Notices

Class of February 2015 Part 3

Old 03-21-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Dee might be the wisest person I've ever come across. Not kidding.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Do your best

il second that Readyornot
Old 03-21-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Happy sober Weekend!

I leave in two hours for the airport. Then it's 3 hours for the flight, 8 hour flights, 3 hours at airport waiting for all the other flights.

I'm doing homework on the plane. No internet so I printed out lots of research, I'm going to ditch it after our oral presentation as it is heavy. I didn't think of it at the time but I got a book from Jim Gaffigan (comedian I like) called Food a Love Story. I'm bringing it on my trip. I didn't want to bring my drinking or self help books - I have a roommate. I will be telling everyone I don't drink. What's so nice is it's strangers. No one to question - what happened? Why? I also get practice. I don't expect a lot of pressure to be honest. Our schedule is so jammed packed who as the time. I'd rather sleep those precious hours. SO I wonder what it will be like. He's a cake topper with arm around a hotdog. I'm sure it's a funny book, but I think of Drinking A Love Story. WIll it be satire or just the title? I still need to finish that book. Homework took over.

WHen I get back I imagine some of my time will free up from all this planning and homework and Drs before I go. I'll be 1 day away from 5 weeks. My record last year was about 6 weeks. I really don't know exact days. I think 45 is my curse? 2008 was 8 months I think. March-October (wedding month) - anyways getting to 2 months will be fantastic.

NyMets, I remember saying the same things on SR last year. What about this and that in the future? Never ever again? Then as now, Dee's advice to stay in the current resounds true. Today - we won't drink. WHo knows what tomorrow brings.

I absolutely believe it when people talk about sober muscles. Granted I had a horrific year with the weekend drinking and benders, when I try and get through things sober it gets easier. Muscle memory. Like getting back into herbal teas to combat sugar. I read posts from long timers who hardly think about the drink anymore. I just feel the more distance I go from it the more used to it I'll get. 2008 - I knew I was holding out for my wedding time. So there was some growth but not much. I was white knuckling it most of the time. I did take up running and lost a lot of weight and my skin looked radiant, but once October hit - I was drinking nightly again quickly and all those benefits gone quickly too.

Allrighty, 2 hours - we have free internet, so hopefully I can at least read if not post on here a few times while I'm on my crazy busy school trip.

Be sober my Febbies 2015.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Safe travels! Jim Gaffigan is great. I saw him a few months ago (while sober actually!)

Never read his books, but I'm sure they are good.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Torn, I follow Jim Gaffigan on Twitter, and like his humor.

Yesterday was a low key day after my niece left, I went to lunch with my husband, and just puttered, watched some basketball, and then caught up on some taped episodes of The Americans (love the show). I also got some new books (great bargains on some fairly recent books at one of those overstock type stores) that will go on the nightstand with the others - I am way behind on my reading.

Today I will be having dinner with a friend, the rest of the day will be chores and errands, getting ready for the coming work week.

Have a good, sober, Sunday all.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Sounds like a solid Sunday plan Ready. I'm going to be watching a lot of basketball and hopefully getting in a light workout and studying for my test on Tuesday night.

Still got a bit of a cold, so don't want to overdo a workout.

Really no desire to drink right now and feel comfortable about this upcoming Monday-Thursday. Don't know what's going on next weekend, but I'll have to start planning how to stay sober once I do know what's going to be happeneing.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hope all the Febbers had a nice weekend. This thread is awfully quiet, so a bit concerned we may have lost some people.

Overall was a good weekend for me. Had lots of opportunities to drink and didn't even let myself consider it as a legit option.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hi all, I too hope everyone had a good weekend, and are otherwise busy.

I had a great weekend. As I was driving home from work today I was thinking that 5 weeks ago I was a complete mess. So grateful that has passed. It will stay passed too, as long as I don't drink. Sounds so easy, but we all know it isn't. That said, I have had few cravings lately, and have been able to easily push them aside. My concern is that I won't be ready when a big one comes and I'm not expecting it. So I guess I will always expect it.

Mets, I'm glad you had a good weekend. Time with family and away from temptations. Not an option, that's a good way to think of it. You're doing really well!

Got to get some food in me right now. Have a good night all.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Ahoy hoy. Just popping in to say hi to my class mates.

I've changed my work roster now so my weekend is Tuesday and Wednesday. Might make things easier when everyone goes off to drink on Fridays. Also I get penalty rates on Saturday and Sunday

I've posted some of my writing to my blog section if anyone's interested as well. But you gotta read in order...

Stay well Febbies!
Old 03-24-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Ready/DD good to hear from you guys!

I struggled a lot yesterday afternoon/evening and am not feeling great this AM. Not at all tempted to drink right now, but this upcoming weekend, I just can't stop obsessing over what it would be like to drink. I just don't have much to do other than watch the NCAA tournament and my mind keeps wandering toward drinking to just alleviate the depression that started setting in yesterday afternoon. I had a real tough time getting anything done at work and then during class last night, I just stared at the professor the whole time, but my mind was elsewhere.

Not sure why I'm feeling this way, especially after the weekend was an overall positive where I managed to be social without any booze.

I think the depression is coming from the fact that I'm still single and feel like age 29, I need to find a life partner soon and think about having a family, which is something I desprately want. I feel like Im going to wind up alone. Financially, I'm ready to have a family as I've saved a lot of money, about 30% of my income each year, which I've invested in the stock market and managed excellent returns (nothin crazy, just in line with the S&P 500 since 2009, when I began investing.) On the outside, things look fine. I have a high paying job and am paying my way through grad school using profits from the stock market gains and my salary and still managing to save some. But alcoholism has taken a lot from me I think and I'm just really down in the dumps right now over this relationship issue as I see so many of my friends getting married (and my brother is about to get married).

In addition to thinking of drinking this Friday or Saturday, I cannot wrap my head around dating while 100% sober.

Well, today is day 35 and all I can do today is not drink today. I know that drinking this weekend will do me no good, so as the weekend approaches, I'll game plan how to get through it. I know I need to just ignore the dating issue now, but now that the embarassment/humiliation of my hospitalization about 5 weeks ago wears off, I,'m now fixating on how embarassing it is to have these weddings coming up where I'll be sober and single.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hi Mets, DD. DD I will check out your blog!

Mets, I get it, I do. You sound like you have your act really together, with the exception of that itty bitty alcoholism issue (hopefully my tone comes through, I certainly know it's not a small thing).

I got involved with my husband in my mid 30s, and honestly thought I never would find that person. I had been sober for a number of years by then, had sailed through my siblings/family members getting married, friends, etc. I was ok being by myself, and in fact "stuck in my ways" and wasn't expecting a change. Then I got married (no kids, never really a driving desire for either one of us), and by that time had started drinking again, and like they tell you, it gets worse. I won't bog you down with the details, but while we're still married, we have significant problems, and I dealt with them by drinking - in other words, I drank when I was happy, when I was sad, when I was mad and when I was bored. I can't believe I didn't lose my job over the past few years (finance industry is so bizarre - I'm not in sales but I too have a good job, high profile, well paying, etc. At my worst, I got a promotion. I'm grateful nothing bad happened and I can keep a roof over my head, but I do wonder at the world sometimes. Just an aside...). But I did lose my marriage in all but the technical sense. We're still very close, and he'd tell you it was other things, but he's an enabler so I would expect nothing different. Alcohol killed my marriage.

You have to nip this in the bud now, because it must be sheer hell to be involved with an active alcoholic. Imagine your dreams, and insert yourself drunk - in the hospital, having to face your wife and kids. Not worth it, so not worth it.

This weekend, when I was driving around with my niece, she would say things and at least twice, maybe three times, I found myself responding and then saying "I'm not trying to lecture you"...and I'm not trying to do that here either. You know all this (just like she did, what kid hasn't heard the message "don't get into a car with a drunk driver", duh), and it's so great to be aware of it and get it out. If I had a place like this 20 years ago, who knows how things would have played out.

5 weeks is awesome! In the beginning all we want is to avoid the guilt and shame and self loathing, but it's a double-edged sword. Once that subsides, we open up to the possibility of doing it all over again. Do you really want to have to duck your neighbors and the night guy again? And they don't even matter to your life, imagine if they did.

Happy Tuesday!
Old 03-24-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Ugh, well, I'm still ducking my neighbors and the night guy, but I've come to grips with the fact that nothing truly horrible happened as someone would have spoken up by 5 weeks. So yeah, I don't want that to happen again.

And good point, if I have a family, waking up in the hospital would be all that much worse. As is, nobody close to me knows it happened, so I can kind of internalize that shame/embarrassment.

Thanks for the kind words. Just going to keep on staying sober and taking it one day at a time.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I'm still out here.. haven't posted in a bit. Took a little trip.

I'm on day 35 if I'm counting correctly. I always thought I had one more day than NYmets but maybe not? Not sure if I'm counting right. Maybe it's 36. Either way, I'm still sober! Hard to believe.

I am less obsessed with drinking now though Monday continues to be a challenge for me. I guess I'll always have to deal with Monday as trigger day and just keep winning.

I'm just tired from keeping myself busy but it's nice to be out more enjoying life rather than obsessing over getting booze and getting home to get drunk. There's a whole world out there. I'm much less agitated about everything. I'm more likely to smile and say hello to people. I just felt so bad about myself before.

So glad to see everyone still here.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

Things will get even better Matilda. Friday was my trigger day - it's just another (awesome) day now.

Glad you're back

D
Old 03-24-2015, 10:26 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi all, still here day 40. Had to look it up!
Was out for dinner with work a few nights ago. No angst over drinking. 3 others at the table, they ordered a bottle of wine which I would have drank in the past.
1 bottle between 3 people for the entire 3 course meal. I had to smile and was so glad I was on water.
I would have drank a bottle to myself over entree!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Good morning all, good to see you. 60, I do like that "keep winning" phrase. I hadn't thought if it quite like that, but it's applicable. Hi Trees, good for you. Quite a change in mind set, isn't it? We all seem to be around the same timeframe, I'm at day 36 or 37 (need to look). Things are so much better.

Have a good next 24 hours folks.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Oops, I'd jumped the gun. Today is actually Day 35. I updated my counter after midnight, and then did it again in the morning.

Anyway, today was a bit better. Met with my therapist and discussed the depression. Obviously a bit easier to get at when alcohol isn't clouding it. And for me, depression spells are fortunately usually just a few days anyway.

This upcoming weekend is still bugging the heck out of me. I don't have any homework and I don't have much work to catch up on. Normally, this would be a stars aligning moment where I'd look forward to getting hammered this weekend and not have to worry about the hangovers.

The one client of mine who I'd say is the only person in my life who is just a drinking buddy called me today and asked what I was up to Friday. I just said I wasn't sure yet and he told me where he'd be. I'm not going to go, but it's so tempting. Watch the NCAA games and drink.....I know where that leads though.

Thinking I might get out of town once again and go stay with my parents or brother. A lot easier for me not to drink in that setting. My feeling is that if I stay in NYC, I'll be tempted last minute to go out drinking.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:25 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Well, tough day. I found out a person we worked with and liked very much passed away. My first instinct is to drink. When my dad died, a "friend" at the time brought me a bottle of red wine and a bottle of champagne to drink by myself. Which I did. And I guess that's where I learned that grief is dealt with by drinking at least 2 bottles of wine. Funny how I was feeling better and then boom - the craving hits. So I'm making the choice not to go out and drown my sorrows but to find another way to deal with the grief. I can't imagine that anyone dies and thinks wow I sure hope everyone deals with my death by getting so drunk they're sick and can't function ... Hope everyone has a nice and sober night.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that 60. Seems like you made the right choice to grieve while sober though. Just think how much worse tomorrow morning would be if you drink.....
Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Went to the gym, had a good workout. Feeling better. Made it through another day.

Phew.