Class of March 2013 Part 42

Old 07-09-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Love you, too, Trach.

(uh, it's after 10! )
Old 07-10-2015, 01:49 AM
  # 262 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Oh Gilmer, what a shock for you, but what a relief he is no longer suffering pain or confusion. Am holding your hand through the next days as you bring those who loved your father together to send him off. Xx
Old 07-10-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Thanks, Toots.

After a good night's sleep, I feel much more normal.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Good morning marchers from a sunny if chilly Paradise. We really are having a cold snap this weekend, four days of chilly temperatures and lots of snow in the alpine regions. Needless to say I will be hugging the heater.

Gilmer I am glad you feel more normal this morning -- well your morning -- the power of sleep is incredible isn't it? Even if you don't sleep particularly well the rest can make a tremendous difference. Please let us know when your Dad's service will be so we can tune in our thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

My new volunteer job seems to have gone into liftoff. The news about the Committee changes was published on FB a few days ago and we've gone from no bookings to six applications! Now to get my head around the contracts and the order things are sent out ...

I hope you all have a nice weekend.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Wow, that's great, Marcher!

The funeral Mass here in VA (where he's lived for the last ten years) is on Tuesday the 14th at 10:30 am EST.

The gravesite blessing in PA (where he lived the whole rest of his life) is Thursday the 16th at 1 pm EST.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Thanks, Gilmer. I'll be thinking of you and him at those times especially!
Old 07-10-2015, 11:38 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  

Quick hello before work. I will be doing a lot of overtime during the rest of July and August so won't have as much time for reading and posting. So if I'm not here, don't worry!

Gilmer, glad you had a good sleep.

Marcher your fleece wrap arrived in time for the big chill!

Duff great to see you back btw, what news? X

Hugs all
Old 07-11-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Yeah! Please tell us about your trip, Duff!
Old 07-11-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Good morning, all!

Thank you for letting us know the times, Gilmer. You will be in my thoughts too. I'm glad you were able to get some rest.

Ah Chicago was so wonderful! The weather! It was 66f one day (!!!!) and in the 70s with NO humidity the rest of the week. Budd, help me out here, to a Floridian that is Heaven - absolute Heaven in the middle of summer. So I ran every single morning along the river front which now leads to the lake front and back (they just opened it up - before you had to run through streets to get to the lake and I did not like that at all).

We kept busy with lots of activities. We hit the (1) Field Museum of Natural History; (2) The Shedd Aquarium; (3) the Adler Planetarium; (4) the Lincoln Park Zoo; (5) The Chicago Museum of Science & Industry; (6) The top of the Wilson Tower 103 stories up!!!; and of course; (7) a CUBS GAME! Oh - and we could see the 4th of July fireworks from our balcony so we enjoyed them from the safety of 54 stories above the crowds.

It's hard to find cultural experiences in Florida so we jammed as much in as we could. We actually have an apartment there but rarely use it. Next summer I think we'll spend more time there - it's easier now that the boys are getting older and the city offers so much for them to experience. The big question is, can our Florida dogs survive life in the big city?? Hahaha. I think they're in for a big shock.

Budd, I promise it wasn't us who stole your cable ID!!!!! I hope you're getting that mess all sorted out. I did think of you while we were there. Our apt (in Marina City) is right above a Ten Pin bowling center.

Marcher, stay warm!!

Sass, you must be enjoying some beautiful weather in Maine right now. It sounds like you are enjoying your new home and that makes me so happy.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!! xoxo
Old 07-11-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Happy weekend, Marchers!
Old 07-11-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Duff, aside from the baseball game, and Brookfield Zoo instead of Lincoln Park, thats exectly the same thing I would see when I would head into Chicago and had time. That weather sounds great compared to the triple 90's we are getting.

A friend of mine used to manage that bowling center before the modernization, every once in a while he'd call me to help him out with one of the machines.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:15 AM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Ten Pins is a beautiful bowling alley but a little too nightclubish for my taste. And the only time my AV reared his ugly head was at the Cubs game. I mean, baseball is so boring what else are you going to do but drink beer?? That was AV talking. Yet somehow I managed to survive without a drink!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Gilmer - so sorry to hear about your dad, but the sense of relief and gratefulness in the way he went out is apparent in your posts. I can only pray my last day will be like that.

I just got back Colorado at 2am. I'm back in Philly this week and then it's off to Oklahoma City the week after.

My girlfriend is reading the script for Up in the Air for her thesis class. That movie is turning into my life. Besides my vacation next month, I have two work trips scheduled in August to Lansing, Michigan and LA. After that, I think I need talk to my boss about cutting back on the travel. I know it's easy to send me around the country because I'm still technically single and have no kids. But spending more time on airplanes and in hotels than being with my friends and family is starting to take its toll.

I just picked up a new sponsee last week and felt horrible that I was out of town and couldn't take him around to meetings.

Have a good weekend, all!
Old 07-11-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Duffster, I envy you that trip. I think I envy you the weather you enjoyed more than anything. :-) Sounds lovely. I hate summers in Virginia.

Gilmer, hope you're hanging in there. We love you.

Toots, are you in the States still? I have so much catching up to do. Love you lady.

digdug, you're a force of nature! Here's hoping you spend a little more time with your feet on the ground henceforth. And I was in love with that movie for about the first three quarters, and then it fizzled for me somehow. I need to watch it again.

I attended my first AA meeting in probably over two years tonight. It was excruciating at first. It's [blanking] HARD to walk in to a brand-new meeting alone. I wanted to blend into the wall but raised my hand when the leader if there was anyone new to that meeting. I couldn't NOT raise my hand. It was too small a meeting. Snort.

Pretty sure I'll never be a twelve-stepper, but there is inherent value in my hearing both the ugly stories of others before they achieved sobriety and the happy stories of afterward. And it's humbling. And I'm grateful to them for sharing.

Anyone I didn't mention by name, I'll catch you next time. Hugs.
Old 07-11-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Meso - walking into the rooms can be tough in the beginning, but everyone in that room had to do it as well. They understand exactly how it feels. We support that kind of courage.

As for working or not working the steps, don't even worry about that right now. Just get into the good habit of getting to meetings on a regular basis and maybe try to get some phone numbers after meetings so you have some people to call. And trust me, they WANT you to call them. I love when a newcomer calls me. It helps me as much as it helps them.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

The past few days have been so busy, mostly good, as Berk's mom and dad went camping in Wyoming, so I am babysitting him. This has been quite an adjustment for my daughter and her husband... S adjusted right away and it appears she thinks of him as a new little friend... she keeps saying hi to him... like 20 times a day.
I was so tired, since I have both B and S in my care as it is "date night" for daughter and hubby, that I almost went to bed. I am so thankful I checked in here.

Gilmer: My heart goes out to you and your family as you grieve the loss of your father. I was shocked to read that he had passed. For some reason, I had it in my head that he would live for several more years, as he had such a strong personality. However, I believe that death comes in God's time.
I will be praying for you and yours, especially during the times of both services - the one in VA and the one in PA.

Duff: The Chicago trip sounded wonderful... I am sure the boys have made memories that they will treasure for their entire life.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:37 AM
  # 277 (permalink)  

Duff sounds like you had great fun on your trip, I'm sure you are back home refreshed!

Mesoso, my courageous friend, well done on attending that meeting! I'm sure some f2f help will give you added incentive to get yourself together. I know it's tough at your young age to consider a life without booze. But if you were diabetic you would have to consider a life without certain foods. So you were born with this 'allergy to alcohol' or a dis functional gene or whatever, the fact is love, you know that you are incapable of having a healthy relationship with alcohol, so as in any disfunctional relationship, you will live a happier life without it. I feel you need to choose to live without alcohol, rather than consider yourself short changed. I know that you have plenty of sober hobbies that fulfil you, and if you increase your social circle with more sober friends, you will begin to realise alcohol is not the be all and end all of any part of your world.
As for me, I am still in Bonnie Scotland. Looks like we won't be returning to the States as the new job hubby has been offered has just too much going for it for him to refuse. Of course we are both disappointed not to be returning, but my priority ( as he spends so much of his waking life working) is that this new job will give him a better working environment. I have been encouraging him to accept, even as a part of me, the selfish part, was screaming ' nooooo!!! I want to go back to the states!!! I know that this is the right thing to do and we won't have regrets.

Gilmer I hope you are doing okay, I imagine there is a lot to organise, but you have a strong loving family to support you through this. I hope you are letting people help you with the details.

DD, hubby travels a lot, not usually flying, thou he expects to do a little more of that in the new job, and exotic as it sounds staying in different places and living in hotels, it's not at all. He never gets to enjoy the places he stays and living out of a suitcase is a chore. I hope your bosses listen to you and reduce your hours away.

Sass how is your summer going? Are you all better now?

1day, I have such a happy vision of S & B it would be wonderful if you could post a picture!

Are you at the market this morning Marcher?

Budd, how is your Buddmobile now? Everything fully functional and in its place??

Trachy

Happy SunMonday Marchers xx
Old 07-12-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  

Hi, DD and MeSo!

Toots, all I have to do today is go through some stacks of my dad's old papers (I'm fortunate he documented well and made proper arrangements while he was still himself and very lucid).

Monday we'll alert places that my dad is deceased. Monday, also, my in-laws are coming to stay overnight (thank the Lord my daughter's coming to clean--my house literally does look like a tornado hit it!).

Selfishly speaking, I'm bummed that you won't be coming back to the States--but it sounds like a terrific career move for your husband, and I'm very glad for him. It seemed like his current company jerked him around a bit (the back-and-forth with moving to the States, etc.).
Old 07-12-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  

Yep, Toots, I am finally all better! I'm really feeling much more settled and happy. I've never felt so relaxed on a day-to-day basis in my life. Time flies as I'm very busy and that's a good thing. I'm finding it easy to adjust things so that I have free time when I want it and activities when that suits. Sassy-kitty is more relaxed than I've ever seen her - my little empath!

As I'm approaching a year sober (in August, I'm gaining some new insights into my past drinking habits, behaviors and thinking. Although I thought I had accepted that I couldn't drink, i finally realized that I hadn't fully accepted that reality. During my earlier many relapses, the AV kept whispering without my being aware of it. When I wondered if I could ever stay sober and occasionally wondered if I really wanted to, that was the AV trying to undermine me. Now that I'm feeling solid, I am also aware that this is no longer difficult. The meds help but they aren't the answer alone. The main thing they did was to quiet down the AV and that was the final nudge I needed.

Many things have helped me in this journey and I fully believe that you all made the difference
Old 07-12-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 280 (permalink)  

((((Sass))))

We love you!