SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of February 2015 Part 2 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/359726-class-february-2015-part-2-a.html)

Soberwolf 02-23-2015 01:41 PM

Keep on keepin on Februarians

Dee74 02-23-2015 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ting (Post 5218773)
Hi
Still reading here. I seem to be doing a dance of 4 days off 3 days on the booze. I spose that's better than everyday. I have a rule of not drinking alone and that is helping. Anyway day 1 again.

It may be better but I know it's not where you want to be, Ting.
Don't settle for second best :)

can you think of other things you might add to your recovery to get past the dreaded 4 days?

D

Dee74 02-23-2015 02:06 PM

Welcome Jazerac, NewLeaf, and Jenaben1 :)

D

lastchance77 02-23-2015 02:47 PM

I fell off but I'm back again. Hopefully still welcome in class..

Dee74 02-23-2015 02:56 PM

welcome back lastchance :)

D

3wolves 02-23-2015 02:57 PM

Day three
Headache body ache

Iced in by weather. Really need to be in the dirt.
Not bundled up and horizontal on the couch.

jazerac 02-23-2015 03:30 PM

Jenaben and MrQuit, we are in this together. Cooked dinner and was craving a drink soooo bad. I started to rationalize and convince myself that I could do it in moderation, but I am staying strong. Heck with it, gonna go get some ice cream. Haven't done that since I was a kid.

Emily2002 02-23-2015 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Esspee (Post 5219916)
We've had a change of plan and our bundle of joy is a Jack Russell. The poor little mite has been at a rescue centre since November and deserves a forever home - and has got us :-D

Oops sorry! For some reason I pictured the wrong dog lol. But Jack Russells are busy and SMART. And boy can they JUMP!!!

Keeping fingers crossed for you just the same, Esspee.

Trees39 02-23-2015 04:39 PM

Well done everyone .. Let's keep going together. Day 11 for me and this is feeling good.
I've noticed the whites of my eyes are now white, instead of a yellow/grey. Shocked me.😄

Emily2002 02-23-2015 06:33 PM

Made it through day #2. My AV tried to convince me I wanted a drink to relax when I first got home, but I turned on the water for tea instead and walked out of the kitchen as my husband poured his drink.

Time for bed now or I'll end up eating too much. If it's not one thing, it's another for me. :wild

Hoping I'm not so blue tomorrow. I've got a long day ahead. Taking my dad into the city to follow up after a procedure by discussing the pros and cons of brain surgery and won't get back home until late evening.

Good night... or good day... depending on your particular neck of the woods.

nymets86 02-23-2015 06:59 PM

Closing out Day 5 here and no urges or cravings. My anxiety about my hospitalization last week is still crippling though. Haven't yet seen any of my neighbors or the staffer that was here on Wednesday, and have been actively avoiding. My heart sinks when I venture into the hall and wait for the elevator for fear one of the neighbors will walk out of their apt (or the elevator doors will open and one will be heading home).

It's not triggering me to want to drink, but it's agonizing nonetheless.

ting 02-23-2015 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5220321)
It may be better but I know it's not where you want to be, Ting. Don't settle for second best :) can you think of other things you might add to your recovery to get past the dreaded 4 days? D

Oh I don't know!
I don't think my heart is totally into being completely sober to be honest. I'm just day by daying and I know I won't drink today. Day 2 and feel really good actually. I drank too much one night last week and really suffered for a few days. That's a good reminder.
Thanks Dee for checking in and yes I would like to get past my dreaded day 4 this time!
Have a good one everyone!

--------------------------------------------------- "Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a day without any new mistakes in it yet?" Anne of Green Gables.-

60andbeyond 02-23-2015 10:15 PM

Day 6! Today was odd. I had a really hard time focusing and I had way too much energy. This is why I used to drink - my brain moves too fast, I move to fast. Just too much going on. I would drink to calm myself down. I had a really hard time just focusing one thing. I did go to the gym though and I went at a time I'd usually be at home drinking so it was a good release. I'm feeling a little scared of how I'm going to control the energy I have but one day at a time. . . and today I managed it. Tomorrow is another day. I just hope I can sleep tonight!

Good job everyone!

Dee74 02-23-2015 10:18 PM

My brain is pretty rapidfire too :)

I was scared of that, and it was one of the reasons I drank too.

It took a little while, but I got used to it - I find it an advantage now really.

You will too 60andbeyond - give yourself a little time :)

D

Esspee 02-23-2015 10:44 PM

Morning ladies and gents. 6.30am in the UK and all is quiet. Well, it is now. Just after we moved into our bungalow the council moved their rubbish cart depot to the end of our garden. They dump the rubbish elsewhere but the vehicles park there overnight and go out at 5.30am each morning. Not a great alarm clock.

Yesterday finished on an interesting note. We don't have a bath, we have a big walk in shower that takes up the floorspace of a bath. Because we are 'below ground level' (not literally but we are lower than the nearby river bed hence being in flood alert whenever there's a really high tide) we need a pump to remove the dirty water which runs while the shower is running and for a minute or so after. To make sure all the dirty water goes on emptying we then use our shower broom to sweep the water from the furthest point of the drain hole to the drain.

Last night when my son had his shower the pump didn't work - made all the noises but didn't remove the water. My son hadn't shut the door fully so there was a slight gap under it. The penny didn't drop with him even though there was clearly more water on the base of the shower than normal. So he starts off trying to sweep the water away. At this point he opens the shower curtains (curtains top half, doors bottom half) and realised the bathroom is flooded. The whole of the floor was swimming and even the hallway carpet was beginning to get wet.

We grabbed every towel out the airing cupboard, found the mop, shut the cubicle door so the seal is 'active' and dried it all out - fortunately my bathroom floor is a purpose made wet room type floor so nothing ruined.

Once the immediate clean up was done we grabbed tea, hot chocolate and a pack of mini eclairs, sat down and had a laugh about it.

23 days ago if this had happened I would probably have shouted, stamped, berated my son and made a huge song and dance of it - and probably not done as thorough a job clearing up. And the only reason I thought of wine last night was when I realised I would have used that as an excuse to go out and get more.

So the next few days will be hectic. I need to get the landlord out for the shower (I have fibromyalgia so the shower is important for me for that as well as cleanliness), the house sorted as while we were flying about for towels etc yesterday (and looking for my landlords details) just about everything went up in the air, getting a the towels washed and dried, home visit from the dog shelter people plus trip to doctors first thing today.

I don't think I've ever been so glad to be sober before. If I was drinking I'd be stressing out on social media, panicking, doing half hearted jobs of everything. I LIKE being sober (and I'm beginning to like me!!)

bblackbirdflyy 02-23-2015 11:47 PM

Re-committing to Sr and myself to remain sober. Tonight I'm hungover and I hate myself. Working at the moment. This lifestyle is not sustainable. I can't binge on this poison anymore. I don't drink. Please let this be the time I learn my lesson and stick to this simple policy.

Dee74 02-23-2015 11:52 PM

I think the key is changes BBF. Make it very hard to drink and easier to find support to stay sober.

whatever it takes - you can do this :)

D

DrunkenDonuts 02-24-2015 04:03 AM

I figured out something today. I drink because I like to get drunk. Not because I need the substance physically, but because I like the feeling of being drunk.

It obviously causes too many problems in recovering from a bender, so I try to find something else to get that "high". One thing which seems to work is humour and laughing, but in all honesty, this board is quite macabre and dire mostly.

I understand people giving their best to newbies and offering advice to others to help them overcome their drinking problems. When I see the signatures with "uplifting" quotes or pictures of cute things in every second signature it makes me want to write something which would get deleted by the profanity filters here.

Even the word "sobriety" makes me think "boring". I imagine a middle-aged accountant in short shorts pulled up so far he has a severe testicle separation and a flannel shirt sitting down with a hot cup of Bovril and a single-player game of scrabble. Ready for a good night in during his sobriety.

That might just be me, and some people may like short shorts and single-player scrabble. I'm not one of those people.

I like rapier writing with an acid tip. Skirting the edge of decency and blowing the occasional skirt up. It's my high. I will never have "sobriety" in my mind, but I will be a non-drinker.

I feel better, having had my rant. Thanks. Also - Day 27.

Esspee 02-24-2015 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by DrunkenDonuts (Post 5221342)
That might just be me, and some people may like short shorts and single-player scrabble. I'm not one of those people.

The late, great Freddie Mercury was a single-player Scrabble fan. (A friend of mine was in a band at Knebworth in August 1986 so we got to 'hang with the band' and he was merrily playing away (another friend had gone to college with Brian May so a double whammy)). Somehow I don't think he quite fits the picture you are trying to paint.

Anyway, your post goes to show it 'takes all sorts' to make a community. While I don't agree with you I respect your right to your views.

DrunkenDonuts 02-24-2015 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Esspee (Post 5221375)
The late, great Freddie Mercury was a single-player Scrabble fan. (A friend of mine was in a band at Knebworth in August 1986 so we got to 'hang with the band' and he was merrily playing away (another friend had gone to college with Brian May so a double whammy)). Somehow I don't think he quite fits the picture you are trying to paint.

Anyway, just goes to show it 'takes all sorts' to make a community. While I don't agree with you I respect your right to your views.

Pretty sure Freddy would have also been a fan of severe testicle separation. Would have been nice to know the guy.

Anyway. I wasn't trying to put anyone else down or discourage them from using whatever they feel will help them. I just wanted people like me to know there are others here who prefer to laugh rather than be somber.