SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   One Year & Over Part 25 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/365177-one-year-over-part-25-a.html)

tootsl1 04-24-2015 11:43 AM

Woo! Does my bum look big in this new style??

FBL I will be thinking of you and yours tomorrow, a dignified send off for a special man.

Itchy, I'm sure Gilmer would help speed things up with the conversion! I feel that being content doesn't mean I have stopped striving, just that I can find a way to be happy with what comes my way and not be wishing I had what others do, or thinking that life must be better 'over there' where ever 'there' is!

Gilmer, I was in shorts today, yet sleet is forecast for Monday! Yeah I wish this weather would pick a season and stick with it!

IP, I like Kate Bush, I hope your dogs illness wasn't an opinion!

Mags you sound like a pair of comfy slippers and a good book!

Wolfie, hope you get the results you want from your appt.

Zip, I hope you don't regret the buzz cut, do you still have your ear flap hat just in case of another cold spell??

All is well in Tootsville, did a little work in the garden today.

Soberwolf 04-24-2015 01:35 PM

Thanks (((Toots))) And no your bum does not look big lol !

DrakeCKC 04-24-2015 02:30 PM

Chilly here too Toots. No sleet or such, but not much warm yet. We have had shorts weather already.. but not today!

Spent part of the day getting new tires for the old car. Being a bit on the old size, it takes a tire that isn't as common now. So I had to find a place to get one. Then decided, upon looking at them all while the car was up, to replace them all with a more commonly available size. Oh well...

At least I was not out buying $75-$100 bottles of scotch.. well... you know the rest.

Have a good rest of day/evening/night/morning wherever you are! :ring

instant 04-24-2015 02:52 PM

just popping by in a soberly fashion.

Thinking of you FBL hope the ceremony goes well for everyone.

I'm busier these days- playing music with others and learning a lot

InParticular 04-24-2015 05:50 PM

Friday. Had kind of a crap day. Now I have a date and I really don't feel like it but too late to call it off. Oh well there are worse things than having a date I guess. Date #2 with someone I'm still deciding about. Busy weekend ahead. The weather is such ^#:&. I'm kind of depressed maybe you all can tell. On the 29th it'll be three and a half years sober for me. I thought about having a drink today. Blegh. Sorry for the downer, this will pass. Doggy is better. :)

DrakeCKC 04-24-2015 05:54 PM

Date??? what is that other than a part of a calendar??

Have fun IP and relax... :hug:

Itchy 04-24-2015 07:16 PM

Hey guys!

We've had no lower than 71-90° F for the last two weeks. Granted it was down to 45 the morning of the day it hit 80. Rained today, drizzled and misted all day after a shower in the morning. Check the news out in the morning. Tonight at about 2AM we are supposed to have severe storms and torrential rains, again! I hope everyone stays safe with these major storms. It looks like they will pass us by to the North. One can hope.

Wolf, mine is fine today. Guess it was the crusts he pulled off the eardrum. I jumped once and he asked if it was hurting too much. I told him I was a wuss for tooth and inner ear pain so disregard as I will be fine because it felt like painfully scratching an itch. It hurt so good!

Toots,
My wife knows I'll tell a truth if asked if something makes her butt look big. I tell her clothes can't hide a big butt or narrow one, hers is just right for me in anything. Her butt makes the clothes look good! (even if occasionally I have my fingers crossed behind my back.) I didn't think you'd stopped anything Toots. Just my retirement gets old sometimes. Other times I wouldn't go back to work around folks here. Too many nasty folks disguising themselves thinly as pious here.

RZ,
I got my hairs cut to a buzz too. But haven't really been able to even wear my coats this winter like the frozen winter of 2013. We all are having strange weather. We're under a tornado watch now.

Hey Instant!

Drake,
I hear ya! We can afford to keep up with things better without pending so much on booze and in my case three packs of smokes a day.

FBL, you too! And drive safe tomorrow!

Gil,
You cold too? Hey don't worry about me converting, I have enough to read left to right! The last time we claimed any kind of church we went to a Unitarian Universalist place where we didn't have to believe anything.

Hi Andy :tyou

Oops,
Just tuned in the local TV. Sixty plus mph straight line winds. Tornados just West of us. I sure will be happy when we can be in the new house on concrete foundations. It gets spooky when trees are bent all the way over, and windup to 80 mph winds they just said??? Oh boy. Gotta get in a closet later, put my head between my legs, and kiss my gluteus maximums goodbye! We get hit, according to the local news, between 10:30 and 10:45. E. Texas has already gotten widespread damage from winds in the 80 mph ranges:
:c029:

See y'all tomorrow?

Dee74 04-24-2015 07:18 PM

stay safe itch :)

D

tootsl1 04-24-2015 11:51 PM

Hope you don't end up in Oz Itchy x

Instant how are the bands going?

IP how was the second date?

Drake it is also a fruit, very nice at Christmas and in cakes with walnuts! :)

Thanks Wolfie!

Wrap up warm Mags

Happy weekend everyone x

Soberwolf 04-25-2015 03:26 AM

Good stuff Itch you made me laugh at the end of your sentance im the exact same ear & tooth pain sends me haywire

Morning Overs the nice weather is over mrs sw & i done some shopping yesterday and we have planned a pjamma day ! lol were going to sort some things in the house out

About to have breakfast its a good day

Rusty Zipper 04-25-2015 04:01 AM

good wishes for today fbl

and itch, dont pay any attention to the man behind the curtain

FBL 04-25-2015 04:46 AM

Stay safe, Itch. If you do blow away, say "hi" to the munchkins for me:)

Gettin' ready to drive 230 miles due west for Dad's burial. Had a steady rain last night, but that has stopped for now.

Have a great weekend, gang!

Soberwolf 04-25-2015 09:54 AM

Thinking of you sending love strenght & thoughts

(((((FBL)))))

Itchy 04-25-2015 11:37 AM

It split in two, ten miles West of us, and went North and South of us at the very last minute so we only got torrential rain but none of the reported 80 mph winds. Having Doppler radar is a great thing when told to take cover, we do, and someone's life/lives are saved. But many like us just ignore the warnings because, for example in our case, we have had all the warnings for twenty years. Our family lived in Bossier City when the tornado destroyed downtown and they watched it from just across interstate 20 and not a leaf was harmed outside of its path. Personally we had a tornado go by in the next yard and take out giant oak trees while visiting one evening. Another just barely touched down on our house and tore the center of a designer fiberglass porch roof out that was screwed in securely, but left a pile of papers undisturbed underneath on a pile of brick stored there. That one took the next door neighbors 10'X10' utility up in the air and deposited it three streets over. But my sheds on the other side of a wood privacy fence were undisturbed. We have seen trees bowed over to the ground and snap back and once had hail damage our cars and truck. We bought metal nice looking carports since. As bad as they are, and tragic when they take lives, fifty feet away from its path it is like a squall then back to rain or sunshine. I would rather that, than earthquakes like the poor souls lost in Nepal today experienced. They, like the poor folks in Argentina today are experiencing from major volcanic eruptions, affect everyone in the affected area and can take out utilities and basic infrastructure like water supplies and shelter. Tsunamis are also regional for the whole area they hit when major. We haven't had any major impacts from space but those can be global.

I think that it is a miracle for those of us that live around and through our increasingly violent and unpredictable Earth weather and seismic activity.

Then we consider that beyond all that, we are traveling away from the center of the universe at incalculable speeds on a self-contained Space Ark Earth, while circling a fiery sun with other giant planetary space arks in close proximity, all held together and apart by a gravitational force we still haven't managed to understand, let alone control.

And as our armada of self contained ecosystems hurtle along we have periodic showers of planetary rubble left over from the initial explosion that passes through our path, as well as our armada we call Solar System passing through other debris fields.

Then we find us drinking down here on the surface thinking our problems large, and our lives boring as we forget we are hurtling along without a way to accelerate, speed up, or slow down.

And then out of the millennia before, and one second to millennia after us, depending on no solar event or collision with large planets or debris, we only get to ride our Space Ark for at most a century, usually only five to nine decades, some passengers less because they don't care for themselves.

Those who think they are secure think again, those terrified think again. We get one tiny segment of the total journey of Spaceship Earth. And we need to stop the jerks playing with nuclear toys, guns, and trying to divide us even more than into just countries, that are screwing around with our only air and water supplies for the entire trip and all the passengers today and tomorrow.

I realized how futile fear is. And how much more satisfying hope and courage are to be a good citizen of the Galaxies and only Ark we can inhabit today. Perhaps we will be able to colonize at some point soon. And then we double the chance for one of our groups to survive our propensity for controlling others under threat and execution of violence on our Ark and inhabitants.

But in the meantime, since we are on an adventure we take for granted anyway, though trite by now and repetition I can only hold as my goal one easily remembered phrase - Carpe Diem.

I love a good storm. It brings perspective.

What counts are FBL's family gathering to honor a fellow alcoholic ho recovered and became an icon to our friend, and thus touched our lives too.

And all of our families we dared have and belong to, on our voyage through space.

Let's be careful how we touch others and our only Ark to ride for the adventure of our lives, and our only human race.

Ok that was unplanned. I'll leave it.

The sun is out. I have the perfect present to do with as I wish.

Have a great weekend as we hurtle, and grieve a bit for the unusual number of souls lost to violent shaking of the Ark's frame and malfunctioning climate control.

I'm going to finish listening to Sergio Méndes and Brasil 66 sing "One Note Samba/Spanish Flea" and then appropriately hear them sing "The Fool On The Hill," and go out and enjoy my part of our Ark. Enjoy yours!

Itchy 04-25-2015 11:50 AM

Thanks RZ, Toots, Wolf, and Dee for hosting this coffee klatch.

We were worried a bit last night. But not enough to be frightened like Skylar, our male older dog. Half Lab half Border Collie who's terrified of thunder and has to get up and lay at my feet. Then he's OK. Maggie doesn't even care. She ignores it as the noise rain makes.

I hope you guys really do have a grate-full present. Tomorrow we'll do it again.

Soberwolf 04-25-2015 12:51 PM

Really enjoyed reading your posts itch my dog dont like the thunder either i got my lil buddy a new doggy pillow he loves it hes on it now lol

Evening to the Overs

tootsl1 04-26-2015 12:45 AM

Molly hates thunder and fireworks.
Thanks for the reminder of how significant my problems are in the big scheme Itchy, I love looking at the stars or the ocean, both have the same effect ! The world existed before me, will continue after me, it's up to me to make my stay here worthwhile.

FBL 04-26-2015 04:51 AM

Itch, glad to hear you are safe. Thanks for another thoughtful post...you certainly have a way with words, my friend.

Dad's graveside service went off without a hitch. It was a bit on the cloudy side, but it did not rain. The color guard did an amazing job as did my cousin's wife as she played Taps on her trumpet. Dad was very active in the American Legion and he attended many funerals as a member of the color guard, so he would've really appreciated it. About 20 of us went out to lunch afterwards and visited for 2+ hours. It's days like that which really make me appreciate the good fortune to be a member of such a wonderful family. It all flows from our parents and their ancestors as the circle of life goes on.

Have a great Sunday, overs!

Soberwolf 04-26-2015 10:22 AM

(((((fbl)))))

Itchy 04-26-2015 01:40 PM

I hear ya Toots.

Thanks Wolf!

FBL,
Glad to hear how it turned out for your family. That's wonderful! Family is the foundation that supports whatever we choose to build. I sometimes wish I'd had a chance to have a Dad too when I hear of your kind of relationship. My Gramps did a great job as a fill in from age 6 to his passing in '74. I think I've been there for my boys too..