Notices

Class of December 2014 Part 22

Old 06-15-2015, 05:16 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Copper - missed your post. How is it going with you?
Old 06-15-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your Dad Tonks. Best wishes to you him and all your family

I'm sorry too for all you guys struggling with the permanency of recovery.

It is really easy to convince ourselves that abstinence is control and that seeing as we've proved ewe can stay sober maybe we can drink responsibly now.

I tried that for 20 years.

I can always tell I'm still an alcoholic when I get to urge to celebrate the fact my life is good by going back to the behaviour that made it bad.

Honestly I reckon the only sure sign that something changed is when you know you can drink anytime you like, but decide instead you prefer being sober.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Ya**!

From the very beginning it was always the same belief for me... Which is, essentially, that the abuse of any drug of choice is a symptom of a psychological ailment, not a chemically predisposed disposition. I don't think it's a question of whether or not someone has control over alcohol/pills so much as do we feel the need to numb the pain.

I can only assert my own conclusions from my own experiences, as with everything I'm sure what applies to one wont apply to everyone. For now, this train of thought has a good beat and I can dance to it.

With that said, I still don't desire a drink. Unless it's a cold pepsi with a chili dog.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Have fun Jen!! We want a full report when you get back!
Old 06-16-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Good Morning Lovely Littermates.
Hawks win Stanley Cup!
Jen, travel safe and enjoy.
Tonks - continued prayers for your dad. I concur with you about the use of drug of choice for numbing purposes. I think you can get sucked into the vortex and its becomes difficult to get out.
I love the new experiences that feelings bring. I feel like a kid in a toy store.
Do good out there litter.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great day guys
Old 06-16-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

BBQ biker you must be a hockey fan! Why is hockey still happening in mid June?!? Lol.

Ok I am craving a drink and sharing here. Damn it is like an evil temptress. Good thing I'm home in a dry house and not getting out of my PJs! Gah....

I agree with Dee's wise words....for me it was never just one.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Honestly I reckon the only sure sign that something changed is when you know you can drink anytime you like, but decide instead you prefer being sober.
Yes!! I feel like I'm at that point. I know I have the choice to drink, or not. I really just prefer not to. That's a nice feeling.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Glad you posted, Kitcat. Cravings suck but they pass. Keep them jammies on and don't drink no matter what! You got this. Of this I am sure.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

I finally made it home!

Kitty- home is a Safe place to be when a craving hits! It will pass!

Tonks- I am sorry about your dad.

I am doing good. I am sober and very happy about that. I have been reading a lot of stuff on the rational recovery website. That seems to work the best for me. No drinking no matter what...no matter how I feel....and I won't change my mind!!

Have a super day guys.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

I have the start of a cold that I am nipping in the bud. This is so weird because I rarely get sick. Must have been from one of the kids at the trick shows last week. Crap.
Jack has the commercial video shoot on Friday and they have a professional grooming in the budget so he will look mighty fine.
Kitty - very cool that you checked in instead of drinking. You got this!
Middy - glad you are home. It must feel wonderful.
Tonks - hugs to you and your dad.
Copper - how are you doing? You sound great.
Marty - how is the home confinement going? How many days left?
Dee - you are so right about knowing I'm an alcoholic when I want to celebrate good things by doing things that made life bad. Any gigs coming up?
Hugs to you Brynn. I hope you are feeling stronger sister.
Thinking of our other Littermates and hoping they are doing good.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

B- that is exciting about Jacks commercial. I am sure he will do great!! It does feel good to be home and catch up with family.

Kittycat- I never stop with just one either. I always try to catch the high! I may be semi responsible for two or three days then it's downhill fast!! That's why 100 percent abstaining is the only way for me. My AV doesn't care if I die or not but I sure do!!
Old 06-17-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

I'm done with home confinement on July 13th. It's going ok but I'm getting a bit stir crazy. Yesterday I had permission to go grocery shopping. After the grocery store I stopped at the drugstore and the pet food store. Bad idea. I just got a call from the monitoring people saying they checked my point log from yesterday. I'm not in trouble, but she told me that if an officer had seen me and called them to ask if I had permission to be anywhere other than the grocery store, and she had said no, they could have arrested me. Yikes!! Didn't realize just how specific I had to be. I figured - necessary items went along with grocery shopping. No more of that for me. My heart is still pounding at the thought of being arrested in public and taken back to jail.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the rest of the time goes quickly Marty

D
Old 06-18-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Good morning! Lovely day here - I an sitting in my deck enjoying a cup of coffee and the quiet. So thankful that home detention allows me to be on the deck. I'd go completely cuckoo without that. I need outside like I need air.

Hope everyone is doing OK. I miss a lot of people who don't post much anymore.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Storm heading this way this morning. Jack gets a professional blowout and trim today. He will look all pretty. Commercial video shoot tomorrow so I hope he stays clean at SAR training tonight.
Marty - I would go crazy without the outdoors too. Technology has really made tracking of home confinement folks specific - amazing.
Kitty - how are you doing?
Brynn?
Middy - how long are you home?
Tonks - how is your dad doing?
Copper - how are you feeling?
Have a good Thursday everyone - do good out there.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Haven't really caught up on posts. I'll get to it. Hope everyone is well.

B, I'm okay. Life isn't without its problems and I'm still having some health issues. The biggie at the moment is my blood pressure keeps dropping. Not sure why. I'm taking it all in stride though. Got a bit over a month sober so I can handle anything.

I'll catch up later. Have a good day, guys.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Hello-
Had a great week off spending time with my family. Lots of playing with my kids, getting things done, not thinking of work.

Going to take my kids to see a Beatles tribute band we enjoy called The Sun Kings. In case you haven't guessed, I'm a big Beatles fan. They're a close approximation of the real thing sonically- same instruments and amps, etc. They play songs from the entire Beatles catalog, including late stuff that never made it past the records to the stage after they quit touring.
This will be my first sober show/concert. I've performed my first sober show last month, and that went well- but this will be the first show I'll see that doesn't include indulgence in alcohol( and concerts went well with booze). I'm sure it will be fine and I'll have fun, but it's another one of those doors to walk through. We saw the band a year ago this week at the same spot and it was a blast with much beer and wine consumed (by myself). A new chapter.

This summer is very busy. I have no idea how I would handle things if I was still drinking. Getting busy prepping for a new school year, studying for a test I have to pass in order to clear my out of state credential, teaching summer school and learning new curriculum for that. Rehearsing a new band backing me for a show next month... I'm going I have to be deliberate about time and wake up early each morning. This would not be possible if I was still drinking.

I hope everyone is well, particularly those dealing with stress relating to health and family ( and health of family members). I hope you can get through those trials.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Administrator

sounds great gnik

D
Old 06-18-2015, 05:35 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
...holds the key

You sound great sunking!

Just a quick update on what's going on here. I turned in my application for graduate school this morning! I'm so happy to have finished all the requirements and have it turned in finally!! Yay! I'm studying for the GRE hardcore right now and will take the test by mid July. Oh, and my last day of work was last Thursday, although technically it had been winding down for a while since I was only working a few days a week anyway. So....I'm free of the job I didn't like and moving forward into the wonderful world of Library Science!! Woohoo!!

Hope everyone's doing good! Glad you get to be outdoors, Marty! Not much longer and you'll be completely free!!
Xoxo