Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 15

Old 01-06-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
hello team a. I'm over in the december class now. Stopping by to say howdy.
hi!! 😜
Old 01-06-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hiya team A! Great day today, unexpectedly got promoted! Leading a large team of great folks now.

Strange thing, my AV woke up and jumped all over me!! Said, "see you are okay now, I think you can moderate going forward. Why not have a few beers to celebrate"

Wow, it does play dead doesn't it. Reading everyone's posts helped put it back to sleep. Thank you.

We all know why good things are happening in our lives now. It is quite the coincidence huh!!

August strong!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Congratulations Determined! Not a coincidence my friend
Old 01-06-2015, 11:22 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Scooter, losing 18 lbs is amazing!!!! Well done!!!! enjoy downton abbey!!!!
Rah and dry hope you’re doing ok, great posts last night!
Max and penkins, great to see you check in, so glad you guys are ok, we miss you lots!!!
Determind great that you downloaded the book, let me know what you think, i think it looks a good read!! Congratulations on your promotion!! Wouldn’t have got that whilst on the pop, your life is getting better all the time, you earnt this, well done my friend! Pesky av is a sneaky little so and so, don’t you dare give your life back to it!!!
Napster, the article was good! Makes me wish i had tested more of myself before i quit so i can look at before and after results!!
Chris good to see you. Playing the tape forward is a sure way to fizzle out the fuse of desire!!!
London, Romania is on my list you lucky devil, can i come??!! Its great that you have that to look forward to. 5 months for you, how blooming fantastic is that?? Good luck at the dentist. You have given me a little courage to go back. I have a terrible fear, and youve helped me to find the courage to book an appointment, thank you.
Ultra, great quote! Ive written it in my diary, there are so many of my patients that quote will help, thank you.
Penkins, pie and shopping sounds just the ticket!!!

I have booked a holiday is September to a little island in the English channel called sark. It is tiny and has no cars. Great for spotting seals and puffins. Classed as one of the best places in the world to see the starry sky at night. Lots of tranquil walks and tea shops, also have booked to go coasteering and sea kayaking eeeeek!!!! Its not my typical holiday destination, but as weve just bought the house we wanted something cheaper and closer to home. We still go by plane so it still feels like we are going abroad ha!!!

You will have seen the news today about the hospital crisis no doubt. I have a busy week ahead with some very long days. Wish me luck! And please don’t worry, its not as terrible as the media says, we are still treating everybody that needs treating, thats what we do. Basically we are encouraging people with colds to try over the counter things as we are so very busy. We are not not doing our job as the news just portrayed, nor are we turning ill people away. Grrrr. Rant over
Have a great day folk, must go, sausage is meowing his little whiskers off – it must be breakfast time!

Much love xxx
Old 01-07-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Good morning,

It is great to hear from so many! I took Scooter to the beach to walk this morning; it is very cold here, but the forecast is for sub-zero temps tomorrow, so poor Scooter will be going outside to do what he has to do and turning right around. It is times like this I wish I had the underground dog fence, but I worry about coyotes, so there is no way I would ever let him outside alone.

I will post later; I am trying a new class at the Y, and I am running late because of the long walk this morning.

Have a happy, safe and sober day everyone.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
I posted this on the newcomers board today since I thought it was appropriate. I'm sharing it here since we're recognizing the 'gain' part at this point in our journey. Stay vigilant folks!

"One reason people resist change is because they focus on what they have to give up, instead of what they have to gain."
Ultra I love this quote thank you SO much !!
This is the exact reason I attend LifeRing meetings. They do not focus on tearing down the alcoholic (what you have to lose) as much as they focus on building up the sober person (what you have to gain) !!
Great stuff thank you for sharing this quote !!!!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Hi all

Just doing a quick check in, I will check in properly and write some more to Team A later on. I am sober and happy!

Determined - many congrats on the promotion. If your motivational ability in real life is anything like your posts here you are going to do just great and have one driven team !
Old 01-07-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Hey TeamA!

All our schools are closed today due to the dangerously cold temperatures. Windchill of 30 to 40 degrees below zero. The college I teach at in Chicago is also closed so I am having a fun "cold" day inside with my kids. We are going to play "Just Dance" on the Wii and then play and watch movies all day. .

London and Pink - you have inspired me to make not just a travel wish list but a real plan to travel in 2015. Last year I traveled to Florida for my brother's wedding but otherwise I would not have thought I could afford to travel. It ended up working out fine and my kids and I were so happy we went.I would love to travel to Thailand, London, Spain, Ireland, Iceland, Norway...a more realistic list would be: California, Oregon, Washington, Georgia, Kentucky...any trip would be good for my soul. I read that just planning the trip brings most of the happiness plus I could use something to look forward to in these depressing temperatures.

Determined - congrats on your promotion!

London - Congrats on 5 months!!! Oh yeah! That's how we do it here on Team A!

ScooterBoo - Stay warm! Thanks for your daily posts and thoughtfulness. You continue to inspire me.

Ultra - I love that quote! Similar theme to the quote in my signature. That has been one of the main differences this time around for me - focusing on improving the present and therefore the future instead of what went wrong in the past - been very motivating! It also helps me to deal with the guilt and shame I have about my drinking past. I definitely feel excited about what I have to gain by being sober. Thank you!

Max and Perkins and Apple - Great to hear from y'all! Hang in there!

ClearEyes, DoingSomething, thedryoutdrsmn, rah, Napster1 - keep doin' what you are doin'!

Old 01-07-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

grateful, great post. yay, plan a holiday!!!!!! its fun and exciting to plan it, gives you hope and anticipation as you wait for it, and then you get to have the holiday!!! I think its a great idea, get on the internet and have a look at what you fancy. holidays always make me cheerful :-)
Old 01-07-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calichris View Post
Ultra I love this quote thank you SO much !!
This is the exact reason I attend LifeRing meetings. They do not focus on tearing down the alcoholic (what you have to lose) as much as they focus on building up the sober person (what you have to gain) !!
Great stuff thank you for sharing this quote !!!!
Hey calichris! I really want to learn more about LifeRing. I am pretty sure there are none near me but I am going to look into starting a meeting here in Chicago.

Hope you are finding time to take care of yourself...I know you have been very busy taking care of others!
Old 01-07-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grateful11 View Post
Hey calichris! I really want to learn more about LifeRing. I am pretty sure there are none near me but I am going to look into starting a meeting here in Chicago.

Hope you are finding time to take care of yourself...I know you have been very busy taking care of others!
Hey Grateful !
Yes the unfortunate thing is that LifeRing does not have many locations.
You can find them here:
Find a Meeting - LifeRing

I love that AA works for so many but I fundamentally disagree with some of their foundational beliefs.
To each his/her own. Whatever keeps us sober. I find that I align extremely well with LifeRing.

'Smart Recovery' is another great non-AA alternative but also is in limited cities. You can check them out also!

PS- I am taking care of myself by playing lots of tennis after work and before heading home. It is my way of getting a natural high from the endorphines of a major cardio workout and it is a great stress relief mechanism as is most exercise. Thank you for asking !!
Old 01-07-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hey all

I am safely over in Europe again and ready for phase two of dental work tomorrow.

Sorry work is tough Pink. I don't believe a word of what the politicians are saying about the health stuff. All I see medical staff ever do is their absolute best everyday and I know from nursing friends many of you will work extra for patients outside of hours. God bless the NHS truly! We do need to get people with colds to man up a little and stop wasting resources as a nation! And for the politicians to stop bitching at each other. Ooh, mini rant from me too! Lol.

Grateful - please plan a trip! You are right, it's so much fun. I do a stack of research, all the trip advisor stuff and then challenge myself to beat the first price as much as possible through cash back sites and the like. I like the planning as much as the holiday!!

Interesting some of you guys are talking about life-ring - there are only a couple of those in the UK. The alcohol centre where I attend my CBT has just got accreditation for rational recovery so I am hoping to try that.

I still attend three AA meetings but like to add extra stuff as much as I can. Some in AA say their way is the only way which does wind me up, so I hear you chris - bow-locks to them I say - my recovery and my plan!! A couple of guys said to me once 'avoid the web and forums' to which I was able to confidently say 'actually I wouldn't have ever come to AA or continued coming without forum support' I guess just as in real life I won't agree with everyone in AA.

I fully support each and every to their own! Whatever works hey?

Scooter - stay warm there :-) And grateful too...I do love a snow closure day. Lucky me gets to stay at home when we do.

Hoping everyone is having a safe sober (and warm) day!
Old 01-07-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Greetings!

Determined, CONGRATULATIONS on your promotion.

Napster, after reading that article, I am going to ask my doctor for a print out of last year's and this year's blood results to compare.

Grateful, I still remember how much I loved a snow day when I was in school! Our forecast is for high winds, light snow and windchill temp of 30 below.

Chris, I went to one OA meeting with a neighbor in Boston years ago because she wanted to try it but did not want to go alone, and I did not like the format at all. That is why I would not try AA. I will read up on LifeRing.

Max and Apple, please keep posting. I miss hearing from both of you.

Penkins, the ScooterBoo way would be to put ice cream, and possibly hot fudge on that piece of pie. It worked for me.

London, good luck at the dentist. Glad you like the monthly resolution idea.

Pink, I was not aware there is a problem with the politicians mouthing off about the health care. I think nurses, primary care givers and teachers all deserve much higher pays and MUCH greater respect than they get.

Have a great evening everyone.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Day 67! 1 slip in the last 102 days!!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi everyone so good to see familiar names again, ive had a struggle over xmas and new year, all I can hope for is to find the strength to start again on the recovery path. love to you all. x
Old 01-07-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Quick good night guys! Thanks so much for the congrats. I don't think it would have happened without cleaning my life up. You all were critical to helping me do that, so thanks for listening and being my rock!

This class has truly changed our lives. Here's to on line forums!!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

1step so good too see you my friend, happy new year to you. How's things honey? Greatly see you post, we've missed you!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:02 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

scooter and London, thanks for the support regarding work. we are just extra busy. Lucky I love my job eh?! Im about to leave again now.

1step, you still ok? keep posting, talk to us, let us know youre there and ok, let us know if day 1 was a good one x

London i wish you well on your dental trip. I am terrified of the dentist but had to go on Tuesday due to debilitating pain. I have an abcess. they have given me amoxicillin and metronidazole. if it doesn't get better they will lance and drain it. ultimately i need a roopt canal or extraction. both sound horrendous, and im paying for the privelidge ha!!

so toothache and gallstones are my current gifts. have been up since 3 with the pain, hence my earlier to post to 1step at silly o clock. I wont let it get me down though. Im sober, and that trumps it!!!! Jst working out my days and think its 133, or 4 months and 9 days. Im losing track ha! yay!!!

Today I am grateful for:

-antibiotics and painkillers
-the relentless 24 hour FREE nhs
-breakfast tv
-my mortgage offer has been granted, hurrah!
-fair weather
-honeyed porridge
-not thinking of drink every single day - when did that happen?
-ticking the '0 units' box on the dentist questionnaire about drinking
-watching someone at work with a hangover yesterday and feeling smug. it may sound
evil and immoral but at least im being honest.
-support from my family and friends, and you beautiful people here - you guys are my
rocks.
-time to do things other than brush my teeth in the morning! load of washing in,
bathroom cleaned, and a few more house bits packed already and its 7am.
-catching up with friends next sunday lunch and not automatically thinking 'lunch? how
boring, why cant we go clubbing and get plastered?' really looking forward to lunch
and exchanging late Christmas prezzies!

have a great day everybody, thinking of you all my friends.

Love, Linz xxx
Old 01-07-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

scooter and London, thanks for the support regarding work. we are just extra busy. Lucky I love my job eh?! Im about to leave again now.

1step, you still ok? keep posting, talk to us, let us know youre there and ok, let us know if day 1 was a good one x

London i wish you well on your dental trip. I am terrified of the dentist but had to go on Tuesday due to debilitating pain. I have an abcess. they have given me amoxicillin and metronidazole. if it doesn't get better they will lance and drain it. ultimately i need a roopt canal or extraction. both sound horrendous, and im paying for the privelidge ha!!

so toothache and gallstones are my current gifts. have been up since 3 with the pain, hence my earlier to post to 1step at silly o clock. I wont let it get me down though. Im sober, and that trumps it!!!! Jst working out my days and think its 133, or 4 months and 9 days. Im losing track ha! yay!!!

Today I am grateful for:

-antibiotics and painkillers
-the relentless 24 hour FREE nhs
-breakfast tv
-my mortgage offer has been granted, hurrah!
-fair weather
-honeyed porridge
-not thinking of drink every single day - when did that happen?
-ticking the '0 units' box on the dentist questionnaire about drinking
-watching someone at work with a hangover yesterday and feeling smug. it may sound
evil and immoral but at least im being honest.
-support from my family and friends, and you beautiful people here - you guys are my
rocks.
-time to do things other than brush my teeth in the morning! load of washing in,
bathroom cleaned, and a few more house bits packed already and its 7am.
-catching up with friends next sunday lunch and not automatically thinking 'lunch? how
boring, why cant we go clubbing and get plastered?' really looking forward to lunch
and exchanging late Christmas prezzies!

have a great day everybody, thinking of you all my friends.

Love, Linz xxx
Old 01-08-2015, 01:08 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Congratulations on the promotion Determined, very well done and I know what you mean about it playing dead!

Always interesting to read others thoughts on AA, I've been a couple of times and left feeling a little deflated in a way, I should try a different meeting I think. I also feel the "Our way or it's the Road to Ruin" approach abit constricting. There's a part of me that feels that if it's my problem I should be the one to hold the key to sorting it rather than ceding to some higher power - cos what if that higher power lets me down? (and what is it anyway?). That said though the little gems of wisdom you get from the meetings are very useful indeed. One of my favourite is "when I was drinking, one half of my brain was dedicated to manufacturing BS and the other half dedicated to believing it) which sums up for me the way AV runs you - like "Oh, something goods happened, you deserve a drink!

I think alot of drinkers are impulsive sensation seekers - I certainly am and therefore have a hard coded - Do Something Good, Get Something Good - circuit in our heads. Giving up drinking runs contrary to this as you Do Something Good and you aren't then allowed the quick fix sensation of a slug of booze.

This is why it's so important to set goals and track them so you can be thankful when you achieve them, I should do more and it's great to see so much of this on this thread.

Have a great day :o)