Notices

Class of June 2015 Part 2

Old 06-15-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Just made a huge 1st step. Took all the remaining beers, and threw them in the garbage. Rubbish for rubbish. It wasn't easy to do. AV didn't like it at all. Too freakin bad for AV! I'm determined to win this battle!
Old 06-15-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Hello Junebugs hope you are all doing great

I am home I have WiFi and phone signal yay. It's been a difficult few days that's for sure it was definitely to early to enjoy without drinking but I managed somehow. It really can be a good get away from modern living place aided by my network not covering the area.

No cars aloud and we had neighbours of squirrels and wild rabbits with young bunnies lovely to wake up to and sharing breakfast with. Nights were the difficult part really not used to not having entertainment on demand quite sad really.

Anyway home and unpacked now going to catch up with the June class
Old 06-15-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcfearless View Post
Church is not for me and for the same reason AA (as the focus here is far too much on a literal higher power). However you did get me thinking about volunteering at an animal shelter. Well I suppose that would take care of one day a week so it's a start. Will probably meet some like minded dog loving souls too. Thanks for the suggestion.
Meetup.com is a place to meet new social circles with a common interest. It's not strictly for people in recovrry, but it's an easy way to meet new people. A change of social circles is sometimes helpful.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noolan View Post
Day 12.

I'm checking in before I embark on an 8 hour drive.[/URL]
OK now I feel like a light weight lol my drive was an hour and a half
Old 06-15-2015, 09:51 AM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Thanks Noolan! I'm a member of some meetup groups. Love it. Great place to meet new people with commen interests.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Hundreds and hundreds of other active members here can testify to the contrary.

It's all alcohol. It's all equally bad for you mentally and physically. I warn all of you to not fall for this line of thinking from your addiction--that one type of drinking is "better" or "safer" than another. It's a trap.

This line of thinking is the equivalent of a heroin addict saying, "Well at least I only snort it and don't shoot it." We all know there's a silent "yet" hanging at the end of reasoning like this.
See, intravenous heroin vs snorting creates two very different highs and expirences. Much like pounding shots vs equal number of beers or wine. Yes, alcohol content is the same, but the ability to consume liquor vs beer vs wine and how it is absorbed makes liquor the more potent intoxicant.

That said, any addictive substance abused over the long haul will lead to addiction regardless of how the user does it or its physical make up.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 307 (permalink)  

Great work Fradley. I know this will get easier, but I'm experiencing a similar feeling, after a sort of grace period, that it's time to reintroduce activities to my life. But to make room for the important activities, there are some bad habits aside from drinking that I need to clear out of the way. Out with the bad, in with the good. I'm not quite ready to release the death-grip on drinking, but cigarette smoking is the next bad hombre that I'm sizing up.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scram View Post

I want to sober. Not because it sounds cool, not because it would be an adventure, not because it would be great for my body, not because I would save so much money. I want it because I can't live the way I'm living anymore.

Thanks. Sorry for the ramble.
Not a ramble and it's how I feel too thank you Scram
Old 06-15-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 309 (permalink)  

See, intravenous heroin vs snorting creates two very different highs and expirences. Much like pounding shots vs equal number of beers or wine. Yes, alcohol content is the same, but the ability to consume liquor vs beer vs wine and how it is absorbed makes liquor the more potent intoxicant.

That said, any addictive substance abused over the long haul will lead to addiction regardless of how the user does it or its physical make up.
I've always been a beer drinker. Not that I haven't bought and abused myself on the occasional bottle of whiskey, rum, or vodka, wine or malt liquor, but they never had the same appeal to me as beer.

I'll say this - that with a bottle of vodka in the freezer there would be a greater chance of completely losing track of drink numbers, or shot counts, blacking out, and waking up with a pickled feeling.

It's all alcohol, that casts the evil spell, but I do hold a special sympathy towards those who become accustomed to drinking the poison straight up. I wouldn't to make light of anybody's alcoholism, though, because the freakish consequences I'd subject myself to while drunk on beer could be just as bad as if I were on liquor. The last time I drove drunk seeing double was an all beer phenomenon. Thank God I didn't kill someone or wreck my life with a DWI.

Enough of any alcohol, I say, not that I'm special in that way. It looks like everybody is saying that sort of thing around here. All for one, and one for all.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 310 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
Just made a huge 1st step. Took all the remaining beers, and threw them in the garbage. Rubbish for rubbish. It wasn't easy to do. AV didn't like it at all. Too freakin bad for AV! I'm determined to win this battle!
Best place for them I opened mine and chucked it out
Old 06-15-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 311 (permalink)  

Awesome news tiredofme!
Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YuriO View Post
I've always been a beer drinker. Not that I haven't bought and abused myself on the occasional bottle of whiskey, rum, or vodka, wine or malt liquor, but they never had the same appeal to me as beer.

I'll say this - that with a bottle of vodka in the freezer there would be a greater chance of completely losing track of drink numbers, or shot counts, blacking out, and waking up with a pickled feeling.

It's all alcohol, that casts the evil spell, but I do hold a special sympathy towards those who become accustomed to drinking the poison straight up. I wouldn't to make light of anybody's alcoholism, though, because the freakish consequences I'd subject myself to while drunk on beer could be just as bad as if I were on liquor. The last time I drove drunk seeing double was an all beer phenomenon. Thank God I didn't kill someone or wreck my life with a DWI.

Enough of any alcohol, I say, not that I'm special in that way. It looks like everybody is saying that sort of thing around here. All for one, and one for all.
There's another element to alcohol. The elephant in the room is that there are degrees of it. I think we all know and agree to not drink at all is the goal. Almost certainly we all started drinking occasionally and slid down a slippery slope and that alone is reason for any functional daily drinker or binger to stop entirely.

I drank nightly for the last year and remained very functional. A bottle of wine plus a beer or two, No hangovers or physical illness when it stayed at that. But with that said every single shameful and awful thing i have done in my life is directly related to alcohol. And they happened when I was drinking spirits....and drinking spirits was triggered by drinking the softer stuff. Also I was just slower and grumpier, depressed and anti social except when drinking. And even though my drinking allowed me to function it didn't allow me to be interested in doing anything where alcohol wasn't involved. So even though I could have justified continuing this level of alcoholism to myself the last 10 plus days sober have absolutely been wonderful, productive and life changing for me.

So far from trying to justify "normalised" drinking (defined in the sense that i wasn't drawing attention to myself) being sober is truly just a superior experience. Don't focus on what you will "lose" if you stop drinking, focus on all you will gain.

Those on the white spirits etc nightly....you can't be functioning.....it's sensible for you to be extra vigilant.

All drinking (where you aren't in control) should be taken very seriously. Certainly if you're at the beer stage of addiction you've got a "milder" dose of the disease. Take it by the horns now....because believe it or not .....it can get much, much worse.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcfearless View Post

All drinking (where you aren't in control) should be taken very seriously. Certainly if you're at the beer stage of addiction you've got a "milder" dose of the disease. Take it by the horns now....because believe it or not .....it can get much, much worse.
I'm at that stage and I don't want to get any worse. I'm only 28 and have my whole life in front of me. I've had enough horrible experience with this so far.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Re-Member

There is no "certainly" truth to your theory that drinking too much beer is "milder" than drinking too much "vodka." A 12-pack of silver can beer is just as capable of ruining lives as 18-year old single malt scotch.

Trying to assign different levels of addiction based on choice of drink is your addiction trying to talk you into leaving a tiny door open to possible future drinking, in my opinion.

You are very right that addiction to alcohol is a progressive addiction and generally gets worse with time. But it has nothing to do with your choice of poison. Thinking thoughts like "Well, I'm only a beer drinker" or "At least I don't drink tequila" or "It could be worse, I could be doing *insert whatever here*" is just an excuse to justify your own choice of poison.

And that's enough from me on this subject. I wish each and every one of you a happy and sober day today.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Counting down the hours till I'm 100% sober! Keep telling myself each minute is bringing me closer. I've wasted a perfectly good day, and I regret drinking yesterday.

I know all alcohol is off limits for me. I became addicted from just drinking beer, and not everyday. Its all legal poison, and bad for me. We are all here for one common purpose, to quit, and support one another during this process.

Happy to be here, thanks friends!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

I agree that there's different levels of severity to alcoholism. I agree that it's beneficial to diagnose and cure it earlier before severe withdrawal symptoms become an issue. I'd be guarded against created an expectation, though, even if it's realistic, that for early onset, or "mild" alcoholics quitting is easy, and for long term, or "severe" alcoholics quitting is very hard. Thinking of myself as a mild alcoholic lowers my defenses against the drink and can lead to my, "I can have one casually" thinking that always spirals out of control. On the other hand, thinking of myself as a severe alcoholic can leave me nearly hopeless and almost striving for new bottoms. Regardless of severity, not discounting that others might be more or less severely handicapped, always expecting improvement through sobriety seems beneficial to me, and reminding myself, I am grateful that it didn't get any worse, even that I'm still alive.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

Meetup.com is a place to meet new social circles with a common interest. It's not strictly for people in recovrry, but it's an easy way to meet new people. A change of social circles is sometimes helpful.
Really important to surround yourself with the right people (he says after more than 20 years of not!!)

I've ditched heaps of old 'friends', feel good about it and even took myself off facebook. Family and real friends know how to get hold of me and if they have to go to the 'effort' of sending an email, then that says something.

Starting to use Meetup (obvs not for the social stuff!)

Start of day 4, not hungover.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 318 (permalink)  

Welcome back to those returning, max, julie, and someone else I think. Hard to scroll back on the phone. :-)

AV hit me on the way home from work this morning. I was going to be all alone(AV code for "go time!"), no kids, no husband, didn't have to go anywhere for 12 hours. Had I stopped for beer I would be waking up with a hangover now and most likely 3 to 4 hours of sleep instead of 8. I'd be pissed at myself and be in for a very long long shift at work. I'd of tried to hide the empties from my husband before he got home. Most likely forgetting where I'd stashed them.

I'm clear headed sipping on coffee instead and the Mr is home right now early, definitely would have been caught, even though if I had managed to get rid of the evidence he'd surely smell it on me.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bblackbirdflyy View Post
Welcome back to those returning, max, julie, and someone else I think. Hard to scroll back on the phone. :-)

AV hit me on the way home from work this morning. I was going to be all alone(AV code for "go time!"), no kids, no husband, didn't have to go anywhere for 12 hours. Had I stopped for beer I would be waking up with a hangover now and most likely 3 to 4 hours of sleep instead of 8. I'd be pissed at myself and be in for a very long long shift at work. I'd of tried to hide the empties from my husband before he got home. Most likely forgetting where I'd stashed them.

I'm clear headed sipping on coffee instead and the Mr is home right now early, definitely would have been caught, even though if I had managed to get rid of the evidence he'd surely smell it on me.
So happy to hear you manage to get through the AV! being alone sure is a trigger for me too and then trying to hide it later :s
Old 06-15-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 320 (permalink)  

Hi June Classmates -

Tonight I will be going to an AA meeting in my area. I have been to a number of them in the past, so the meeting itself won't be an entirely new experience.

I have never, ever felt comfortable at these meetings. And I swear, I've just had really bad luck at them. By that I mean I've seen more than a few interrupted by a deranged drunk person attempting to start a fight... (Oh San Francisco, we get the best characters...)

But I don't know what else to do. All I know is I can't do this alone. Any and every attempt I've made to quit drinking on my own has failed. You guys are a great source of accountability but I'm going to need more. I really am more desperate than I've ever been. Talk to you later -