Notices

Class of October 2013 - Part 14

Old 10-08-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Cindy ... Happy anniversary today! Tremendous accomplishment. You've been through a lot of changes and should be proud of yourself. Treat yourself to a baseball playoff game tonight.

If you remember me posting about this, my wife and I have been caregivers for an elderly couple the last couple of years. They had zero family and had asked us to help. The gentleman passed away in March and his wife passed away Sunday. She was extremely weak and it was a blessing that when the time came she passed relatively quickly and without pain. We have her funeral late this afternoon. We have a few odds and ends to take care of, but a bank is the executor so that takes a huge responsibility off my shoulders.

All of us should be proud of our sobriety and the positive changes we have made in our lives. What a gift to ourselves and our loved ones. We're not perfect, but we're headed in the right direction.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats from me too Cyndi

D
Old 10-08-2015, 02:25 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Yay, Cindy!! So proud of you!! Congratulations on two years sober!! Please tell us how your AA talk went.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Whodey, I am happy that you have reached a peaceful place of closure with the loss of your friends. They were blessed to have you in their lives.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Thanks DD. Last night's service went well. It was so nice to see many of her old time friends. She had a good life. [Interesting note: she was a stewardess for United and had to quit when she got married as stewardesses weren't allowed to be married!]

Keep on truckin' Tobers!
Old 10-12-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Hi guys! It's been a long time since I've been here, but you've all been in my thoughts. I'm about to hit my 2-year sober anniversary on Wednesday. Two years ago tomorrow, I was celebrating my friend's accomplishment of running her first marathon. I drank and drank and drank at the after-parties, totally out of control. The next day, I decided that I had to be done with drinking. You guys all helped me work hard to stay sober, and it was definitely not easy in the beginning. It has gotten easier over time, though. I surrounded myself with supportive people, my husband jumped on board (and has quit drinking, by his own choice), and I slowly turned my life around. In February, I started training for a marathon. I had never run over 5 miles before this. Yesterday, nearly two years after I began what I see as my new life, I completed my own first marathon. (Woohoo!!) I would never have been able to stick with the training if I had been drinking. My heart is so full of gratitude today because of all the help I've gotten along the way, and I wanted to stop by over here to let you know that you really were a big part of it, even though I've been MIA for a while. (Turns out, training for a marathon takes A LOT of time and energy--who knew, haha.)

Congratulations to everyone who is hitting their sober anniversary!
Old 10-12-2015, 11:45 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

It is so good to hear from you, Little Sparrow!! We missed you. Congratulations on all fronts!!! It is amazing to see the potential that we all have when we take drinking alcohol out of the mix. I hit my two year sobriety mark, as well. Yesterday, I hiked 7 miles in beautiful wilderness. It is so nice to not spend Sundays hungover anymore. Thanks for checking in with your wonderful news!!! xo
Old 10-12-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear from you and congratulations LS
Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Great to hear from you LS! Congratulations on completing your first marathon. I know full well how demanding the training can be. You should be very proud of your achievement.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm taking tomorrow off to go hiking with my son while my wife and daughter go visit a college (daughter is a HS junior). Looking forward to having some time away from responsibilities for a short time.

We have a new bed being delivered this afternoon. When did beds get so expensive? I think it only appropriate to sleep in late the next few mornings.

Carry on!
Old 10-15-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Enjoy your day off, Whodey and your new bed! The expense is worth the wonderful nights of sleep that you are going to have in the future!!
Old 10-15-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I have a new friend who I have really hit it off with. I have known her for a few years as an acquaintance but both of our sons are on the high school's JV basketball team and we are both big volunteers on the basketball booster club, so we have gotten to know each other better. We both grew up in the same city, each have four kids, our daughters play on the same volleyball team and we both have outgoing personalities. So, she was having a booster meeting at her house last night. (a Wednesday school night at 8 pm) So I saw she and her husband earlier that day and her husband made reference to having to lock up the liquor cabinet for the meeting and my friend said that she had bought wine and cookies. My stomach filled with dread. I like these people a lot and I want to make better friends here where I live now. I know that, as a drinker, I was suspicious on non-drinkers and found them "dull." I know that these are my hang-ups because my husband went to the meeting as well, and thought nothing of not planning to drink. Well, ironically, the only person who drank wine was my friend. Everyone else had water or iced tea. She said something like "Am I the only one who is going to drink wine??" Nobody said anything except insecure me who mumbled something about having to get up early the next morning. Guys, I hate that I am two years sober and still worry about what people think about me not drinking alcohol. I know that this kind of thinking just proves my problem with alcohol. I am not a "normie." Still, this hurdle is one that I am not quite over yet.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi guys - I didn't realize how long it has been since I checked in here. I am sorry, friends. Thank you for the pats on the back. I have had a tough couple of weeks. My grandma died last Saturday. I know she is breathing easy and at peace now but my heart is broken and I miss her so much.

My two year talk was a week later and it went okay. I was very nervous and having just lost my gran, felt very emotional. I made it through and am relieved it is over. Tomorrow is the day we had planned to move my grandma into my house and it will be really hard for me. I feel like I got robbed of that intimate time with her. My daughter's first tearful words were "but we were supposed to have the holidays together" - we were all very close to her.

I know that if I had not been sober over the last two years that I would not have been able to be of service to my grandma and I certainly wouldn't have appreciated the moments as I was in them. I have no regrets in that regard. I made the most of our time...just want more of it.

WD - thank you and hugs to you, friend. I do remember the couple from your posts. They are together again...glad to hear it was peaceful. You and the wife are good people!

DD - thank you! and I always love your posts. You remain so honest and forthcoming. I completely agree with you on the 'new friends and people that drink' post you made above. I still find myself skirting the issue when it comes up in conversation. I like to think it is because it is much easier to address it when I'm specifically asked but really, sometimes I am still worried about what they will think of me. Sigh.

LS - congrats on your 2 years and your marathon! Getting healthy and fit has been my outlet for stress, negative energy, anxiety, etc. since getting sober. I am always amazed at what I can accomplish now. I know that I can set a goal and achieve it if I just put forth the effort. I think I always gave up as a drinker because I couldn't keep that commitment so why keep any of them?? You rock - a marathon is no small accomplishment! Many high fives to you!

Thanks, Dee! Hope all is well with you too!

XOXO
Old 10-16-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

oops double post!
Old 10-16-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Cynderino.

D
Old 10-19-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Cindy ... I'm very sorry to learn of the passing of your grandma. It was evident from your posts how close you were to her. Losing someone like her is tough. I'm sure she loved you very much and cherished the time you spent together.

Peace.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Dear Cindy,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I read here once this quote:

The only consolation in missing someone is having known them.

Another one that I saw in an ice cream shop on vacation says this:

If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart and I will stay there forever. (Winnie the Pooh)

It is okay to cry and cry and cry. I did when my beloved grandmother died. Tears are God's release valve.

xo
Old 10-21-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Thanks, DD. I like both of those quotes and yes, crying helps too. Sigh...

Hope all is well with everyone XOXO
Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

I've had two years to think about it, so one might expect that I would have something awesome to say today. As it is, the only thing I can share ... and, in truth, it is pretty awesome ... is that I'm two years sober today.

There was some recent conversation about having difficulty letting people know in social situations that we don't drink. I can honestly say that isn't an issue for me. It might be because I forced myself to be upfront and honest about my situation from Day 1. I never made up excuses for not drinking, although I fully understand why someone might feel the need to do so. Whatever it takes to remain sober is what a person needs to do.

I feel good when I tell people I don't drink. I'm proud of it. I am so much healthier ... physically, mentally, and spiritually ... now than I was two years ago.

That's it. Two years today. I will let my wife know at dinner that today's a big day ... an anniversary I didn't miss!

All of you have a special place in my heart as I wouldn't be sober if not for your support the last two years. When I felt alone, you let me know that I wasn't. When I felt weak, you reminded me that we were strong. You showed me grace at every turn.

I learned yesterday that someone in my work place lost a son to a heroin overdose last week. 34 years old. Married. Four kids.

I know life isn't perfect Tobers, but never forget the wilderness through which we wandered.

Have a great day.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:04 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Whodey!!! Right backatcha with all of your nice words and thanks. Honestly, there is no one is my life who actually "gets it", like you all do. Everyone of my friends and family are either normal drinkers or active alcoholics. No one around me knows what recovery takes! You sound wonderful and solid, Whodey. I was in Target today looking at all of the wine they were selling everywhere and it actually turned my stomach. I thought of all of the weekend days that I felt so bad and hungover and I can't believe how long I willingly did that to myself. You are so right, never forget the wilderness!!