Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 5)

Old 06-28-2015, 01:49 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Cissy that's so strange! I don't know why it would be doing that. Could be gunk under the keys, or it could be that the strip that connects your keyboard is slightly loose, so it's hit or miss with typing. If you're feeling brave you can pull off your cover and make sure the connection from the keyboard is tight!

Casey, glad to hear your work is going well. Sounds like you deserve a day off! Good job on cleaning the booze. I don't think I've ever wiped down a bottle in my life... no time for that, just for drinking it! Haha. I've been around a lot of booze lately and it hasn't bothered me at all. I thought it would be more of an issue, and some day it might, but right now I don't even seem to notice it.

Still in Norway, but today we're on a bay that connects to the sea. It's gorgeous! About 75 and sunny, which is a nice change. I have a day off tomorrow and I'm looking forward to getting to the hotel and doing nothing. Maybe some reading, maybe some tv.. who knows. It's supposed to be cold and raining again, so I won't feel bad about staying in.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  
nmd

Made it to a day 2, so I'm back to posting. Endless day 1s aren't fun, not in the least. Thanks Casey for checking in on me. Poured my last beer out. Now I just need to work on that plan pdf dee posted (already downloaded and saved) and finish plan z (sell my brewing equipment).
Old 06-28-2015, 04:39 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
nmd

Good to see you trying again too Cissy
Old 06-28-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Glad you're back nmd! We've missed you around here.

Definitely spend some time on that plan. You never have to have another day 1 again.

Went for a walk- this island is awesome! I found some swans, which scare me, but I took a picture anyways, just for you guys

I put more a few others in the weekend thread, so I won't double post them here unless anyone is really curious about small Norweigan islands haha

I'm so glad I have to opportunity to get out for a few hours, even on a work day, to enjoy this weather and this place. I used to spend all my time traveling worrying about my next drink and where I would get booze for my days off. This is the first time I'm really able to enjoy it and take it all in.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday to all!

Long day at work ahead of me today. I work retail, so no weekends off here! I'm also stuck working the 4th. Oh well, more money!

Casey - so glad you check in on everybody, I'm off tomorrow too. Looking forward to it as well.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:58 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting day 52. About to head to my folk's house to install a word processing program on their new computer. Then lunch. Then a nap. Then work. Boring but useful day.

nmd -- so so glad to see you! Glad you've made it day 2. Stay close! You've done this before and can do it again. We're here to support you in whatever way we can. Did the home brewing equipment have something to do with your drinking again this time? Glad you're getting rid of it either way.

site -- that island looks beautiful! I'll have to go check out your other photos. I would also be scared of being too close to swans. I don't trust any bird that can reach above my waist without flying. Too big and birds are D U M B and unpredictable. Just like many of my old drinking buddies.

sagittarius -- always wonderful to see you too! I'm also working the 4th. I don't care about the holiday for myself but am not looking forward to dealing with other folks on a holiday weekend.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Evening everyone! Just a quick check-in before bed - less than 48 hours to go before the 2 month mark.

Had an awesome weekend, if a tiny bit of struggle with AV - but determined to make it to the 90 day mark, after which we'll see what happens.

Feeling decidedly less tired than before - also went 48 hours without any coffee, after which I'm very well rested indeed. Plus have had enough to eat over the weekend, so not tired. Regarding caffeine, going to keep it to just one cup in the morning to get me functional.

Feeling awesome because 1) birthday weekend was great, had a really good time on friday night - then the next day went motorbiking in the hills & country surrounding Chiang Rai with Jesmar, my Filipino buddy. 2) THAT decision by the US Supreme Court got handed down, bringing Pride Month to a beautiful end. Also 3) got a glowing appraisal from the boss, and a confirmation that after the long holiday in October, I've definitely still got a job where I am!

Got back to Thoeng a few hours ago, after which went for a walk to a temple on a hill, to do an hour and a half of walking & sitting meditation.

Well, thats me - glad to see people are doing well Big Love xx
Old 06-28-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Great to hear from you, AGAG. Glad you had a sober and happy birthday weekend!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone....haven't had time to post lately but wanted to check in on Day 48. All is well here...still busy busy. Have a great Sunday all
Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Sadly it's back to 50 and raining : /

It sure was nice while it lasted though!
Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Site, I wish it was 50 and raining here. It's 80 already and HUMID....ugh.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Humid? What on earth is going on back there?

I actually like humidity. It doesn't really feel like to summer to me without it. Although it is nice to live in LA and pick when I want to be in it.. I can always just go visit the east coast!
Old 06-28-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  

We built a bonfire! Feeling much happier and warmer now.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Humidity sucks. The east coast (where I am) is full of it. I can handle it as long as the temperature doesn't go above the low 70's, but it's still not pleasant. Summer's are really tough for me. I generally hide or seek shade.

Great to see you, nmd!! We're going to get past these early days together. I was thinking to myself (or rather, my AV was thinking for me) that I might finish out June and then hit it in July. It was telling me how great it would be to have Independence Day be my sobriety date. Slick, huh? Then I over-ruled and saw that a couple more days of doing something harmful and not even that pleasant doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I can just think of my sobriety date as being the week of Independence Day. So I'll actually be clear-headed on July 4th. Better way to mark the occasion.

Casey, too funny about wiping down all the liquor at the restaurant. That was a great test I'm sure. Must have given you time to reflect. I know you did it in like 5 or 6 minutes but that's a long time to be fondling bottles of booze. I hope you have a lovely Chinese meal with your step-mom. Enjoy your day off tomorrow.

Site, thanks for the pic! Lovely place. I'll try to remember to find the weekend thread to view the others. I have gotten out of the habit of going to see new threads being posted but hopefully now that I'm coming back to my sober self, I'll do that every day. Be of help and encouragement to others who are struggling.

Agag, Happy belated Birthday!! I was just wondering why you hadn't posted one of your long, detailed posts in a while, and then there it was! Thanks for scratching that itch. Sorry you had a bit of a AV challenge. What are your thoughts for how to proceed after the 90 day mark? Thinking of dabbling in it again? I hope that works for you if that's how you want to continue.

I was hoping (against all hope) that I could do that and moderate if I really put my mind to it but the problem is I lose focus and as the days roll by, I stop caring so much and stop thinking about staying within a certain number of drinks and then before I know it, I'm back to the old me. If it didn't work the last 100 times I tried it, it sure as hell isn't going to work now.

My mother actually turned it around later in life. She had a time in her middle adult years where she really drank alot. Got black-out drunk, would argue alot with my step-dad (not official) and there would be a lot of door slamming, etc. One time I found her completely naked, passed out on her bed, just barely. Like if she had landed a few seconds sooner, she'd have been 50% on the floor.

I remember how I used to see her taking a glass to bed with her and how awful I thought that was. I became that same way. Not only one glass, but I'd go back for more and more until I eventually fell asleep. Anyway, now she's 83 and has one beer or glass of wine with dinner when we are out at a restaurant and then she'll have a few in the evening when she's watching tv. I never see her intoxicated. Somehow she manages it and doesn't abuse it anymore. (She had actually gone to inpatient rehab once and was sober for a long while, then had "one glass" of wine while on a cruise and then was never sober again.)

I'm not counting on the idea that I can do it too. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior, sadly. Change can take place but only if it's radical. That's my feeling, anyway. I'm an all or nothing person so that's what I have to accept and work with. The cards I was dealt.

Nothing to drink since Friday but not counting days this time. I don't like doing that and in the past I never bothered. I think that was also part of why I succeeded for much longer stretches of time before struggling. Today is the only day that I need to be concerned with.

Thanks for mentioning that "z" thing again!! I'd forgotten about it. And I did read those things that Dee posted about his plan (Still think of Dee as a woman sometimes. Why do you go by Dee?) I need to sit and create my own but when I look at Dee's and try to think of what mine might look like, I am reminded of all the times I've made a plan to lose weight or start exercising or yada, yada, yada. Invariably I stop striving for the goals so it's hard for me to look at my plan as anything more than one or two things. It has to be attainable. Or rather "maintainable."

SR every day and multiple times a day is key. I love it here and I love all of you. I'm so thankful to have found this board in January. "Seek and ye shall find." A simple google search and there it was.

I remember in February when I stopped for the first time this year, I envisioned myself walking out of a pointless abusive relationship. I could get a good handle on that cause I've done it before and never looked back. I don't remember why I stopped and started drinking again around April 8th. I think maybe I thought I could moderate.

I guess I'm going to go back to our first Mayflower thread and read what I was writing. I need to get inside where my head was back then. (I hadn't joined a class back in February and I wasn't participating hardly at all on SR. I thought I just "had it" so long as I learned to recognize the AV.)

Maybe we should all restate what our "z" is. I don't even remember what mine was. I'm going to go find out and see if it's still a good z for me.

Have a blessed and safe Sunday/Monday. It's still rainy and cool here. Barely 60 degrees! I only have select windows open so it won't get too cold in the house. Those of you who are sweltering are going to be jealous. ((((((Hugs!!))))))
Old 06-28-2015, 12:56 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Sorry for the book.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Cissy, the problem with moderation for me is that I know I would never enjoy it. I would spend the rest of my life counting drinks and trying to keep it to a normal amount, but that wouldn't be any fun.

And thanks for re-mentioning the "z" again. I saw it earlier but never thought to look back and see what mine was. I'm feeling just fine in sobriety and not even wanting to drink, but I think I'll do that tomorrow anyhow...

Don't be sorry! I like the book!
Old 06-28-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
I was thinking to myself (or rather, my AV was thinking for me) that I might finish out June and then hit it in July. It was telling me how great it would be to have Independence Day be my sobriety date. Slick, huh? Then I over-ruled and saw that a couple more days of doing something harmful and not even that pleasant doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
I did this one dozens if not hundreds of times. "I'll start not drinking again on Sunday since it's the start of a new week." "January 1 would be a great sobriety date." "It's my birthday, I should make that my sobriety date. That'd be fitting." Over and over and over and over again. I love that my date this time is random--Friday, May 8, 2015. Heck, I didn't even wake up that morning thinking I'd make this date last. It just kinda happened.

My Z this time was most definitely becoming very active here on SR. Asking for help and helping others. It's worked so far. Though I've been a little active over the last few days as I really got into the swing of things at the new job. I need to watch that--don't need to lose sight of what's worked for me so far. It's ok for my life to evolve, I just need to be aware of that evolution as it's happening and ensure it isn't being fueled by my addiction.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

I love you guys.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

It took me ages to find the first May thread. Somehow I was still subscribed to all the May threads that followed but not that one. Finally found it and finally found where I had jumped onboard. Here's the first post I wrote:

"Jumping in on this 6th day of May. Last drink was last night, or early this morning, I guess I could say. I stayed up til around 3 am to make sure all the beer was gone before I went to sleep. I consider that to be "yesterday."

I quit the first day of February and did great up until the 9th of April or so. Then it's been on again, off again. Should have never gone and taken that little dip back into the swamp. Alligator bit me and wouldn't let me go. LOL! Oh well. Live and learn, as always.

I'll read the posts from page 1 up to page 11 so I can get caught up. Long live the class of May 2015! "

Alligator bit me! That is a very good description. Maybe I should think of my AV as some reptilian creature.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  

I'm embarrassed to say that the alligator bit me yesterday. I drank 3 glasses of red wine. I was just starting to really enjoy the peace and calmness of being sober. I felt happy and when offered a wine, I felt like it was ok to have it. I'm disappointed but I'm ok. I'm here to start again. I hope my slip hasn't caused my brain too much harm as it was just starting to heal.