Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 15

Old 02-04-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Evening all

I had a relaxing evening, currently doing some more trip research! I also got a decent run in which was great.

Today at work was a rough day, but it feels now I have some tools to ride on through it and not trigger. So all good.

Thanks to Team A for the nice congrats messages. Love celebrating milestones with everyone - 1 day or 100 days. Inspires me to keep doing this stuff.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Greetings!

London, Congratulations

Ultra, Congratulations on the award and the new dog.

Choobie, I hope you are feeling better.

1Step and ee, PLEASE listen to Pink; I don't think any of us could have said it any better.

Greetings to everyone else. I never got a chance to post this morning because my cat, Mr. Boomerang, ran out the door when I took Scooter out, and it took two hours and a can of tuna to get him back in....this is the stray cat that kept sneaking in until I adopted him; now he keeps trying to sneak out!

I am on my way to book club - - hopefully I will have something funny to report - - maybe not as good as the "no more spicy food for you" reprimand, but you never know!

Take care everyone.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back ee

D
Old 02-04-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Ee and 1step. Take a minute to calm your mind and reflect on who you want to be. Get the visual firmly in your mind and don't let it go. No matter what stress or bad things happen. Do not let it go. Keep that image in your mind as a guiding flame that will not go out. Ever. You will want to give in. Go to that image of who you want to be and it will push you forward.

You will realize sooner than you think that the image in the mirror matches that vision. You will get there. You will astonish people. You can do this. Believe in yourself.

We will be here when doubt creeps in and your legs get heavy. Just reach out. Lean back and we will catch you.

Pause, breathe and get that visual. You are worth it.

Love.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Good morning all!

Hope everyone is doing well. Keep posting!

On the early train to work and ready for a better day than yesterday :-)

Wishing everyone a great day too
Old 02-04-2015, 11:43 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Hi everyone...

Lots of very supportive words on here which is very helpful. I don't have a lot of self worth at the moment, and hope that that will improve with sobriety. I don't have a lot of belief that I can stay sober, but I 100% want to this time. I have managed a few months in the past, so the will power must be there, somewhere.

Im going to really commit to this forum, and come back every day to check in.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Ladies and gentlemen its "Thunder lips" Thursday. Can I get a holla!!

I remembered this morning a reflection I used to have every time I would get some solid sober time behind me and go back into thinking I was missing something that was life affirming from a beer tap. I would be into full on drinking and dealing with the lovely depression and self loathing. I would think, man, I was so happy during that time I was sober. I really was. Man I want that again.

I realized this morning that I am in that sober space. That happy space. I can skip the bait and switch promise from the beer tap. No matter how many days you have, just realize that if you slip you are gonna look back at where you are now and want this happiness again. So why leave it?

Also thinking about how I sometimes hold back on taking a vacation or buying something, or just taking a few minutes to put my face to the sun and smile. So today's quote is simple but poignant;

"While we are postponing, life speeds by." Seneca.

Wake up and live.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:24 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Good morning,

EE, at the beginning it is day by day, but more like minute by minute at times. In time, your self-esteem will improve, and the desire for a drink will decrease. You will notice your skin, eyes and hair looking much better, and you will realize you are sleeping better and have more energy. And, as Determined pointed out, these are feelings you do not want to lose....there is nothing like sobriety -- take it from someone who drank for 25+ years....There is nothing like it.

Keep on keeping on.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Checking in on day 7, great words of wisdom and inspiration on here, thank you for still believing class. I will do this, its a beautiful sunny day here, and although Im still having waves of anger and remorse at myself for relapsing Im trying to focus on the here and now and what I can do for the best day by day, I had planned on buying a vehicle for me to start my own business this month but have to put those plans on hold for now whilst I concentrate on recovery and then slowly trying to get money together again to fulfil my dreams and plans.

Someone told me yesterday to hate the illness and not myself and that's what Im trying to do- not easy though!! Got a counselling session this evening and then an AA meeting straight after so am prepared for a clean sober day.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  

You made a great choice coming back EE.

I totally understand that some folks choose to join current classes since folks are experiencing similar issues. And there's merit in that.

Your opportunity is to connect with a bunch of folks who are not all that far removed from where you are beginning your present journey.

So, you have the best of both worlds. Stay active! Consider committing to spending 10 minutes twice a day for the next thirty days checking in with the group. You don't need to write an essay. A simple "here!" Is fine.

This commitment will serve you well.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hellllooooo team August!!!!

WOW I have SO much catching up to do....

..first, and most importantly, I am still 100% on track and sober and loving everything it brings me (even the bad stuff is so much easier to deal with without the poison affecting my mood and stability).

I am SO sorry for not posting lately.
I have been dealing with extra hours at work, taking care of my 85 year old parents, and loads of other things I can barely keep my head above water, but being sober I am actually doing it with a certain calmness I could never have if I were drinking to "cope".

I have been going to 1-2 f2f meetings per week. Helps keep me "tuned up" and "tuned in" to the right frequency of sobriety. Great to be in a room with other people who "get it". After all I can talk to my wife about it (addiction) until I am blue in the face and she will nod but never fully understand it from our perspective.

I love you all with all my heart and please know that even if I don't post much lately I am still 100% commited to a lifetime of sobriety and you guys and gals are a HUGE part of what got me past the hardest part (the first few months I call the "blast-off" stage).

I have a little app that keeps count of my sobriety and here is what it says today:
day # 178
weeks : 25.43
months: 5.93
years : 0.49

Looking forward to celebrating 6 months next Thursday with my beautiful wife she is taking me out for a very special dinner to celebrate.

Love you all !
-Chris
Old 02-05-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Morning All.

181 days for me, and like Ultra said recently, I am on a similar "maintenance" track. Ironically, I am frequently around AL these days; at parties, various events, even at home when my adult children are over, and there is simply not the slightest thought or desire for a drink. The thought of AL makes me gag. To use an analogy, it's like radishes. I really can't stand them- so, I could be constantly around them, but knowing I don't like them, the thought of eating one, simply doesn't happen. Yuk- gives me indigestion to even think about them. Sorry, to any of you who are radish devotees!

For those of you who are still struggling with craving/temptations, two thoughts:

First, the concept of developing sober muscles is real. Each and every day that we stay away from AL, the sober muscle builds, bit by bit, which means that desire/craving/ even thoughts about AL, progressively and steadily diminish. I think it was about 90 to 100 days, when I felt the physical and any mental cravings solidly end.

Second, L-Glutamine (I have mentioned this here many times before). I know we are not supposed to endorse any "medical" solutions here on SR, but, this is a wonderful natural amino acid and I used it liberally for the first 60 days or so, when the cravings were still something I needed to deal with. Worked like a charm every time.

Pink- I was really touched by your poem a couple of days ago. A very winsome and compassionate reflection on those souls among us who are facing that challenge.

I don't post much these days, because I'm not too sure I have much to add to the conversation. But, I follow what is going on here a lot. I admire those who have struggled, and yet come back to re-join the group (you know who I am referring to). This is an admirable sign of courage and character. I firmly know that those individuals will succeed.

Best, Mike
Old 02-05-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Hey TeamA! Just a quick check-in.

CaliChris - Great to see you checkin! I knew you were busy but relieved to know all is well.

London - Hope your work day is better today! I still struggle with work related triggers - usually just focus on getting straight home and then I am fine now.

ee - You are doing great; keep on keeping on! You can do this. Just take it one step at a time. Keep posting.

1StepUp - Yes, this is a horrible illness - mentally and physically - look at how many of us have been through the same issues with it! It is definitely not you so please take that advice and love and forgive yourself. You are worth it!

Glandon - good to see you today!

Determined - I love that quote! I have been reading the book "Awareness" by Anthony DeMello that a member from the August 2013 class recommended to me when we started this journey back in August 2014. It's message is to basically "wake up and live" instead of just getting through each day.

Today I am grateful for:
  • continuous employment
  • my cozy little apartment
  • my fake fireplace (DVD of a fire with sound effects)
  • really good french roast coffee
  • singing cheesy 80's songs with my teenage children
  • learning how to play guitar
  • dance

Hugs to each of you! We can do this!
Old 02-05-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

glandon and chris, awesome to see you guys!!!!! made my day!!! thanks for the kind words anout my poem glandon. chris, your celebration sounds perfect :-)

1step has 1 week today!!!! well done my friend, real proud, you've turned a corner. things are very different now from this time last week! keep going xxx

London I have another dental abcess. give me strength!!!! I might ask santa for some dentures if this goes on much longer!!! awesome news on the holiday researching, you spotted anything?

ee how you doing today? keep posting xxx

cute, give us a check in, coming up for 2 weeks now! you ok? work ok?

grateful your fire dvd sounds really relaxing! how you doing? all ok?

determind! HOLLA! im here, living it up as best I can, hope youre ok, love todays quote :-)

im on more antibiotics for my teeth. am on first names terms with the chemist now, getting to the point whre I might go there for coffee I knw them so bloody well now! my previous abdomen pains have been diagnosed as a stomach ulcer, so am on pills for that now too. im falling apart!! not in spirit though! all healed from the car accident.
no news this end, im studying mostly, l want to rise my fitness but no time and not well enough, will do so when feeling better.

keep t it people, we have earnt feeling good when we wake up, and feeling accomplished when we go to bed. nobody can take that away from us. ive forgotten my days which makes me smile. will work it out later :-) must be just over 5 months now.

thank you all for your support and for keeping me sober xx love you guys xxx
Old 02-05-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

Hi All

Hope you're all doing well,

My first proper big deal at new company is in the final throes of closing which is great but also incredibly nerve racking, constantly wired and expecting the "please see me in my office Mr N and explain exactly why you've sold this solution at a massive loss" phone call / email - AV is looking for that "just one drink would stop all the panic" angle. I'm trying to focus on the happyness and relief that will come once we wrap this up...((but what if it doesn't and it all goes wrong you'll have proved that not only is Drunk Mr N a car crash waiting to happen but Sober Mr N is also a mile high stack of c**p too))...

*sigh*

There are also rumours of the company using tracking software on everyone's laptops to see what they're up to including web access so I've been abit reluctant to post here as often as I used to - nothing sinister on my part!
Old 02-05-2015, 02:44 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Thanks Pink! Made it through another day, feeling so much better than this time last week, early days but Im more determined than ever to do this. x
Old 02-05-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some seriously great milestones here - congrats guys

Time for a new thread tho - join us here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-16-a.html

D