Notices

Class of February 2015 Part 3

Old 04-06-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Thank you CalicoFish

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
I use my smartphone. It has a little app called S Memo and I made a reminder list - reasons to stay sober. I look at it when I get an urge. The following is my list:

High BP
Anxiety
Red nose and face
Bloat
Weight gain
Toe pain
Memory loss
Saying/texting stupid things
Hangovers
Shakes
Expensive
It will kill you.

I've been thinking of this all day. Thank you for the great idea! I need something to look at when I forget and this is the perfect solution.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Good morning. I hope everyone in our group is doing well this April morning. After three days of overdoing it on chocolate Easter bunnies, I'm feeling fat, which is not helping my overall gloomy mood. My pants are too tight, but I'm not changing them (yet) because I could obviously use some external influences in order to cut down. On Saturday I bought a cute sweatshirt without trying it on until I got home, it didn't fit, I got depressed and then noticed it was two sizes smaller than I usually get (rookie mistake, always check the size on the garment, don't rely on the hanger designation). So that, at least, was good. I gave it to my niece, she loves it, win-win (I got a nice text from her this morning, which I always love).

So I guess it's time to turtle on through. My husband and I use that expression since we saw a big turtle in the backyard (I live in a wooded area, lots of wildlife) just plowing his way through some branches rather than go around them. We were amused and decided that in some cases, turtles have the right idea. Just plow on through.

So enough random thoughts for folks this morning? Enough for me. Have a good day.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Ready, my weight fluctuates quite a bit. Never obese, but between overweight 190-220, OK 170-190 and where I need to be 155-170. I often obsess over it, and like alcohol, will hit my goal of 165 and then think "I've got this diet and exersize thing down," and then just like going back to drinking too much, I go back to eating too much and not exersizing.

I was in Indanapoilis all weekend and stayed sober, despite a few occasions where drinking would have been easy, especially on Monday as I was at a bar with a bunch of friends I hadn't seen in years before heading in to Lucas Oil Stadium to watch my beloved Blue Devils play in the championship game.

The Mets were on TV and winning and I could feel the adrenaline rush going. That's been a huge trap for me in the pat as feeling great and watching sports would lead me to drink. I was downing my club sodas and nobody knew any better. Then, an old friend showed up that works for Coors. Most of my friends were having bud lights at the time and my friend said that next round was on him, but had to be a coors product (Blue Moon). As they went around counting off how many to have, I thought "why not just have one?" After all, these were a lot of people I hadn't seen in years and didn't want to explain I wasn't drinking, or was on a diet (was chowing down wings and quesadillas), or antibiotics, so "why not just have one?" Well, I'm proud to say I just said "no thanks" and that was that. We toasted to a new beginning for the mets (1-0 baby!) and good luck that night for Duke and I held up my club soda and clanged glasses and took a nice refreshing swig.

Duke wound up winning. Wooooohoooo!!!!!! I won more than enough in my pool to cover my hospital and ambulance bill from Feb 18th, and actually my hospital bills from 2014 and 2013 as well. Some of my friends left to go celebrate the 5th Duke title at bars, but I stayed at the stadium, where they don't serve booze and watched Coach K and the team hoist the trophy, cut down the nets and then watch the cheesy, but emotional, One Shining Moment. I screamed my lungs out and nearly lost my voice. Was there a good 90 minutes after the game. Then, I went back to my hotel and got a fantastic night of sleep. Saw all my friends the next day as we headed back to New York and half were Al glassy eyed and hungover from celebrating. Again, I don't think any of them have alcohol problems, were just being 20-somethings and probably overdoing it on a real special occasion. They all made the flight back, haha. If I'd drank, not sure I would have made the flight since it was fairly early and if I'd blacked out, I could have slept through an alarm easily. At the airport, those of us who stayed for the trophy ceremony shared pics with those who went to the bar and had pics of them all flashing the number 1 sign with fellow Duke fans. All in all a GREAT experience and I enjoyed it 100% sober and don't feel that I missed out by not going with the 70% of the group that hit the bars. And not one friend said "hey nymets86, why were you so lame last night?" They didn't say it because nobody was paying attention to me. I'm not the center of their world. They were all happy for Duke, happy for Coach K getting his 5th title, this group of Freshmen their 1st title in what is likely their only season, and happy about being with friends in a different city celebrating a special occasion.

So, sorry for this long one, haha, but yeah, it was a very positive weekend/Monday in that regard. I also happened to notice my pants a little looser. I've been exerizing, but still not eating too healthy, so just having alcohol gone is helping. I'm going to start working on eating more healthy and dropping 20-30 pounds and keeping it off, but it's similarly challenging to quitting booze.

One more thing Ready. I'm right there with you on that depressing feeling when things don't fit. I hate, hate, hate going shopping for clothes because I gained weight. I saw a clip from Jim Gaffigan a few months ago that really struck a cord and like I think sometimes light hearted jokes about alcoholism help, this joke helped me. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NJYeTLo9WgI

Well, Day 49 for me. Really feeling some progress being made, but I know I need to stay vigilant.

Good morning Febbers!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Mets, I really enjoyed your post. Your description about the game and aftermath made me happy! I came out on the wrong end of this one but really, the game itself was fantastic, these kids can just flat out play. I would have stayed to the bitter end as well - I just love all that stuff. They would pan out to the crowd in that stadium and I simply could not believe how many people were there. And these are kids who are playing on that huge stage! I didn't see a single nerve among them.

And good going on the not drinking, that was a good test for you. Sounds like the mindset might be changing.

We're on the no booze journey together so far, maybe the diet/exercise is up next. I have to lose 20 lbs (more like 25 but I like to make it more manageable chunks) so time to get serious.

Oh and before I forget - Bartolo Colon is your 2015 ace? I saw he was starting opening day and had to click on him to see if it was the same guy. Talk about some longevity in the majors! Love baseball season!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Haha, Bartolo isn't our ace, our owners are just greedy and incompetent and want to save Matt Harvey for game 2 at home, since that's usually a day when attendance drops and they know they'll get a sellout with Harvey on the mound. Our 2nd best pitcher is deGrom and he's starting today and then game 1 at home.

No real rhyme or reason to the Mets. I just hope that they win a World Series in my lifetime (I was a baby when they last won in 1986 and don't remember any of it).

But yeah, alcohol and weight loss is a lot at once. They sort of go together, which is nice, but I think they need to be tackled in the appropriate order. Hard to get a good diet and exercise plan in place while actively drinking. I've done it, but the weight comes right back when the diet ends since I'm consuming so many liquid calories and eating like garbage when hungover
Old 04-08-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Well you might see it in your lifetime. We Red Sox fans thought we never would, talk about your droughts, but now it's been 3 in 10 years. I'm very hopeful for this season.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:05 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

What a day. I would like a drink. Instead I am having some dinner and going to bed. I hope everyone is well.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

End of week 8. Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Day 51. Had a company event tonight and I knew I would be in trouble if I stayed very long. I was just feeling weak I guess. So I left only a few minutes in saying I had other obligations. I know people think I'm anti social but I feel good that I knew I was better off not being there. The old me would care too much about what everyone else thought and would drink too much, regret it all, and have a hard time showing up at work tomorrow. So.. it's worth it. I'm glad I'm able to walk away. My health is more important.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Good job 60! You too Trees. I had a weak moment last night too, but it seems to have passed. I'm feeling much better today.

I just found out an acquaintance, who thought she had a lingering sinus infection, has been admitted to the hospital and they are going to take out a brain tumor today. Life is short and you never know what's coming next.

I'm awfully glad it's the weekend, that is for sure. Have a good one all.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone has a good weekend
prayers for your acquaintance Ready.

D
Old 04-10-2015, 05:33 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by ReadyOrNot123 View Post
Good job 60! You too Trees. I had a weak moment last night too, but it seems to have passed. I'm feeling much better today.

I just found out an acquaintance, who thought she had a lingering sinus infection, has been admitted to the hospital and they are going to take out a brain tumor today. Life is short and you never know what's coming next.

I'm awfully glad it's the weekend, that is for sure. Have a good one all.
That is the kind of news that scares me. I mean the best intention-ed most healthy people who take the up-most great care of themselves still can end up with something like this out of nowhere. I hope your acquaintance is going to be ok.

On the way home a case of the it's FRIDAY let's DRINK! overwhelmed me. My husband already moved his brother and friends from meeting at my house to his brother's because he knew the drinking would not rub me the right way. I got home a little early - only 15 minutes and I could tell he had a drink in his glass. When I say drink - I mean probably 1 drink, but the way he held his glass, the liquid disappeared (into the sink I'm sure) when I was in bathroom, the color, etc. I know. So he's gone now at his brothers.

I went searching and found a tiny bottle of vodka. I think he's been taking nips off it a few weekends in a row. (1 hour in my grubby hands, but awhile in his). So I put it back. Then said screw this, and I dumped it and threw the container in the recycle bin. When he gets home tonight hoping to have his prize while I'm asleep it won't be there. I'm tempted to dump or hide his Easter beers he was given (only 3, but that seems like I'm just being angry at this point).

Bah. I know I'm quitting for myself, but this stuff irritates me. I wonder if going sober is easier being single. I have no idea, I hear lots of singles saying it's hard being single and sober.

Meh. Well, bedtime in 2.5 hours and that's what I have to look forward too.

At least I'm sober.

Last edited by tornrealization; 04-10-2015 at 05:34 PM. Reason: I'm not going to dump his beers. This is my battle.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

60, great job staying sober at the company event. My guess is that people likely don't think you're antisocial. That's just your AV nagging you and trying to get you to rejoin the party. Sure, if you make a habit of bailing early at every work event over the next year, people might think you are antisocial, but early in sobriety, I think you made the right move and nobody will even notice when it happens just a few times. As you build up more sober time, hopefully it gets easier and easier to stay at work events where alcohol is. I have a lot of those come up given what I do for work and have had a few where I had to bail cuz I couldn't take it and didn't trust myself and a few where I hung around and socialized while sober.

Trees, 8 weeks is fantastic. Keep it up!

Ready, sorry to hear about your acquaintance, that's very scary. Hopefully it turns out OK. Have a nice weekend. Nice start for your Red Sox with that marathon win over the Yankees. My mets lost last night, but I had yet another fun time at the park with zero beers. Was nice sitting in my seat for all 9 innings without having to get up to use the bathroom and spending just $15 for dinner/sprite vs $50+ if I'd been buying stadium beers.

Torn, good job staying sober despite all that was going on.

I will say that yesterday I was dealing with some future cravings. These keep happening and are bugging me, but I know all I can do is stay sober now. Next weekend I have nothing planned and know a lot of my friends are out of town, so my brain kept saying, "you'll be at the two-month mark, so OK to just get hammered at home while alone." Similarly, two weekends from now I have a birthday party to go to and I kept thinking about the stress of coming up with an excuse not to drink and how it'll be easier to just drink. Further, one of my friend's whose wedding is coming up sent me an email to say congrats for winning a ton of money in that giant NCAA pool I was in (my friend was in it too and the guy running it emailed out the final standings to all 500+ people.) my friend said something like "first round at my wedding is on you. Go Duke!" Just made me think how hard it will be to not drink then.

Anyway, I'm sober now and need to stay sober. I'm going to have to start game planning for next weekend soon and then come up with a strategy for that birthday party. I think I'm getting myself too worked up over stuff that's not Imminent, but I guess that's just how it will be for me at this stage of sobriety (Day 52 now underway).
Old 04-11-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Torn, you're doing what you need to do - keep it up because it's working. But you are right, it's your battle - your husband sounds like he is doing what he can to help you by moving locations. I think anger and resentment is pretty normal for early sobriety. And it's hard single or married.

Mets, yes, the Sox went long last night, no way was I watching that late! I'm not planning on going to the ballpark until May, although I will be in the minor league park with my dad next weekend (he loves seeing the up and comers in general, and annually in the first weekend before they start getting called up). But I confess the cold weather puts me off a bit - last year I did get to Fenway in mid April and it was the first time I ever had hot chocolate at a baseball game!

I realize it's "live for today", but I think you're doing a good job in making future plans for times when you know your defenses may be down and you may be weak. If I can make a work analogy - two weeks ago I had two conference calls set up with my worst client - one a standing monthly where we go over open items, and the second one where we were going in depth on issues that had recently occurred. Two of the women on these calls are complete bitches, and nasty at that. Well I didn't really expect any fireworks in the first call, but I definitely did in the second. Well the first one exploded, and I reacted in anger, and it devolved quickly. The second one I had prepared for, expected, did a mantra in my head, etc. Well it was fine. As I explained to a coworker, when I am prepared, it's a 80/20 shot that I'll hold my tongue and keep it non-personal - when I am not prepared, there's zero chance. So while all the prepping in the world still provides a chance that things won't work out the way you want, it's better than not being prepared.

If you can't tell, I have issues with the lack of filters between brain and mouth, which makes it somewhat surprising that I have been in relationship management for most of my career. I tell myself that people respond to honesty (ha! well other than these two women at least!).

Anyway, that's my diatribe for the day. Here it is a really lovely day, shaping up to be high 60s. I went to the mailbox and saw that the last gasp of snow should be gone soon and a crocus us starting to bloom - only one but it's a start. I'm thrilled, because I can't take the gloom and cold anymore! I had hoped to see my niece play softball today but the game got rescheduled. Not sure what I will do but I am definitely getting outside.

Well done fellow Febbers. Enjoy the weekend whatever you are planning on doing.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Hello. It's been a good day. Last night was just a lot of anger and resentment, that's for sure. The hubby didn't even know about the bottle I found and dumped. I did see he had 1 of his beers but he woke up early and we did errands, walked and ate lunch. So he wasn't a mess of hangover and I wasn't (go being sober!).

Weather is nicer too. Have some homework to do this weekend. I have 3 more weeks of this class and 2 large papers. Then it's the final class which is going to be very hard work but it's the last class.

I forget what life is like without class at this point. Ha!
Old 04-11-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Just checking in, day 68 and feeling good. Still have a small amount of anxiety and only once in a while, but nothing like before. I can feel it coming, but am able to relax and let it subside quickly. I think the exercise and eating/making healthy food is helping with my mood plus it fills the time I would be spending drinking half a bottle of bourbon after work every day.

I'm proud of myself for losing some weight and am excited how my priorities are changing. I'm going to church on Sunday's with my wife when before I would stay home, let her go by herself, and drink and watch movies because I told her it was my day off and I needed it to relax.

I'm looking forward to warm weather for camping and hikes and I'm grateful to God for this second chance of life. Let's stay strong. Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Good morning soberseedling, good to hear you're doing well. Anxiety is the pits. Coping with it is critical. Sounds like you are on the right path.

All is well this morning. I love the Masters so will be watching that today, in between season 4 of Game of Thrones which precedes the start of season 5 tonight. I never in a million years thought I would be so hooked on a series so full of violence. But I am, so can't wait for the new season. I'll get outside for a walk as soon as it gets a little warmer (they promised it would!). I'd love to get some motivation to spend some time on at least one of my hobbies, which I can do while watching golf at the very least, but I have had little interest lately so we'll have to see. Funny how hobbies can be absolute passions at one moment and generate zero interest at others.

No drinking in that description above, and I don't feel tempted today. I'm grateful.

Have a good sunny (where I am at least), spring, sober day all.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope your weekend has been nice everyone
Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

torn, glad to hear things are looking up for you. I'm also in school now and it's amazing how much more time I have to do my homework when I'm not actively drinking. I almost exclusively drank at night after work/class or weekend night (spending the following day hungover). Basically, drank in my free time. My anxiety over getting my HW done at time has kind of vanished since I have a lot more free time, even with all the traveling I've been doing.

soberseedling, fantastic job on 68 days, that's just outstanding. And great job on the weight loss too. That's a big goal for me right now and am just beginning to have a little success, though I realy overate last night since I was dealing with a massive alcohol craving.

Ready, the Masters today should be fun! I was just thinking about it and Sunday's are usually a hangover for me, so will be nice watching this with zero hangover. I really hope Spieth can hang on. Wouldn't be upset if Mickelson won, but he's getting older and I'd love to see a big rivalry develop between McIlroy and Spieth. I'd be fine with Justin Rose winning, but when in doubt, I root for the American and I'm hoping Spieth can dominate for years and win a bunch of majors (I also really like McIlroy, but gonna root for the red, white and blue if it's a battle between Spieth and McIlroy).

Happy Sunday everyone. Hopefully you all made it through the weekend sober and can look forward to a sober week ahead!
Old 04-13-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have a nice start to the week friends