Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 3)

Old 05-28-2015, 09:42 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Which part of the States I assume is the date from?
Old 05-28-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Just keep doing what your're doing. I'm finding reading as much as I can is helping me to really see how pointless this drinking thing is. I also have to drive tonight so that will keep me out of trouble.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Good night all!
I've had a very good day and evening. Up late with my son watching netflix and knitting. I'm looking forward to a nice hangover free morning.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:50 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
Which part of the States I assume is the date from?
The default timezone is US wast coast
you can set your own timezone Sandy

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post3745756

D
Old 05-28-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Bleh.
Woke up middle if the night here.
Than you all for giving me an anti-AV presence, to draw strength from. By yours posts of triumphs, failures, and all thoughts and feelings in between, you've helped me fight a terrible, life destroying addiction.
I appreciate each of your being here.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Still going strong, just finished the merit-making ceremony at my school (a load of monks came, recieved food-alms from teachers and students, then gave a blessing).

Got a couple of classes this afternoon, then off to Chiang Rai to see friends.

One thing, however, is preying on my mind - going to keep this short and sweet: basically, a while ago I had an unprotected encounter (so to speak) in Chiang Mai, with someone I picked up at a nightclub. Stupid, I know. And tomorrow, I'm going to get tested for HIV at a hospital in CR.

The odds are massively in my favor, as even if my partner was infected (while HIV is an issue in Northern Thailand, the probability is still overwhelmingly that she was not), I've read that the odds of transmission from a single encounter with an infected person are under 2%.

But needless to say, still worrying about this pretty massively, as if it does come back positive, then my life is going to drastically change, if not be well and truly over.

But that's a different problem for another time - right now just going to keep buggering on, and hopefully by Monday should be in a very good place, having started a second sober month - and hopefully being in the clear (I've read that an antibody test can get a result one way or the other in less than 2 hours).

Hopefully, the latter two things going together, should be a completely new chapter in life. But it really is a make or break thing.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
nmd

Good idea getting checked agag, hopefully it's just a precaution

Yesterday was punctuated by stress and exhaustion and my AV made a sneak appearance. I got through it, and slept well last night (even though I'm up at 5am, I sleep through the night sober) Planning my step sons graduation party, the house fire, and unfinished home remodeling are all weighing on me. (I'm divorced and I'm not remarried, but my gf and I I are all but, so I say step son) Just doing a little but each day and trying to not get too stressed. Work isn't much better, but I've learned to ignore other peoples unrealistic expectations there better than at home.

Heading outside to weed a front garden bed, then work. Being alone in the garden for me is one of the most relaxing parts of the day. Have a great sober day everyone!
Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Day 22: Another Friday

I feel better today about sobriety, but things still seem dull, although they are not. Even though the body has adjusted, the psyche is a long way from normal. Hoping as the days pass, experiences once again become more interesting and vivid.

How many westerners will fall into the happy hour routine today? How many are unrealizingly getting their "binge cue" on for the next 2 days? Of those, how many are aware of it?

Food for thought.

Good luck to all.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Another 24 here.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Well my plan for Day 1 has not quite worked as planned. Couldn't get the apple cider I wanted, so i am now enjoying homegrown mint tea. Who would have thought? It's really good. The friend that was coming over couldn't make it, so I was just left with waiting for the hubby to call to go and pick him up. Just got the call that he's going to meet up with friends. Mmmm. Now alone in the house. So decided to post just so i can "talk" to someone. I need to focus on more plans that don't involve other people. I'm actually not struggling but I thought if i write something i can let it out. Still have a few more hours to say day 1 but I've been alcohol free for more than 24 hours. I'll celebrate that. Will spend the rest of the night reading up on posts and articles to prepare me for tomorrow. Hope you all have a nice day/night.
Old 05-29-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Hey Folks,

Not sure why I didn't join this thread sooner. My last drink was May 17th so today is #12. I've wanted to quit for the last 3-4 years but my half hearted attempts never worked. Neither did moderation (what a miserable word. lol)

My recent blood work made me quit on the spot so it was sudden. I have the classic hallmarks of alcohol taking a real toll on my health and I'm 46. I'm not going out like that.

Anyways, I've been doing well. My witching hour is 6-8pm and I struggled for the first week with really annoying cravings but they are settling down and becoming manageable. Overall, I feel really good and I've even lost 7 pounds while eating healthy. I guess 6+ beers a day and half a bottle of bourbon for 10+ years makes you pack on extra pounds. Whodathunk? lol
Old 05-29-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Day 5-
Old 05-29-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Good morning everybody. Happy Friday!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Thanks Chanty. I'm an Aussie too!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Starting Day 22.

Keeping it short this morning (and the crowd breaths a collective sigh of relief) as I've got a lot to do today to get ready for my trip. Laundry, work, house cleaning, packing, taking some books back to the library, cleaning out my refrigerator, checking in here as often as possible...

Welcome to the Class of May 2015, MisterChill. Been watching your progress in other threads and you're definitely on the right track. Hope you post in here often! This class has been the difference in my sobriety this time.

Wishing everyone a happy and sober Friday (or Tuesday for you Australians)!
Old 05-29-2015, 05:57 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I have a fun weekend mapped out for me and the kids. Planning things ahead of time is such a novel concept.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi, guys. Checking in, day #8.

I finally finished reading Hijacking The Brain, by Louis Teresi, M.D., a Harvard neuro-scientist and also a recovering alcoholic. I posted a little about it last week.

It explains the biology of alcoholism, and has been very, very helpful to me in understanding what is happening to me and why. I'm using the info as the foundation of my plan.

Regrettably, the book is very boring and not really organized in a way that sets all that out in a easy to read and understand format for what I want to use it for.

I'm going to try to boil it all down to summary of a couple of paragraphs and post it here just in case some of you might find the info as useful as I have. Maybe I can get to that before our thread moves to it's new June location.

Sandy, hope you are doing well in your first day. It has occurred to me that you may be an everyday drinker trying to quit for the first time.

If that is correct, you may go through what is known as Acute Withdrawal, which can be quite dangerous to your health. If you have fever or shakes or seizures or severe heart palpitations or anything like that, you should seek professional medical attention right away.

Here's to a sober Friday all around.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Just got the results back from the hospital....

....and it's negative. I'm negative for HIV.

And because my encounter was a long time ago, on my birthday in June nearly a year ago, can say pretty much for certain that I'm in the clear.

Theres no way I can ever put into words the relief.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS use protection. ESPECIALLY in East Asia, ESPECIALLY in Thailand.

There never was much chance of it coming back positive. But it still could have.

End of the day, a game of Russian Roulette with a gun of 200 chambers one of which is loaded, is still a game of Russian Roulette.

My brain is pretty flooded with endorphins after this experience . . . going to have a pretty full on happy weekend this weekend - its 9pm here in CR! And looking forward to that new chapter in life I mentioned - a brush with something like HIV, however remote the risk, kinda changes you.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Thank you for your concern TENtx. Yes, I have drunk most days but the amount of alcohol differs. This is not the first time I have quit though and I have been fine in the past. I've been drinking lots of water and herb tea today and also enjoyed a nice pasta and salad for dinner. I'm sure i will be fine. I feel great at the moment. Quite proud to say in 45 mins Day 1 done. Although, it was quite confronting seeing your comments directed at me. The truth can cut deep!! Hopefully deep enough for it to stick. Thank you.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Good Morning all - feeling a bit sluggish this morning. Had a restless night filled with all the crap I used to drink to not have to think about. That AV is pretty relentless.

AGAGONNHOJ - so glad you got the good result. That test is the most terrifying thing - but so responsible and brave of you to do get it done.

MisterChill - I feel like we are on parallel paths and I'm just a couple of days behind you - same age, same realizations

SandyO - I hope today is easier for you. Well done getting through that first 24 hours.

Ok - I probably shouldn't avoid starting my work day any longer. Day 8 will be full of work and family obligations - I stay committed to getting through it all without slipping. No wine in the coffee mug for me today. No hidden stash upstairs when my in-laws are over for dinner so I can sneak in an extra glass. Me against the AV today.