Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 18

Old 06-11-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

10 Months of Sobriety

Good morning (or evening depending where you are) August '14 !!

Chris here ! I am so grateful to be celebrating 10 months sober tomorrow with my wife and daughter, and of course a humungous piece of chocolate cake !!

I love and miss you all I don't take for granted at all that you are the ones that got me into orbit on this amazing journey. Some days are better than others but every day sober is 10,000 times better than a day of drinking !! Amen to that !

Love and miss you all !!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Good evening all

Well I was sat on my balcony in the sun just relaxing and could see people on other balconies having alcoholic drinks. Grrr, AV attack and jealousy so came on here and instantly feel better....played the tape too. Team A power.

Chris, so great to see you! 10 months is superb my friend !!
Old 06-11-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Do your best

You done great Nab

Congrats CC
Old 06-11-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Well played London!! Remember, the perceived fun is a complete illusion and total lie from the av.

Congrats Chris!! High five dude!
Old 06-11-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Greetings!

London, although I cannot imagine ever drinking again, I am waiting for the summer time blues!

This might be a hard summer for those of us who have spent many summer days drinking outdoors; but, playing the tape, taking stock, comparing how we look this summer compared to last - - will all work. We have come too far to be jealous of people we don't know who seem to be enjoying drinking - - -for all we know, they are miserable, and we would not want to change places with them for all the tea in China.

Chris, good to hear from you. Congratulations on ten months.

Let's keep on keeping on.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Great work on 10 Months Chris!

London, way to handle the situation- our like minded group importantly grounds us and is a place where one's worthy pursuits and accomplishments are celebrated, and being alcohol free is normalized.

It's been said that one will be the same now, as in 10 years- except for the people they associate with and the books that they read.

As always, I'm proud to associate with each of you and look forward to celebrating many of your successes.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Good morning all

It's Friday and almost the weekend! I am glad I did an extra check in last night, I feel much better for it. Scooter I loved your comments on others drinking - lots of people put on a happy pretence don't they? I did.

I am away off to work, just working this morning and then this afternoon is another mini trip. This time to the sun!

Have a great Friday all.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Happy Friday!

Boy it feels good to hit the weekend!

Got results back, not melanoma, but is another form. Minor surgery in a week or so and then I am good to go! Glad to know now, that is the tough part, the waiting. Surf weekend in a few weeks, so I will bathe in sunscreen. Casper the surfer is born!

Proud of you there London! Boy it can look like we are missing something. I sometimes miss the crazy guy I used to be, don't quite know why that happens. I was just a jack ass really. I think this is the first time we are all experiencing the good weather av visits. We got this. Can you really imagine how you would feel if you started drinking in the middle of the day? Where that would lead? That happy beach blanket feeling we are tricked into chasing would turn into an absolute horror show. If not that time, it would be right around the corner. Then back to square one we would be. We certainly would not wake up and think, boy drinking all day and night was a great idea!!

Gotta jump to the gym kids. Health is wealth.

"The food you eat can either be the safest and most powerful form of medicine, or the slowest form of poison." Ann wigmore

Onward.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Relieved for you, Determined! Glad you have an answer and a resolution. Bring on Casper!

Great job, London! I had a day a few weeks ago where I literally grabbed a beer out of the fridge to go out on the patio out of habit. It took a second before I said to myself, "wait! I don't drink!" I was really happy to put it back and grab a soda. That fine weather brings us a bump in the sober ride, but it will be cake next year!

Good to see you, Chris, and congrats on 10 months!

Pink-how is your garden coming?

Sorry I haven't been around-turns out full time school, full time work, full time family takes a lot of time. So glad everyone is doing well!

Old 06-12-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Administrator

enjoy the weekend everyone

D
Old 06-12-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Great news Determined!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Chris 10 months is freaking AWESOME! So good to see you check in, so proud of your achievements my friend, keep going G! Enjoy your Cake!

London, well done my man on smashing through the Av. Summer will be a challenge, but damn will it feel good to succeed, you handled it superbly! I have a fridge full of appletizer and shloer as my survival kit if the Av calls, or if friends show up. Well done london xx

Choobie I am finishing turfing the garden tomorrow. Last year I would be having a massive booze up and be to celebrate this, so I know the Av will come a knocking tomorrow! We will have a bbf, but it's appletizer and shloer on the menu! Pray for no rain for me tomorrow!

Determind that is fab news. I'm so proud of how you handled the news last week, that was a real blow and you just picked yourself up dusted off, and swaggered off! Amazing progress at a real fragile time! Wonderful!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Scooter and ultra, lovely posts about the people we have become! Love love love the positive vibes from you guys!

I have decided that I would like to become a sophisticated tea drinker. Now, I hate ordinary tea, but I want to enjoy funky interesting tea. This has not gone well thus far. I have tried 6 in the last 2 days. Here is my verdict:

Invigorating peppermint = mouthwash
Spicy chai = perfume
Green tea with lemon = washing up liquid
Strawberry, raspberry and loganberry = sweet dust
Ginger and lemon = spicy flowers
Green tee with ginger = just plain vile

Tomorrow I will visit the supermarket for my next haul! They smell so good but they are HORRID! There must be one that I like somewhere! Any recommendations?

Not much other news here. The weekend will be tea, garden, bbf, and then hopefully rest!

Hope you are all ok, thinking of you all xxx
Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Funny Pink! Try a little sugar and make sure you pay attention to steep times and water temperatures. Green tea is awful if made with hot water or it takes too long.

I wonder how you would like jasmine? Or a rooibos based tea?
Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Greetings!

I had a very productive day today - I put together the new desk chair I bought earlier in the week, I went to the hardware store and bought a doorbell and replaced the one that my snow shovel had fallen against and broken during a storm (much easier than I thought - less than five minutes, including shutting the power to the back deck,) and I replaced a bulb in an overhead light in my laundry room. These are all things I would have hired a handyman for in the past as I would have either been busy drinking or too shaky from a hangover to even attempt those three things. I am very pleased with myself right now!

Determined, I am happy and relieved for you. You handled your wait time better than most people - alcoholics and non - would have.

London, I am glad my post helped. The grass is NOT always greener in the other fellow's yard. By nature I am not a jealous person, but an attorney I worked with seemed to have it all - beauty, loving husband, two great sons - and she found a ring with seven diamonds in a restaurant bathroom on Martha's Vineyard. She turned it into the police, and in one year they gave it back to her as it was not claimed. I really felt jealous, grumbling to myself that things like that never happen to me, she always finds the best deals shopping, her husband treats her like a queen, on and on....a few months later she had a stroke; she was never the same after that, sort of had a look of panic/fear in her eyes and only worked part-time, and then she died from a blood clot at 50. Honestly, I was probably never the same after her stroke, either. I had been disgusted with myself for being jealous of the diamond ring find, and her stroke made me realize how foolish that was. I don't think I have been jealous of anyone's possessions since, and I think of her whenever I hear someone I know has won something, etc.

Pink, what about apple or orange flavored tea? I like iced tea, but rarely drink hot tea - I think of hot tea and honey as a sore throat remedy.

Any word from the garden police?

Choobie, it sounds like you are enjoying your busy life. I think habit, not av, is why you reached for the beer. ....like when I thought of buying a bottle of champagne to celebrate six months of sobriety! DUH ! !

Great post, Ultra. Thank you.

How about a roll call? It was great to hear from CaliChris, how about everyone else letting us know how you are doing?

Let's keep on keeping on!
Old 06-13-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Hey All,
Great to hear all the positivity on here and the resolve to keep trying.
I am gearing up for a fortnight back home in Ireland, should be fun and interesting!
Regards
Restless
Old 06-13-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday gang!

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Love you guys!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

"Ones destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things." Henry miller

Go find some fun
Old 06-13-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Hey all

Determined - I am glad the medical news was OK. I am poor at applying sunscreen and quite often risk none for lying out in the sun, so today you made me think. Good news though. You should get some of that coloured sunblock for your surf trip and make your nose a different colour. I always like it when the cricket players wear that stuff.

Pink - I have white tea win raspberry. It's very good. Only problem is I got it in Slovakia! Have you tried a Whittards shop? Or next time you are in London you should try one of the independent shops with a tea expert like they have wine experts. Tea rules!!

Scooter - your posts have really helped me the last two days. Thank you. I still have jealousy often - the story really made me think. Life is too short.

Well I am in sunny Malta. I love the place. Lovely locals. Although I haven't seen much yet. Arrived last night, slept, brekkie, then slept for three hours again just now. Clearly I have a sleep deficit to correct. But that's what weekends away are for. What a step change. I would previously have been cross about missed drinking time.

Have a lovely weekend all
Old 06-13-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Woke at 4:45am today to get in the trails by 5am. My goal is "7x7" on long running days (7 miles by 7am).

Second loop wasn't as strong as the first- likely b/c I took some heavy duty antibiotics last night since I found a tick on me. Anyway, logged 14 miles and all is good.

Lets keep it up Team!
Old 06-13-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Ultra your commitment to 7x7 is fantastic! I really do admire you!

London, my our weekend sounds fab, the tea sounded good too! Have been on pukka 3 mint today, getting used to it!

Scooter, iced tea sounds nice, can I make it?