Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 6

Old 07-07-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Incontrol, that made me laugh 😀

Amp and Cauliflower, great posts. What you both said makes total sense to me. Thank you so much for sharing. It helps to know we are in the same boat!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all,
Yep, done the 60-90 day roller coaster. What a ride. 3 calendar months today and hit 90 a few days ago. How do I feel? Pretty good but as those who read my posts will have seen I had some major wobbles and big misgivings about this whole project not that long ago. I am going to look back at some of my very early posts if I start to slide but right now I feel great, so there is definitely something to look forward to

There is not a single thing that hasn't improved so far. It has not been easy but the bottom line is I'm better off in every aspect of my life, and in a place I could only have dreamed about 3 months ago. I also had the good fortune to meet all you nice people on this journey too, for which I am very grateful.

Best wishes
OMD
Old 07-07-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Good morning all, catch up laggers.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Great post Amp. Thanks for the knowledge.
Definitely cyclical. Almost manic-depressive!

Got to give a shout out to the ladies who get moody due to menstrual cycle. I could not imagine living with emotions that change as often as the weather does!
That is so funny Inc...it's a curse I tell ya!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Just wanted to check in and say hello. nothing much new on my end. Things have been pretty smooth. Take care everybody.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Morning all! Just put my head around the door of the June 2015 group. Just wanted to remind myself of where I was a couple of months ago. Guys in there struggling with all that early days stuff, some making it up to their first month. A lot of people saying things like they're just grateful for another day sober. Don't hear that so much in our group anymore although it used to be quite a common comment, I think. Maybe it's an indicator that we are more comfortable with our sobriety and there is confidence that we will progress comfortably through the days to come? On the other hand it is dangerous to take it for granted... Or maybe the struggle remains but certain things just go without saying? Interested to hear your views!

Anyway! Grateful for another day sober here. My sobriety, as every day, is my number 1 priority today.

It's goodbye to drizzly London and back to sunny Spain this afternoon. Looking forward to getting back. Enjoy the day!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

It's Wednesday morning, summer vacation for my son, and he is still sound asleep. I don't know how or when our clock got so messed up already! I tried to keep the same schedule, but it just is not working!

Amp, for me I feel that I have come to terms with my sober lifestyle, but still am "on" all the time. I don't know how long that will be, but it works for me for now. Eventually, I know we will just be naturally sober, and not have to do that dance of back and forth thinking whenever we are offered a chance to drink. It is getting far more easier though. I will not take my sobriety for granted, and I am still grateful everyday to wake up feeling like I have a chance here! I love my sober life, I love how I feel, I love how I am getting stronger physically everyday, I love my new found will power, I love my positive outlook on life, I love my laugh, I love feeling motivated to get things done. All of those things were lost in a drunken hungover fog.

Safe travels back to sunny Spain, Amp!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Tjanks Cauliflower! At the airport now. Should be in the air in an hour's time. It's only 2 and a half hours from London to Gibraltar.

Bars here are full of people boozing away. Some heading off on holiday but plenty book ng just tired and jaded. Glad that's not me!!
Old 07-08-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all,
Hope you had a good trip back Amp. I am going to try to answer your question from my standpoint. As I see it, right now I have a real choice whether to drink or not. That choice didn't exist 3 months ago, so in that sense I am in a completely different place. Each day I choose not to drink, and each day the choice is exercised having regard to slightly different factors, and some days the choice is tougher than others. But as I see it no one is making me either drink or not drink. Most days the choice is by now of course a relatively easy one, but it is a real choice. How is it different from before I stopped drinking? The answer is that my decision making was affected by my physical or psychological addiction (how you define it doesn't matter), so I wasn't really making a choice. Now I see it for what it is.

Is it a real choice if you have decided never to drink again? Well I haven't decided that, and probably never will. When I stopped smoking (a long time ago) I didn't decide then, no more ever, but I now don't really make a choice any more in the sense that no one ever offers me a cigarette and I never think about going to buy any.

This probably does not fit into any accepted theory but that's how I see things. Occasionally I need to remind myself what is at stake when I exercise my choice, but with diminishing frequency. In real terms, I certainly haven't chosen to give up anything. If anything, I have chosen to reacquire my life and those I love.

Best wishes
OMD
Old 07-08-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 72. Feeling ok. I had to get a Mountain Dew after work and it's good and ice cold. Going to make a quick dinner and then watch something funny on Netflix.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily123 View Post
Just wanted to check in and say hello. nothing much new on my end. Things have been pretty smooth. Take care everybody.
Was nice to see the bunny ears!
Glad all is going well.

Same here. Well, as well as well can be.
I'd get more into it, but that's a deep subject!

None for me.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Good morning all, catch up laggers.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:28 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Morning!
Old 07-09-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Up an atom
Old 07-09-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OMD View Post
Hi all,
Hope you had a good trip back Amp. I am going to try to answer your question from my standpoint. As I see it, right now I have a real choice whether to drink or not. That choice didn't exist 3 months ago, so in that sense I am in a completely different place. Each day I choose not to drink, and each day the choice is exercised having regard to slightly different factors, and some days the choice is tougher than others. But as I see it no one is making me either drink or not drink. Most days the choice is by now of course a relatively easy one, but it is a real choice. How is it different from before I stopped drinking? The answer is that my decision making was affected by my physical or psychological addiction (how you define it doesn't matter), so I wasn't really making a choice. Now I see it for what it is.

Is it a real choice if you have decided never to drink again? Well I haven't decided that, and probably never will. When I stopped smoking (a long time ago) I didn't decide then, no more ever, but I now don't really make a choice any more in the sense that no one ever offers me a cigarette and I never think about going to buy any.

This probably does not fit into any accepted theory but that's how I see things. Occasionally I need to remind myself what is at stake when I exercise my choice, but with diminishing frequency. In real terms, I certainly haven't chosen to give up anything. If anything, I have chosen to reacquire my life and those I love.

Best wishes
OMD
Interesting, OMD, what you say about choice. I think I'd agree with that. I also think you're right when you say that you can't say you'll never drink again. Never say never, right?

Day 80 for me and feeling good
Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Morning, All. Amp, congrats on 80 days and making it through your trip. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. I'm doing well this morning. Like I mentioned before I've continued to have thoughts romantisizing drinking. When I quit I never had the "one day at a time" mindset bc that had led to the "I'll just drink today and start day one tomorrow" thought process. Over the last few days I've actually been using the one day at a time reasoning to get through the triggers. I imagine they will subside but it is kind of annoying to spend so much time thinking about alcohol. It helps to know you guys are here. Hope you all have a good one!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  

((Swim Kim)) it will pass. Do what you need to and keep close by.

Up and atom

I've been feeling pretty good the last couple days. My class ends next week. So I'll probably pick up more hours at work. Nothing much new but sometimes that's a good thing. Have a good one everybody.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lily123 View Post
((Swim Kim)) it will pass.
I think it was the great Scottish leader, William Wallace who asked his men to come up with a thought that would console him in troubled times yet prevent him from becoming conceited when things were going well. Their reply was, "This too shall pass"
Old 07-09-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Thank you, Amp and Lily. Your support means a lot to me!
Old 07-09-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  
OMD

Hi all!
Welcome home Amp and congrats on your 80 days! Yup, never say never, but that's only because you don't want to frighten your AV and create lots of angst. By taking things one day at a time no one needs to worry, including the AV. So Kim I don't think there's anything wrong in taking things one day at a time. In fact there is a lot to be said for it

Things are pretty good for me right now. I have a big test on Saturday but I have a plan. Ended up swimming, cycling and running today (at various times) so I accidentally did a triathlon! Feels a lot better than drinking, for sure.

Have a good one everyone.

OMD