Notices

Class of December 2014 Part 6

Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Live easy but think first

Hey family!

I just caught up on reading posts and need to get to bed. Erin, I feel both tremendous relief and pride in you. I also completely understand what you were walking through as you were walking through it. You modeled something powerful to me, though. You modeled reaching out when you needed it. And everyone else was right there.

When I want to use or drink, I withdraw from everyone. I see that clearly as I read through what occurred today. I want to do this differently. Because, if we do it differently, we will get different results. We will stay sober.

Brynn, I am moved by your optimism and belief in your body's ability to heal. I join you in that!

Today was beautiful. Weather was perfect. The time with my mom was really great. She even came to my AA meeting tonight. And I couldn't have been prouder to be her son.

It was a good day.

Love.

Dax
Old 01-20-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Good Morning Littermates.
Erin, you exhibited great strength yesterday and, as Dax said, you modeled reaching out. I hope you embrace your success as a strong foundation for your continued sobriety.
Dax, I am so glad your day with your mom was wonderful. I can feel your glow.

Today is going to be a busy day - I will check in.

Sister Triplets - day 46
Old 01-20-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good morning everyone-
I'm relieved and happy you didn't drink, Erin. I can understand the mixed feelings. I've had a few moments lately when my AV has tried to lie to me that my life is boring and no fun and overwhelming, and that the answer is booze. I tell the beast to shut up and leave me alone. And then I reach out. We are all here for each other - continue to reach out when you need to! Now you are starting day 48, not day one.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am proud of you Erin!! I know you are going to wake up feeling fantastic with a clear head! Thanks for being a example on how to reach out for help.

Dax- I am glad you had fun with your mom yesterday! That is great she came to the AA meeting with you. I love spending time with my family. I feel most like myself.

Brynn- I am glad your feeling better. I hope you enjoy your new running shoes!!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Society tries to romanticize alcohol. All the commercials show is that it makes you more attractive, smarter, funnier. They don't show how alcohol really makes you.
I would rather be boring then act like I used to act! Plus when I am sober I attract the right kind of people not the wrong kind of people. If that means I am the odd woman out and I am not as fun I don't care. I don't want those people as my friends anyways. People tend to use me because I am generous when I am drunk! They probably think I am stuck up now but I don't care. thats my rant for today.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 View Post
Society tries to romanticize alcohol. All the commercials show is that it makes you more attractive, smarter, funnier. They don't show how alcohol really makes you. I would rather be boring then act like I used to act! .
So true!

I remember this share from a guy with 45 years of sobriety. It was four years ago, but it stuck with me. He said he was driving and saw this billboard for Crown Royal. The bottle looked so good to him and the filled glass looked perfect. It was in the hand of a guy wearing a tuxedo and he had his arm around a girl in a beautiful dress. It just showed their torsos and hands, but you knew they were beautiful people.

And this guy with 45 years of sobriety thought, "Yep. That looks pretty good."

Then he thought, "That's the first picture. The last picture is the man out of his mind in rage and jealousy because he's sure the woman was flirting with another man in another tuxedo, the crown royal bottle smashed against a wall, a lamp turned over, kids huddled in the hallway crying."

I didn't relate to the violence in his story because that wasn't part of mine, but I did relate to the illusion smashed. Me vomiting in my bed while my wife tries to wake me. My wife wondering how it's possible that I burned through $250 in one night out, I can't account for it. Wondering what I said to that friend that is making it so tense today. Wishing I hadn't sent that e-mail, or driven, or wondering where this swollen, sprained ankle came from. Not accounting for sections of a night.

The photographer gets the first image of the glass full. We have to fill in the last.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by daxemus View Post

The photographer gets the first image of the glass full. We have to fill in the last.
Exactly they are only showing part of the picture. Thanks for sharing Dax. Someone posted that alcohol is poison in a pretty bottle. That is so true too!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Midwest, I LOVE your rant for today! It's so very true!!
Old 01-20-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Your all a blessing......have a good day

That's the true picture all right DAX Thanks for that!
Old 01-20-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hey guys just checking in. Sorry I haven't been very active over the past couple weeks. Day 36 here. December 14th is my sobriety date. Feeling so good. Had some doubts last night. But all good now.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:47 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hello Team!

I loved what all of you wrote about alcohol being glamorized! There was certainly nothing glamorous about my drinking....unless we are taking a Hunter s Thompson, Charles Bukowski etc type of style.....

Anyway, hope you all are well, I have a busy day ahead, but not a bad one, AA, work, school, yoga.

P.S. BBQ, I think you asked me what I'm taking in school and I forgot to reply!
I study sociology (concentrated in criminology) combined with psych I love it!
This semester I'm only taking 2 classes so I can keep a grip on sobriety, my classes are : politics in the developing world ( Asia, Africa and latin america) and a course on HIV/ AIDS. They're both options outside my major that I haven't completed yet
Old 01-20-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Good morning friends.

Midwest, I could definitely relate to your share. Thanks =)

Erin, I'm glad you came and talked to us last night. Not sure what happened after, but we are still here if you'd like to talk more.

Dax, I loved the last line of your post. Advertisements are always front loaded, I think that's their nature.

Brynnaburger! You'll be running soon sister. When you do, run far and run free.

Have a good day guys.

P.S. - SR Meeting tonight 6pm Pacific/9pm Eastern in the chat room. Sometimes they can be admittedly dry, but I can usually take a tidbit of wisdom there from every meeting.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hey y'all!

I LOVED reading y'all's posts! Would love to see the glamorized ads followed by the real life pics! The before and after photos! I always had such high hopes...I'm kind of a fashionista and love getting dressed up and makeup/hair...it was always so much fun getting ready...but always ended up with makeup running or a broken high heel and of course the ever lovely puking in a dirty club restroom or on the street! Soooo Glamourous darling!! Ugh! So glad those days are in my past! Yay!

Hope everyone has a lovely Tuesday!

Thanks for the reminder tonks!

Going shopping later this afternoon...I'm buying the most expensive running shoes I can find! oh...and my foots still tingling!! Yay!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Hey class... Just a reminder, we will be posting sobriety dates and day counts starting this Sunday for those interested in participating. This will help us identify those in our class and celebrate the milestones.

Simply PM me your sobriety date if you haven't. Thanks!

Dax
Old 01-20-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

I'm really glad to be on day 48 instead of day 1. The problems I had yesterday dont seem so bad today. One day can really make a difference. It's not all rainbows and unicorns but I'm able to focus on the solution rather than the problem. And I dont have that tape of self hatred playing on repeat. Whoever mentioned that yesterday I thank you. (Edit: thank you jsbohdi). It's another day and another chance to start working on myself a little more.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yay Erin!
Old 01-20-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

brynn, tell me what kind of shoes you bought. I bought some the other day. Saucony's and Newton's. I've never had Newton's before. Have you? I haven't run in them yet, but they felt good when I tried them on. I'm so glad your foot is still tingling! You'll be using your new running shoes in no time.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go erin
what did you do with the bottle?

D
Old 01-20-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Originally Posted by keithurbanfan View Post
brynn, tell me what kind of shoes you bought. I bought some the other day. Saucony's and Newton's. I've never had Newton's before. Have you? I haven't run in them yet, but they felt good when I tried them on. I'm so glad your foot is still tingling! You'll be using your new running shoes in no time.
I'm curious as well, I usually stick with new balance or asics personally
Old 01-20-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

My mother in law wanted it so I gave it to her