Notices

On My Way #2

Old 11-18-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Share as much and as often as you need, GC. Your family is in a sort of crisis; I wish that your BIL understood that he is also in crisis.

Lean on us; we are here for you.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Share as much and as often as you need, GC. Your family is in a sort of crisis; I wish that your BIL understood that he is also in crisis.

Lean on us; we are here for you.
Thank you; your words have more impact that you probably realize.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

SL, thank you once again. My inherent make up is to be self sufficient and while I am totally thankful that I have my wife to lean on I generally am the one who provides support to those in need. Aside from her I'm uncomfortable asking for help so when I come to SR it's often against my grain, but I know that because of people like you doing so is beneficial to me.

Have a great evening. I'm about to spin some vinyl and then take a walk with my wife and the puppy before going to bed.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Enjoy your walk, GC.

We are here for you - a second family.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Enjoy your walk, GC.

We are here for you - a second family.
The walk went fine and thanks for the support.

Today

My breathing is the worst it's been in a few weeks, but after a couple of hits of my emergency inhaler, in addition to the other meds I normally take, I went to the gym for a tiring workout with my trainer. I'm glad I went and I'm glad it's over. :-)

Tonight I'm going to attend a Boy Scout meeting of my son's troop. Some kids are getting their Eagle Scout today and I've known them since they started and helped them along the way so it will be nice to see the culmination of all their efforts. Further, their parents were very instrumental in my son fulfilling his requirements for the rank.

My son is coming home from college tonight at around 11:30 and I intend to wait up for him so tonight is going to be a later than normal night for me.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Sounds like a nice evening, GC. The Eagle Scout award is a huge deal.

I am very sorry to hear that your breathing problem has been problematic.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Sounds like a nice evening, GC. The Eagle Scout award is a huge deal.
I'm looking forward to both parts of the evening. I agree that attaining that rank is a huge deal and I'm sure that it will open some doors for him in the future. He was a late starter to the process and then took some time off in high school so he really had to push toward the end and get all his requirements done by the cutoff date, which a person's 18th birthday. A little nudging from me didn't hurt and while he probably didn't fully grasp the gravity of the achievement when he was working toward its attainment he gets it now and is glad that accomplished what he did.

And, of course, I'm looking forward to when he walks in the door. He'll be home for about 10 days before heading back to campus so it's a pretty decent stretch. I know tomorrow AM he's volunteering at a local soup kitchen and I think I'm taking him to get a suit in the afternoon.

I am very sorry to hear that your breathing problem has been problematic.
Thanks. It sure is limiting, but while I many not be doing any endurance training lately I can still lift, albeit at a slower tempo than previously. My pulmonologist feels that the meds I'm on are effective even if the pace of recovery is not as quick as I would like.

I can feel the changes and the good day/bad day ratio is getting better so I'm going to stay with the program and push along.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Dinner tonight will be salmon grilled on my lump charcoal grill and a side of string beans seasoned with roasted sesame seeds, sesame oil, lemon juice and garlic. The latter was a request by my daughter.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

Sounds delicious, GC. Enjoy your dinner and time with your children!!!!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Thanks my friend. It will be nice having the four of us together.

In anticipation of my son coming home, when I went food shopping this morning the bill was significantly higher than when it was just me, my wife, and my daughter. There was a similar bump after my daughter came home in August. Of course what's hidden is that while they were both college students I had the expense of the meal plan, but that wasn't reflected in my weekly supermarket trip; just in the insane checks I had to send to their respective colleges.

Were they both not so appreciative of what my wife and I are doing to support them it would be a different story. They get it hook, line, and sinker.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

You children sound like wonderful human beings, GC.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

You children sound like wonderful human beings, GC.
Thanks for writing that. My wife and I are very fortunate.

Goings On

My son's bus was delayed a hour so he got home on the wrong side of midnight.

I'm not sure what our plans are for the evening; something tells me there will be a request to go out to dinner by either one or both kids. Unlike the last couple of action packed weekends this one should be pretty mellow as we have no social plans. I'm fine with that, especially if the weather is nice and we can do something outdoors. I'm not sure what my daughter will be up to, but I know that none of my son's friends are back from college yet so his social opportunities are going to be limited.

My exercise for the day was going for a 3 mile run. I also signed up for the annual 5 mile charity race I run every Thanksgiving Day morning. Normally I've recently run a marathon before the race so 5 miles is a piece of cake, but this year the distance is going to be more challenging. My wife and daughter will also be participating.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful weekend, GC.

The 5 miles charity race sounds very nice and also a very worthwhile endeavor for thanksgiving. We are so very blessed.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Have a wonderful weekend, GC.
Thanks and the same to you.

The 5 miles charity race sounds very nice and also a very worthwhile endeavor for thanksgiving. We are so very blessed.
I can only speak for myself and my family, but yes we are blessed and a event like this is an opportunity to give something back while doing something fun with most of my family. It's a well organized race that is close to my house and goes through some very pretty residential streets. Many of the residents, coffee cups in hand, come out to cheer us runners on. It's all good and then I get to justify 3 additional plates of stuffing in the afternoon. LOL!

Tonight

As expected we're going to dinner tonight, probably at a southern Italian restaurant that's been at the same location since 1945. Nothing fancy, just good food, generous portions, and a wallet friendly price point.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Sounds like a very nice evening, GC. Enjoy!!!!!
Old 11-20-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 476 (permalink)  

Sounds like a very nice evening, GC. Enjoy!!!!!
Thanks SL; I'm sure we'll have a fine time. Not counting this morning it will be the first time we'll be together since my son's Friends and Family Weekend about four weeks ago. Certainly not a huge amount of time apart, but long enough to make everyone appreciate getting together again.

It's an interesting dynamic to observe and be part of because my kids are different in many ways yet get along great. Obviously as siblings they know what buttons to push and every day is not Shangri-La, either between them or me and my wife and them, but there's an extremely strong fundamental love between them and, as their parents, us and them so it's all good and I genuinely enjoy spending time with them.

Right now we're in a bit of a bubble. My daughter is very independent, yet does not have the financial resources to be on her own (in a lifestyle she cares to live in) and since most of her high school friends did not return to our area she has limited social options. My son's collegiate schedule is a bit off from many of his friends' calendars so he often is in a similar position. All this leads to them hanging with me and my wife and in general just being around the house. It won't last as they continue to make the mark in the world, but for now I cherish our time together
Old 11-20-2015, 09:22 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Family dynamics certainly change as our children grow; every stage of family has its unique set of challenges and rewards. Those of us with loving families are so blessed.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Family dynamics certainly change as our children grow; every stage of family has its unique set of challenges and rewards. Those of us with loving families are so blessed.
True, true, and true!

Last Night

Our dinner plans changed and we wound up going to a pizzeria that we used to often go to when my kids were younger, but haven't been to in years. Unfortunately, the quality of their food is nothing like what it used to be. My opinion is that they reduced the quality of the ingredients and changed some recipes so that they could keep their costs down and, accordingly, the prices they charge. Based upon our collective experience, that was a poor decision and we won't be back again as there are just too many similarly priced and tasty options in the area.

Today

I went out with my wife for a 4 mile run this morning; one of the advantages of having low expectations is that the standard is easier to exceed than if the bar was high and such was the case earlier today in terms of how my breathing felt, my body reacted, and our pace. I'm hoping to get a few more runs done before next week's Turkey Trot.

When I wrote yesterday, I didn't think we'd be going out tonight, but we are. My wife and daughter are going with a couple of neighbors to see a band at a local pub. My son doesn't really want to so I'm going to do something with him, possibly dinner and then some pool or bowling. I'm of a mixed mind because on one hand if he was back in college I would join the crowd going to listen to music and he's making the decision to not go so why should it be my responsibility to do something with him just because none of his friends are back from college? On the other hand we have not had just the two of us spend any meaningful time together since the end of August and I know we'll have a good time together. Definitely some grey, but I'm going with the latter position.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:34 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think/hope you and your son will have a good time GC.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think/hope you and your son will have a good time GC.
Thanks for your vote of confidence and I'm sure we will no matter what we do.