Notices

Class of March 2015 Part 4

Old 04-10-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Day 12 complete. Day 3 no smoking complete.

Checking in.

Very fatigued and a bit cranky but who cares. I'm hitting the gym daily regardless. Better than being a greasy drunk!

Hope everybody has a sweet Friday. Ok gotta try to focus on getting some work done.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bobcat17 View Post
40 days and 40 nights....
just googled that, yes, it does seem that the number 40 is used to help emphasize times of trouble and hardship in the bible. FYI

day 17 here

My AH is a mess. Im trying to better myself and give his drinking no attention. His problems are not mine. It is very difficult. When I look back, its been no bed of roses for several years, I just drowned myself in a bottle of gin every once in awhile to numb myself. He is ready to pack me up "if I don't get better." Oh well, "what will be, will be"

enjoying day 17, in the back yard, listening to pandora and going to start working in the garden. We maybe selling this place soon...
Old 04-10-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

@Chewy

You are rocking it friend!

I'm on day 16. Nothing of note. Three days left until my departure. I'll try to post everyday even after I leave. It will keep be accountable in what will be a trying time.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:00 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hi, all. I just wanted to say, slipping up does not have to be part of the process.

Slips are part of addiction, not part of recovery.

I know everyone wants pats on the back for getting back on the wagon, but every time the withdrawals are worse and more dangerous. Not everyone has another withdrawal in them. Recovery can be a one-off. I stopped on March 5, 2014. I logged onto this site after pleading with God to help me.

I haven't had a drink since.

Google "kindling effect". It is the phenomenon that makes each subsequent withdrawal harder and physically more dangerous.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

@Bimini

Of course it doesn't have to. The point of the pats on the back (or rather I'd call them: supportive statements) is, I think, to remind people that they can look at relapse as a part of recovery. If I didn't think that way, then any relapse I had I'd just say eff it I failed, back to the drink.

But I take your point. It would be ideal not to have a slip, and we all wish that for ourselves and others. And being 100% firm in commitment is important.

I guess my philosophy would be: don't expect a slip, but if one happens, get up and keep on trucking.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi all. Day 19 all sewn up. I went for a massage today...it was SO relaxing. I'm in a good space, and hubby is sober tonight too which is a bonus.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

kinzo - the point I am making is that relapse is NOT part of recovery, it's part of addiction. Allowing any reason to use is the essence of addiction.

We - all of us - have thousands of excuses to pick up. Daily. I battle the thoughts the same way any of you do. The problem is that by saying, "Oh, well," and giving in I break my commitment to myself, I set myself back and more importantly it could be fatal. One last drink becomes ten, I get in the car and kill a family coming home from dinner.

The "kindling effect" is a real and dangerous enemy. Did you look it up? People die from seizures, heart attacks, suffocation, drowning, all kinds of ways. Relapse is not - should not be - an option. This isn't just not partying on Friday night: it's life and death. If you go to a few AA meetings you will hear the tragedy played out over and over.

100% firm in commitment is the only way to achieve sobriety. Full stop. Slips don't "Happen." We buy it, pick it up in our own hand and pour it into our own mouth. No one else, and no outside event is to blame. It is an inside job.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:50 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Court jester

IMO, I do not think Kinzo was trying to condone using the relapse potential that we all have as an excuse to just go ahead and drink. "Oh well, many people relapse so I guess it is OK for me" is certainly the self talk of an alcoholic that has yet to surrender to the idea that he cannot ever take another drink, and he is using that as an excuse. You could not be more right about that!

However, in an addiction with a very low success rate, relapses are going to happen. It happened to me after 23 years of sobriety. If, like me, they are lucky enough to make it back to the rooms or these forums, then they could probably use a good dose of experience, strength, hope and support from those of us who are sober. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

bmac, I also had 18 years of sobriety when I picked up again.

Would I give my left arm for having had a stronger belief? Yes. I was not convinced I could not moderate. I am convinced now. The couple years of alcoholic drinking again was soul-destroying. Any way to avoid that is worth talking about. It was 100% my fault. But only because I gave it an "in."

The problem is that hearing everyone say, "relapse is part of recovery," is a lie.

It only is part of addiction.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Court jester

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
"

The problem is that hearing everyone say, "relapse is part of recovery," is a lie.

Totally agree. Relapse is not a part of my recovery. I think it would be better worded to say, "Relapse was part of my spiritual journey in this life". For me it was a necessary part of my journey since I believe that everything in my life, good experiences and not so good ones, happen for a reason and that reason is to propel me to a higher level of spirituality and/or to move me closer to recognizing my true purpose here. Having said that, I would not say to myself, "I think I'll get hammered since I know it is part of my journey". That is akin to using my philosophy about life as an excuse to drink. No thank you.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Do you also acknowledge that you very well could have died in that relapse? Because that, for me, was the place of darkness that the second round of alcoholism took me to.

I no longer wanted to live. I was killing myself slowly, and was resigned to do so. Some of these people on this site will die from alcoholism or related tragedy. I've seen lots of people die this way in my life.

I'm not willing to sugar-coat the seriousness of a relapse. YMMV.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Court jester

I'm not willing to sugar-coat the seriousness of a relapse. YMMV.
Not sure if this is simply a statement or if the YMMV addition is a judgment on me that you feel I sugar coat relapse.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Relapse is no joke. I don't think there is anyone here who would underestimate the seriousness of it. It definitely isn't a part of recovery IMHO

I also think that it is possible to learn from it and to come through even stronger. When I relapsed and finally came to my senses about it, I felt a real sense of loss over the sober time I'd thrown away and there was a part of me that felt 'F it...it's not worth starting over'. I had to fight that.

I would urge anyone who relapses to get straight back on the wagon and to fight all those whispers that tell you it's over. Sometimes it's just a new and stronger beginning, and one that can benefit others if you share your success.

Relapse is serious but we can overcome it. Don't ever think we can't x
Old 04-10-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

bmac, I also had 18 years of sobriety when I picked up again.

Would I give my left arm for having had a stronger belief? Yes. I was not convinced I could not moderate. I am convinced now. The couple years of alcoholic drinking again was soul-destroying. Any way to avoid that is worth talking about. It was 100% my fault. But only because I gave it an "in."

I believe bimini that you are referencing a post that I made earlier. I never said that relapse was a part of recovery. As a matter of fact I said that "addiction is cyclic in nature." I was referring to the fact that while addicted, a person can start the process of sobering up multiple times before they really start living a new life. I understand your standpoint on this issue and realize that you are 100% correct about the severity of relapse. However, I think you are missing the fact that this is a support group, not a boot camp. Perhaps try a little less vehemence when getting your point across?
Old 04-10-2015, 01:58 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
One day at a time.

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Relapse is no joke. I don't think there is anyone here who would underestimate the seriousness of it. It definitely isn't a part of recovery IMHO

I also think that it is possible to learn from it and to come through even stronger. When I relapsed and finally came to my senses about it, I felt a real sense of loss over the sober time I'd thrown away and there was a part of me that felt 'F it...it's not worth starting over'. I had to fight that.

I would urge anyone who relapses to get straight back on the wagon and to fight all those whispers that tell you it's over. Sometimes it's just a new and stronger beginning, and one that can benefit others if you share your success.

Relapse is serious but we can overcome it. Don't ever think we can't x
This is the point I was getting at with my previous posts. That although by relapsing, it means we haven't begun recovery, it doesn't mean that we can't achieve it. I get the sense that bimini has perhaps suffered some losses in this way. But I don't believe that belittling people is the best way to encourage them.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Administrator

'relapse is a part of recovery' is something we hear a lot.
It's not something that originated in this thread

I always take the time to explain that relapse is part of my disease, not my recovery, because my job is to share my experience and that was a pretty important revelation

...and I think there's a place for both straight talking and hugs

we're all on the same side - let's get back to it

D
Old 04-10-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Wow I missed a lot while I slept
Just wanted to say if I felt I was going to be beat up over my relapse I don't think would have made it back, it's primarily because I knew my friends here and in aa would support me and help me give it another (final) shot that I came back after only a few days drinking this last time,
it has normally been months but I knew I had people to help me through this time and that relapse didn't mean failure for good,
I agree relapse isn't part of recovery and that's not helpful thinking, but berating people over their mistakes is not going to help either

In other news, I just took my dog to the dog park and it's so fun watching him play with all the other (much smaller!!) doggies. Sunny here today so off to buy some more plants AV was strong last night but I feel better today, and glad you're all here
Old 04-10-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Reading through these posts before bed tonight. Instead of counting sheep, I'm going to think long about all your words, and I'll also think about intention. The intention to wake up tomorrow and live a sober day. The intention to add on another, day after day after day. One day at a time, hell one minute at a time, we make our lives anew.

Friends, we can do this.

And thanks secretary, Djinn, bobcat, and immri for your thoughts on my social isolation and meeting an old (drinking) pal issue. Next time I see her, I'm going to try to muster up the guts to tell her my new life choice. Might be a little easier than I thought it would be as I'm now on new a med for pain... though, I know, using that line, I'm hiding the truth of the matter. Gah! Why is it so hard to be 100% truthful (outside of SR)???
Old 04-10-2015, 07:04 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Oh need, I send hugs your way. Over the past few years, I've had many Day Ones because of this kind of scenario. Promising myself I wouldn't drink, but soon as I'm with particular company, or after, I succumbed. It's hard to stick to our guns. But we can, right? We can. And we'll feel so much better to get a day or night like that behind us, make sober choices, and wake up without the remorse. xo

(night, all)

Originally Posted by needtostopthis View Post
Speaking off heavy drinking friends. One of my good friends (who also happens to be my niece) just had a baby and I went over to see the baby yesterday. He is 5 weeks old. My niece was a pretty heavy drinker before she got pregnant and she kept bringing up drinking yesterday. She kept saying she could not wait to be done breastfeeding because she wants to just get drunk. Then she said " we have to hang out soon and get drunk together and sing and dance like we used too" I nodded in agreement but told her that my therapist says I shouldn't drink. The therapist I see is the same one she saw years ago when she was really depressed. So she said oh he said that to me too but I had to tell him that I knew I wasn't going to quit and that I didn't want to focus on that. She was saying I should tell him that. It was kind of uncomfortable because I wanted to say to her, that I also knew I needed to get sober and its not just my therapist who thinks I have a problem. But I felt weird. She kept talking about how fun drinking is and how she has so much fun and yadda yadda. I actually started believing what she was saying because I USED to have fun too, but I am way past that point of having fun anymore. Anyway what happened was I got home and went staight to the bottle and got wasted. I was looking for that nostalgia I guess, looking for the good ole days. So here I am AGAIN on day friggin 1. I pleaded to god to help me today, I have never asked god for help with this but I felt so bad I just broke down. I am not even very religious. So sorry for this long post, but I had to get it out.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:08 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

AV not too strong today, she did make an appearance a few times. I gave Moe a bath today, Moe is a little dog I found wandering the streets back in January during the first month of my recovery period prior to this one. I relapsed for a night, (one stiff drink) and then, started sobriety all over again. Didn't go through any withdrawals.
I would send a pic of Moe but don't know how to. I try again.