Notices

Class Of December 2013 - Part 8

Old 05-02-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

good luck JR...

when I first got sober they put me on the purple pill, too much vodka and shine straight from the bottle for years I thought, when I was scoped I was told of the damage done,... anyway, I decided I was not going to take pills forever and got myself weened off it. I haven't taken anything for almost a year, but I still get reminders from the sharp pain in my chest/throat sometimes. I just relax and let it pass. Then adjust my diet.
A couple years ago there where times I thought I was having a major heart attack - just acid reflux. Quitting the booze made an amazing change in my body - still a work in progress.

have a good weekend all
Old 05-02-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zerothehero View Post
How's everyone doing?

My urologist wants to cut me. He says it's not my bladder but a swollen prostate, and the meds that zombify me are doing nothing. So, the good thing is I quit the meds. But...I'm not sure he's correct. What if my prostate isn't really the problem? I also didn't much like his response when I asked him how many times he's done the surgery. He kind of mumbled and then said, "One or two hundred times. It's not rocket science." But he said there is no risk of incontinence and really the only risk is infection. That's not what sources say online. So, for now I'm considering another opinion, quitting the brain-fogging meds, continuing with catheters, and not sure what to do. I also saw a throat doc about the pustule on my tonsil and losing my voice. Answer: meds. Pustule is nothing to worry about, but my throat is sore from acid reflux (though I almost never get heartburn). Hmmm...

Gratitude time, though. After all this probing this year in literally every possible orifice, they haven't found cancer.

Hope y'all are well and just too preoccupied with living the good life to bother with SR for now. Ciao bella...
Yeah I'm with the second opinion crowd Zero before you let him remove it. Lucky for me both my biopsies were negative.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
waking down

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
good luck JR...

when I first got sober they put me on the purple pill, too much vodka and shine straight from the bottle for years I thought, when I was scoped I was told of the damage done,... anyway, I decided I was not going to take pills forever and got myself weened off it. I haven't taken anything for almost a year, but I still get reminders from the sharp pain in my chest/throat sometimes. I just relax and let it pass. Then adjust my diet.
A couple years ago there where times I thought I was having a major heart attack - just acid reflux. Quitting the booze made an amazing change in my body - still a work in progress.

have a good weekend all
Yup. The prescription is a stronger version of the purple pill. Doc's plan is three months to heal, change my diet, then ween. I think I'll do it. My hard alcohol consumption wasn't regular or extreme, so it probably wasn't the problem as much as beer, wine, and my diet to this day, especially spicy foods. So, on top of my anti-inflammation diet I'm looking at eliminating more foods. Onions and spices just make me want to eat sweets, anyway...

The urologist doesn't want to remove my prostate, just reduce its size. Still, to tell me infection is the only risk turned me off. I'm getting another opinion. Truth be told, the catheters are inconvenient, but for now I'm comfortable and I'm in no hurry to get another surgery.

It is crazy. I keep thinking that if I had been going through all this drunk, not only would I have been mixing alcohol with meds in dangerous and counterproductive ways, but I don't think I would have been stable enough to deal with it. Even last spring when I was freshly sober and losing my mind. I have to say I'm surprisingly balanced and sane through all this. One day without the prostate meds and I feel much more clear in the head, too. I quit drinking just in time, I think. Part of this is I'm actually addressing things that have been an issue for quite awhile: skin lesions, voice slowly going, prostate/bladder getting worse, and my back just blowing out to the point where I couldn't walk and had no real choice but go under the knife. It started with an "episode," a subsequent brain MRI, three biopsies, back surgery, UTI, urine flow all but stopping, pustule on my tonsil and voice failing, all in a matter of months. My insurance company must be like WFT!? I've spent more on health care already in 2015 than my entire life, probably.

I stopped gaining weight, though. I figured out that if I don't eat fruit until late in the day I don't crave sweets throughout the day. I'm learning to eat vegetables and protein for breakfast instead of grains and fruit. Makes a huge difference in my mood and cravings. I flipped my day, basically. I have dinner for breakfast, salad for lunch, and fruit/nuts for dinner.

Old dogs new tricks. Here's to defying stereotypes!
Old 05-02-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Lost a friend today. It was not unexpected as she was in a diabetic coma just recently with many problems. Dialysis for several years. What irks me is when I was in Montana a couple years ago we were going to drive up to see them but the logistics was too difficult for the 8 hour drive for a short hello.
Those who pray, please say a prayer for Teri, may she rest in peace.

I am getting ready to visit my sister in a week or so, my friends moved there and are about 50 miles away from her now. But with my wife finishing school and going through all of he graduation stuff this week, I gotta stick around... One of the nicest persons I have ever known without a doubt.
Man.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss LB.

D
Old 05-02-2015, 04:56 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Lost a friend today. It was not unexpected as she was in a diabetic coma just recently with many problems. Dialysis for several years. What irks me is when I was in Montana a couple years ago we were going to drive up to see them but the logistics was too difficult for the 8 hour drive for a short hello.
Those who pray, please say a prayer for Teri, may she rest in peace.

I am getting ready to visit my sister in a week or so, my friends moved there and are about 50 miles away from her now. But with my wife finishing school and going through all of he graduation stuff this week, I gotta stick around... One of the nicest persons I have ever known without a doubt.
Man.
Brain, I'm sorry for your loss. These things defy explanation. I share your pain because I have suffered the same loss. Hurt - because you need to hurt. In time you will fund a place for your loss and move on.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
waking down

Sorry for your loss, Brian. Take care of yourself.
Old 05-03-2015, 02:57 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really sorry L sending condolences to you & your friends family

Sorry bud
Old 05-03-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
waking down

I feel vaguely angry, sad, and guilty today. Accepting (others' and my eventual) death, a failing body, my own poor choices - it's just not always easy. But, I'll meditate a bit and then get back to work. There are windows to wash. Yipyaw. Could be worse, though. At least it's something I can do.

Hang on, friends. Life is good.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vet69 View Post
Brain, I'm sorry for your loss. These things defy explanation. I share your pain because I have suffered the same loss. Hurt - because you need to hurt. In time you will fund a place for your loss and move on.
This appears to be a month of loss for our group. I will say Kaddish for your friend Brain. We can only wish that she will rest in peace and then we move on.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:42 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks all, and yes, zero, Vet, life does go on and we can be mad at ourselves for contributing to our own self destruction, or we can be thankful we were able to stop it and try to make what we have left better.

I took a break for lunch an while ago and the wife told me I'm "ripe". Not exactly what she said. Still wearing clothes from gym workout, finished doing another section of floor scrubbing and finished wash rinse area one more time. Just came in from cutting grass. It is hot. Shower time and then more outside/inside work.
I need to move into an apartment or a motor home.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:57 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

So sorry for your loss, LBrain.

Good luck with the second opinion Zero.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

The beginning of a new week. The missus is off to take her final exam. Hopefully she does good. This last semester has been a struggle with working night shift too. Hopefully the hospital gives her a job instead of the pca job she has now. Cause if they don't she's quitting no doubt in my mind. I'm going to try to educate her on how things work in this country again. But it's like talking to a brick wall sometimes.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

hello? anybody there?
Planting flowers outside today and doing a little landscape cleanup.
Missus is finally up and reminded me she is quitting her job
Old 05-05-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Heat is coming! Picked up a new John Deere garden tractor this morning. It replaces an old one that owes us nothing. Dropped some antique steel rod type of beds at a sandblaster. Visited our horse, Henry, at a stable up the road. He injured his leg, which is hugely swollen. He's on the equivalent of demerol, was quite spaced out, but took my carrots and hobbled a bit on 3 legs. He's a retired thoroughbred, and tends to go wild when spring finally comes, and he and his buddies and girlfriends can let out a bit of pent up steam. Lots of horse play. Thus the swollen leg. Vet is working some kind of laser treatment on him this afternoon. Sometimes life just ain't fair. As some of us know very well.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

I'm around guys. Working from home today. Tuesdays are usually busy but today not so much. Spent most the morning reviewing a document about helping people out who are losing their jobs in the declining coal industry. The afternoon has just been odds and ends.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Now: that would be an interesting doc to read, Vet. You have interesting work. Spring foliage must be bursting forth in Virginia. You sound good. Been a trial of a month for you, and you've come through.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Every day is a new day, If I had a garden bug enough to buy a little John Deere like you I would really be too busy to think of anything else-and really well fed too.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
waking down

People in this town just keep dropping dead. The children are bewildered. Like an existential vacuum sucking up the lost. The cops know the drug houses but turn a blind eye. The unemployed drive Cadillacs with tinted windows to the department of human services to pick up their food stamps. There's a church, a salon, a liquor store, and a weed dispensary on every corner, but you can't find a decent tomato or a straight 2X4. I'm exhausted.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Poor Henry. I hope his leg is ok. I love horses more than anything on earth but I can't ride one. I can sit on one while it walks around a bit, but that's as far as it goes. I just admire from a distance. I love the way they smell and their nice soft noses.