Notices

Class of July 2015

Old 07-03-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Do you all know about the addictive voice? (AV) If not, you should google it and then you can find a forum right here on SR that talks a lot about using that approach toward sobriety. It's pretty awesome! Check it out. It's called Rational Recovery.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:57 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hi all its day 4 coming to an end here. I got through the witching hour by stuffing myself with food and ice cream. Then a hot bath and now in pj's and about to read my book which was suggested by another forum member. Its called 'My Lush Sobriety' by Sacha Scoblic. It makes for interesting reading This is my umpteenth attempt at long term sobriety.

I am working on alternative ways to manage my stress levels. Stress being my biggest trigger.

I'm also going to be staying close to SR this weekend
Old 07-03-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Nice job martina!

I wish I had kept track of how much ice cream I ate in those first two weeks... I'm sure I broke some records!
Old 07-03-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

For those who will be celebrating 4th of July tomorrow, be safe, have a Plan A, Plan B and an escape route if you are feeling anxious , stressed or pressured. Bring your own drink of choice, I would refill mine when it was halfway done so that I never had an empty and the thought of grabbing something different wouldn't enter my mind.

If I was being pressured to "just have one or two" I would claim stomach/intestinal issues and leave. Nobody questions you on that one!
Old 07-03-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

Although it deals specifically with Thanksgiving this is a great link for any social occasion:

Crying Out Now: Thanksgiving Survival Guide

that being said - use some judgement this weekend guys - if you think you'd be safer away from a 4th party listen to that voice. Your recovery is important

D
Old 07-03-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Day 3 is coming to an end. I think tomorrow and Sunday will be a little harder but if I can get through it I will just get stronger. I know it doesn't help to drink, I never feel better, just worse after all. Hope everyone in US has happy holiday and a good day to all the other countries! We can do this!
Old 07-03-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

You can do this marcellina

D
Old 07-03-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me right now.
(was previously in the June class but I didn't do what I'd intended to do.)
Nice to see some familiar names here and I know I'll learn more and get great support.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! Happy Fourth of July tmro!

I'm hanging in there at 33 days.

I have some thoughts of drinking everyday, but they are getting quieter and easier to manage.

I'm very proud of me right now for taking care of myself by not drinking these past 33 days... I want to keep it up and see what happens!

I already know what happens when I drink, that story is gross and boring.

Stay strong, everyone! We can do this together!
Old 07-03-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Caramel

D
Old 07-03-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

day 3 almost done. luckily holidays aren't much to me - i'm a loner so no parties to dodge. got serious stuff to deal with in the near future so i have to do this, this time y'all
Old 07-03-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hello Caramel,

Saw your post in the June class and just wanted to be sure you had checked in here. Welcome back and keep posting, you are going to help a bunch of other people as well as yourself here !

Go well, people !
Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Thank you, Fradley.
I've made myself some chamomile tea, and that and a protein drink will see me through the rest of this first day. Hoping to sleep better than the last few nights. Still, the moonlight's pretty!
Old 07-03-2015, 10:25 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Hi All,
I would like to join this class.
My quit date was June 2nd but I joined SR yesterday.

Its great to be here with you all. Cheers to sobriety!

For the first two weeks I was irritable, annoyed, exhausted. It got a lot better physically after that. But I was also withdrawing from nicotine so it was a double whammy. My digestive system is still rocked, but I am sleeping really well now, no more waking up in the middle of the night with insomnia.

Been reading Rational Recovery info on SR and that has helped tremendously.
The best part is waking up every day without regret. Its like a weight has been lifted off my chest.

So being in this "class" with you all is really cool. We can do it!

Be Well
Old 07-03-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kali15

D
Old 07-04-2015, 12:38 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Day 1 guys. I need to have a think about this. I don't feel ashamed. I made a clear decision to drink to stop the urges. They were strong and wouldn't stop. 2 hours is a long time saying no. Especially when feels like 6. But yeah, be back ina bit.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey were strong and wouldn't stop. 2 hours is a long time saying no.
I'm risking appearing unsympathetic here - i'm not - but there's no easy way to do this recovery thing.
Sometimes you really have to look at the longer view, rather than just the immediate one, ER.

I spent my first 30 days wanting a drink to varying degrees...it was tough, but I really wanted change and I believed what I'd been told...I knew things would get better and they did.

I think you need to steel yourself for a little discomfort, or you're not going to get very far?

Maybe another approach rather than simply gritting your teeth could help?
Have you ever read this link?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

I also recommend this one for making a recovery plan tailored to your needs.

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

I really believe you can do this ER - if you're prepared to sit with some uncomfortable feelings for a while?

D
Old 07-04-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Good morning/evening all. Day 3 for me and I didn't drench the bed with sweat last night :-D . I feel a clarity I haven't felt in a long time and unfortunately it's bringing grief because my partner left me a week ago.
Easy rider I agree, shame DOESNT help anything in fact it would make me drink more to numb it out. Acceptance feels better.

I have no idea if it's 4th of July across the pond yet but good luck to you all I will be thinking of you.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:00 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Can I ask what led you in the July group to stop drinking? I took an overdose and missed three days of work with a job I love, lost my partner and began to have tummy pain. I also looked at my empties and I had been drinking five bottles of wine a day. Still not entirely sure what clicked inside my drunken head - might have been the Dr I saw, he just happened to be an addiction expert and knew what to do and promised to support me.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:49 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Day 1 for me, one of many, but I know it can be my last. Joining July class is one piece of my plan, reading and posting often. Another part was getting honest with myself AND my husband. I posted a thread a little over a week ago recognizing, at least in the anonymous internet fashion, what my daily withdrawal symptoms were looking like, but I didn't stop.
Yesterday (while drinking) I talked to my husband, said it all out loud, the shaking is back, the anxiety, the night sweats, the sneaking drinks, a new one, slight numbness in my hand, the bruising. All out loud. That was hard but it's done.
So there's no alcohol in the house. I'm going to get through some coffee this morning and find some alternate meetings, at least 3 or 4. The one group I went to before was not a fit so I gave it up. But I've read so often that it can be worthwhile to try others and I may see that it does fit for me so I'm going to try.
Anyway, Hi July Class!