Notices

Class of January 2015

Old 12-31-2014, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of January 2015

Welcome everyone!

this is the support thread for everyone who wants to quit drugs, alcohol or any kind of addiction this month of January 2015

come and join us!

The December thread & The December group is now here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/354257-class-december-2014-part-3-a-16.html

The January thread is usually pretty big - but don't be be put off - more members means more support!

D
Old 12-31-2014, 10:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unsure

So, I drink every day. I like at least a 6 pack or 12 pack of beer per day. I only drink in the evening. It does not interfere with my job or my family. My biggest concern is that I know it's not good for my health and I know it's expensive. I don't think I have some dark secret that I'm covering up with my drinking, I just really like to drink beer. I don't want to quit completely. Has anyone learned to curtail the amount they drink, and if so how? I have stopped for years in the past and I can skip days at a time and be okay. I guess I feel guilty about my drinking, but I'm also really okay with it at the same time. I don't know if this makes sense to anyone. Just felt the need to reach out today.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Joining if you will have me. Freakin failed so I missed the lessons. Humbled down.
Not even sure what to say. Dee, hello is all I have.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi SJ - welcome

you'll find that most of us here tried to cut down and failed pretty dismally.
Have you tried to cut back before?

The good news is if you decide to go 'all in', you can still have fun and have a great life sober - that may sound like a load of bull to you now, but I swear it's true

Hey pat - hello is a good start

I'm still not in a butt kicking mood tho - you must know pretty much what you need to do, man?

D
Old 12-31-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No wait I have a few left.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

a few drinks?

it'd be a great statement of intent for 2015 to toss those down the sink Pat. To hell with them

D
Old 12-31-2014, 11:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee if you can delete my Alcohol driven post, please.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
a few drinks? it'd be a great statement of intent for 2015 to toss those down the sink Pat. To hell with them D
Ok man. I can do that.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

drink some water, try and get some rest.

The new year is a great time to start afresh Pman

D
Old 12-31-2014, 11:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So far I've had nothing to drink in 2015. Almost a day down.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
So far I've had nothing to drink in 2015. Almost a day down.
Thanks for helping me
Old 12-31-2014, 11:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Kimura - and well done

D
Old 12-31-2014, 11:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Rest, water, ok! Time to lay down, throw out what is left, make this day one, year one.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

awesome
Old 12-31-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, all!

Happy New Year and welcome and re-welcome to SR!

I am from class October 2012, and it is my third sober New Year and the third New Year with SR. This place rocks!

SJ - I used to me someone like you, only my choice of drink was wine. I liked enjoying a couple of glasses after a long and stressful day at work. Then something more on weekends. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I could go without drinks for 2-3 weeks if needed or felt like this. Long story short - I still had problem which at some moment slipped out of control and turned into a bottle of wine every other day (for me it was too much). I fooled myself enough telling that "lots of people do like this" or "I just need to cut it down". I couldn't. Finally I decided to stop. And don't regret it a bit. Don't play with addiction, once it's out of a jar, it will be damn hard to battle. Though still possible. Best wishes to you.

Thepatman - Just stay sober today. Post here. Focus on the moment - every sober moment will build up your strength in sobriety and will move your through this hard time.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, all! Happy New Year and welcome and re-welcome to SR! I am from class October 2012, and it is my third sober New Year and the third New Year with SR. This place rocks! SJ - I used to me someone like you, only my choice of drink was wine. I liked enjoying a couple of glasses after a long and stressful day at work. Then something more on weekends. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I could go without drinks for 2-3 weeks if needed or felt like this. Long story short - I still had problem which at some moment slipped out of control and turned into a bottle of wine every other day (for me it was too much). I fooled myself enough telling that "lots of people do like this" or "I just need to cut it down". I couldn't. Finally I decided to stop. And don't regret it a bit. Don't play with addiction, once it's out of a jar, it will be damn hard to battle. Though still possible. Best wishes to you. Thepatman - Just stay sober today. Post here. Focus on the moment - every sober moment will build up your strength in sobriety and will move your through this hard time.
will do.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

If it helps others find the Anchor. Bless you all. Good night.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IusPw_tz2JA
Old 12-31-2014, 11:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

welcome all - last new year's eve I spent it in rehab. This year I fell asleep watching netflix before the ball dropped. I haven't had a drink in just over a year. Put your mind to it and your best effort. It's well worth it. I'm what some may call a one chip wonder. But it's no wonder at all. I refused to let alcohol ever affect my life since it came crashing down one night. You can too! Make 2015 the best year ever!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon Patman!
Old 01-01-2015, 12:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Happy New Year to all the Januarians 2015 from the class of January 2013!
At the beginning of my sober journey this time around, my class was my anchor.
I had my AA meetings in real time and SR/the class of January for online support.
Lean on and support each others: you guys can do it so don't give up before the miracle happens!
Old 01-01-2015, 12:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi guys, I'm excited to be here, starting over. I had 100 days last spring/summer but then decided to see if I could drink occasionally and, well, you know the rest! So, I'm trying to up my game this time. Joining a daily support thread is part of that. I've been sober since Dec 30 but decided it made more sense to wait and join the Jan '15 thread.

I also plan to do in-person aa meetings and get on an antidepressant that works for me.

Nice to meet you all!