Notices

Class of February 2015 Part 3

Old 03-17-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

As I went on in recovery HS I realised that very few people cared about drinking as much as I did.

9 times out of ten 'no thanks I don't drink' is enough - truly.

Even with old friends you may feel you owe them an explanation but you really don't.

Do what feels right for you - the real crux of the thing is don't go with the flow - stay sober
Old 03-17-2015, 09:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day One

Alot of my friends drink a ton, it's hard to be around them
Old 03-17-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Day One

I've tried quitting 3 times over the last few years, the longest I made it was 15-16 days, early march 5 days and this 3 attempt is day one.

For the first time I am doing it with the support of my brother, and hopefully you kind people. Also, I have joined a group (not AA cause I am not a Christian and don't like all the God stuff).

Anyways, liver pain, shakes, feel like crap, and the list goes on...

I am ashamed of what I am now and really want to change.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome on board hiimbryan

All of my friends were drinkers too. It meant a lot of changes for me. But it was worth it

D
Old 03-17-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Just about every one of my friends drink excessively during special occasions and my best friend drinks like I drank, very hard and everyday. I think that is why we became close, unfortunately I'm realizing it was just the booze that bonded our friendship. I notice the lies and excuses that I was using now with him. I haven't told any of my regular friends that I'm a recovering alcoholic, but simply that I'm not drinking, trying to take care of myself. Never had anyone prod me or try and talk me into having a drink. I think if you have friends like that you should avoid them for a while... Like a few months at least. I was feeling pretty tired after 3-4 weeks and quit working out for a while. Just last week it's like my energy came soaring back. Day 43 and waking up alive and ready.
Hope you all have a great week!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Hiimbryan
Old 03-18-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Good Morning.

I finished painting my kitchen. I'm not quite sure if I like what I did. I tried to faux texturize it by taking a whisk broom and pulling paint down the wall - well, it looks like I threw mud on the wall! But! - it looks better than what it did, so you can imagine who awful it was before. At least it's just paint and if it truly is hideous I can simply just paint it again.

The snow is melting fast - yippee. I figure if these warm temps keep up it should be gone in 2 weeks. Then the spring clean up begins.

As far as cravings and such - the thought of having a nice, cool glass of wine has certainly crossed my mind on several occasions but I play the DVD through (not saying tape - that is so 1980s). Last night I went and bought 2 chocolate bars and a bag of doritos. I ate those two bars in about 5 minutes. Oh well. It beat the hell out of getting drunk.

It's been distressing to read on these forums so many who have thrown away their sobriety this March, especially those who have had a long string of time. It brings home, to me anyway, why I have to stay vigilante.

Keep fighting the good fight my friends.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nymets86 View Post
H2SO4, I have three wedding coming up, ugh.

I think maybe saying you're on antibiotics and can't drink is a lot easier than something really intense like saying that yor doctor told you you'd die if you drank. The antibiotics one won't get too many follow ups, whereas I feel like you might cause a lot of cl concern and draw attention to yourself if you say that your doctor said you might die.

Similarly, you could just say you quit drinking, are taking a break from Drinking, etc.
Ah hadn't thought of that one. I will keep it in mind, thanks!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

So yeah, what the heck is with the sugar cravings? I'm on day...30 something. I got a Ben and Jerry's and oh man Reeses has some new bar out. Well I ate the whole bar and had to stop myself from finishing the entire Ben and Jerry's.

I thought by now the sugar cravings would be gone, seems like they're the same if not worse! I'm loving the 10 lbs I lost but...now I REALLY need to get on that bicycle! Hmmm maybe a goal of really feeling good about how I look by this summer would be something to contemplate...
Old 03-18-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

H2 - I'd say the sugar cravings are there because alcohol is made from fermented sugar. So - we crave sugar. I'm not going to sweat that at this moment. I've never made a stupid text I've regretted after eating chocolate bars.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

H2, at my worst, I was an every other day drinker. The mornings I woke up hangover free, I'd get in a real intense workout and feel great. Then get out of work and go booze with friends or pound vodka at home. Wake up with a bad hangover and get through the day on greasy/gross food.

Now on my 28th day of sobriety, I've gotten back into the every other morning workout routine, but no more hungover mornings. The downside is that food cravings are off the charts. My stomach is usually so messed up from the drinking that I didn't eat frequently, but when my stomach felt OK enough to eat, I'd stuff my face.

Now, I'm hungry all the time. I've gone through a scary amount of Haribo gummy bears. So yeah, I think it's normal.

I haven't weighed myself, but notice despite eating a lot more, my belt is a tiny bit looser. Hoping as I rack up more sober time, I can improve my diet and just increase my workout intensity a bit.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 30 days H2
Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I am planning on watching The Jinx too! One of my colleagues recommended it, and of course, that nut is in the news this week.

Don't get me started on sugar. My niece is coming to visit this weekend and I'm basically planning our time around food and dessert. And shopping...I'm planning my wardrobe around trying on clothes easily. Love her, can't wait. And she's 17, so while she may drink with her friends, she can't do so in public and definitely can't around me.

For the weddings - I think you can just say "no thanks". It really won't take long before people are used to it. I've always struggled with my weight, so it is easy enough to blame it on a diet (I want cake later so am saving my calories for that, etc.).

The struggle is real, but it's hardest in our own minds. We create reasons to make it harder. Other people are an obstacle, yes. But I firmly believe that most people are more interested in themselves than anything we/others do. And if it is a real big deal to them, it's not out of line to say NOYB, nicely if possible, rudely if the situation warrants. And that's coming from one of the most non-confrontational person you'll find.

Save yourselves - no one else can do it for you. (all use of the word "you" is general, not pointed at anyone. I tend to make sweeping generalities, but hopefully the gist comes through).

Happy Hump Day!
Old 03-18-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hi have agreed to meet an old friend tonight. He is a drinker and we have shared many a night of fine wine, stories etc..

I've put off meeting him for ages. I have no intention of drinking. Let's be clear. I working the sober muscles. I'm not throwing away 34 days.

I have a plan. I will be fine. I just needed you all to know so you can sit at the next table.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Be strong trees. Sounds like a difficult situation to remain sober. Feel free to post on here while your out. Can just act like you are texting.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I dunno, there's a lot of neat and new candy bars out there. Maybe I'll start a candy bar review blog or something.

I'm getting a Zagnut this weekend. Mmmm... OK, after 30 minutes of exercise. I promise.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a good sober night Trees

D
Old 03-19-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks D. All done. My plan worked a treat. I ordered one of those big bottle of sparkling waters so I could refill my own glass and not have to reorder. Sat at the bar with my friend and I was fine.

My friend was a bit sneaky.. Oh they make great drinks here, did you know?

I'm not drinking. End of.

Worst part was the long drive home after too much water!

Thanks for being there guys. Have a great day.
End of day 34.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

great stuff Trees

D
Old 03-19-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Great job trees. I have a work event tonight, which I've discussed at length. I don't want anybody to "wish me luck" just me honest and tell me not to be stupid. I need to stay sober, stay vigilant and stay smart. I'm going to be honest and say I'm 95% committed to sobriety tonight. I'd love to be honest and say that number is 100%, but I know that's not how I'm feeling.

I have a plan and a backup plan in place.....arrive late, grab a club soda, make sure my boss sees me, speak with clients hanging out as far from the bar as possible while fixating on watching the March Madness games. If I feel the temptation to drink, my backup plan is to make sure my boss sees me, and then get outta the bar immediately. I know that nobody will be offended if I leave early and if someone is looking for me, they'll find someone else to talk to and be fine. I just know that I want to be lying in bed tonight, totally sober, typing out here what I learned and techniques I can use going forward. After today, it's several weeks until I have anything that will be a major trigger.

So, start of Day 29 for me. I might come on here later and post while at the party and just make it look like I'm texting people, haha.

I know that I want to be checking in here tomorrow on Day 30, not Day 1. I wish I could trust myself, but I'm not 100% there yet. I also cannot skip this event as my company spends a ton of money on it and we are required to go. I don't have to stay long and once my boss sees me, I think I'd be fine to leave. If asked, I could say I was hanging out off to the side and then left a bit early since I had to start studying.

Happy Thursday everyone!