Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 42

Old 07-05-2015, 03:52 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Toots, insomnia is definitely no fun. I hope it improves soon!

Gilmer, have you had a chance to relax a bit? Sometimes when the end is in sight (eg your dad moving to assisted living), It can be even harder to keep going.

1Day, sorry to hear about your friend.

Marcher, you must be an awesome cook :-)

It has been a lovely quiet weekend here. Lots of people have departed to their summer camps and other trips so the pace is slower. We generally have a jigsaw puzzle going on in the equivalent of a living room (though much bigger!) and I'm finding that much more fun and relaxing than trying to do one by myself. One of the most difficult things to accept is that there are typically one or more people who die in any month. Up until recently they were all people I hadn't met because they were in the nursing home. Recently one of the first people I met here, a lovely and energetic lady, had a severe stroke and died a few days later. It's different from my parents' deaths. On the other hand, we will be celebrating the 90th birthday of one of our residents this month.

I do miss those of our Marchers who aren't posting here now. This thread has been a huge part of my life and has played a very significant role in my finally staying sober. I hope we can keep going for awhile longer!

Have a nice day.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:02 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking, Sass. Yes, I am enjoying my time away. I think it's true what you say about things being harder when you see the end in sight!

I am sorry about the death of your friend. That must have been quite jarring.

I also miss the other Marchers who have gone sporadic. I'm getting leery of posting, because I don't want to be a thread hog. This was such a great, hopping place! But until you posted today it almost dropped off the front page!
Old 07-05-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

I guess there comes a time in long term sobriety when SR is no longer a daily check in for many. I suppose it depends on the lives people lead outside SR. I need a daily reminder of my battle, because I live quite an isolated life, and I also isolated as a drinker, so it would be easy, if I didn't keep the thoughts fresh, to believe I could moderate.

Sass I am sorry that you lost a friend, I guess on the plus side, you get to meet vital people with amazing memories of distant times and places before those memories disappear forever.

Gilmer, with all you have been dealing with in the last months, it's is understandable that your head is not always where it should be found! You are constantly processing thoughts and emotions relating to your fathers last days and your involvement in them.

Hugs all Marchers
Old 07-05-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Administrator

(((sass)))

D
Old 07-05-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

I agree with Toots about the slowing down on this thread. It is also summer vacation time for a lot of us so we do tend to get busier.

To me, we've all had a fairly decent amount of time since we stopped drinking, even those who have had a slip up got right back on the horse, so the need for alchohol/drug related support is lessening as the cravings are so few and far between now and we have all developed our tools to deal with the things that made us hit the bottle.

When North came down this way in January, one of the things we talked about is, how lucky we were to find this group as, I am sure you all have noticed, that a lot of other monthly classes are not as busy as we have been and may be again.

I may not post everyday, but, I check in at least twice a day. I just don't have alot to say about my life, it just keeps rolling along. And with my parents being gone for over 20 years now, plus the fact that they went so quickly ( Dad passed 3 months after his liver cancer diagnosis, Mom passed 4 months after her brain diagnosis ) I've gotten no experience in long term care for any ill loved ones. I get tentative in offering advice on that issue because I'm afraid to be wrong. ( And while I understand hospice does a lot of great work, they really were dissapointing to me as they outright refused to help with my mother)

I would like to see some of the others check in still, and I really hope they aren't because they are doing that well!

In the mean time, I will still be checking in often and will always help where I can!
Old 07-05-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Thanks, Budd.

I appreciate your kindness in wishing you could offer me ESH about my dad. That's OK. I don't really expect anybody to give me the magic key; I just need to unload sometimes for my own sanity.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Thanks, Budd! This has been and is such a caring group. I often think it's less about advice and the key is support. :-)
Old 07-05-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

And you're all just so enjoyable, too!
Old 07-05-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I haven't been around this holiday 'cause I am doing so well. Spent the last few days cooking and helping around the folks' house, going to neighborhood cookouts and shooting backyard fireworks.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:20 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Ken I'm glad some people on this thread are enjoying summer at the moment because that sun is only on loan you know. Actually I can't complain because the sun is doing it's thing beautifully here today.

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Oh Marcher I hope batchelor friend hasn't brought you any of that stinky Icelandic fish!!!
Toots he didn't but, my goodness, he told some gross stories about Icelandic fish! Actually I was fascinated to learn that Iceland has one of the highest literacy rates in the world and more bookshops per head than almost any country.

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
Marcher, you must be an awesome cook :-)
I have my moments when I am a distinctly un-awesome cook Sass,
and you would not believe the basic things I cannot do. Pastry is my nemesis so I buy the frozen stuff and I'm not great at sweet stuff. But I thought of you yesterday when I made a couple of litres of lemon curd, I was wondering if you liked it.

Trachy you sound like you are going well. Gilmer I hope you are enjoying the hammock.

Dee I see that the "cyclone" was a fizzer!

Have a good day all.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:43 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Oooooh! YUM! I love lemon curd :-). I was introduced to it I think in the late fifties. My English uncle was chief engineer for Hartley's and he sent us some.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I totally agree! I can't imagine not liking any of the Marchers if I met them.

Trachy, I'm delighted to hear you are doing well!

I'm staying on the sober wagon and it's such a better way to live. Now that I'm feeling so much more settled into my new lifestyle, I really appreciate the benefits. I'm avoiding cliques and that is working well :-)
Old 07-05-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Marcher, you can have as much of my sun as necessary! Its that time of year where the northerners get their revenge on us. We've had near record highs for about 3 weeks now and nights are staying hot too. My air conditioner has been on high 24 hours a day for over 6 weeks now.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Sassy, sorry about your friend.

Budd, glad your life is rolling along, but always good to see whatever is going on in buddville, even if it's pot pie updates.

Wehav, present and accounted for. I don't write every day, but do read sr dang near every day.

Toots, hope you sleep better!

Marcher, I looove when you write about food.

My family is here from California, we are having a blast!!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

How is everyone doing? I'm back to day one I hope everyone is doing well. My girlfriend just left me but that is okay, I need to worry about stop drinking first. I will post in July thread but I just want to give everyone reason to stay sober. I will start AA this Thursday because meetings are in the evenings and that is the only time I can make it without affecting my work.
God bless everyone and stay sober.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:06 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Welcome, Humbug!
Old 07-05-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

The Incredible and Amazing human cosy

cosy.jpg
Old 07-06-2015, 12:07 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Haha Marcher how cute!

Humbug, sorry to hear about your GF, but as you say getting sober has to be a priority just now.

Trachy, Budd, good to hear from our 'Good ol' Boys'. Always happy to see you guys posting.

Sass, about 3 hours last night Really not good! I have some busy weeks coming up work wise as I an doing overtime to cover holidays, so I need to get sleep to function. I am hoping it levels out soon.

Gilmer how did pops do in the respite care?

Hugs to all Marchers and hope for a good week ahead.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Hi, Humbug! It's good to see you! I know you from the 24-hour thread.

Toots, the place has called me to report a couple of minor incidents--but it was nothing they couldn't handle. I pick him up today about 1 pm.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Marcher, I'm at a loss for words ....

Toots, I get the sleep stuff - I had 2 hours of very light sleep last night! We can prop each others' eyelids open with toothpicks.

Gilmer, I hope you are feeling a little relief that your dad made it through the weekend. Those folks at the nursing home are used to taking care of people with dementia - though that's one job I don't think I could do.