Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 39

Old 03-17-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Venus: Thank you for the update... you are in my thoughts and prayers on a daily basis.

Thank you all for your kind words.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Marcher13: Thank you so much for sharing the link to Trachy's posts.
What struck me was the underlying theme of how much insanity the disease of addiction causes. And, that the insanity takes many different forms.
Reading the posts there gave me the courage to address my own form of insanity.

I was almost ashamed to post about my 5 months. As you all know, I don't consider alcohol a problem, since it is not my drug of choice. I almost felt like a fake, because putting down the bottle was easy. And, I as of yet, have not had any severe consequences from drinking. Almost... until, sitting here getting my car repaired, which is causing a different form of insanity today, I read all the posts on Trachy's thread. I was speechless for a long time. I realized how insane I was when I did drink... I was chasing the feeling I got from pain pills, and, God forbid, I was able to replicate that feeling, then what? I would cross over the line to full blown alcoholism. Is that what I really want in my life????
I am sure that if I were not back on SR on a daily basis I would be drinking again, trying to capture a feeling that does not exist, or if it does, only leads to misery and heartbreak. My addiction lets me forget my reasoning for not drinking, which is why it is imperative that I read the posts here daily.

I took for granted I was given a gift... a gift of knowledge in that I could become cross addicted to alcohol at anytime and then it would not be so easy to put the bottle down.
In summary: addiction causes a form of insanity so incredibly insidious that it seems only another addict can spot it, name it, and offer a solution. And when others post about their experience, strength, and hope, it often helps me stay clean and sober for another day.

It brought to mind a post I read here on our Marchers 2013 thread not too long ago, it was by North, and I quote: “I would rather go through life sober believing I am an alcoholic than go through life drunk, convincing myself that I am not.”
I am so grateful to be sober today.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy st patricks guys
Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Happy St. Patricks day Marchers--
Congratulations 1 day
Trach---hang in there my friend--we are here for you.
Being Irish myself --you can bet I thought about green beer today--but, let me say this ! ! ! I just thought about it and then kicked it to the curb.
Have a great day everyone !!!
hugs to all of you
Babs
Old 03-17-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

1 day congrats on 5 months, you nailed it on the head, if I am addicted to one thing, I know how easy it could be to become addicted to something else.

Trach,

Hope today is better for you, been thinking of you all day. I hope the hangover isn't too bad, but enough to stick with you and remind you whenever you feel like picking up again.

Hope everyone is having a good day!
Old 03-17-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Babs, I am always so pleased to read your posts these days. Your head is really screwed on straight, and you seem very full of the joy of life, even in irritating situations. You've given me a real boost today. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

thank you Gilmer---you make my day too----I need a kick in the pants somedays and when I even think about a drink I just come here ---you guys tell me like it is.
Babs
Old 03-17-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I thought this might be a good time to share a few things.

Relapse prevention: in my outpatient addiction treatment program, we learned about the stages in the cycle of relapse and ways to deal with it. Most of us tend to feel that relapse happens "out of the blue" but there are usually plenty of signs that we are at risk if we know what the signs are. The earlier we intervene in the cycle, the more likely we are to be able to avoid relapse. When we do relapse, beating ourselves up doesn't accomplish much. Better to spend the energy doing things that will strengthen our recovery. If you google relapse prevention, there's plenty on that subject. Think of this as a chronic condition that requires regular attention rather than as a one-time event. If we catch it early, it is possible to keep a relapse to a quick slip instead of protracted misery.

I highly recommend "Pleasure Unwoven: an explanation of the brain disease of addiction" for $33.93 on DVD on a well-known on-line store.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thank you, Sass. That is very true and good to know.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oh, the hangover is bad. Throwing up bad. But, I'm sober. No booze in the house. Ye gods, that was stupid.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Old 03-17-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

th.jpgJust glad it's over!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good morning Marchers Poor Trachy, I thought of you when I woke up this morning, then I worked out the time where you are and wondered how you felt.

Sass that was interesting what you said about the cycle of relapse, probably it's especially helpful to think about now because what happened to Trachy could happen to anyone. Thanks for the tip on the DVD.

Babs a green light next to your name at SR is better than a green beer any time.

Have a good Tuednesday peeps.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

((((((Trachy)))))) drink lots of water, maybe some tea... Were thinking of you buddy.
So it probably does feel like a few of your circumstances changed, you "let your guard down" and drank. I can definitely understand the feeling that your car just drove itself to the liquor store. That certainly happened to me. Several times. But the fact of the matter is, having my guard "up" all the time is exhausting! So I don't think I of it that way anymore. In order to be free from obsession (and my car driving itself to the liquor store), I have a series of things I do to stay right I the head. Well as right in the head as a crazy nerd like me can stay...

I try to be honest with myself and the people around me. I try to stay spiritually fit. Personally, I had to give up the notion that I could control this addiction. I can't. So I gave it to "god." (No specific religion needed, I call mine the treehugger in the sky . I try to be a stand up person.

Every day I work on that, and it helps tremendously. An added bonus is I also feel better about myself as a human being. I'm not saying you aren't doing those things or that you have to, just that they helped me.

I think perhaps something needs to be different this time, so you don't ever have to be hung over again?
Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your bk Trachs
Old 03-17-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Good to see you post, Trachy.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Happy and relieved to have you back, Trachy!
Old 03-17-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will be better tomorrow Trach

D
Old 03-17-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Stuck at work for a while, there's an accident with fatalities 1 mile north of my work, I live 2 miles north, road is closed until the coroner gets here and he's 150 miles away.

Hope it's nobody I know.

This type of thing is a risk we take living on an island with only 1 road connecting them all!
Old 03-17-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Just got word, the roads are open, will still wait for about an hour the back up was over 8 miles.