Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 17

Old 04-01-2015, 04:51 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind words Ultramarathoner.

I will stick around - part of my plan is to post here daily no matter what.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 months 1stepup!

I already feel better since posting - went for a 10-mile walk in the sun My hope has been restored.

Today I am grateful for:
a fresh start
healthy and happy children
a sunny day
long walks to the lake
dancing
skinny cow ice cream sandwiches
great reads
bubble baths
netflix

Thanks TeamAugust!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

((((((((Grateful))))))))))
We are all here because it's a struggle. I know how easy it is to try to make that ugly, victimized feeling go away with alcohol. You are loved and it's gonna be ok.

Almost all of the personal work I've done didn't feel very good at the time, but I find that my relapses do not involve alcohol. That work created a huge buffer.
You are still doing great and I hope to see you every day!!
Old 04-01-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Grateful, do not fret over this.

This seems like a fragmented journey for all of us, not just since we joined this team, but for years and years of sober and not so sober periods. Funny, I was just looking at photos from two years ago. I distinctly remember being on a sober period at the time it was taken around halloween. Then, a few pages in the book later, I was drinking heavily, one particularly bad photo of me in a blackout. This happened many, many times over the past few years. But, like you are doing, I kept trying.

Keep coming back. There is no doubt you will beat this because you know, and know for certain, the thought of drinking is far better than it actually is. You want what you had a week ago. That says it all. You got this. So smile, chin up, and laugh at what a lie the AV is.

Eyes off the rear view mirror, look forward.

Love.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:43 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Do your best

(((Grateful)))
Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good morning all

Hi Grateful. So good to see you and I am happy you posted. Sorry to hear about the things going on. You c an do this! Baby steps and make a plan, which it sounds like you already doing. This thing takes courage and you have it in bucket loads! Top drawer gratitude list :-)

So a quick check in. On my way to work. A million and one things to do before the Easter break but I shall achieve what I can and then take the next few days to relax. Going to visit the family for a couple of days - I will check in on my journey there later

Have a nice Thursday everyone
Old 04-02-2015, 12:09 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back Grateful

D
Old 04-02-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

One more alarm slap and it will be Friday babies!

I will be going on vacation in about a week. Have been obsessing a bit, kinda feel like I have had small mental relapses. I hope the wi fi works when I am away because I think I will need you guys! Not sure why I have been fighting this in my head so badly, like I really miss the "party guy" and like I deserve to let loose, life is short, blah blah blah. Funny, I wonder if it is related to some of my personality gradually coming back now, which is naturally fun and a little nuts. Took a while to see this. Is there an association deep in my head that drink goes with it? Anyway, gotta run. This vacation in the sun is working me up. I will get past it. Thanks for listening kids.

"It is all really simple, you don't have to choose between being kind to yourself and others. It's one and the same." Piero Ferrucci.

Onward.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good morning,

Grateful, I hope you are feeling better today. Your post took courage, and I am happy it helped you.

Determined, I'll bet you can have a great time without drinking. You can still be funny and a bit nutty....and, you won't have to worry your way through a hangover wondering if you went too far, if you remember everything you did, etc. etc.

Hello to everyone else. I am going to the Y, then I am going to Boston to an art museum.

Let's keep on keeping on.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Determined you 'deserve' to be working in tandem with the Universe and you've shown the strength and tenacity to do so. Keep it up!
Old 04-02-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

1step, congrats on the 2 months mark. that's a real good feeling milestone.

bbf, welcome back and by all means keep posting. it's really good to have original members of team A sticking around. we all lean on each other and the more shoulders the better.

greatful, it's fantastic that you bounced back so fast. you got this.

determined, i feel ya man. i'm doing a 600 mile bike trip over the long weekend. the long miles are no problem - sun, wind, and sound of the pipes are pure joy - no need to jack it up with hootch. but the weekend with my cousin has always involved a fun Sat ride with 3 roadhouses along the way. i know i can handle 3 cokes instead of 3 beers no problem, it's just that heavy drinking has always been such a big part of this trip. it's messing with my head a little. but i figure if nothing else - the joy and comfort of being hangover free each morning is ample motivation to remain sober. them demons don't give up easy though.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Grateful so good to see you xxx real proud of you for coming back. Keep going, one day at a time, so very good to see you!

London, the marrow chips were crap. Marrow is crap. I will buy no more marrow! I am going to try celeriac this weekend!

Ultra, 1000 marathons in as many days? Hardcore! Very interesting!

Determined, will watch the YouTube clip, thank you.

I have chronic toothache again. Started 1 jour ago when eating a nectarine. That's easter ruined then. Back on the pain killers. Grrrrrrrrr.
No news here, just plodding through day by day. Should be moving house on the 17th now, has been delayed another week.
Watching an interesting documentary on blood so that's keeping me occupied tonight.
See, no interesting news here!

Hope you all have a lovely easter my friends.

Blackbird, how you doing.? Xx thinking of you xx
Old 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope your toothache goes away soon Pinklinzangel
Old 04-02-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Thanks Choobie!

Thank you for saying I am loved. I do need to keep working on some underlying issues. Thanks for the encouragement and consistent inspiration.

Originally Posted by Choobie View Post
((((((((Grateful))))))))))
We are all here because it's a struggle. I know how easy it is to try to make that ugly, victimized feeling go away with alcohol. You are loved and it's gonna be ok.

Almost all of the personal work I've done didn't feel very good at the time, but I find that my relapses do not involve alcohol. That work created a huge buffer.
You are still doing great and I hope to see you every day!!
Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Thank you Determined - this helps me to put it into perspective. I have been on the road to recovery for four years now, can never make it to a year but have had a couple nice runs of several months. I really do want this to become just a regular lifestyle. I will keep trying.

It was not at all worth it. I have enjoyed these last few days with my son - so grateful that I am fully present with him. Also grateful I am still alive so I can welcome my daughter back home from her vacation with no worries.

Please remember my story when you hear the AV on your sunny vacation.

Thank you for all of your quotes and positive, inspirational posts.

Love.

Originally Posted by determined99 View Post
Grateful, do not fret over this.

This seems like a fragmented journey for all of us, not just since we joined this team, but for years and years of sober and not so sober periods. Funny, I was just looking at photos from two years ago. I distinctly remember being on a sober period at the time it was taken around halloween. Then, a few pages in the book later, I was drinking heavily, one particularly bad photo of me in a blackout. This happened many, many times over the past few years. But, like you are doing, I kept trying.

Keep coming back. There is no doubt you will beat this because you know, and know for certain, the thought of drinking is far better than it actually is. You want what you had a week ago. That says it all. You got this. So smile, chin up, and laugh at what a lie the AV is.

Eyes off the rear view mirror, look forward.

Love.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Thanks sthlondonab!

Thanks for the love. I am working on the plan, still do not feel like it is good enough. Any suggestions? You are doing so well, is it AA, SR, combo, the steps? Thanks for believing in me.

I am striving for top drawer sobriety.

Originally Posted by sthlondonab View Post
Hi Grateful. So good to see you and I am happy you posted. Sorry to hear about the things going on. You c an do this! Baby steps and make a plan, which it sounds like you already doing. This thing takes courage and you have it in bucket loads! Top drawer gratitude list :-)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Hey grateful! I am so glad to see you. You have lots of love here! You're top drawer already.

The only thing I can say is that I still put work into recovery every day.

SR daily as a bare minimum but AA principles really helps on the tough days - I can get to a meeting or call one of the guys. I still do lots of reading on recovery topics as well. Exercise is also great and clears my mind and also gives me valid reasons to aviod the pub trips etc. You can do this!!

But it's not all revovery work and I get on with life and enjoy too :-)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Hey guys

Hoping you are all doing OK. It's Good Friday. I guess a significant day for some and for others a holiday and time to relax. I am in the latter camp, not being so religious really, but whatever the day means to you have a great one

So for me this Easter is reflection as one year ago was a terrible drinking incident for me.

Drinking all day on Thursday, starting with work drinks and then drinking alone, I passed out in the street in central London and was scooped into an ambulance to be monitored. Worst is I only remembered this on Good Friday when I found an EGC report in my jacket pocket having somehow got home later. Then I went out on Good Friday and got drunk....

My daily top up drinking started at Easter last year and things moved from afternoon / nightly binges to constant secret sips in the day. It still took a few more months before I got help and came to SR first.

I needed to write that down....

But this year. Wow. I left work around 4pm, came North , no travel drinking and spend the early evening playing lego with my niece and nephew, handing over their Easter eggs and catching up with family. Had a nice meal. Today I am awake at 6.30 and it give it ten minutes before I get a knock on the door shouting "leggggoooooo"

This is why I love recovery and will not drink today!

Have a great day all.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:46 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Hey Pink.

I was far too polite to tell you that marrow is indeed crap! Ha ha. Celeriac is a much better option. Celeriac chips would be yum! And celeriac soup is AMAZEBALLS. Good luck with your creations.

I am sorry about your tooth. Feel better soon! It will all get resolved, I know it.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Determined mate. I get you on yesterday's post. I am having the same thing recently. Vacations coming soon, friends nights out etc. and still the little voice will say "forever? you are missing out" your post also resonated with me on the personality thing too.

Keep going friend. You know what? Sometimes I listen to AV and laugh at him nowadays. Nice try a-hole! No, I am not missing out and I am having a wonderful sober time with no regrets. So Foxtrot Oscar AV.