# 341 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations WhoDey

I feel the same about this place DD

hope everyone has a nice weekend

D
Old 10-28-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 342 (permalink)  

Congratulations WhoDey. You, and others in your class, have been an inspiration to me over this past year. Blessings to you in year three. Mark
Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Thanks for dropping by Mark!

I enjoy visiting the Class of 2014 thread. So much encouragement and support!

Congratulations to you on reaching one year! The first year is a remarkable journey and you should feel proud of your achievement. Some might think that simply "not drinking" is less than remarkable, but we know well how much inner work goes into simply "not drinking". Well done, Mark.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Cindy ... I bet you're still sleeping after staying up late celebrating the Royals' World Series victory! Well done and well deserved. Enjoy!
Old 11-02-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 345 (permalink)  

OMG!! What an exciting win and an exciting team! Schools are closed tomorrow for the parade and I am sure there will be very few people here in the office. I am planning to take the kids down to see it - trying to figure out logistics now. All public transportation is free tomorrow so that might make the most sense. Parking will be a nightmare.

Hope you all are well! Cool to see some new "faces" around here!
Old 11-03-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

I am so happy for you all, Cindy! Sounds like the World Series Championship couldn't happen to a better city!! Dee, it is good to have you back!!
Old 11-03-2015, 01:14 PM
  # 347 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks DD - good to be back

D
Old 11-10-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 348 (permalink)  

Hi, all. I am doing well. I have been really focusing on my codependent habits lately. That has caused me some anxiety, but also some real breakthroughs and a level of acceptance in certain parts of my life that I didn't realize how good acceptance could feel until now.

I think alcohol has finally lost all of its last bit of "glamour" for me that I had held on to for a long time. Something has come over me that makes alcohol completely distasteful and unappealing to me. It feels final and settled. I hope it stays that way.

Sending good juju to my dear Tober internet friends ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 11-13-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Sounds good, DD. Great to hear that alcohol is losing it's glamour for you.

It's weird, but the one area where alcohol still has "glamour" for me is the idea of one day sharing a beer with my son (he's 14 now). The other day, someone mentioned in passing sharing a beer with his dad and son. I was a tad sad that I wouldn't be able to have that experience with my son. Is that a guy thing?

I used to have the same type of thought about sharing drinks with my friends, but that has passed as I've been in situations where me having a soda was just fine. I suspect the same will be true regarding drinking with my son, but since it's still off a ways in time, I'll have to wait.

I hope everyone is doing well.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Administrator

I haven't got a son, but my dad seemed to like it when I drank with him and I hear it a lot WD so maybe it is.

I think there's more things of value to share than that, personally - I wish me and my old man has a deeper relationship but we just don't connect that way

D.
Old 11-17-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

You know, Whodey, from my early teens on, I drank with my parents. In fact, it was often encouraged. As a mother of three teenagers, I find myself disgusted with this fact now. My eldest is almost 20 and while I know that he has drank alcohol and probably still does, I, in no way, feel comfortable promoting this. It feels entirely unnatural to me to encourage him to hurt his body and mind with that crap. When he turns 21, I guess my husband might share a beer or two with him, but I am not sure that is something that my husband is pining away to do. We are both adult children of alcoholics, so I am sure that our perspective is skewed, but we both wish that we had grown up with a perspective that alcohol isn't such a "big" thing.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

In case anyone drops in, have a fabulous Thanksgiving holiday!

I've always loved Thanksgiving ... after all, with lots of food and football, what's not to love?! Being sober, however, adds another dimension to my thankfulness.

Peace.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy thanksgiving WhoDey
Old 11-25-2015, 01:06 PM
  # 354 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

D
Old 11-26-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving, Tobers and Dee and Soberwolf! You all have made a major difference in my life and I am forever grateful for you. xo
Old 11-28-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

My husband and I were in a sports store today and there was an overwhelming amount of things to buy and do just in that one store. I was watching a GoPro video and the exciting things that people were doing on the video: skiing, playing in a band, flying, motorcycling, rapelling, kayaking, etc. was just exhilarating to watch. Not one bit of the video showed people drinking and getting wasted. My husband was off this past week and although it was a staycation we fished, shopped, attended our garden, walked our dog, went out to eat, did yoga, biked, did one of those Great Escape rooms with our kids and their friends, cooked the big Thanksgiving meal, etc. Life is so full and joyful. We slept well, laughed, watched football, etc. etc. The more and more distant I get from the drinking life, the more I realize what a huge waste of time and energy alcohol really is, in reality. My husband and I marveled about the fact that in previous years, so much of this time would have been spent on us drinking. And when we were drinking, it was like we were both in our own little worlds, not really with each other or a family in a full way.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds fantastic DD - I'm really glad for you

D
Old 11-30-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Sounds like you had a great holiday, DD. I liked reading about your adventures!

Being "fully present" is not something I was guilty of while drinking. And a GoPro video of me drinking would have been less than exciting!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 359 (permalink)  

Hi guys - I am sorry I missed telling you all a Happy Thanksgiving! I had a nice, relaxing day with my sister, AA Guy and all our kids (7 total). So many things have changed in the past month. My head has not yet stopped spinning. A few weeks back my oldest daughter moved out of her dad's house and in with a friend (actually right after her 18th birthday on Nov. 9th). I reached out to her expecting her to be angry and defensive but instead she was willing to talk. We have covered so much ground in the last month. She is back living with me and I couldn't be happier. Sobriety and the Program of AA has given me the ability to forgive and be open when opportunities like this present themselves. My resentful, angry drinking self might have said no to her. Your decision to leave, you deal with it. Instead I can accept her for who she is and that, like me, she is human. We go down paths sometimes for years because we think it is "right." I am so glad we reconnected without wasting any more time.

My ex is being so strange. He was unhappy with the kids and his anger towards them has caused several instances of them being with me on his days. A couple of days ago he told the little kids that he is "taking a break" and to stay with me through the holidays. Of course they are hurt and feeling rejected. I don't understand how a grown man can be so selfish. He is not new to this parenting thing...

Anyway, I digress. All three of my children are home and I couldn't be happier.

I hope all of you are doing well. I think about you all regularly. Sorry for not checking in more!

XOXO
Old 12-10-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats really appalling behaviour IMO, C, but I'm glad the kids have you

D