Notices

One Year and Under Club Part 46

Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Yes, Casey! I think that is helping me in spite of the difficulty. This is the first time I've done that on a regular basis. Thanks for putting it so well.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your kind and positive words to my mini melt down yesterday. I feel stronger and more confident today. Happy Canada Day! Just hanging around home base today, staying safe and sober with the family.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Unders its definatly a day for sunscreen
Old 07-01-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

You Undies seem to be buzzing just now!

BeFree I hope you feel better soon

GHD congrats on half a year, awesome!

Cases in my early recovery I spent hours a day here, I needed it. I also found that helping others helped me. I feel that a lot of us arrive here with pretty low self esteem, guilt issues and lacking self worth. Helping someone, and having that person say that your support helped them, builds us up as well. Addiction is self absorbing, so to come here and do something for someone else for no reason other than we think we can help them, well, it shows that we are beginning to think outside ourselves. It is progress in our humanity.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Hi Undies

Site - Welcome! Congratulations on 49 days sober.

GN - Great job on 112 days and your first sober summer in years. I'm glad it's going well for you, in spite of the uncertainty surrounding where you'll live. All any of us can do is enjoy the moment we're in!

Cauliflower - Great job on making it through your close calls to 70 days sober. Some triggers are predictable and others aren't. The more tools you have to draw upon when you're struggling, the more likely you are to make it through sober.

Casey - You always have such sweet words of encouragement to share with the group. I'm glad your (not so new) job is continuing to go well, and that you're staying sober to enjoy it.

Amp - Scary story! I'm sure many runs started that way.

GHD - Great job on 6 months.

Saskia - I agree that alcoholism is an insidious condition. Your humble descriptions of how it's managed to bamboozle you at various times in your life is such an important message for us.

Toots - You've definitely been a huge supporter and generous listener to so many people on SR.

Carlos - Like you, the best thing that ever came out of my alcoholism was when my sobriety turned into recovery.

When I first got sober, I didn't know what to do with myself. I counted the days I didn't drink, but I didn't do much else. When I eventually drank again, I knew I needed to do more. That's when I checked out an AA meeting. I'd been before but this was the first one where I listened.

It's a big party weekend in the U.S. I hope everyone has their tools sharpened and prepared for the temptations of the 4th of July. In active addiction I was always searching for happiness at the bottom of a bottle. All I ever found there was fear, frustration, and ultimately oblivion. Using the tools I've learned in recovery, I'm finding real happiness, sober. It's taken me some time to get to this point, so if you're not there yet, don't despair, keep working your recovery til the magic happens.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWLSAST View Post
Good morning, Undies. Welcome to site and cauli. Today is my last day of vacation in Florida. I've had a blast visiting with my sister the past few days. Yeaterday I hung out with a high school friend at his beach condo. Today we are hitting the beach then play 9. Tomorrow back to my reality in PA and a 6 am body pump class. By far the highlight of my trip was hanging out with a couple SR peeps. We ate oysters, did some yoga, boated, walked, cooked, shopped, played music and toured together. We rocked the sober life. The AA meeting I attended yesterday spoke directly to that point. It says in tge Big Book that we are not a glum lot...so true. Since getting sober about 25 months ago I have found joy and happiness....and, oh yeah...freedom. just like Denzel Washington says from prison in the final scene of tge movie"Flight" ...here I am telling my story in prison and I never felt so free. On the relapse front...my last two relapses lasted 8 months each...plenty of tine to find new lows. Tge strange thing was that I was 16 and 13 months sober when I drank. Both of those days I woke up with the sane conviction to sobriety I had tge previous day...zero thoughts of drinking that day....but I did! Alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful and I caved. Today I have a stronger toolbox thanks to the fellowship of AA and when a strong craving hits, I have many tools to help fend it off. I am not suggesting that AA is the only way to get or stay sober...it is simply my way. I can only offer my own experience, strength and hope. Sorry for any typos or mistakes. ..posted via my phone. Anyway, enjoy this gift of sobriety we have given ourselves today! Carlos
I guess we have to always keep our guard up- no matter how much sober time we have
Old 07-01-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 387 (permalink)  

I was online in the SR chat room last night and we were talking about relapses. One point that came up is that we'll often endure extremely stressful situations to just go on and drink a few days later for "no reason".

There certainly would appear to be a knock on effect. I know, Cauliflower, from our class thread that you have recently made it through a very difficult time. Perhaps that is why you are particularly vulnerable now?

Make sure you stay close to SR!!
Old 07-02-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Amp, yes, I can so well relate to that. I suspect that when we are fully alert we resist the AV but when the "letdown" hits, we crash in other ways.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:34 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Thanks for that amp! That sums up very well how I felt after the bachelor party and two weddings I went to. Made it through those sober, then got slammed by cravings the following days.

For me, it's now the start of a long weekend after a half-day of work today. I mentioned I'm in sales for financial services, and none of my clients are around, so I'll just sit at my desk and work on planning stuff (hotels, rents cars, tours) for my upcoming trip to Europe.

Then after I leave work, I'm meeting my brother outside of NYC and going golfing. After that, we'll be with our parents for the full three nights at our family lake house. Will be lots of hiking, tennis, trail clearing, boating, fishing, etc. I'm looking forward to the weekend a lot, which will be sober weekend #20 for me. Nice not going into a weekend like this nervous about how much I'll drink at a friend's 4th of July BBQ, or anxiety filled due to my recent blackouts. All in all, I'm feeling very good about my weight loss and sobriety, but know I need to stay vigilant on both fronts because if I pick up a drink, my workout routine will be out the door, I'll be consuming loads of liquid calories and I won't care about what I'm eating since I'm so riddled with anxiety about drinking episodes.

Hope all the undies are well!
Old 07-02-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
There's a ton of power in the simple act of one recovering addict helping another. If you don't go to read and/or participate in the Newcomers forum anymore, I suggest you take 10-20 minutes a day and do so. Even if all you do is say "welcome" to someone posting for the first time here, it can make a huge difference in your own recovery. In my opinion, of course.
Not only does it help with my recovery, but I also like to think it helps with theirs. I remember my very first post on this forum, and how wonderful it felt to have people respond, even if all they did was say hi. I just knew I wasn't alone in this any longer, and that really turned the tables for me.

Enjoying a nice afternoon in France. It's rather gloomy outside (which is fine, it's supposed to be in the 90s the next 3 days) so I'm just staying in an relaxing, which is what I need anyways. Took a nice, long bath and now I'm going to finish up this book.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Unders
Old 07-02-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
I was online in the SR chat room last night and we were talking about relapses. One point that came up is that we'll often endure extremely stressful situations to just go on and drink a few days later for "no reason".

There certainly would appear to be a knock on effect. I know, Cauliflower, from our class thread that you have recently made it through a very difficult time. Perhaps that is why you are particularly vulnerable now?

Make sure you stay close to SR!!
Thanks Amp, that really makes sense. I am going to go with that, because it is probably why I feel this way. I am not drinking, I know that for sure. I have to be prepared to keep that thought front and center so as to not make irrational decisions when faced with the option to drink. I love my sober life so far, and I really really want to see where I end up after one year and beyond of not drinking!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Hi undies.
This thread is moving fast. Lots of catching up to do. Home from womp again since I'm sick.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

BF, sorry to hear you are home sick. Feel better!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hope you feel better soon, BoozeFree.

Starting day 56 here. Got a sunburn yesterday on the back of my shoulders that I dismissed as "not that bad" but it's hurting more now and made for a lousy night's sleep. About to head to the store to get something for it. Other than that, I'm good. Off work today. Finally got my schedule set at my new job--work Friday thru Tuesday evenings, off all day Wednesday and Thursday. I like it.

If I can get the sunburn pain down a little, I will probably go to a meeting later. Other than that, no big plans for the day.

Wishing all of you a safe and sober Thursday!
Old 07-02-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

BF, sorry you are sick - get well soon!

Reading here on the Undies is so inspirational. I'm happy to see new members :-)
Old 07-02-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Administrator

2 words Casey - Aloe Vera

Have a good weekend y'all

D
Old 07-02-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Dee is righ, aloe Vera is the best. It stings a hit when you apply it and it gives off a strong smell, but it's by far the best. I have Irish roots and sunburn easily, so I've needed it a lot. I actually picked up a fantastic bottle of it when I got a brutal sunburn in South America. Was smart enough to bring it with me to Australia this January, but when leaving the country, the Australian airport security wouldn't let me take it back the the USA cuz it was in too big a bottle. I tried arguing that the TSA let me take it to the country and that since it was in Spanish I'd been allowed to fly with it before. Anyway, they won and I left it in Sydney. Still upset about that one.

Moving on though, ha. I'm here enjoying a gorgeous sunset lake side enjoying a sparkling water. Had a nice afternoon of golf with my brother and we're going to play some board games as a family after dinner tonight and watch movies. Nice relaxing evening with no booze for me.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

HI Undies, sorry to hear you are under the weather BF. Hope that burn heals quick Casey! Get well!

I am so lucky that despite my Irish/English/Welsh ancestry, I do not sunburn, tan real easy. In fact people wonder if I spend all day tanning, but it is just because I do not have a desk job and am in and out a lot.

Been tormenting HRH Olive this evening as I bought a new vacuum cleaner. She, like most dogs, hates the evil vacuum. It went back to the closet so she is happy now.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:05 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I usually don't burn either, which made yesterday's burns all the more strange and unexpected. In fact, I just spent 9 days at the beach at the start of June and didn't burn at all. Anyways, the burns are feeling a bit better tonight. I will survive.

Wrapping up day 56. 8 weeks! Been a nice couple of days off work but ready to go back and make some money tomorrow evening. I didn't go to a meeting tonight but did watch an alcoholism-related documentary called "My Name is Bette." Decent watch, pretty touching. Made me grateful to be sober today.

Hope everyone had a happy and sober Thursday! I'm heading to bed now.