Notices

Class of March 2015 Part 5

Old 05-22-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  
Administrator

Big no from me on NA stuff.
It's not about the alcohol % for me, it's about old behaviours and triggering that want for the buzz

D
Old 05-22-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

Yeah I definitely wouldn't drink it just because I associate it with 'relaxing with a drink' which would make me want more and eventually Id probably justify to myself that I could have a 'real' drink because I'd only have one and it'd be just like having this non alcoholic version etcc
Old 05-22-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobcat17 View Post
Day 81. Still going strong. Eating too much ice cream--probably not healthy. Need some alternatives. About to watch the last show of David Letterman. Going camping this weekend for the holiday.
81 days. Congrats!! I'm headed in that direction!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
Wow bobcat! Congrats on 81 days! I'm with you on the ice cream overload. Between shutting the AV up and having the flu for the past week, I've eaten my body weight in ice cream. I don't think I'm ready to give up the sweets just yet, though, so I'll have to increase my cardio or something! I'm on day 75, myself. I can't wait to get to those triple digits! I kept a journal last year when I managed to stay sober for 6 months and around day 90-100, not drinking became more of a reflex. My entries seemed to be more focused on what I was doing those days (going to the park, meeting friends for coffee, running on the beach, etc) than me being paranoid about going to a friends house and focusing on the half empty bottle of vodka on top of her fridge. Lol. It does seem a bit easier so I'm looking forward to that I have a quick question for everyone: do any of you drink non-alcoholic beer? I know that this is a hotly debated topic. During my last stint of sobriety, I drank an o'douls maybe once or twice a week? I was never one to get drunk on beer (always vodka) but I've always loved the way beer tasted. I've been debating with myself whether drinking o'douls actually helped me stay sober longer, as I had something to look forward to when going out with friends and it made me feel like a nice compromise: I gave up alcohol but I didn't have to give up beer. But, I worry that the taste of the beer reminded me of real beer, and eventually the fake stuff wasn't doing it anymore hence the relapse after 6 months. Any thoughts? I could easily live without NA beer. It's not even a big deal. It's just something about summer weather and sitting outside relaxing with a cold one sounds appealing... Is this the AV talking? I can't tell sometimes the AV can disguise itself so well! Thanks for the input have an awesome Friday everyone!

I was also a vodka lover, vodka and cranberry juice. Now the closest I get to that taste of that is when I mix sparkling water and cranberry juice. Yum!! I know what you mean about summer and alcohol, they seem to go hand in hand. Congrats on 75!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 265 (permalink)  
Stingy athlete recovery method

I am very glad to be back from a week of work travel. It was a grueling experience because everything had been scheduled too densely, which threw my diet, exercise, and sleep into chaos to the point of torture. Enough said.

I hope all is well with you! I will now go back and get caught up on the messages.

Mel
Old 05-24-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 266 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Mel

D
Old 05-24-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome back Mel
Old 05-24-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Thanks for your advice everyone. You're all right, I'll stick with pop and coffee don't want to cross that line back into old behavior...

Today marks 11 weeks sober! I'm going to some sort of jazz club with my family this evening. The AV has been loud this weekend, but I've been shutting it down. We went to the zoo yesterday and there were tons of people getting drunk and standing in line at the few kiosks that sold liquor. I'm glad I wasn't one of those people waiting in the hot sun for an over-priced drink!

Have an awesome and safe holiday weekend everyone!
Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

I have to agree Kafka. I think the NA beer would be a HUGE temptation to moving back into real alcohol. I've thought about it a few times myself but the fear of being sucked back in is just too great.

Welcome back Mel! The trip may have thrown your schedule out of whack but now you can get back into your routine. And hey, you learned a valuable lesson I should think. You learned that you're now strong enough in your sobriety to withstand a little chaos. Good stuff!

I hope everyone else is enjoying a well deserved break this weekend. Good luck to you all!
Old 05-24-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 270 (permalink)  

Checking in. Day 40?

I am really having a sh*tty hour/day/week/month. I am so tired of struggling.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
Checking in. Day 40? I am really having a sh*tty hour/day/week/month. I am so tired of struggling.
I'm sorry you're struggling so much Pouncer! Is it anything specific that has been triggering you lately or are you just having a rough week? The thing I keep reminding myself every time I'm about to give in is that no way will drinking make me feel any better. That thought in itself doesn't make ME feel any better but it shuts the AV down at least.

I hope your week gets better, starting with this hour today! 40 days is huge! You should be proud of yourself. I get frustrated by my cravings sometimes and vent about when they will go away but I've realized it has gotten better and easier. One day at a time We're all here for you, P!
Old 05-25-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SpiritOfDjinn View Post
I have to agree Kafka. I think the NA beer would be a HUGE temptation to moving back into real alcohol. I've thought about it a few times myself but the fear of being sucked back in is just too great. Welcome back Mel! The trip may have thrown your schedule out of whack but now you can get back into your routine. And hey, you learned a valuable lesson I should think. You learned that you're now strong enough in your sobriety to withstand a little chaos. Good stuff! I hope everyone else is enjoying a well deserved break this weekend. Good luck to you all!
No you all are completely right. I was thinking about when I was drinking NA beer last year during my stint of sobriety and I remembered that I would skip meals while drinking the stuff because obviously that's what I did when I was drinking the real stuff. Old habits I suppose. Can't break into new habits if I don't change all of the bad ones Thanks for your support, Spirit!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry your struggling Pounder I hope you'll find an upward swing in fortune soon

D
Old 05-25-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  

Doing ok these days. Surfed a pretty intense urge the other day by designing my next craft project in my head (I was at the doctor's office, so I couldn't actually do any activity to distract myself, but I also couldn't act on the urge, which was very fortunate). Didn't really dissipate for about an hour and a half---a very looong hour and a half. But I got through it.

Still trying to figure what to do next year---play it safe or go for my dream---which is stressful, but I'm managing. Pouncer, I'm wishing you plenty of strength to get through this sh*tty time.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Originally Posted by happytobealive1 View Post
Still trying to figure what to do next year---play it safe or go for my dream
This time next year it will be this time next year whether you do the thing or not......
Just sayin....
Old 05-25-2015, 11:19 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  
love is the answer

Day 70 here. Feeling just fine about that!
Old 05-25-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  
Administrator

great going mystified!
Old 05-26-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 278 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by happytobealive1 View Post
Doing ok these days. Surfed a pretty intense urge the other day by designing my next craft project in my head (I was at the doctor's office, so I couldn't actually do any activity to distract myself, but I also couldn't act on the urge, which was very fortunate). Didn't really dissipate for about an hour and a half---a very looong hour and a half. But I got through it.

Still trying to figure what to do next year---play it safe or go for my dream---which is stressful, but I'm managing. Pouncer, I'm wishing you plenty of strength to get through this sh*tty time.
Hey happy! Long time no see. I'm glad you're back. I'm even happier that you were able to quell those urges. Good for you! As for your dream, I say go for it. I'm not a big fan of the whole "yolo" mentality, BUT you do really only live once, may as well live the best life you possibly can. Good luck to you whatever you decide. Stay strong.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 279 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by mystified View Post
Day 70 here. Feeling just fine about that!
Hey mystified, welcome back! Day 70! Good stuff! How have you been these past weeks?
Old 05-26-2015, 01:37 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee! And thanks for the advice, mystified. I think I'm deciding to go the safe route, because it has a lot of good things going for it---living with others, guaranteed housing + job (vs. applying for something new and trying to find my own apartment), closer to family, no car needed, fewer hours at work (so not up for 9-11 hour workdays! 8 is all I can handle), plenty of resources for both fun and social support around. My dream will still be there next year (gd willing!), and hopefully by then I will be stronger, calmer, and more capable of facing the world. I finally feel good---or at least calm---about this choice, so I think I am going to go for it. Hoping it will work out!