushing, Christ, come to think of it, it was the 7/4/13 weekend. From there, it was random breaks of on again, off again with us. I knew she was amazing person, but I was so lost. Alcohol and drugs were my social life; I was devoid of real content and not equipped for an adult relationship.

The taste of a chance at real emotional connection and my inability at the time to not understand why I couldn't connect drove me deeper into my vices. In January 2014, I started seeing a therapist. In my naive mind, I thought, it would be like a doctors visit and I'd be fixed in no time. I pushed to get on an antidepressant and thought maybe that would fix the void within me. When it didn't, I went from being aloofly addicted, to "**** it, I'm an alcoholic". That pushed me to depths of low I didn't know existed.

The reason I share all that with you, is because I've come so far from that bottom. Now I look back and can objectively see what went wrong. Emotions are fickle and can change as fast as the wind. So don't let these temporary feelings of loneliness detract from what you're trying to do; better yourself.

I take comfort in knowing everything that has happened prior has led me to this point. We are putting in work at bettering ourselves. I know a time will come and I will meet the person I long to be with right at this very moment. When it happens, all the aforementioned work will be my and their reward. #Endrant

Side bar: I don't think any of us feel like we need to apologize for long posts; I'm an advocate for them and enjoy them. You can't always get to the root of the problem in a paragraph. At least I can't

You're right on all counts. It's easy to forget about the long term plan by giving in to the immediate. Thanks. That actually made me feel better .
Old 07-03-2015, 01:35 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Evening all.

Day 14 for me. 2 whole weeks! Feeling quite good. Had some cravings today but pulled through using the 'urge surfing' technique. Hoping they will lessen as my sober time increases.

Had a nice bbq this evening and im so full! Hoping to climb into bed soon with the ipad and catch up on all your posts

Take care all.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:01 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

How to deal with success

I had a great job interview today. It felt that I was already hired. I texted all of my references right away to coax the best out of them. It would be a fantastic turn of events to land this job.

So, I'm thinking it's time to celebrate. I had to check myself. It would be so easy to stop for a six pack, but I'm glad I didn't. First would be the shame of having to drop out here. Second, I don't think any of the good things that have ever happened can be due to alcohol, and I want good things to happen now. Thirdly, with the amount of guilt that I would feel, and the risk of falling back into the deadly pattern, I don't even think I could enjoy beer.

So I got some cold selzer, and have some free time to celebrate life in any way that I choose, without the addiction choosing for me. Be careful of success when it arrives. It can be a trigger. I will be ready next time.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on the interview and good choice with the seltzer, YuriO. It's so stupid how persuasive our addiction can be--something good happens? Drink!! Something bad happens? Drink!! I'm angry? Drink!! I'm happy? Drink!!

Stick close to here tonight. You've got this.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 14 Sulu

glad the interview went well - and that you resisted a bad idea YuriO

D
Old 07-03-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Hi all, coming to the end of day 12, well done Yuri on the interview!

Wow Noolan and Serenethief, I relate so much to both of your posts, thank you for your honesty.

Ive had a mad day, travelled 50miles to a big city AA meeting which went well, but afterwards it was hard, sat by a river and fought the urges, walked around the city and made it through on way home on bus though I decided to pop in to a pub and listen to jukebox, I ordered a lemonade and lime and felt so good for not caving in, had 4 mineral waters in another pub after then came home SOBER! Felt so empowering, but I wont make a habit of it, felt bored by the end and relieved to get home and on here in one piece.

Sorry for not responding to everyone's posts, off to bed now Im shattered, got my girls tomorrow so looking forward to that. Have a great sober weekend friends.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

1Step: Glad someone can relate . Congrats on making it back sober!

YuriO: Thanks for the tips. I went and did some cardio today. I await the soreness of Zeus tomorrow. Good luck on the job interview. I'm sure you'll kick its ass .

It's Friday. I've actually had some thoughts about leaving the house - but only went to the forest and watched ducks. Adorable bastards. They could disarm Stalin. It really helped to go watch them just be ducks. I mean, they're not concerned about anything but you know, being a duck. Quack. It's calming, and focusing and reminds me to be simple. When things get hard, just duck! Haha. Okay that was ******* horrendous. And this study just came out saying that animals actually have a separate sense of self, so I felt like we were all aware of each other having conversations in our heads. I don't know.

While I was there I turned off my phone. I haven't turned it back on. I won't until tomorrow comes, just in case someone tries to get a hold of me asking me to go out. I've just been trying to keep busy with work otherwise. And watching Archer. He makes me feel great about my life. Had an appointment with a counsellor this morning ,and she really made me think about what my plan is. What my goals are. We wrote some stuff out, and I think it was helpful. It was helpful.

I'll jam to the online meet later - maybe see some of you there?

I wish everyone an awesome evening, morning or afternoon.