SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of May 2015 (Part 3) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/367959-class-may-2015-part-3-a.html)

CaseyW 05-24-2015 01:00 PM

Sounds like a nice day 1 and a good plan for day 2, Jimuk. Thanks for checking in!

Carrie1974 05-24-2015 01:04 PM

Hey all, I'm on Day 4 so I hope you don't mind if I join you?

(Thanks Casey :biggrin:)

CaseyW 05-24-2015 01:10 PM

Just had a good friend who lives in Austin (250 miles from me) text me saying I should be in town today that her and her sister are going to a bar we used to go to a lot on lazy Sunday afternoons. I told her thanks for the invite but hey while we're on the subject I am not drinking anymore. We had a nice talk after that about my drinking issues.

She's a good friend, definitely more than a drinking buddy, so it was nice to have this talk. She was very understanding as she grew up in an alcoholic household.

I usually sleep in her guest bed when I go to Austin, and she made it very clear that if and when I came down to visit again that she'd be more than happy to not drink as well and reminded me of the dozens and dozens of non-drinking activities we've partaken in before and can again.

I mean, I'm still not going to head down there anytime soon as I think it's best to get my feet firmly planted in sobriety around the home front for a bit*, but it was a nice and reassuring conversation.

*I am going on a trip to the Texas coast starting this Saturday for eight or nine days, but I'm going with my dad and stepmom (basically my mom) and nine-year old nephew. My dad has been sober for 32 years now and he met my stepmom at an AA meeting room actually. (She's not an alcoholic but grew up in an alcoholic household and was leading the Alateen meetings there at the time. She used to have a glass of wine once every couple of months but I don't think she's even done that in years.) So I will not be around alcohol on this trip at all. Doesn't mean I won't have to be vigilant. Lots of stores selling booze down there, lots of opportunities to go off by myself if I wanted. But I'm not going to. I'll still have you guys for support via my phone, of course.

CaseyW 05-24-2015 01:12 PM

Welcome to the Class of May 2015, Carrie1974! I'm a 1974 baby myself. In fact, assuming I stick with staying sober this time (which I will), I will have exactly 100 days sober on my birthday this year.

There's a lot of great support and wisdom in here. Hope you check in often and look forward to getting to know you better!

Carrie1974 05-24-2015 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by CaseyW (Post 5387677)
Welcome to the Class of May 2015, Carrie1974! I'm a 1974 baby myself. In fact, assuming I stick with staying sober this time (which I will), I will have exactly 100 days sober on my birthday this year.

There's a lot of great support and wisdom in here. Hope you check in often and look forward to getting to know you better!

Life does begin at 40 for us then!

Jimuk 05-24-2015 01:46 PM

Welcome Carrie, congrats on 4 days.

I'm a 73 baby haha, must have been a bumper couple of years for future problem drinkers. X

Soberwolf 05-24-2015 02:14 PM

Great work friends

Carrie1974 05-24-2015 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jimuk (Post 5387736)
Welcome Carrie, congrats on 4 days.

I'm a 73 baby haha, must have been a bumper couple of years for future problem drinkers. X

Thanks Jim

It was the fashion - scarred us for life :biggrin:

TENtx 05-24-2015 03:32 PM

Checking in, day #3.

Just finished my Sunday walk. Did 6 miles this afternoon instead of my usual 8 in the morning.

I'm a kind of 1974 baby, too. That's the year I turned 18 and started drinking.

Here's to all the sober Sundays out there, and a wish for sober Mondays all around.

KaleGrrl 05-24-2015 03:49 PM

Checking in. Welcome to the newest newbies!
Am going through the latest family crisis (story of my life), but so far all is OK. I have to hire a lawyer in this case, but I'm doing OK, thank God. I always feel that God is with me in difficult circumstances.
I'm so happy because I'm also getting involved in my daughter's baby shower, and having friends who are so supportive in this. It's amazingly fun. I work in the schools and for the first time in 5 years, I'm not doing summer school. My plan for this summer is to improve my health. I'm blessed in that my knee problem is resolving nicely and think I'll be able to do most everything exercise-wise with just a little bit more time.
To all newbies, everything does get better with time. Don't give up!! Be proactive in your recovery, doing everything in your power to stop drinking. It does get better. Find things to do that are outside of yourself. Charitable things. just get outside of yourself. I like to think of it as feeding my soul with good things and letting the bad things dissipate over time.
Wishing everyone a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!!

CaseyW 05-24-2015 03:54 PM

So glad you checked in, KaleGrrl! I thought about you when I was eating my kale salad at lunch. Sorry to hear that you are still having family issues but you seem to have the right attitude about it. Check in as often as possible. We need you here!

TENtx--we'll let you be an honorary member of the 1974 club. Good job on day 3. Keep going strong!

KaleGrrl 05-24-2015 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=CaseyW;5387937]So glad you checked in, KaleGrrl! I thought about you when I was eating my kale salad at lunch. Sorry to hear that you are still having family issues but you seem to have the right attitude about it. Check in as often as possible. We need you here!

Thank you, Casey, I have to say the same about you!! :tyou

AllieKat 05-24-2015 04:31 PM

Does anybody know what to do with a baby duck that can't find its mom? We have one here and don't know what to do...

CaseyW 05-24-2015 04:39 PM

AllieK, I don't have a clue. You might ask in the sober weekend thread. Bigger and more varied crowd in there.

realE 05-24-2015 04:40 PM

Hi all -
Lots of good stuff here as always. I really enjoy the updates and sharing. I think Allie said she can't keep track unless she rights everything down? Maybe that was Cissy? IDK and am not compulsing that I can't keep it all straight either. I am taking it in! I have this very odd sensation going on - I think I feel relaxed????????? I would say I missed it, but I'm not even sure I remember it?

So me and my dtr did our kayak trip today, out for 4.5 hours and about 5.5 miles in the most perfect weather. I ate all day - but only healthy stuff - oven roasted turkey, boiled eggs, nuts, fruit and plenty of water(. I am gluten and dairy free for over a year. How does a beer drinker go gluten free - I switched to the expensive gluten free stuff. Yes over a year ago and found a way to beat the system by switching my beer of choice and staying just as hooked. I have lost 5 pounds this week, just grazing and not drinking! (vodka and wine are gluten free too - so they remained on the diet plan as well).

So tomorrow will be day 7. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, because today is in the bag:) And tomorrow will be the first time since 2009 that I have gone 7 consecutive days without drinking. I had quit for 7 days prior to a family trip to Disney, because I thought alcohol might be limited and I really did want to have quality time with my family. (Amazing how Epcot at Disney has alcohol from all over the world and people running around with little cards signing off that they had partaken at every stop. And of course I managed to sneak out at night to the hotel bar too.) Anyways - it just helps me to put some of the lies I have told myself out there. Then they are no longer my sick secrets......

I have not read the link to "planning". But, so far I am feeling ok about the day and ok about tomorrow, because I plan my day - which includes permission to do NOTHING. And I anticipate tomorrow's triggers - people I have to interact with and absolute deadlines. The day after tomorrow is the thing that seems scary, but it just clicked in my brain that day works itself out because it becomes today!

I've got a book and the sound of my dog snoring to lull me this evening. I imagine I will be back hear reading if the book doesn't entertain me.

Thank you all for listening.

Dee74 05-24-2015 04:40 PM

do you have a local animal shelter Allie?

D

Dharma33 05-24-2015 04:41 PM

Happy Sober Sunday!!!

AllieKat 05-24-2015 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5388015)
do you have a local animal shelter Allie?

D

We do but what will they do with it? I don't want them to kill it.

realE 05-24-2015 04:45 PM

Alie - we live on a lake and a couple of different times there have been lost babies. We have a duck/bird rescue group within about an hour of our house and have called them before. Google for a rescue near your area. Probably hard to get someone on a holiday weekend.

Sometimes mother ducks leave the weakest one's for a reason. That is very sad, but a reality I am afraid. My best advice is not to let your dtr get attached:(

KaleGrrl 05-24-2015 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by AllieKat (Post 5387996)
Does anybody know what to do with a baby duck that can't find its mom? We have one here and don't know what to do...

I found this URL. Hopefully it'll help.
Help! I found a baby duck!