Notices

One Year & Over Part 25

Old 05-11-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Rick,
Congrats!
18 months is a real milestone.

I like not worrying anymore about wanting to have alcohol too.
We stayed in a little border town just south of Sumas WA, on our return from 10 months RVing Alberta, then Alaska, then BC on the way back on the Cassiar Hwy. Wonderful countries aren't we?

OLL,

Ours were stressful at age 15 up, and age 15 down.

If you ever are convinced you are a perfect parent doing everything right, that's when you're in trouble. Nothing on life could give us the stress our kids could.

Sober, we find we aren't as terrific as we thought. I think many folks still buy into the delusions they experienced under its influence.

Alcohol took the clarity away allowing us to feel powerful, interesting, and exciting. When life and real decisions, some fearful, got in our faces we could drink them away. Soon it becomes habit.

Faced with many stresses and decisions in my sobriety, both the fearful and the ones requiring a lot of learning and unlearning curves, I sometimes think dang, I need something strong to feel equal to the task. Today, a full strength Coke with a twist gives me the break I needed.

Many folks ask if they will ever recover the real selves they had before drinking. I am sure many didn't have much before drinking. Some few may have suffered severe cognitive damage, but I doubt they are sober, or that doing more damage will help.

I read a brilliant quote years ago that grabbed me: "We are only as interesting, as we are interested." I find people under the influence interested in only themselves. They have trouble focusing on or even caring about themselves, let alone an other.

I have found that actually listening to another and not suggesting solutions, or doing much other than active listening, results in that other person feeling that I am unusually intelligent, and worthy of respect. Just by being interested in them. But being interested in many things also makes one interesting to others who are interested.

Babies are only interested in themselves. Thank goodness so are most of us as parents interested in them. But I sure had moments when mine tried my self - restraint in their teens. I got even with my kids, I became a grandparent!
(and we were overseas or traveling in our RVs when our GKids needed babysitters. We told our kids that we don't babysit, we raised them, now it is their turn. We loved their visits. Then they went home.)

FBL,
Seeing mom getting out and getting on must feel pretty good right now. Especially after she stuck around you and your dad, believing in you, until you got back to believing in yourselves.

Wolf,
3:30 in the afternoon here.

Dee,
How are you doing lately?

Hi everybody!

Speaking of omelets, I can flip them and do, however my favorite way to prepare omelets is the have the broiler hot and ready, and the with the broiler door open, so the handle can stick out, I slide the omelet in to finish cooking the top. Then I can fold it as it slides out of the pan on the plate, or leave it open. Makes them fluffier.

OK slow Monday. My push mower gave up the ghost last week, and today I went out to take pics in the workshop and locked my keys inside! So today no driving or working in either metal buildings, until my Significant Harassment comes home from her four letter word that she does all day and ends in k.

We had violent storms all night and tornadoes touched down all around us with severe damage to people and property. Van Texas is an hour West of us and Nashville Arkansas is about an hour North. Our house is put off again as we are flooded and wet again! With rain forecast all week! Until two years ago we had three years of drought like California has now. I'll take the rain and be grateful for the @#$$%!@ rain and storms.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

OLL - congratulations and welcome!

SW - Gotham watched and very nearly bedtime

Itchy - great post.

Things are ok with me, just trucking along...
Old 05-11-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Administrator

All good here Itch

congratulations Rick & welcome back

D
Old 05-11-2015, 09:21 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs

Itchy, fantastic post, no truer words were said!
Talking of omlettes you reminded me of the soufflé omlette I did make many years ago. Separate the whites and yolks, mix them separately , making the white quite thick but with 'folds' mix them both together. Cook as a normal omlette but do as itchy mentioned, last few minutes in the broiler or, for me, under the grill (having it nice and hot beforehand) there you have it...soufflé omlette a la englander. Lol

Hope toots is having plenty of sun and relaxation, or running!

A good day to all.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Good morning Overs.

A special Hi to OLL and well done Rick.

Have a good day everyone.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:57 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi Y'all

Welcome (back) OLL, always room for a little one. I'm sure I read somewhere that the sleep deprivation and noise levels of a crying infant would be banned by the Geneiva convention, so my hat goes off to all parents. I wonder OLL you say you have anxiety ( only natural for a first time parent, by the third you are dumping them on anyone who offers) perhaps this is transferring to the little one? They seem to absorb emotions through osmosis at that age, they are so affected by U.S. Maybe some relaxation techniques, yoga, or meditation even just for a short few minutes each day may help?

Rick, I am so glad you had such a good time sober, at the weekend. preparation and vigilance always pays off.

Mags I am having a lovely time, just back from today's run, and chilling for a wee bit before going down to breakfast. I have booked a dive for this afternoon, with a wee refresher first as it has been a few years since I donned the scuba gear. I am looking forward to it though! Hubby will chill ( or melt rather in these temps) on the beach happily. He doesn't really 'do' water sports.

I do the same with my omelettes Itchy, I sprinkle a bit of grated cheese over it before I grill it to add a nice brown toast top. I also often sprinkle a bit of Worcester sauce on it.

Hi Andy, what's happening in the outside world? Mountains and carnivorous plants? What part of Staffs was that!!!

You know the advertising burb 'say it with flowers'? A long ago boyfriend gave me a Venus Fly Trap. I often wondered what he meant by that!!

Hugs everyone. Xx
Old 05-12-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Rick, congrats on 18 months!

Rusty, hope you pass your tests and start feeling better soon. How's the "smoke free" project going?

Cloudy and cool here today...just the way I like it

Have a great Tuesday, overs!
Old 05-12-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

ekg machine broke, have to go back

and still smoke free fbl!

i had to get the second part of step 2 before for this to work
Old 05-12-2015, 04:51 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Hope they don't charge ya for breakin' the machine, Rusty! I always knew you had a big heart, but c'mon pal

Best of luck on the non-smoking...I know you can do it!
Old 05-12-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi FG Gotham was good

Itchy sorry for saying evening at your 3pm lol i love this timezone thing awesome post btw

Hello everyone, doing a few quick check ins as i have to do a couple things

Just gave my dog a bath

Want to get started on a few things round the house bit of painting more clearing out

spk soon guys
Old 05-12-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Morning everyone, thanks for the further welcomes and hi's
Itchy, I can certainly relate to the "Dang I need something strong to feel equal to the test" statement. Although taking care of a baby may seem simple enough (feed, play with, change diapers, etc), I am overwhelmed by how much influence I could possibly have on her development and personal contentedness with life. Every decision carries so much weight in my mind. It also wears me down now that she's into the temper tantrum/asserting independence/but also clingy phase. What's the twist in your coke? Lime? Good luck with all that weather!
Toots thanks for the reminder to get back into relaxation things. I absolutely need to start making it a priority to meditate. I have a little bit of time during her naps that I usually shower, do dishes, laundry, or just space out on my phone or tv. None of which are truly soul-feeding relaxation, haha. Have fun on your dive today! Sounds like fun!
Rusty, grats on being smoke free and good luck when you go back for your EKG! Shame they don't have a backup machine for when that happens.
Soberwolf sounds like a productive day, enjoy!
We make our pancakes with the whipping/mixing egg white trick too. Also some pear puree which give it a bit of sweetness. Delish!
Day is starting out a bit cloudy but I think it's going to clear up. Hoping to walk in the town center, bring a lunch, get a coffee or something.
Again thanks for having me
Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Overs 5.12pm
Old 05-12-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya a nice evening here at moment, heavens opened earlier though.

Where would we be without Worcester sauce, toots? Had to hear you're having a good time, diving sounds interesting.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi Overs.

I am in the middle of painting my dining room. It looks like a disaster zone in here. My kitchen has very little cabinet space and there is no pantry in my house, so I have some shelves between the kitchen and dining room that I use to store canned food, dry goods, paper towels, and a host of other random things. As I had to move everything off the shelves so I could paint behind them, it's kind of crazy around here. My coffee table is now host to the microwave and some pots and pans.

Anyway, I am hoping to get the painting finished today so that I can start putting things back in order soon. I can't live like this.

Overall, I am pleased with the progress.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Re-Member

DG,
I hate living in a house we are renovating! Painting's OK but we never lived in one place long enough to paint any after the pre move in painting.

Oll,
We all feel stressed by our kids. They don't come with instructions, not even washing and getting the wrinkles out instructions. No perfect kids, no perfect parents. All we can do is our best to love em.

RZ!
Congrats on hanging in there on quitting smoking! That will do as much for your longevity as quitting drinking. I never had allergies then started getting them according to my doc. I was on inhalers! Once I quit, my allergies quit too. Completely.

Study up to pass your tests! Annual routine?

My SH still smokes and is using inhalers too. She saw me be completely cured just by quitting smoking. You've already detoxed, so the rest is maintaining. You've outgrown your adult binkie!

Toots,
I am jealous and happy for you! Enjoy your dive! Tell us about it!

FBL,
That's what got is into RVing. Mom moved to California from the East coast where I spent my teens, and we were everywhere but. She was my last remaining parent and had Alzheimer's. She knew us and remembered long term memory items, but her short term was gone. She died suddenly with little to no pain of a massive embolism. But we swung by for years. My brothers took care of her too. They lived with her! Not the other way around, so it worked out. They are ten years my juniors so we never really lived together. That she knew I loved her was taken care of often by the three most important human words we can ever utter.

Yours really knows too.

Wolf,
No apology necessary, I was just commenting on the time differences not criticizing. We had to deal with time zones all our lives just to call friends and family in the US from there and abroad. You are six hours ahead of us. The US has four time zones so calling from the East coast to the West coast at 10AM local is 6AM in San Diego. Your greetings are kewl bud!

The RV roof is fine but the TV antenna was put back in wrong. It needs to be removed and the o ring replaced. Other than that we are thrilled with the job they did. Even if I have to get a pro up there, still worth it.

My diesel is leaking coolant and I'll have to bring it in. Now that could be expensive. I can do hoses but this one I can't find. In my drinking days Id drive it several weeks before bringing it in, and drink more while stressed. Boy, was I ever delusional.

My life did not get better, I did at dealing with it.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:19 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Re-Member

OLL,
I meant to answer about my twist in my Coke. It is a slice of Lemon floating on top after squeezing a bit into it. Habit I picked up in Germany as they serve cola mit citron, as well as their Weissen Bier with a slice of lemon floating on top. I liked both and cherry Coke has nothing on lemon zest for me.

I also got into the habit back as a kid when no one knew about Bigelow's Constant Comment Tea, a spiced blend of orange cinnamon, clove and other spices blended with good black tea in bags. I drank it in the 60's and it is made in RZ's home town!

I also love herb teas. Nothing fancy just a good pomegranate or Chamomile blended herbal teas from Celestial seasonings and Bigelow. I add my own citrus twists and even have made them iced drinks.

I have not, nor plan to, ever quit my last addiction - Caffeine. They try with study after study to find something harmful in coffee and can't to date. I drink at least a 12 cup pot of drip Folger's by noon, then some teas and maybe a Keurig gourmet coffee. The Keurig is my SH's machine that I use for water for teas. My drip coffeemaker is a Hamilton Beach Brewstation that has no glass pot. No fancy machines or Espresso machines or frothers. No Barista pretensions just good commodity Folger's coffee brewed to my taste. I have a friend that is my oldest son's age who is all about grinding his own beans and frothing milk and adding chocolate syrup and ends up with e hot coffee chocolate shake made with an espresso machine. I kid you not. But hey he doesn't like my Keurig coffee.

Different strokes. I like any coffee made for me by another that gets into it. But I do not pay three bucks and up for a coffee shop coffee. Buying Keurig cups in boxes of 80 at Sam's club they still cost 50 cents a cup! I drink too much coffee to pay that for mine.

No I do not get coffee jitters. I can drink a hot cup of coffee just before bedtime and fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow. No sour stomach as I am on a little purple pill daily to stave off reflux, which it does amazingly well.

I like the hard stuff. No low test decaf for this boy.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Itchy.. we are twin brothers of different mothers it seems. I am a caffaholic.... I have to have my coffee and can do it 24/7 without a bit of problems. No insomnia, no shakes, no stomach problems... My folks were coffee drinkers and I was always an early bird in getting up in the morning. So when I could be responsible enough, she showed me how to make the coffee so there would be some when she and dad got up. I started in on it too.

It is 9:35 PM here and I have about 1/2 cup to finish. Hi Test too, good and dark roast.

In other news...

Started planting the garden today. Not much in yet, some tomatoes and tomatillos for salsa and the pole beans. Going to do okra as usual and maybe an eggplant if there is room.

Have a good night/morning/day/evening... whatever it is for you!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning overs. Hope you're all ok.

I've got tomato plants on the go, too, Drake. Those and garden peas are about my limits at the moment. I'd like to get more into it. I need to invest in a small greenhouse. Are the tomatillos small tomatoes? We have small cherry tomatoes, very popular I over here for lunch pack ups etc.

Well it's 05.31 am and I can't have a coffee until after my blood tests at 8.30 am so it's water for me until then and no breakfast. Duh.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hey brother Drake!
I am just finishing a cup of green tea, and am having a grapefruit soda next. Nah, changed my mind got a green and white fortified tea with lecithin and other herbs.

Mags,
Still Tuesday here at 11:35 pm. Good luck with the gardens. Tomatillos are closer to gooseberries than tomatoes. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...os&FORM=HDRSC2
Old 05-12-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Magsie

Ah thanks itchy, just sounded like tomatoes. Just goes to show.lol.