Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of October 2014 Part 8

Here is the last part:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-7-a.html
Old 01-05-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I got myself some trees today. My sober life has seemed a little lacking lately, but these trees don't look like much yet either. I know that spring will make these trees great. I'm making an effort to be patient as things evolve in my life too.

Now I wish all of you were here to help with the hole diggin'!

Last edited by Mark1014; 01-06-2015 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi all. Just wanted to check in.
Hard to balance the phone cos right arm in a sling.
Very sick and in a lot of pain.
Want to go home today but very unlikely.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Big hugs Venuscat
Hope you get home soon

So sorry folks - I've just jumped into your thread .... I thought it was the December thread.
xxxx
Old 01-05-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So great to hear from you V,

I'm sure sorry you're dealing with the discomfort, but glad you got the procedure behind you!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So sorry you feel so sick and are in pain, Venus. I hope you can rest and feel well enough to get home soon. Hugs to you. gentle hugs.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for checking in V. Glad all went well so far. Gentle :hugs: like phoebe says
Old 01-05-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

V! Great to hear from you! I hope you feel better real soon.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So good to see you Venus! I'm sorry you're in such pain. I'm thinking of you and sending lots of healing vibes your way.

Arbor, Your post about new norms gave me a big smile. That's so awesome!

FAD, Excellent choices for spring in Texas! I can't wait to see how they grow and blossom.

This work stuff is hard after vacation time. I'm beat, but sober. That means it was a great day! Goodnight everyone.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back JL, keep tweaking the plan until you get it right. What do you think happened? Did drinking and cleaning always go hand in hand for you? It definitely did for me. Maybe that's a trigger for you.

I hope everyone's doing well. I had a weird thing come up today. As you guys know, I work in the criminal justice system, and I see a lot of the cases that come through. I was reviewing a file today on a guy who has a series of convictions for beating and stalking his ex girlfriend, and also a DUI. The records in the file explain how manipulative and dishonest he is. I was going through it like any other case, and then I saw a picture of him and recognized him from my meetings. I've talked to him in meetings and liked him, he seemed nice and sincere. Now I'm uncomfortable because people who demonstrate a pattern of violence like that, drunk or not, kinda freak me out. I also worry about the confidentality of the meetings if he's as dismissive of rules as the file indicates. No doubt there are plenty of people in meetings who have similar issues, but this just blew up my blissful ignorance. It's not what I expected from him at all, he seems so docile. I don't know, it's just messing with my head today. I really wish I didn't have to deal with this conflict between my work and my meetings.

That's about it for me, talk to you guys tomorrow!
Old 01-06-2015, 01:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you all so much!!

people can change Briar....when I was drinking and smoking I was an incredibly manipulative and dishonest person. That's a big part of where the disease takes us. It's not who I am...not at all.
just my thoughts.

going home in the morning.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done class of October your all awesome
Old 01-06-2015, 04:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning! I'm already missing my lazy wake-ups over vacation. But I'll be back in the routine in no time.

Dare I say, but here I go... I'm feeling a mindset change from "just don't drink" to "try something new". FAD and Arbor, your comments about looking ahead to more positive, productive activities and life changes have really resonated with me. Thank you.

Venus, I'm so glad you're going home soon. Little V will be so happy to see you!

I'm determined to stay calm, pleasant, and graceful amongst the madness at work today.
Chopin: Relaxation Piano Music

Thanks, Soberwolf! That's one of my very favorite quotes.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Briar I think that person is "docile", because he's either trying to quit or is ordered to do meetings and doesn't want to stand out. That person may just be a abuser/stalker when drinking or the behavior is aggravated. God knows the jerk factor increases when ppl drink too much. Most abusers I ever came across weren't tough guys. Just victims themselves from their own lives, somehow, or someone who hadn't received the necessary rap on the beak, from someone.
Also there are a lot of professional "victims" out there who enable the worst behavior in others. I'm thankful I don't answer 911 calls any longer. I'd be famous by now. Or maybe infamous. Haha !
Back to work this week, and have a PT. Job for this Saturday. Thankful. Thankful in a hole is still thankful.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning Octobers. Having a good start to the week. Sober, and feeling happy about that, rather than deprived. My new mindset. I hope I can maintain that. I had a great sleep, but stayed up wayyy to late, so am tired.

Today is my younger child's bday, so will make him his requested dinner and dessert. he chose apple pie over a birthday cake, which is easy and nice for a change. We have a few gifts for him. I do need to plan a bday party with some friends. I had sworn off parties after age 10(he is 11 today) but he has some new sweet friends, and is a bit shy, so I would like to have them over. Going to try to plan a movie night for a bunch of them here at the house. I am crazy, but going to try it. He really just wants them to all come over. Winter birthdays are hard that way. We cannot count on being able to get outside. Will have to do that later this month. If I stay sober after that party is over, I will be in a really good place! All joking aside, really. That will be challenging. That would be a big trigger.

Off to bake apple pie.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Happy birthday to little person !
Old 01-06-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Venus, hope you're healing goes quickly-
Old 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi gang,

Typical workweek under way here. Kids getting back into school routine of up early, homework etc..
I think they're missing the lazy wake ups too Conquest.

Phoebe, Happy birthday to your son. I know how hectic birthday parties can be, but there is a lot good in the fact that you like his friends and giving him the opportunity to have his buddies over will be worth the effort....especially since he's a little shy. I was really shy as a kid.

V, I know the first few days after surgery can be pretty rough, but it sure is nice to see you around here posting again.

I hope y'all are having a nice, productive week. Looks like several of us are gonna have a chance to crank the furnaces up to high gear pretty quick.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Welcome back JL, keep tweaking the plan until you get it right. What do you think happened? Did drinking and cleaning always go hand in hand for you? It definitely did for me. Maybe that's a trigger for you.
Drinking and cleaning went hand in hand for me too Briar. But then again mostly everything else did too.

And yes FAD. It's pretty darn cold up this way tonight. Got the fire stoked as we speak.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. V I'm so glad you're doing well and going home soon! so much love and well wishes to you!

Phoebe happy birthday to your little one!

I hope all you guys stay warm. It's been down into the low 30s at night here. Mid 60s during the day, though, so not bad.

Thanks for the feedback on the guy in the meetings. I know I should give him the benefit of the doubt that he's trying to get better. I feel like I don't know what to think of people right now.

I saw my therapist today. He zeroed in on my social anxiety, fear of standing up for myself, and general inability to trust and be comfortable with people. I don't really get it, though, because I do have some good friends who I do trust and feel comfortable with, but I don't really understand where that gets me. I can truly talk to them about anything. Why do I still feel isolated and alone? It just doesn't make sense. He asked me all these questions, and I just sat there and stared blankly at the wall. It made me very anxious and uncomfortable, which I guess is good.

I was raised in a very isolated environment, homeschooled way out in the country, dad was very paranoid (and severe alcoholic) and didn't let us around very many people. I have a very normal life now and get on well with others, but I've never felt right in a group of people. I always feel like I'm missing something.

Driving home I had one of the most intense urges to drink since I quit. I had no idea how to calm down. I'm still upset about it, and chugging lavendar tea isn't very effective. Social stuff is my worst insecurity. I'm committed to making progress with this, I just don't know how.

Anyway, there's your megadose of overly personal information. Enjoy!