Notices

Class of February 2015 Part 3

Old 06-22-2015, 01:49 PM
  # 441 (permalink)  

One month under my belt again. Feels good.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 442 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome achievement Trees congrats bud
Old 06-24-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  

Good to hear Trees! Keep it up.

Quick note, I'm heading out to enjoy the day. Vacation is better than working, for sure.

Enjoy everyone!
Old 06-25-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Well I'm going to have to go back on my diet pronto after this week, but it's been fun. The weather has been so nice. Few drinking urges, and they pass quickly. So all is good, hope the same for all of you.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Yeah, my diet fell off Tuesday/Wednesay of this week, but it's a lot easier to get on track with a diet vs drinking. As dumb as it sounds, I was pretty hungry around 9PM, saw a Dominos ad and craved pizza. I soon as I'd finished ordering it, I wish I could have cancelled it, but I couldn't. Ended up eating most of it Tuesday night and had pizza last night for dinner too. Didn't workout Wednesday morning or this morning. Going to get a workout in this evening and this weekend I have some long runs planned.

Day 64 of sobriety for me here and now 126 days in the last 127. This weekend will mark my 19th in a row without a drink and I'm feeling very confident going in. Will be with my family, out of NYC, where drinking temptations are far lower than being at my apartment.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  

I'm eating ice cream this week like it's going to be extinct soon. Oh well...it's not making me throw up, lose control of myself or make me wonder what I did while eating it....but it is something I need to get under control and soon!

I was thinking yesterday after my husband had a couple of drinks at lunch, that that is the big differentiator - he can have 2 or 3 and be done. I would have spent the rest of the day trying to figure out how to get more.

Have a good Friday.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:42 PM
  # 447 (permalink)  
Administrator

have a great weekend everyone

D
Old 06-27-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

So far, so good on the weekend for me. Got about a 7-mile run in yesterday, which felt fantastic and helped make up, at least in my mind, for my pizza (and in the interest of full disclosure, chocolate lava cakes) splurge. So much easier recovering from a food binge than an alcohol binge.

Anyway, as has been the case several times, I'm crazy sore today and probably overdid it exercising, but I feel really good. I can really see the weight loss, am down a belt loop and everything is just fitting a bit looser.

I saw some friends last night and simply said no thanks to drinks. Didn't bother with the club soda routine or any excuses about weight loss or allergies. Just didn't drink. As usual, a non-issue.

On Day 66 here and very confident in my sober plans the rest of the weekend. I won't even be around alcohol. So that will get me through weekend #19 of no booze. 4th of July is coming up, and while I know I have a good sober plan for it, I'd imagine it will get tested over the long weekend.

I hope everyone is doing well!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Another good Saturday here. I don't have any plans other than a lunch with a friend tomorrow, but am very ok with it.

Mets, you sound really good. And if you're going to have an eating day, you did it well!
Old 06-29-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  

Weekend #19 in the books. Strangely, I'm now more nervous and feeling more tempted to drink during the week now. I think it's because I was usually much more under control, though certainly not always, when I had work the next day.

Anyway, hit the gym this morning and plan to go again this evening to keep me occupied. Mets game tomorrow night with some friends and I know that I really just need to get through that first inning without buying a beer and I'll be fine.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!
Old 06-29-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 451 (permalink)  

Good day here. First day back from a week off went pretty well, can't complain. I can hardly believe we're almost into July.

Happy Monday.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

Have fun at the Mets game tonight Mets...no beer for you!

Today is a beauty of a day, and it's hard not to be hopeful about life in general!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:07 PM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Mets game was fun, despite them losing. Never even came close to drinking and while some in the group I was with had a beer or two, nobody was drunk and not everyone was drinking. Was just a nice evening out with friends.

Did the gym twice yesterday and ran 7.5 miles in Central Park before work today. Feeling very good about the diet and sobriety right now, need to just keep it going. Tomorrow morning I see my therapist, so will be a brief trip to the gym before my appointment and then tomorrow afternoon I'm having dinner with some friends in Brooklyn. I know there will be booze there, but it's a weeknight, so I don't expect people to be getting drunk, but I know I need to stay vigilant.

Have good sober plans for the long 4th of July weekend, so happy that's coming up and I'm not stressing about and weddings, birthday parties, bachelor parties or a big BBQ in NYC.

Good evening everyone!
Old 07-01-2015, 05:40 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

Good update Mets.

Things here are good too, I'm very ready for a long weekend despite having last week off. It's just such a grind, and people take themselves just so seriously. Oh well, best get to it.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Mets
Old 07-02-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Well, Day 71 is underway. About to go for a jog in Central Park (or elliptical in the gym, haven't decided, haha).

Then it's a short day of work and I get out at noon, after which I'm heading out of the city to meet my brother. Going to play golf this afternoon (great forecast in the northeast), then the two of us are heading to our parents' lake house. Planning some hiking, tennis, fishing, boating, trail clearing, biking and just flat out relaxing. I'm looking forward to a mostly temptation free weekend. I know in some previous years, I've brought a 6-pack in my kayak when I went out to watch the fireworks. I will NOT be doing that this year.

Dinner in Brooklyn last night was solid, though I did catch myself setting extra alarm clocks in my apartment when I was getting ready to leave, "just in case I drank." It was nice getting home and turning all the extra alarms off. I never came remotely close to drinking while there, though obviously I thought about it before leaving.

Well, I've decided now. It's a gym morning! Will jog outdoors all weekend at the lake and don't want to make my joints take any more of a beating than is necessary, so the elliptical is my decision.

Ready, glad to hear things are going well for you and you're rocking sobriety.

Torn/60, I hope to hear from you soon and I hope you are doing well and were able to get back on track.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 457 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great job oon 71 days Mets
Old 07-03-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 458 (permalink)  

This thread has gone pretty silent and seems to be just you and me Ready. Hopefully we get some of the Feb folks back that were active. Thanks to Dee and Soberwolf for popping in.

Anyway, weather is fantastic in the northeast today. Getting ready to go for a jog around the lake where my parents have a house. Thinking I'll do two full laps, which is like 8 miles. Then going to do a short hike with my dad and brother this afternoon. I'm at the point now where I really just want no part of alcohol given the calories. I really hope that once I hit my goal weight, the aversion to alcohol will stick. But it's Day 72 for me here and 134 of 135 and I'm still not able to think of being sober "forever." In particular, when dating in the past, I've had some success with Match, but the first date has always been "let's meet up for drinks." I know a coffee shop, visit to a museum, stroll in Central Park, etc are all legit options, but the whole dating thing is nerve wracking for me and the "meet up for drinks" is something I've done about 8 or 9 times over the years, with three developing into brief relationships that didn't end due to my drinking. And I'm aware enough of why I drink to know that I'm not looking to just take the edge off and that's why I want to do a first date at a bar.

When I spoke with my therapist this week, he did say that since on dates I stay under control given I'm one on one and don't want to make an arse of myself so I drink the same number as my date, I don't have to rule out having a few on the first few dates. We talked about that being a slippery slope, and some strategies about establishing myself as someone who just drinks very little, but agreed that this was probably not the best idea.

Dating is really on my mind since July started since I'll be turning 30 this month (prefer not to give the exact date just to help with anonymity). Given this long run of sobriety, my doctor and I have had more productive sessions since there's not a lot to talk about on the alcohol front and can focus more on my relationship anxiety and how I can use my otherwise good social skills to work there. I'm not a shy person, I don't mind public speaking, I have a good group of friends from growing up, from college, from work and now from graduate school, so I know what I need to do is just realize that my anxiety in that setting is unfounded. I get outrageously tense before first dates and can barely function that day.

Well, sorry for the long post. For the time being, I'm not actively seeking dates as I want a few more sessions with my therapist to discuss the booze component and I'm going to Europe for two weeks at the end of July, so I don't want to start dating now.. But come August, I'm determined to get back on Match and start actively working on that. Hopefully by then I can come to grips with zero drinks and just be a tiny bit more creative about a first date that's not "let's meet up for drinks." I know that a potential partner would much rather be with a teetotaler than a drunk.

Happy 4th to all those reading from the U.S.!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  

Good morning. Mets, you're not kidding, it's a gorgeous day here, truly couldn't be better. And a day off, so perfect! Sounds like you have things going well, birthday, Europe, your fitness program, and you're sober...you're going to be a great catch for the right person.

I understand the situational anxiety - it doesn't make sense in the context of a basically confident person - I have it too. To the extent that in my most recent doctor's appointment I brought it up to my doctor as it's not getting better and it's starting to negatively impact my job performance. So she prescribed Paxil for me, I've been taking it for almost 2 weeks. It's too early to tell if it will work, because it takes about a month to build up. However it's making me incredibly tired. That sluggish tired feeling is reminiscent of hangover time, and I don't like it much. I guess the plus side is that it reinforces that drinking = hangover = no thank you.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 460 (permalink)  

Ready, I hope the Paxil brings you relief.

My doctor was saying that my ADHD medication likely fuels the anxiety around dating since it's a stimulant, so he simply suggested I not take it the day when I do have a date. I'd be a mess at work that day, but I'm more than willing to have a useless day at work if it means I'd not be a nervous wreck in the hours leading up to the date. We talked a lot about how irrational the fear is, and that's helped, but I haven't been on a date since this, so hard to know how I'll feel.

Anyway, did my 8-mile run yesterday and it was great. Then went hiking with my dad, brother and his fiancé. About a 2-mile hike, so loads easier than our Father's Day hike, but after an 8-mile run, it felt strenuous. My cardio level is just awesome right now and my brother's fiancé even commented on how much weight I'd lost and told me to share some tips with her brother since he's also in the wedding party and is quite a bit heavier than I'd been. I took it as a compliment, even though she clearly insinuated that she's happy I'm thinner for her upcoming wedding. (I'm reading way too much into that!)

Just about to head out for a 7-mile run, though the weather stinks today compared to yesterday. Then a fireworks show this evening at a neighboring lake where a friend of mine has a mansion. I've gotten trashed at that party in the past, but I'm the DD tonight, eventhough nobody in family drinks much and would be fine for any of them to drive too. I still haven't told them that I'm quitting booze, can't bring myself to say it. But actions can speak louder than words and they've not seen me drink since sometime in early Febraury.

Happy 4th of July!