Notices

Class of December 2014 Part 9

Old 02-14-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tonks View Post
For me it was the sensory overload of grocery stores. Kids crying, people talking, clash of metal shopping carts, the register beeping, all the lights so many lights, and then the parking lot full of stuff on the ground that made driving kind of a intense. I still get nervous sometimes when I see a lone soda can or carcass on the side of the road.

Enjoy your rest Cast, I'm sure it's well earned
Thanks,

Hear ya. In addition to the sensory overload, mentally a good part of me stays behind...

I have trouble caring about normal everyday things. Don't know if it makes sense but for a long time, very little of everyday life would matter to me. I'd find people would talk about the news, how their day went etc and nothing matters to me. It all seems so trivial.

Can't say much of that will change but now at least I'm not a drunken time bomb filled with wrath.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
...holds the key

"Can't say much of that will change but now at least I'm not a drunken time bomb filled with wrath."

I'm glad you're not that drunken time bomb now, cast. What a miserable way to live, yeah? You deserve so much more out of life than that.

And Copper....your life isn't over, you know. You can always go back to school and pursue that music degree.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:37 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Copper keep looking forward, not back! You can't waste this gift of sobriety we have now. I know I will try hard to do the same!!!!!
I started reading David Carrs book, night of the gun. It's hard to read because he really got after it in terms of drugs and booze and I feel the same somewhat. Here I am in my mid 30s and when I think back to the destruction i caused it can overwhelm me.
David Carr just passed but was sober for years and made it all the way to the NYT after jail and 4 stints in rehab....if he could do that why shouldn't we?! Maybe in 20 years we will all be sober and winning Grammies

Have I mentioned I'm a singer?? Lalala.....
Old 02-14-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Have I mentioned I have no musical talent...maybe I could pay the tambourine or something so I don't get left behind.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if I have any musical talent either Della! I just got the guitar today and have never played. If need be we can be the good luck charms
Old 02-14-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Originally Posted by castdown View Post
Thanks,

Hear ya. In addition to the sensory overload, mentally a good part of me stays behind...

I have trouble caring about normal everyday things. Don't know if it makes sense but for a long time, very little of everyday life would matter to me. I'd find people would talk about the news, how their day went etc and nothing matters to me. It all seems so trivial.

Can't say much of that will change but now at least I'm not a drunken time bomb filled with wrath.
Hmm I know I was angry each time I came back. Angry at people walking around and talking about celebrity gossip and etc while meanwhile my friends still there were going through the ringer. Angry at people being so clueless. It took a few years to get over that but it was only after my time in was up that it started to fade away. Funny enough, once i wasn't in anymore i felt lost and actually missed being deployed. It's a strange... dichotomy? Is that the word.

Copper: Not very apt at any instrument but if we're playing to a drunk crowd (ha) i could probably pull off the vocals.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Hey folks, i play air guitar,does this qualify me? Thanks Dax and everyone. Good to be back here.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Yay! We've got a singer!

And yes, Della....you can be the hot tambourine girl! Woohoo!

I just have one request y'all. Please keep all lighters, matches or any sort of fire away from me during our sets. I was in a band in college and caught my hair on fire during a gig once! (And no it wasn't part of our act). Of course now that I don't drink or smoke there's probably little chance of that happening again!! Ha!
Old 02-14-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Copper,when i get any good amount of sober time, i enjoy everything so much more. Even the simple things bring me much pleasure. Drinking robs me of those feelings. So despise that poison.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Yep...air guitar totally qualifies!!

And tonks....it's you and kitty on vocals for sure!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Kitty and Max, you two are some wise individuals. I need to keep those things in mind. Things seem harder this time around so far.

Tonks and Kitty playing the pipes!!

Air guitar is the best guitar!!

Sweet Della rocking the dulcet tone of the tambo!

Brynn, I'm sorry but that is hilarious but not hilarious but alas, hilarious. Only if you weren't hurt though. I'm seriously liking all the completely unexpected tidbits about you. Totally awesome.

Tonks, you gotta have some shades, my brotha.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Yay! We've got a singer! And yes, Della....you can be the hot tambourine girl! Woohoo! I just have one request y'all. Please keep all lighters, matches or any sort of fire away from me during our sets. I was in a band in college and caught my hair on fire during a gig once! (And no it wasn't part of our act). Of course now that I don't drink or smoke there's probably little chance of that happening again!! Ha!
Brynn! I caught the human in front of me on fire (just their clothes) during an eight grade candlelight processional. It was an accident, but I agree - no pyrotechnics!

I call cow bell!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I played the trombone all through junior high, high school, and 2 years in college. That was about a century ago, but I can still remember a few licks. Also played the violin and piano ( pretty badly). This band is really shaping up!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

I always wanted to learn the violin. It's on my to-do list.

Trombone is awesome though. That slide always tripped me up.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
I played the trombone all through junior high, high school, and 2 years in college. That was about a century ago, but I can still remember a few licks. Also played the violin and piano ( pretty badly). This band is really shaping up!
Violin is my favourite instrument!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Oh Dax...yes! Gotta have the cowbell! you're banned from fire, too! Ha!

Mld....you might be overqualified for this ragtag bunch (except for copper of course!). But it might make the rest of us look better? Eek!!

And copper....I have really long hair, and I was drunk (duh) and smoking (thought that was sooooo cool to keep the cig in my mouth while playing) and a strand of hair caught the end of the cig and literally caught fire! Ha! No permanent damage thank god!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Oh Dax...yes! Gotta have the cowbell! you're banned from fire, too! Ha!

Mld....you might be overqualified for this ragtag bunch (except for copper of course!). But it might make the rest of us look better? Eek!!

And copper....I have really long hair, and I was drunk (duh) and smoking (thought that was sooooo cool to keep the cig in my mouth while playing) and a strand of hair caught the end of the cig and literally caught fire! Ha! No permanent damage thank god!
Heehee!!!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Js...have you thought about taking up the violin?
That would be so cool!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Oooohhhh that is too good. The things we do to portray "coolness". I am glad nothing too terrible happened though. How long is "really long"?

I just keep imagining the length of hair my roommate had in college. Hers was down below her bottom. I couldn't handle that much hair.

Dax! We always need more cowbell!
Old 02-14-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Trust me, Brynn. I'm not overqualified. I have a feeling if I tried to play the trombone now it would sound like a sick cow. At least for a while until I got the hang of it again.