happy birthday day aunt dee (for old times sake) lol

mags, whats the daffodil story?
Old 04-06-2015, 04:38 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon Overs
Old 04-06-2015, 06:36 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Well, if I resist temptation until 10:45PM Central Time USA, I will have been sober 2 full years.

Hard to believe. It has been quite a journey. Getting sober has opened up a lot for me, but also exposed much I tried to cover with booze and addiction. Each day I think of this quote that I heard someone use and later found was from a US based TV evangelist; not among my favorite group of people. But if it fits...

I am not where I need to be, I am not where I am going to be... but thank God I am not where I used to be.

Thanks tons to my Overs! You have been a rock solid support!
Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Congrats Drake on almost a full 730 Days!! Keep counting! ODAAT.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Good morning Overs,

It's a new day! Make it count!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Mags,
You'll make it fine. Just remember to do "it," whatever "it" is to you, today. My SH and me retired three times or four, depending on how you define it. We traveled the world, even to your little island, and then voyages by land yacht throughout these lately divided states, Canada, Alaska, and even just into Mexico. I'm 62 now and doubt I could as easily walk the Grand canyon trail from the rim to the bottom and back today, and certainly not as easily as I did just 17 years ago, if at all. They told us we were too young to retire at 45 (and my SH just 730 days younger), and that we should go back to work. My younger brother wanted to do some of the things we did when he retired but he died of a massive heart attack at 56 years young. So many people wait for the right moment, the perfect time, and delay appreciating their lot until sometimes it's too late.

What a waste of my dreams alcohol is. I continue learning to dream again in the real waking life of bumps and bruises, love and loss. No matter the fear if we made it here once more. Able once more.

RZ,
I prefer being able to edit my posts later. I have got to disable the word suggestions! In my earlier post to you it changed close to your vest to case to your vest, and shall to shale?

Kris,
Thanks! I loved the Daffodil story, and have hundreds every year in the woods out back. Folks much younger tell me they envy us. I tell them we are the result of decisions made forty years ago. They don't want to wait, and miss completely that abiding by good life decisions is an adventure that opens the world to us.

Congrats Drake, never look back!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Do your best

Happy birthday Drake 2 years is amazing
Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Itchy,

My Dad died at 56. I am 64. I always need to remember today is the day we have. We have to make the most of it. It took me a longtime time to figure that out with my sobriety but I'm doing it now. I am planting seeds everyday to keep coming up with flowers rather than weeds. Together we all can make a difference.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Just got back home after a couple of days with the family. Happy to report that Mom is doing just fine at her new home. She still misses Dad, but that's to be expected. The new place is much more inviting and "homey" than the old place and the other residents are much more chatty. In fact, I think one of the old ladies got pretty flirty with me, I think she may have even proposed!?! Anyway, they appear to be a fun bunch.

We still have to deal with the house, which has nearly 50 years worth of stuff stored in it, so that'll be a chore.

Have a great week, overs!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Glad that your mom is doing as well as she is, FBL.

Welcome back.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good to hear FBL
Old 04-06-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

It's been a lovely long Easter weekend for me - back to work tomorrow...boo... never mind, as a friend of mine says, it's nearly Friday
Old 04-06-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Sounds Good to me Feeling-good.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Magsie

Evening Overs, I'm also getting ready for work tomorrow feeling-good, and to make matters worse, hubby has two more weeks off, he has to take them or lose them.

I've not read the daffodil Rusty but I think I will. I like a good book.

Itchy, I think you're very brave, you and your wife, for just doing it. I live in a culture where we retire at 65, 60 if we're lucky. I too knew a few who I worked with retired for just a few years and died. So sad. I realise the present it what we should cherish although we also have to plan for the future. Many years ago I did live on a barge for 2 1/2 years, that was an experience. Good and bad.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Magsie

Ah, yes Kris, I have read it before, my memory. The daffodil principle , one small step. Thankyou.

Congratulations on 2 years Drake, brilliant.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  
Do your best

Nearly friday FG lol
Old 04-06-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wow Kris,
My brother's kids will say the same of him. Even I thought that was young and I was 58 at the time. Strange but I was the excessive everything. Drinker, military career, skier, diver, and I was smoking three packs a day until the month before he died. I was out of shape due to back and neck disabilities keeping me from being able to run or do calisthenics anymore. ( The military is hard on the frame if not the innards.)

He smoked when younger but quit early. Never drank to excess, and towards the end ran three times a week. He had gained a lot of weight then lost it. His doc was the most surprised after his wife. He was the later in life athlete. We play our cards or fold in the end. He played his.

FBL,
That she likes it is good news! What you guys might consider doing is take what all of you want, with her permission of course, and negotiate any contested items between siblings. Then take what is left and hire an Estate sale company. They will take a large percentage but will earn it if they are anything like my wife and her estate sale company here. If all you guys do is take everything of value to sell later most estate sale companies will decline being yard sale liquidators. They have to have something to sell or they work for nothing cleaning the place and items for sale and staging them. Then after the sale they will call a local after sale buyer of what is left or he will bid on certain items as well if high value items did not sell. They advertise and conduct the sales on Fridays then Saturday. The first day no negotiations, Price is as marked. Then Saturday morning everything is 25% off. They take bids all through the sale and they close from 11:45- 12:30 to call their bidders to accept any bids or not. Then they reopen and sell all for 50% off. Leftovers at the end are very negotiable.

If you already knew all that don't read it! LOL! If you have very collectible items that are 50 years old, once you have gone through and set out most of it, have an appraiser come through to tell you about any really collectibles and their value before turning the estate over to estate sales folks. Remember they estate sale folks get anywhere from 30-50% depending on whether they think it has lots of money to generate or not. So do keep extreme value items or sell them through other channels. If an antique table is worth $2500.00 and you put it in the sale at that price, then it goes through to Saturday at half price, the item sells for $1250.00 and the estate sale folks get half which means you only get $625 for the high ticket item. It may have sat for a few weeks or months before it sold in papers or on eBay with you negotiating down to $2000.00 for the family. Or her. However you guys decide remember that once turned over to the estate sale people it is not allowed to change your mind/s and come back and start taking things out of the sale. A good estate sale crew earns the money and takes the drudgery off you. I'd rather take a beating than even do what they do for any amount of money. I have been threatening to have a yard sale for years.

Hey FG!
have a great work week!

I forgot to say Hi to Jeni before. You'll be back before you know it. I'll go look for your posts. I wondered what happened to you. Kind of like LaFemme early on who was a neighbor so to speak from the same small area of Fairfield County Connecticut As me and RZ. I didn't want to ask out loud in the forums but we never heard back from her. I hope she is well, drinking or not. And the same for you. You were missed. But we have to detach unless asked for help. I'm sorry you had a setback!

Hey Wolf! You all doing well now?

MB, I do hope you are feeling a little better.

I am going over to the new to us 5th wheel with the boys as one needs the mattress. RV Mattresses are the pits on the flat platform with no box spring under them. I ordered a new memory foam mattress for it with a gel foam cooling layer on the top. That is what we have been sleeping on for the past year in our house bedroom. For us the best for sleep. We could never go back to springs and polyester ticking. Rained again. I am developing high water marks on my shins and webbed feet. I look forward to moving to Colorado when we are not needed here. The new house will pay for itself when we sell the property. It is for quality of life only. Then I have to have the Trailer brake controller installed in the truck, and I will install the hitch in the truck and the adapter on the trailer. Then build the RV Pad with carport cover for it.

See, we are spending our kid's inheritance.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Spending Kids Inheritance ( otherwise known as Skiing!) I love doing it!

We had a fab day out yesterday with daughter & gson at a local safari park, had a really lovely time. Last port of call was the Sealion show where a lovely gal called Lulu put on a wonderful display for us, what a cutie! Gson was a little distracted because he thought he saw a footballer from his team and nagged his mum to stop the guy on his way out and ask him. She did, he was, and gson ended up with an autograph & photograph to add the icing, cherry, sprinkles and fairy dust on a day to remember!

FBL, do I need to buy a hat or is the wedding going to be low key? seriously I am so glad for all your sakes that your mom is settling in.

MB, I hope you feel better soon honey, stick close and post more for regular support.
FG, now that is just chasing the week away!

Kris, I love the daffodil principle.

Mags, you are missing a trick if you have headed off to work today without leaving a list as long as your arm of chores to keep hubby busy on his 2 weeks 'holiday'

Drake, congratulations my dear friend, I am glad to see that 2 years have arrived safe and sound. I know times have been a struggle for you so it is more power to you to have gotten here. I hope you are resting your voice and the celebratory cheers are a mere whisper.

Hugs all xx
Old 04-07-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Many congratulations, Drake! i hope you will do something extra-nice for yourself today!

FBL, when my dad sold his house in 2005 and moved in with me, the only items of value were the dining room set and his bedroom set. We moved his bedroom down to our place, and my cousin Michelle came to take the dining room; then for the rest of the house we called 1-800-GOT-JUNK. They pulled a dumpster up to the front of the house and just went to town! No worry, no hassle.

My parents' stuff was cheap and junky, so there wasn't anything really to sell. I took the good kitchen items. One coffee pot from the 1940s, a Guardian with the glass dome intact, brought me $80 at the time. I did try it once for coffee: it was good!