Notices

Class of October 2014 Part 8

Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

This

FAD's right, V. You will be so much happier when you have a career you enjoy. I worked full time while I went to paralegal school at night, and my husband did the same for a bachelor's degree. You can do it, and I bet the work will even give you a sense of purpose and focus.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Okay guys, now that I can't move and/or feel my face, I'm going to bed. I hope everyone has a good whatever time it is where you are, and we'll talk tomorrow. So glad it's the weekend.

Hang in there V, no major life decisions right now, okay? Just get better. I think you'll find that a lot more seems possible once you get past this rough patch. Love you!
Old 01-09-2015, 10:37 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

love you too!!! sleep well...

i have to enrol. so i need to just make the decision.
what can it hurt? until i pay for the course, it's just an enrolment.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Good morning gang and Happy Saturday!

Quiet start here with both girls away at sleep over with friends and my son will sleep until the crack of noon. Ah youth!

Had my first ever drinking related type dream. I'm at home and people start arriving that I've known through my life. The house ends up packed and I wonder what's the occasion? Then all of a sudden I realize that my mom has arranged the whole thing as a surprise to announce my sobriety. The next thing I notice is that I'm standing there in front of everyone in my underwear. It's pouring rain out but I decide to escape and run away down the street. Soon enough I'm asked to explain to the authorities why I'm out on a rainy night like that not properly dressed. So standing on the street soaking wet, barefoot etc. I tell them it's because I'm celebrating my sobriety and to ask my mom if they don't believe me.

Anyone that knows me well knows that being the center of attention in a group situation is NOT my cup of tea, but I think I'm gonna put a call in to my mother today just in case.....
Old 01-10-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday is right, FAD! Phew! That tough week almost took me out. I had a crazy strong urge out of the blue last night. I'm not sure what triggered it, but it was like it stopped me in my tracks physically and mentally. The good thing is that I immediately acknowledged it as a fruitless craving, not a need that required action. I took an hour nap shortly after so I guess I was just tired. Anyway, it was weird and surprised the heck out of me.

It's still cold and rainy in Texas. I've got a long list of things to do indoors. Awhile back, I mentioned that I was making some happy space in my little place for relaxation time. That project was put on the back burner so I think I'll take another look at decluttering that space today. Getting rid of the old and anything that visually triggers negative feelings from my past has been a truly wonderful gift with the new year. I'm going to keep at it.

Be well today, friends! Lotsa love your way
Old 01-10-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Good morning Conquest,

You've inspired me on the decluttering. My version of a 'man cave' is my study and I'm pretty bad about letting the mail pile up into a mess that needs sorting, shredding etc.. Gonna hit the gym and then use the forecast of rain later in the weekend to sit in there, listen to tunes, hang out on SR, and clean up!

I hope you have a great day.....btw are your workouts going ok?
Old 01-10-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I start school Monday...I have been enrolled for two years, lol!! Yesterday I found myself stressing over a major. Who cares?? It's the first semester, I can change it whenever. But my brain wouldn't shut off. Now I have a cold or something and being upright seems like a chore. Congrats to all the sober numbers on here. I'm going to TRY and at least get basic stuff done today

Jennifer
Old 01-10-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Sober Friday, and sober this am, no hangover. Good way to start a Saturday. Slept well, and went to bed sort of early. Read for awhile.

I have so much cleaning to do. Correct that. WE have so much to do! I plan to be a Biotch and get everyone involved today! But basketball schedules complicate things. I may have to get started on my own. My teen is sleeping in, and she deserves it after a long week. She plays a sport and had a busy few days. Son is off playing his game but will be back soon.

I think I just need to pick a spot and begin. Sink it is.

My AV will be begging for a reward tonight. Putting it out there for accountability. Much as it hates me for doing so.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Reading over posts, lots going on!
Busy busy on a parttime job on a med truck at a racetrack. Will post later.
Love you guys ! Each and every one.
Day 7 !
Old 01-10-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I'm wrong it's like 9-10, dumb, don't even know what the date is
Old 01-10-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

JL,

Despite living in the south, I've never been to NASCAR etc.. Are you enjoying that job? I'm not cut out for emergency type services of any sort. One second calm and the next all heck breaks loose. Glad there are guys like you there when bad things do happen.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:17 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post

i have to enrol. so i need to just make the decision.
what can it hurt? until i pay for the course, it's just an enrolment.
V,

Are you having second thoughts about your career choice?...or is it the idea of juggling work with your studies, time management etc.?
Old 01-10-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Let's see how many hands-holding-tea avatars I can come up with

JL - I agree with FAD, I am grateful for people like you. I think about that a lot because I see all the police reports, so I know what you see when you get there. Usually you guys are there before the cops, so you have things somewhat tidied up. As a first responder, you see some horrible stuff, and you get right in there. You are incredibly tough to do the work you do, and you deserve respect and gratitude. Very few people in this world can do what you do.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Grateful for Briars hands holding tea avatars!
Old 01-10-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Yep, that's definitely a nice Briar winter avatar! I've been working outside today, so I'm feeling inspired to get myself a mug of warm beverage.
I think neither of my daughters must have slept much at their respective sleep overs....so I've got a house full of grumpy girls. Arbor, if you have a baby girl prepare to be completely wrapped around a dainty little finger (it's great)!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
V,

Are you having second thoughts about your career choice?...or is it the idea of juggling work with your studies, time management etc.?
only time management.
i've taken the day off SR today..just turned on the computer at 4.30pm...
i walked for a while, and sat on the beach.

the truth is....if i put the time in that i spend on here i could maybe do it.
but i can't do all of it. i don't know....i am scaring myself. thinking about all of the mistakes i have made; i always screw up. could this be the time i don't?

hmmm.

love to everyone.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

V, This absolutely could be the time that you achieve your goal. Yes, you'll have to adjust and shift, but we are made for change. Our brains are malleable. We just have to be willing to go with it. I'm excited for your upcoming opportunity and hope you're healing up quickly. Some sun and salt air therapy sounds heavenly. Big hugs, dear friend.

And FAD, I haven't gotten into the whole strength training routine because I guess I don't know where to start. I just got a book, The New Rules of Lifting for Women, and it gives some great guidance. For now, I'm just getting to the gym for elliptical time and doing body weight exercises at home. I can tell a difference in the way I feel and the way my clothes fit so that's very motivating.

Ended up away from home a lot yesterday, so still checking away on this to do list today. Have a happy, healthy Sunday y'all!
Old 01-11-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Smile

V,

There's business term which defines some things as a 'sunk cost'. For example let's say that in 1984 a company purchased at great expense a factory that can only make purple widgets. The factory is now in need of repairs but the market for purple widgets has all but dried up. That factory has been the pride of the company in the past, shouldn't they spend a little more on it to keep in running at top capacity? Of course not, any prior expenditures are now a sunk cost and any further investment in the making of purple widgets is wasteful and useless. The time has come to scrap the old factory and invest wisely for the future.

V, at this point I think that when you look at your past mistakes and let those mistakes limit the future you can build, you're putting further resources into a sunk cost. Time is going to pass for all of us no matter what. If this is a career that you want, go for it....otherwise you'll look back one day and think 'if only I had.....'.

It's difficult for me sometimes to look back at pictures of me and my children from years gone by. We have lots of good memories but I look at myself in those smiling pictures and know that I was not 100% there for my family for a long time. It's heart wrenching, and it's also a sunk cost. Other than perhaps helping me to keep my focus, I am really making an effort to leave the negative behind.

I'm not going to limit or define my future by the significance of my past mistakes and I encourage you to get excited about the possibilities! I'm pumped about the future! Nothing changes if nothing changes right?

Conquest, I would enjoy a little beach therapy myself right about now!
Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

FAD, wow! Thank you for this.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:59 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

FAD, great analogy. Love that message. I need to plan a future. I am afraid to fail as well.

I have been so long away from my work to raise the kids that I am now terrified to get back into it. A part of me wonders if I can manage the time, balance with still caring for my kids and home. But I feel so stagnant. The income would be nice too. College is 3.5 years away for my oldest...