Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 6

Old 07-02-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  

I will certainly bear that in mind SW. Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 08:02 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Good morning all.

Amp...sounds like a great opportunity to cement your resolve. You will be even stronger and happier when you don't relapse this time.

Maybe you can buy a ticket for me and I'll go for moral support

Have a great day everyone!
None for me today.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:20 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  
OMD

Morning all!

Amp, while I don't want to sound complacent on your behalf I have complete faith in you. You will just reflect on how far you have come if and when that becomes relevant, and you will remind yourself of some simple basic facts. Try to enjoy the trip, your mum obviously wants to see you and the kids, and try not to worry about the booze ahead of time because the chances are that it will turn out to be less of a big deal (last night was one of the major events I had been dreading and it was fine). Take pleasure in being sober, you have every reason to be incredibly proud. If the worst comes to the worst and you're thinking about taking a drink just ask yourself do you really fancy doing another 8 months?

Have a great trip and keep us posted!
None for me today
OMD
Old 07-02-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! OMD, you're so right about keeping positive! Getting ahead and getting anxious for no reason as usual! The present, the present, the present!!!

Curiously enough The Present was the name of my last record. Not just a coincidence. Let's concentrate on making the most of the moment!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Good morning,
Yesterday was Canada Day, it's like the American 4th of July, kind of, Americans are a 1000 x's more patriotic! We went to town and listened to some bands playing in the park and ate from food trucks. We decided to do our own fireworks at home with some friends instead of enduring the crowed at night. It was fun. We stayed up late, so we slept in this morning.

I am so tired, feeling a headache, not from a hangover though. Which is great. Day 72 for me today. I can't believe it's already July!

Amp, I was in London a couple times and I loved it. We really had a great time the last visit, we stayed in Putney, the time before that we stayed in a nephews flat in Notting Hill and we went to the market on Portabello Road, that was a sight to be seen. We caught onto the underground pretty quick and we went everywhere! You will do well Amp, just stay focused and don't let your guard down. You can continue your running, that will relieve some of the stress and clear your mind from being ON all the time. If I was going, I would pack a bunch of books and my meditation clips. I can't remember if you have kids? When we went, we had our kids, so it was not a free for all party in the pub every night. Are you staying with family? Don't forget to check in here often.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  

I'm going without my wife but with my two kids, Cauliflower (12 and 9 yrs old). I'll be staying between my mum's and my sister's (near Putney!) and family will be descending on mass. It will be barbecue central and plenty of in-house partying. I told my mum to remember to put alcohol free beer and tonic water on the shopping list!

Well done on Canada day btw!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Family get togethers are probably tricky. Family tend to be more open with one another, and you may encounter some questions from well intended cousins...I recently started reading a book, "I Quit, now what" (or something like that) and in the first chapter he was pretty blunt on how to deal with the person who insists that you have a drink with them; after the fifth try he basically told his buddy to F off, I'm not drinking! LOL. With family, you can pretty much say anything!

Last night after telling our friends that I quit, I got the Why? question asked for the first time. They are close friends, so I get that, kind of like family. I just said it wasn't working for me anymore and I just don't like it anymore. I also said I am scared to become a raging out of control alcoholic (which in reality, was the path I was on). I was told that I don't have a problem. I just smiled, because they were just being polite I think. Trying to make me feel better maybe? I don't know, but it was a first for me. Thankful the conversation changed to another topic, and we had fun! I was drinking my club soda with lemon while they sipped on their drinks. One thing I did notice, they only had one or two drinks each. I know, I shouldn't be watching and counting everyone's drinks, but it is weird...I used to drink way more then that with them, how could they not see that I was a drunk?!

I am heading to their campsite today and spending the night with my friend. Our husbands are working, so it will just be us, the kids, and possibly things that go bump in the night. Should be fun! And I am not drinking!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  

I think we're on a learning curve and it will get easier. People will get used to the idea we don't partake and new people will not expect anything else...
Old 07-02-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Not having the best day. My ex started in on me in texts accusing me of not having brushed our son's hair this morning and not giving him his vitamin. Both are not true. He then went on and on until I just turned off my phone until now at break. If there's an emergency he has my work number. I don't normally have my phone out at work but we had our potluck early and that's when I saw them. He gets like this before his mom comes to visit and she's coming for a month. I want a drink so badly but that will only make things so much worse. Sorry to vent. My break is about over so I'm going to take some headache pills and go back to work.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Take it easy Angie, these things pass. Sorry for your stress.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  
OMD

Sorry to hear that Angie. When you get to the end of your day you'll be super glad you didn't have a drink

So I had yet another work thing today. Lots of drinking going on, am getting used to being a non drinker. Had a tiresome 15 mins at the end before I was able to extract myself from the unwanted attention of someone who had had too much to drink. Grim.

Anyway, it will now be a short while before I have another obvious pressure point but to be honest it wasn't that bad, or at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Take care all
OMD
Old 07-02-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don;t let someone else lead you to drinking Angie - they're not worth it and you're worth so much more

D
Old 07-02-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much! I'm feeling a lot better. I'm so grateful for this website and all of you. The ex and I are leaving each other alone and I think that's for the best for the next couple of days. He can call our son whenever he wants but I don't think we need to talk to each other unless necessary. I just can't talk to him at the moment and I don't want to argue. I'm sipping on ice cold water with peach mango crystal lite. It's one of my favorite drinks. The potluck had a lot of yummy food and I didn't pig out at all. My choice of dessert was red and blue jello with fruit. My son and our kitty, Elvis are taking it easy tonight and it might be a netflix kid movie night.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:47 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

Good morning all, catch up laggers.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:02 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Morning Zab
Old 07-02-2015, 10:05 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Good evening Lily.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Thanks guys! OMD, you're so right about keeping positive! Getting ahead and getting anxious for no reason as usual! The present, the present, the present!!! Curiously enough The Present was the name of my last record. Not just a coincidence. Let's concentrate on making the most of the moment!
I need constant reminders about living the present. Make the most of it.....our present will become our past.

The way we feel today emotionally, is largely shaped by the past.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angie247 View Post
Thank you all so much! I'm feeling a lot better. I'm so grateful for this website and all of you. The ex and I are leaving each other alone and I think that's for the best for the next couple of days. He can call our son whenever he wants but I don't think we need to talk to each other unless necessary. I just can't talk to him at the moment and I don't want to argue.
Good call Angie. We have the choice if we want to talk with a-holes or not. I mean really. Didn't brush hair or take vitamins? Wow.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

Hey Amp. Hang in there. You always give such thoughtful advice to us; I hope you turn some of that inward. Don't let your environment push you to drink. You deserve so much more. You've made lots of progress over the last 2-3 months - keep that going! Remind yourself why you are here...if the triggers get to be too much then you have every right to remove yourself from the situation. Don't worry about what your family members might think - this is about you and your health. Sending you lots of strength! I know you can do this.

Angie, I'm glad you are feeling better. I echo what Dee said, it's not worth letting the actions of others push you to drink.

Good morning/afternoon/evening to everyone else. We have today off work which is wonderful. I'm up bright any early and just finished my breakfast and coffee. Starting the long weekend off right! Unfortunately for my roommates they may not be feeling so fresh this morning. It was one of my roommate's birthday, so we all hung out last night (which we hardly ever do) and everyone was drinking. I declined (obvi) even as my roommate who hardly ever drinks asked if I wanted just one (nope!). They all got pretty tipsy. I'm glad I wasn't in that boat.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done good Angie