Notices

Class of April 2015 Part 6

Old 06-30-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by Cauliflower View Post
I`ve been looking for an excuse to buy a foam roller. No one gives good massages around here.
Treat yourself with some of the money you've saved

OMD
PS. Congratulations!
Old 06-30-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Yup Dee. Not too many people know that film. Very cool.

If you like arty films, last night I watched A Girl Walks Home Alone in the Dark. Iranian filmmaker. Fantastic. Sergio Leon western, Italian New Wave, Cinema Verite influences. A lonley vampire in a wasteland town in Iran. Excellent. Netfix. Watch it. It backs up my slogan: Iranians Are Brilliant. (And gorgeous)

Omd the young woman at the running store used a rolling massage stick on my calf the other day. Wow!!! It had hard nubs to dig into the knots. Like I said, a lot of this foot stuff is apparently because of my tight calves, pulling on everything.

Trying hard to look forward instead of backward in regret. What can I do now???

And I honestly can't believed I'm not drinking. There is a daily battle but I hold the castle gates against the battering ram for an hour and that's it. It's over.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 09:08 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Catch up laggers.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Morning all!

Johnny, looking backwards in regret is likely to cause depression while looking forward into the unknown can provoke anxiety.

Although it's hard, perhaps the best route is to try to make the most of the present? Almost every present situation can be improved by applying a positive mind set to it.

That takes plenty of will power and you really need to want it. I find it hard because, I think, like many drinkers/ex drinkers, I actually feel pretty comfortable with depression.

Something I'm working on. Have a think about it
Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
OMD

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
Morning all!

Johnny, looking backwards in regret is likely to cause depression while looking forward into the unknown can provoke anxiety.

Although it's hard, perhaps the best route is to try to make the most of the present? Almost every present situation can be improved by applying a positive mind set to it.

That takes plenty of will power and you really need to want it. I find it hard because, I think, like many drinkers/ex drinkers, I actually feel pretty comfortable with depression.

Something I'm working on. Have a think about it
I agree with that, to focus on the present, otherwise I just get worked up. Meditation helps. Also I hear you Amp about being comfortable with depression but I think that for some people that could just be a product of long term alcohol abuse rather than a preexisting condition. I am fundamentally happier now than when I was drinking and I was certainly happier before I started drinking excessively. I am hopeful that my body is slowly sorting out my natural chemical balances. Don't get me wrong, I still have mood swings and ups and downs but my underlying state of mind is far more positive without alcohol in my system, and I think I am starting to get used to that
Have a great day all. I will not be attending the depression depot.
OMD
Old 07-01-2015, 07:23 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm doing good. Although a tad grumpy because I've started a diet. I've got a lot of beer weight to lose. Slow and steady but sticking with it is the key for me. Also, have a 4 day workweek. so that's nice. We have a potluck tomorrow at work so I will have to navigate myself through it and not pig out. Moderation is the key, except for alcohol which is a big no no. No bad cravings on alcohol lately so that's very cool. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Happy Canada Day! It's a national holiday today. I have found that I made no plans for the day. I am actually looking forward to just spending a regular day around here with my son. I will probably give the stinky dog a bath today, now that I will have some help, he's a big strong dog who hates baths.

I got through an emotional roller coaster of a day yesterday and feel much stronger today. Thankful for SR and my husband. I could not find time yesterday for quiet meditation, so today will be the day. I find it really helps with staying the present moment. I agree about thinking forward causing anxiety, but sometimes in recovery we have to think forward to plan, as long as it stays reasonable. No need to panic about some unforeseen event that may not even happen.

As for the depression, yes, it is a symptom is alcohol abuse. I find that I am not in the deep dark place anymore, and I am learning to cope with lifes ups and downs with a clear head. Some days I wish I could just curl up in a ball and ignore the situation, but it just doesn't work for me anymore. I find I am bouncing back, with more pep in my step. I slept in in purpose this morning, and I feel great. I don't have that chronic feeling fatigue that plagued me in early recovery. That is in the past, and I really don't want to go back there, so no drinking for me today!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angie247 View Post
Hi all. I'm doing good. Although a tad grumpy because I've started a diet. I've got a lot of beer weight to lose. Slow and steady but sticking with it is the key for me. Also, have a 4 day workweek. so that's nice. We have a potluck tomorrow at work so I will have to navigate myself through it and not pig out. Moderation is the key, except for alcohol which is a big no no. No bad cravings on alcohol lately so that's very cool. Hope everyone is doing well!
Angie, I think it's great that you are starting on a new diet. I have lost 10 pounds with just not drinking! Wine is loaded with calories! So now, I with my fatigue under control, I have started strength training. I just use hand held weights and have a simple routine...baby steps! I have also stepped up my protein intake to help build some muscle.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy Canada day Cauliflower
Old 07-01-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Hi everybody
I have beer weight too Angie lol. over the last week I've noticed I haven't been craving sugar as much. I'm taking that as a good thing.

What is Canada day? Are there any special events or foods? Happy Canada day

Last night and this morning have been bleh. I'm starting to feel uneasy about the lack of communication I'm getting from my husband. I know it's normal but it's extremely frustrating. I had a bad dream about it last night which made me wake up feeling fantastic

Up and atom. I'm gonna go for a jog and that should help level out my negativity. Hope everyone has a decent day. No class for me tomorrow so that's a plus...
Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. Glad to hear you are all well. Things are going well here. It's been a busy week but we have Friday off so it's worth it haven't had cravings the last few days. I think I'm starting to get comfortable with my new self - not obsessing over alcohol, not waking up hungover, and overall being in a better mood. Yes, there are still ups and downs, and they almost seem steeper without the alcohol. But I'm much more content and comfortable than where I was when I was drinking.
Hope you all have a great day!
Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

You know, I'm thinking about what I just wrote, and the highs are definitely higher than when I was drinking, but the lows are not as low. It's more that I sometimes feel kind of depressed and lazy and don't want to do anything. But nothing like the feelings of wishing the day away bc I felt so hungover and depressed. So I guess my equilibrium is resetting itself.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

I too am noticing a general upward trend, Swim! Long may it prosper!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:29 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Good morning all, catch up laggers
Old 07-01-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Morning!
Old 07-02-2015, 12:03 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Good morning! It is 12:01am here. I should go to sleep soon as I have work in the morning but then I have Friday off. So, goodnight for now. Hope everyone is doing great!!
Old 07-02-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  

A little nervous. Heading back to London tomorrow for 5 days. My family are full-on and they can drink. I didn't want to go and told my mother that I wouldn't be coming this summer. She assumed it was a money issue and bought tickets for me and the kids.

Last time I went to London I made it through the trip but relapsed "for no reason" the following week and it took me 8 months of despair and dread to make it back to day 1....
Old 07-02-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not that guy anymore amp - and things are different now.

We're all behind you and with you anytime you reach out.

why not start thinking about how you might handle some likely problematic scenarios?

D
Old 07-02-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Yeah, thinking about getting out for walks and making sure I mentally prepare myself every morning. Play the tape forward...

Also I'll be honest about my problem with alcohol. I'm learning to live with it so if (when) asked I'll explain where I'm at and ask people not to make an issue of it.

My relationships there are forged around long sittings at pub tables but the comraderie that pays testimony to those days will have to come from somewhere else or not at all. I will not be entering a pub or going out to see any bands.

Hope I can come through OK. I'll be staying close on SR for sure!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Do your best

There are mtns in London Amp if it gets to much