Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 42

Old 06-24-2015, 12:58 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Sorry 1day, I hope you can provide some emotional support for your friend.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:02 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

What's new with you, Toots? How is your knee doing after doing the 5K?

Today I go to see the spine surgeon about the herniated discs in my neck.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:24 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes gilmer

D
Old 06-24-2015, 03:33 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Gilmer, I'll be thinking of you! Please let us know how it goes.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Gilmer I hope it goes as well as possible, I hope to see a post from you when I check in here in the morning.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thanks, you guys. I'll let you know what he says.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:44 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks Gilmer
Old 06-24-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I saw the spine surgeon.

He looked at my MRI and said I have 3 bone spurs in my vertebrae, but they weren't encroaching on my spinal column. I also have 3 herniated discs.

Although my primary care doctor thought the sky was falling, this guy says it's no big deal. He said I should go to physical therapy twice a week for two months. He will also give me two months' supply of a prescription anti-inflammatory. I will get neck exercises to do that should strengthen me.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks for letting us know, Gilmer! Good to see a surgeon being careful :-)
Old 06-24-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Gilmer, glad the spine surgeon thinks it not as bad as originally thought!

After a few days I can laugh about my day the other day. Here's a quick rundown of what happened.

Woke up, went to let Jez out, Max gets tangled in my feet and trips me into the litter box that Jez decided needed to be moved and nosed through.

Phone rings, Windows Tech scan call.

Go to put rear seat in truck, new toolbox isn't as waterproof as it was supposed to be, full of water from Sundays rains.

Phone rings, Window Tech scam again.

Phone rings, boss telling me that they lost certifacation for training I did 15 years ago, if I cant provide copy of cert, I must go through again. 2 days of mind numbingly boring training.

Guy who only works here 1 day a week must also do training or will not be allowed to work anymore, he has a full time day job, and bosses won't create a night training class. I've been asking for a night class for him and others that have worked here for 9 years.

Phone rings again, yes another Windows Tech scam, this guy must really like the name I call him (which cant be repeated here)

Ready to head in to work, didn't notice flat tire on truck earlier.

Finally get to work about 2:45, I don't open until 3, but there are 2 groups of people waiting at the door and mad at me because theyv'e been waiting for 45 minutes. I guess I'm supposed to show up hours early in case someone opening times dont count for some people!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry to hear about your back Gilmer hope the physical therapy really helps
Old 06-24-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Gilmer: That sounds like a reasonable treatment plan... so much less invasive than actual surgery!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tootsl1 View Post
Sorry 1day, I hope you can provide some emotional support for your friend.
Toots: I want to thank you for encouraging me to reach out to my friend. After reading your post on SR, I did reach out and send my friend, "C" a message of support and love. For some reason, I was hesitant about bothering her at this time. But, after thinking it through, I know she would welcome a message. I have been in touch with her eldest daughter, and the news is not good at all, so it was important that I did not procrastinate.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers from a sunny blue Paradise. Gilmer I am so pleased to hear your news, better that your main doctor was over-cautious but this sure sounds treatable.

Ken don't you love those customers who think you'll be open when they show up irrespective of the opening times displayed? My particular favourites are the ones who are surprised that we aren't open on Sundays. When I say that Sun-Mon is our weekend they tend to look a bit surprised that we don't want to have the shop open for them seven days a week.

1Day I am glad you got in touch with your friend.

Hope everyone's going well. Have a good day peeps.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

1day, When my late BIL was dying of liver cancer a lot of his friends and his sister couldn't handle it or didn't know what to say. Well from my experience people dying want to talk about just about anything normal. We would visit a couple of times a week, it was hard on us, it was an ugly descent into death but I have memories of laughter and fun, we teased and reminisced I have nothing to regret. I know his sister hates that I have those memories and she doesn't.
I'm not saying you have to visit, it may not be possible, but these days it's easier to keep in touch anyway. She will feel better for knowing she isn't being avoided by someone, and you will feel better for reaching out to her. I am glad my words touched you, but more, I am glad you are sober and able to be a friend to her in her need.

Gilmer I am glad you don't need surgery, you will have to let me know what neck exercises you do I know I need to do some more often than I remember.

Budd what a day from h3ll! Good to know you are able to look back on it in humour. And how differently we deal with those type of days now.
Funny, there seemed to be more days like that when I drank and I think now that being hungover every morning and feeling ashamed and guilty was a heck of a crap way to start my day, no wonder I made mistakes, coped badly with things going wrong and fell back into the bottle at night. But what a stupid cycle to get myself in!
Now if I have a crap day, I know there is only 24 hours in it and tomorrow has to be better. And it is. I can cope with anything because sober I am physically psychologically and emotionally stronger. It took a lot of recovery to get to this stage, but I am here now. I know drinking won't make anything better. ( doesn't mean I'm not on alert for AV. It makes me more adamant that I won't ever let myself get back to that place.)

Gil, my knee has been fine since the run, my neck is giving me grief at the moment though. Just the usual nothing too bad, but constant low level.

Talking constant pain, Dee how are things with you mate??

Marcher, I'm still waking through the night because it is too light! ( even if a Scottish summer is colder than your winter!)
Old 06-25-2015, 12:09 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm doing fine at the moment thanks Toots

D
Old 06-25-2015, 03:05 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Toots: Thank you for sharing your experience. I guess my friend is worse off than I thought. I don't even know if she is reading the messages my daughter and I sent. There is an updated post stating that "C seems more alert today and was able to smile at her family". That was a bit shocking to read! No matter... her daughters will know and appreciate all of those who care for their mother. And, one thing I learned through the sharing of our Marchers... my friend may have some good days mixed in with the not so good days. I sent her daughter my phone number if either she or her mother want to talk .

I am up now and enjoying the cool and fresh night air... we had heavy storms so now the air smells great. Berk will be here at 7am to spend two days at grandma's house, and I am looking forward to his company!
Old 06-25-2015, 05:17 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

It is a good thing to make the kind gesture no matter what, 1Day.

Tomorrow, Lord willing, my dad and I are going to the assisted living place for a tour and questions. I wanted for him to be reassured that it wasn't an 18th-century insane asylum, and for him not to be blindsided when he does go for good.

I told him about it. At first he kept talking about his blood pressure, but I think he managed to hear something, because at a couple points he shrugged grudgingly and said, "Whatever you want."

Then he reverted to complete dementia for the rest of the day.

I am back to my McDonalds in the morning routine, by the way.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Oh--as he was going back to his room, he said he had confidence in me. I hope he meant that.
Old 06-25-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Gilmer: I am with you in spirit as you tour the assisted living facility.