Notices

Class of February 2015

Old 02-03-2015, 01:20 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Bad start to the day. Got a rent demand for £1,000 to be paid by Sunday. My workplace 'rearranged' jobs in November and mine became obsolete so been looking ever since.

The financial support I can get to help until I can find work hasn't been sorted out so I am paying what I can but it's not enough.

I won't drink but this would have been a trigger
Old 02-03-2015, 02:01 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry esspee - I hope you can work something out.

D
Old 02-03-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I went in to the local council offices to see how close things were to being sorted and came away with yet ANOTHER form I have to send to my ex-employers to complete.

I had to walk past the local shops on the way home and it was difficult but I kept on walking. If I can get through today it will be a huge boost to my confidence!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi, I am new to this site and this is my first post. I am a 28 yo female, married and wanting to beat this before I have kids! Today is day 1. Yesterday I had 2 glasses of wine so in my eyes would have been day 1 but I know this is not the case. Any tips would be great as I am rly scared! I know I can keep myself busy but rly worried how I am going to be able to sleep without it! All part of the path I guess
Old 02-03-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Kirst - joining this thread is a great move - there's a ton of support here.
Whenever you need some help, post away

D
Old 02-03-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Ups and downs today. All the stuff I've moaned about but on the flip side, my phone interview went great yesterday and just had call asking me to go to the head office next Thursday (130 miles away). So I've an interview on Weds AND one on Thu AND I could actually do both of them (one office based 16 hrs a week, the other 25 hours a week from home at any time I want as long as the 25 get done).

So, the desire to drink has reduced. I am having a few side effects. I feel freezing cold but sweating buckets. My head hurts and I'm feeling exhausted. But I know I WILL get through this
Old 02-03-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Hope you are all okay guys.

I'm just on my lunch at work. Trying a new outlook to try to relax more at work and take my time with things. It seems to be doing my stress levels wonders so far. I wouldn't have usually even taken a lunch break.

Looking forward to another sober night tonight. I love a waking up not feeling like death.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Good Morning

Krist08- I feel you. I'm a F the same age, with the same problem. I've found this site has a ton of useful advice and resources. By no means do I have the solution- but what HAS worked for me in the past is to avoid HALT- getting too Hungry, Angry, Lonely or Tired. All
These things definitely give me a case of the "f----its lets drink!"

I had 6 days of sobriety last week, which was really good for me. Drank all
Weekend and yesterday, so it's back to day 1. My heart feels heavy

Getting up, shower and run errands even though I don't want to. I'd like to try to make it to a meeting today, but there's literally 4 feet of snow on the ground here! I don't have a car at the moment and it's incredibly difficult to get around. We'll see.

Good luck out there today Class
Old 02-03-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm joining this group "for real" this time. I really want out of the darkness of alcoholism and need all the support & tools I can get. Unfortunately I DID drink four 12 ounce beers yesterday. It sucks that I drank ANYTHING but honesty is critical for me.

After 4 beers I cursed at the alcohol and slammed the rest of it into a dumpster without even having much of a buzz. I'm just so tired. I don't want alcohol to be my master anymore!

How can a liquid have so much power? It's evil!!!

Anyway, yesterday I had a massive craving & posted here & got some amazing advice from so many people on how to overcome cravings so next time I don't have to drink ANYTHING.

Sooooooo....TODAY is day 1. I pray that it's my last day 1 ever! I feel scared of the evil cravings lurking in the bushes...waiting....waiting....waiting for a time to pounce...to suck me in....to take another piece of my soul. BUT....I will not let it get me today...I WONT! I will stay sober for the next 24 hours!!!

Thx! I'm praying for all of you & myself. Xo
Old 02-03-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ting View Post
AGAG I also live in Thailand. Cheap good beer everywhere! I think that's why I came here in the first place. Haha
Innit man! A case can be made that it's not a good place to be if you're trying to beat the booze - and indeed I was spending a LOT of time either drunk or hungover at first - but since I moved to Chiang Rai back in August, things have really come together.

Had more time sober here than I ever did over the past 2 years (from when I began my journey).

It's kinda hard, as boozing is so much part of the lifestyle here - both for Thais and for us 'farangs'.

The Fifth Precept of the Buddha (the one on avoiding 'intoxicating substances that lead to carelessness') notwithstanding.

A guy I know was recently on the boat from Tha Ton to Chiang Rai - and the boat driver, half way through the trip, whipped out a bottle of whiskey and necked the whole f.ucker in one go!

Then when it was time to pull over for the half way point so people could go to shops etc, the guy basically lay down on the grass and passed out - upon which the locals flocked on him, trying to revive him, and calling for another boat to come take the passengers the rest of the way (presumably he'd wake up later in the spare bedroom of one of the locals, wondering where all his passengers went).

Not to mention the attitude towards drink driving - don't really like to drive the motorbike downtown on Friday nights as I always seem to see people swerving all over the road, driving not only drunk but extremely visibly drunk.

And when I see groups of fieldworkers on evenings after I've been for my run in Singha Park, they're usually on the distilled rice ("lao khao") shots!

(understandably - when you're not paid very much at all, and don't have much in the way of entertainment open to you, lao khao is a tantalising and cheap filler of that void)
Old 02-03-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

In other news, when I wake up tomorrow, I'll be on day 10. Booyah! x
Old 02-03-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Well gang you have a new member. Starting over today.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post

How can a liquid have so much power? It's evil!!!
Plenty do. It was a liquid that propelled us to the Moon.

Also, the world depends on a liquid we dig from the ground (and if we haven't fought wars already over control of said liquid, we will do in the future).

And it was likely a (frozen solid) quantity of water from space that took out the dinosaurs.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

It was suggested that I join this group, as I am back to day 1 again after many, many day 1s over the past 4-5 years. So you guys have yet another new group member.

Praying for strength. I am terrified after drinking all weekend and most of the day yesterday. I am feeling extremely anxious, scared, and want to cry. Made it to work today, but my head is swirling with thoughts of all the things I need to do and I just want to bury my head in a pillow and cry my eyes out.

Luckily, I'm not hungover. Sunday's binge was so much that yesterday I drank just enough to keep from having bad withdrawals and slept quite a bit. I had trouble sleeping last night. Kept waking up in panic.
I don't want to live this way anymore. I want to be healthy. I don't want to feel so overwhelmed by life.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Joining in on day 3. This cycle has got to stop! Nice to meet you all.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hi all, Id like to join your class if its ok, have been in Feb13 class then Aug14 class and managed 11weeks at one stage but alas slipped/drank again and have spent the last 3months drinking alcoholically most days starting in pubs/bars socially then drinking 2 big bottles of spirits a day isolated, spent all of my savings and am now broke.

My ex who is the mother of my 2 girls aged 4 and 6, has found a new younger man (who's Tee-total!) despite saying when I was still sober that we had a future- turned out she's been seeing him during those sober 11weeks when I was still paying for her make-overs etc, feel such a fool, feel used and feel totally beaten by alcohol and life.

Somehow have to find the strength to carry on for the sake of my girls, have to get recovery in place before I sart chasing the money again though, Ive been guilty of wanting to run before I can walk in past efforts.

Im 34 and desperately want this to be the time to change and get sober, Im on day 5 today, Im low and depressed, but trying to keep it in the day. Hope to get to know you all as the days and hopefully weeks and months go by!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hi all, Id like to join your class if its ok, have been in Feb13 class then Aug14 class and managed 11weeks at one stage but alas slipped/drank again and have spent the last 3months drinking alcoholically most days starting in pubs/bars socially then drinking 2 big bottles of spirits a day isolated, spent all of my savings and am now broke.

My ex who is the mother of my 2 girls aged 4 and 6, has found a new younger man (who's Tee-total!) despite saying when I was still sober that we had a future- turned out she's been seeing him during those sober 11weeks when I was still paying for her make-overs etc, feel such a fool, feel used and feel totally beaten by alcohol and life.

Somehow have to find the strength to carry on for the sake of my girls, have to get recovery in place before I sart chasing the money again though, Ive been guilty of wanting to run before I can walk in past efforts.

Im 34 and desperately want this to be the time to change and get sober, Im on day 5 today, Im low and depressed, but trying to keep it in the day. Hope to get to know you all as the days and hopefully weeks and months go by!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:02 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Sorry for the double post!!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

It looks like there are a few of us starting over on Day 1 again today. It is nice that I am not alone in having many "start overs" since joining SR. We can do this, we have each other!
Old 02-03-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Welcome 1stepup.

@lilac - no, you are definitely not alone. I'm right with you.