Notices

Class of December 2014 Part 22

Old 06-21-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Good Morning Lovely Littermates.
Happy Father's Day!
Jack rocked his trick shows and the commercial video. One more trick show next Sunday and then we have a break.
Marty - that turtle looked so great. I hope you birthday was wonderful and that you have a wonderful year.
Tom and I are going out on the motorcycles - his day and he is planning the ride. Finally a day without rain so it will be great.
Do good out there litter.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Great for you and Jack, B! Have a fun day riding!

I'm smoking a pork shoulder today. Perfect weather here - 75 and sunny.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  
Do your best

Smoked pork shoulder sounds really really nice Marty yum !
Old 06-21-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

How long do you smoke your pork shoulder, and what with?
Old 06-21-2015, 12:59 PM
  # 245 (permalink)  

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. I use a great rub that's spicy and sweet. I smoke using lump charcoal (not briquettes) and applewood chunks. It depends on the size of the roast - I take the internal temperature to 200. Usually about 1-1.5 hours per pound. Then wrap it in foil and rest it for a good hour before pulling.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Smoking temperature about 230 degrees
Old 06-21-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 247 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sounds lovely Marty
Old 06-22-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Good Morning Lovely Littermates.
First sober bike ride and it was wonderful. Perfect and relaxed. Had lunch by the river - jerk burgers. Worth every calorie.

Marty - how was the pork shoulder - my mouth was watering reading your post.

Storms heading our way midday and later.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Pork turned out ok. Not as good as usual - the cut of meat wasn't the best this time. Still tasty, but not as tender as usual because some parts of the roast were fatty, while others didn't have enough fat. It needs to be evenly marbled for the best pulling. But no big deal. I'm just being picky. Tastes wonderful anyway.

Raining like crazy here right now, which is great for the garden. But as I look outside, I realize my gutters need cleaning. Good job for the daughter and SIL.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Ladders and I do not get along. Step stools make me nervous.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi y'all!

Went to the farmers market today and got tomatoes and squash....I've already eaten two huge tomatoes....sliced with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I seriously think I could live on tomatoes! Yum!

Hope everyone's doing good. It's hard to believe July 4 is coming up so soon! With all the rain we've had it feels like summers just beginning! Anyway...I look forward to it being another sober first.
Xoxo
Old 06-22-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Hi gang,
Sorry I have been so distant but i continue to be so busying to keep up with taking care of Mom, the house, yard, and the art business, I meet myself coming and going often. Passed my six month mark on the 15th of the month. A few cravings but not nearly as intense as a few weeks ago. Too busy to drink.
I'm glad you're breathing free air again, Marty! And how about my budding guitarists? Getting those finger calouses thicker? Keep playing, even if only 10 minutes a day.
And to everyone else, I hope you are fairing well with the heat, rains, and other summer events.
Peace,
P.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. I use a great rub that's spicy and sweet. I smoke using lump charcoal (not briquettes) and applewood chunks. It depends on the size of the roast - I take the internal temperature to 200. Usually about 1-1.5 hours per pound. Then wrap it in foil and rest it for a good hour before pulling.
That's how I do it as well. Webers are great.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Gnik - I used to have a horizontal smoker but it was a cheap piece o' crap and I just could not control the heat the way I wanted to. So I sold it to a restaurant owner I know who had another one just like it (for free food!) and sprang for the weber. It love love love it. Much more successful with the vertical smoker and it takes up less space on my deck. There's something so satisfying about a good piece of smoked meat. Do you ever inject? I'm thinking about trying it.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you, creek. Keep fighting the good fight.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Oh and speaking of budding guitarists - my son started playing about a year and a half ago. He does both acoustic and electric. He's getting pretty good. Heard him jamming on some Queen the other day.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Good morning! Gnik - I used to have a horizontal smoker but it was a cheap piece o' crap and I just could not control the heat the way I wanted to. So I sold it to a restaurant owner I know who had another one just like it (for free food!) and sprang for the weber. It love love love it. Much more successful with the vertical smoker and it takes up less space on my deck. There's something so satisfying about a good piece of smoked meat. Do you ever inject? I'm thinking about trying it.
I don't inject, I usually snort it. Just kidding. I keep it pretty simple. For pork shoulder I use a dry rub and a vinegar based sauce. I do whole chickens a lot too and they turn out great in the Weber. Ribs...ok, time to do a slow and low this weekend. Have you tried making jerky in your smoker? They're great for that too.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  

I've done a couple of whole Turkeys but not a chicken yet. Should do that alongside some ribs soon. Haven't been super happy with any ribs yet but I keep trying. I make two sauces usually - regular ketchup based sweet sauce and a very zingy vinegar sauce, which I prefer.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  

Haven't tried jerky either. What cut of beef? Chuck, or something else?
Old 06-23-2015, 10:16 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Hi, guys!

Creek, good to hear from you, buddy. Being busy can be a good thing. Hope you have time to unwind some though.

Marty, I smiled at your son playing Queen. It doesn't take too long to get the hang of guitar in my opinion. If you work at it. I've been playing since I was 8. Sounds like he is a natural talent.

Sounds like things are going well for everyone. Things are going pretty well for me. I've been enjoying the use of my legs. Surgery is just a few weeks away so I'm trying to mentally prepare for wheelchair time. I've got tons of things planned to entertain my time. Studying for the CPA exam is top priority. It shouldn't be too bad. I'm sure a lot of my time will also be spent on SR. Sobriety is nice. Working on my 6th week sober. It's cool.

Be well, mates.