Notices

Class of May 2015 (Part 2)

Old 05-16-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Summerrain View Post
Kale & Cissy I'm on day 12
The brain is changing--that's why we feel crummy and have cravings. Sobriety is number 1 (at least for me) and I TRY to exercise and eat healthy (& get back to my normal weight before my heavy binge over the past year) but I cut myself some slack. Sobriety isn't easy so add a multivitamin and do a good effort but don't be too hard on yourself. It helps me to remember-- the reason I feel crummy or have a craving is BECAUSE my brain is changing.
Thanks, Summerrain--and congrats on your 12 days! You are so right, especially for me and my all-or-nothing tendencies, which often ends badly when it comes to drinking. I can be vegan easily, but I do get cravings for sweets and animal protein (usually dairy and eggs). It might be my body needs more protein now in the healing process anyway. My sister is an ethical vegan (doesn't buy leather, etc, either) and she has been influential in me not wanting to eat meat (Peta vids, etc), though I do occasionally.
It's my day 10 which has almost always been the magic day I flunk, but I'll carry on. Sleep hasn't been good, but I know it'll get better with more time. I do have some plans today (all with non drinkers).
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'm so impressed with May!
Have a lovely sober day!
Old 05-16-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Sounds about right AK. I experience that as well. It's getting much better though. I'm no longer bummed out about the weekend. Worst case now, I just have more "a drink would be great" thoughts than I do through the week. They are short and quickly dissipate because I play that tape forward. And it always ends with anxiety, depression, addiction, hangovers, etc.

The good news is, it doesn't have to be that way. You can choose to do other activities. I know, I know...nothing sounds fun. I still struggle a bit with it. The key is to explore.

Think about it. Nothing is gonna knock on your door and say "Hi AK. My name is Fun, and I'm here to make sure you enjoy today."

Think about this as well: if you dwell on the misery, it's going to be miserable. Right? If you try something, worst case is it won't be fun. But that's still better than misery. Right?

By trying, in your mind and in your heart, you're planting a seed. A seed that will grow to a fruit tree of enjoyment. Each attempt will nourish the seedling. Every weekend it will grow, and grow.

You guys can even use this weekend to plan some goofy events for next weekend. That's a step in a positive direction. Your outlook will improve. You'll start thinking there's hope.
Thanks, Incontrol, I love every word of this! Bears repeating in the quote.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jack16 View Post
Hey friends, sorry to say I slipped up, and I'm back on Day 1.

It's nobody's fault but mine. I am responsible for my actions. So, I'm starting again, trying to do things better this time.

Hope you're all doing good.
I'm sorry about that, but am glad you're staying on board, Jack.
I know I added more things to my toolbox list to help me stay sober after my last fall.
Wishing you the best in this. :-)
Old 05-16-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, all! Haven't posted for a while but I'm still here!

I have made my Big Plan.....I will never drink again. and I will never change my mind.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks KaleGrrl! Each time a little better. That's my hope 😄
Old 05-16-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Glad you picked yourself up and are staying with us Jack16.

Also glad you're still with us, Dharma33.

Starting day nine now. In previous attempts at sobriety, days nine through eleven or so have often been rough patches for me so I'm going to be extra vigilant today. Go to work in a couple of hours and then desperately need to do some laundry this evening. I don't have a washer/dryer at my house so will take my clothes to my folks' house, spend the evening hanging around non-drinking family.

Wishing everyone a happy and sober Saturday! (Or whatever day it is for you. Being an American I tend to think the world revolves around me.)
Old 05-16-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Jazz, you baked the cake yourself? That's a really nice thing to do! I am sure everyone loved it more than you can even imagine.
And Jack, glad you cam back. In the past when I was in a class on SR and messed up, I never had the courage to come back to that class. Keep trying!
Old 05-16-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Have any of you guys read Under the Influence yet, or the SR thread with the excerpts from the book? If so, I'm wondering what you guys think about it. I read the excerpts almost 2 weeks ago and it hit me pretty hard. I started reading the book but haven't finished it yet.

I learned a lot about why I am the way I am and it gave me a new starting point for making a permanent change. Right now, I feel like that book is what is keeping this real for me. I know that there is a reason I can't stop drinking once I start and I no longer blame myself for not having any self control once I do.

The choice I make daily is to not have the first drink because that is the only control I have over the situation. Once the first drink is in my body, then I have no power to stop and everyone around me knows that. There is no more "it's ok to have a few" because I know now, thanks to the book, why drinking only a few is impossible for me.

I AM responsible for the first drink I take and I know what WILL happen if I do. I also know what COULD happen and the COULD happens are even scarier than the WILL happens.

If you haven't read the thread yet, check it out.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
Have any of you guys read Under the Influence yet, or the SR thread with the excerpts from the book? If so, I'm wondering what you guys think about it.
I read it and liked it a lot. That book along with Sober for Good are the two mainstays of my factual take on sobriety. I do not like the sequel, Beyond the Influence, though.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Day 3 here. Anxiety through the roof and feeling like crap but I'm beyond determined to achieve life-long sobriety.

I feel weird joining a new class. Going to take some time to get acclimated I think.

I do hope to get to know you all better though.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Good morning guys, or afternoon or evening,

Hope everyone is well. Finally slept in about 2-3 hour stretches last night with some help from Benadryl. Would wake up about every 2 or 3 hours but was luckily able to go back to sleep quickly.

Still feeling groggy and head in a fog but it's only day 6 for me, although it's really day 5 because I did drink a little on Monday, but went through horrible withdrawals that day, so I'm officially resetting my count to day 5.

I keep making grandiose plans to clean the house, but feeling so out of sorts and weird. I probably just need to eat something. It's so wonderful not getting up with a hangover every day, though!

Happy Saturday!
Old 05-16-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi, dear friends. I'm still doing well. Been busy dog sitting today so that has helped to occupy my mind. No temptation to drink, but my eyes did spot a bottle of wine in the kitchen where I'm sitting for the pups. My eyes have been trained to spot such things over many years of drinking.

I came home to feed my own dog and let her out, but I have to stay here until the woman comes to adopt my bunny. I'm hoping that happens soon cause I need to go back over there to finish the dog sitting. This woman likes you to spend the day there, rather than most sitting jobs where you go to feed, play with and let out to do their business. She loves and spoils her dogs.

I wish I had the bunny woman's phone number so I could text her. I emailed to let her know that I was home and she could come any time before 3 cause I had to go back out but I haven't gotten a reply yet. Come on, woman!!

Jack, don't let it set you off on a downward spiral. Stay here with us and check in often. No shame, my friend. Just learn from the experience so you'll be stronger the next time those feelings or thoughts come around. ((Hugs))

I know how easy it is to just say "screw it" but I don't want to go through the single-digit days again. They will be just as bad or even worse than the first time (who am I kidding? This is hardly the first time I've stopped drinking.) And each time I give in, it's for a period of weeks, not a day or two. Can't go there! Just can't.

Have a wonderful sober Saturday/Sunday. Much love and support to all.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Day 3 Sobriety date May 14. Feeling pretty good today and so glad to be here and to be sober. Feeling really positive and rested and happy and I need to keep telling myself it is because I am not drinking otherwise I would be really tired and depressed and negative. It is a depressant after all, and when you struggle with anxiety and depression alcohol just makes it worse , even thought you think it relaxes you.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Coming to the end of day 2 and although I feel totally exhausted it's a 'clean tiredness' rather than a mucky and bleurghhh one (if that makes sense).

Even though it will take a while to get the alcohol and it's lingering effects out my system I've had a productive day - maybe that's because I've only been thinking about the jobs in hand rather than when I can have my first drink!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VirginiaWoof View Post
Coming to the end of day 2 and although I feel totally exhausted it's a 'clean tiredness' rather than a mucky and bleurghhh one (if that makes sense).

Even though it will take a while to get the alcohol and it's lingering effects out my system I've had a productive day - maybe that's because I've only been thinking about the jobs in hand rather than when I can have my first drink!
Clean tiredness is a great way to put it. I know exactly what you mean. Staying busy and in the moment are really helpful things to do.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Quit my job about an hour ago. Been a long time coming. Too many changes there over the last few months that I didn't agree with and that were affecting my income there severely. I'm not worried about it. I'm in the restaurant business and I'm great at my job and every restaurant in my town is hiring right now so I'll find a job on Monday.

No thoughts of drinking right now. Going to go buy some dinner now and probably hitting up an AA meeting tonight. Going to take this change as a positive move. I've dreaded going to work every day for months. I could usually pep talk myself into making it thru the day but enough was enough today. Time to let go and move on and find something new and better.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I was driving home after working my butt off this morning (exercise/fun, not actual work) and I was having some cravings but this lovely song came on the radio and got me right through it.

Then I got home, and I was having another one. I was both hungry and tired, so I had a snack and laid down to take a nap. Opened my eyes to grab the remote and turn off the tv and this giant, horrible looking spider was crawling across my bed towards me. I'm big a huge baby about spiders. After quite a battle (which I won, by the way) I was too worked up for my nap, but my cravings and definitely over!

Also, glad you're back with us Jack! It sucks to start over, but it's better than continuing on drinking, that's for sure. This is my 3rd day and my 2nd Day 6. I tried to take my relapses and proof that I really do need this. Hopefully you can just add more to your tools and move on.

Casey- sounds like quitting your job was a good choice! You shouldn't have to dread going to work. Doesn't seem to be bother you much, so congrats! Enjoy your few days off

Welcome to all our new May-ers!

Last edited by site1Q84; 05-16-2015 at 03:04 PM. Reason: had to cactch up on posts!
Old 05-16-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cissy View Post
Jack, don't let it set you off on a downward spiral. Stay here with us and check in often. No shame, my friend. Just learn from the experience so you'll be stronger the next time those feelings or thoughts come around. ((Hugs))
Thank you Cissy
Old 05-16-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Jack and hi Marcellina

best wishes for wherever your career path takes you Casey

huge congrats to everyone racking up those sober day totals

D
Old 05-16-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Casey, I hope you are able to find another job quickly. Good on you though for taking action to make your life better. No need to suffer needlessly.

Site, I'm so glad you got through those cravings! I hate that it took a spider to do it though! I'm terrified of them as well. One time a spider landed on my face in the shower and what seemed reasonable at the time was to kill it with a shampoo bottle...didn't think that through and came out with a black eye!!

Hi Jack, I just want to offer you some support. I have had more breaches in sobriety than I care to admit but getting back up is all that matters. I know we can beat this!