Notices

Class of March 2015 Part 5

Old 05-04-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Gawd, I thought this would never happen but I am pretty upset for no real reason. Birthday depression? Recovery depression? Dunno.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Do your best

Whats up Pouncer ?
Old 05-04-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
Gawd, I thought this would never happen but I am pretty upset for no real reason. Birthday depression? Recovery depression? Dunno.
Pouncer, idk if this is true for you but on special days especially those where everything seems to be going well I'll 'randomly' get depressed and I've come to realize it's because some days are so calm and perfect, I know it won't last and the realization that my day/moment of happiness won't last forever actually depresses me. Is it possible you can relate to this at all?
Old 05-04-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

((((Secretary))))
((((Pouncer))))
Sorry to hear you've been down guys
Secretary Id be devastated for a long time if anything happened to my dog, I think it's perfectly natural to still be grieving and feeling down. as long as you take care of yourself and keep reaching out here when you're struggling things will get easier

Pouncer sorry you're having the birthday blues too! It happens to me too, for no identifiable reason, I've just chalked it up to one of life's mysteries... i think any celebratory time can be a bit bittersweet. I do hope you're feeling ok though stick around here if you still feel 'off'
Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Pouncer. Welcome to the over-40 club.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:48 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I found an insightful article that helped:

Slightly Nutty: Dealing with Birthday Depression and Birthday Sadness: An Update

Yes, depression came on randomly. It is gone already. I left the house with the family and we went to Olvera Street. I bought a lot of Mexican trinkets for my daughter and me. We had fun -- the boys (husband and son) did not.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:51 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
You know, I hadn't thought about it like that, but that's a great way to look at the past of drinking with friends and drinking in general. In a way, all of us have outgrown drinking to some degree that's why we are all here looking for a fresh start thank you for sharing, Bobcat!
Originally Posted by NikTes View Post
Does anyone know how to embed both quotes from a post? I.e. the original and the responding? Good points here by Kafka and Bobcat. I think Wolf has mentioned it too. The acceptance part, I'm thinking of. Accepting that we don't drink and that we won't. Accepting our present and our past. Accepting our limitations, which become redefined into new healthy choices. Accepting each small step forward, however they manifest. We're all working hard at this new life. It can only get better.
for the first quote use the button

you can do that for another post as well...but the final quote needs to be done with the quote button

D
Old 05-04-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the depression went Pouncer

D
Old 05-05-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

After sobriety, does anyone else feel as if they are suddenly standing at a crossroad, needing to make a major life decision, a choice that is long, long overdue?

Mel
Old 05-05-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mel12 View Post
After sobriety, does anyone else feel as if they are suddenly standing at a crossroad, needing to make a major life decision, a choice that is long, long overdue?

Mel
Maybe that is what's so scary. It's like okay I did this great thing in getting sober, now what? It's kind of a let down.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Hi Pouncer, sorry to hear depression hit on your big day. I get that a lot too, birthdays are overrated! Glad it went away and that you enjoyed the time.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:14 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Thank you for clearing the quote thing up dee.

Pouncer, I hope you're feeling better today.

Mel, I relate to that feeling. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels at the moment. I don't feel down or depressed about it though. I'm just seeing the feeling as one of many I've experienced on this journey. I'm working hard on acceptance and being mindful.

I hope my fellow marchers are doing well. Hugs and love to you all.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Mel
Yes! This thought is consuming my life now. Thanks for posting. I am glad I am not the only one.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

Yes! This thought is consuming my life now. Thanks for posting. I am glad I am not the only one.
Thank you!--for your many messages and the kind response. Thanks to everyone. I have to watch it, and here's why:

DECISION PRESSURE --> FREAKOUT STRESS --> AVOIDANCE BEHAVIOR --> DRINKING
Old 05-05-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Mel
I have major life changes that are long overdue. LONG OVERDUE!!!
I'll get there is time. My children are grown, so it's just me, myself and I. My AH has made his life choices and it does not include me, which I am dealing with, most of the time. 15 years of marriage is a long time. So happy i did not have any babies with him.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mel
I had many overdue choices to make, yeah
I waited a while tho til I was sure my head was giving me good advice

D
Old 05-05-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

moe got a haircut yesterday and he's lopsided. LOL
Old 05-05-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Mel
Indeed. Now that I am not drinking to drown my career dissatisfaction, I have to face up to the fact that I am the one that has to put in the effort to improve my situation. I'm the only one that can change it.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:18 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

After sobriety, does anyone else feel as if they are suddenly standing at a crossroad, needing to make a major life decision, a choice that is long, long overdue? Mel
Yep! Plus I just graduated from uni a few days ago so this is now even more relevant to how I feel!!

I have to watch it, and here's why: DECISION PRESSURE --> FREAKOUT STRESS --> AVOIDANCE BEHAVIOR --> DRINKING
And I do exactly the same, I'm actually actively fighting against this right now
Old 05-06-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I had many overdue choices to make, yeah
I waited a while tho til I was sure my head was giving me good advice

D
Good advice Dee, maybe we are too impatient and need know it's okay to slow down. thanks.