Notices

Class of January 2015

Old 01-01-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good luck all , I was here 3 years ago and in about 12 days I will be 3 years sober.

It most definitely can be done.

Stare at a wall all day be bored senseless count sheep do whatever , just grind out the bad days and give your self enough sober time to get to a place where you can make it out of the alcohELL prison. Not a cliche but it really does get easier and so much better even though early days may not feel like this(at times).

Good luck and welcome to the cool side

Also If I may reccomend, Jason Vale kick the drink easily, really helped my mindset.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day One

I'd also like to join this class. Not my first class but I want it to be my last. I didn't get crazy drunk last night or anything--two ciders early in the evening and a glass of champagne just before midnight--but that's the exception more than the rule lately. I want to get off this crazy, depressing, pointless treadmill of work, eat, drink, sleep, repeat.

No big plans for today. I was supposed to work but the roads and sidewalks here have been covered in thick sheets of ice for two days now. I braved it into work yesterday morning (one of only three people at my job to do so) but it took me over an hour (normally 10 minutes at most) to get home with a couple of near-crashes thrown in the mix so I'm not going to even try today. My boss sounded resigned when I called in. He's just going to have to suck it up and close for the day, I think. My West Texas town only gets ice and snow maybe twice a year at most so people here just don't know how to drive on it or deal with it in any way.

I am planning on getting back into the AA meeting swing but because of the ice that won't be happening today either. So I'll probably find an online meeting recording to listen to in the meantime. Spend the rest of the day just staying warm while reading and watching television.

Happy New Years to everyone. I want 2015 to be a year of change and growth for me and know that being an active member here on SR is one way to make that happen. Thanks for letting me back in and I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi, all, I was here before some years ago. I've quit a few times this year which lasted maybe a couple weeks, but now I'm determined to stop completely. I was 10 days sober until Monday, had beer last night but not enough to have a hangover today. I saw it as my last hurrah which I know is stupid of course. I'm 60, have been drinking since 10 years ago (abstained for a couple years within that time), always alone, after divorcing after a long marriage (and empty nest at the same time). I was alone, sad and anxious. I'm at what is a bottom for me--2 bottles of wine or close to it three times a week, sometimes more. I never thought I'd get to that point, and my older body can't take it. No one knows. A few may have suspected but no one knows. I felt wonderful after 10 days of sobriety recently, so it's crazy to pick up again just out of an "experiment" to see if I can moderate or just a dumb habit. People I saw on Monday afternoon even commented at how good I looked on--rested and happy. I celebrated by drinking afterwards--it would be funny if it wasn't so stupid! It won't be hard to actually quit for good. I just have to have the determined mindset and not "forget." I'm so looking forward to a pivotal and blessed 2015! I wish the same for everyone here.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

My plan for today:

Drink water
Eat
Drink more water
Check and post here

Simple plan
Old 01-01-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hello all!
Today is day one of my sobriety journey. I know I cannot go back to occasionally drinking.
A glass of wine is never enough. I have only gotten to ten days sober in past but never had made the decision that the party for me is over with drinking. I now have. A happy and healthy life is way more important than wine. I poured what was left down the sink this morning and I'm excited to have new friends here to get me down my new life path. Happy New Year to all!
Old 01-01-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SunshineSally View Post
Hi, all, I was here before some years ago. I've quit a few times this year which lasted maybe a couple weeks, but now I'm determined to stop completely. I was 10 days sober until Monday, had beer last night but not enough to have a hangover today. I saw it as my last hurrah which I know is stupid of course. I'm 60, have been drinking since 10 years ago (abstained for a couple years within that time), always alone, after divorcing after a long marriage (and empty nest at the same time). I was alone, sad and anxious. I'm at what is a bottom for me--2 bottles of wine or close to it three times a week, sometimes more. I never thought I'd get to that point, and my older body can't take it. No one knows. A few may have suspected but no one knows. I felt wonderful after 10 days of sobriety recently, so it's crazy to pick up again just out of an "experiment" to see if I can moderate or just a dumb habit. People I saw on Monday afternoon even commented at how good I looked on--rested and happy. I celebrated by drinking afterwards--it would be funny if it wasn't so stupid! It won't be hard to actually quit for good. I just have to have the determined mindset and not "forget." I'm so looking forward to a pivotal and blessed 2015! I wish the same for everyone here.
You can do it sunshine Sally! Your health and future happiness are worth it!
Old 01-01-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

That sounds good, Pat.
I made a New Year's resolution list.
Today I'm going to open the blinds, clean my home, take down the tree, play music while I work.
Will call a couple friends.
Maybe I'll take a walk in the park later on. Or have some tea or soup at Panera's.
I have such hope, joy and confidence! Am so grateful for today, grateful to be alive, and for the coming year.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anewyear View Post
You can do it sunshine Sally! Your health and future happiness are worth it!
Thanks, NewYear! You, too! It's so worth it. The old way is so insane!
Old 01-01-2015, 10:45 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

What I've learned in the past decade is that as my tolerance increased, so did my drinking, bit by bit. In 2014, I got a tiny buzz (not even that most of the time) out of it for a shorter duration of time, followed by an increased period of time of suffering while trying to recover from it. Then one was blurring into the other, so that I felt sick and exhausted all the time. I got more viruses, I cancelled more and more planned activities. I was basically just torturing myself.
At the same time, and this might sound crazy, I was learning about myself, learning some skills to stop; I was praying for help. In some ways I got stronger, in other ways, I was getting worse. I knew it was time to stop for good, more in the last several months than any other time period.
A practical thing I learned is that I'll heal faster if I take vitamins (multi, extra D, B complex, probiotic) and eat healthy (mostly a greens and beans and berries thing, mostly a plant-based diet). For a long time, I thought I could eat healthy and drink and have few bad effects, but that doesn't work. The liver has to work so hard to get rid of the toxins, and the body doesn't absorb nutrients as well while drinking. It's a double whammy against the body.
I've learned all the lies I've said to myself over the years. I would drink anyway out of habit, the pull of it after work especially. I've made the decision to stop for good, no matter the pull or how I feel.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Edit--(double posted by mistake)

Last edited by SunshineSally; 01-01-2015 at 10:53 AM. Reason: double post for some reason
Old 01-01-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Congratulations all on your fantastic commitment!

I'm in the August 2014 class and have gained tremendous value from sharing my journey with a bunch of like minded people. I wish you the best!
Old 01-01-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Lunar caseyw sunshine sally
Old 01-01-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Smile i am in...

IN like nobody's business....although I have no idea how the 'class' thing works as I have joined before and then forgotten all about it. Anyone care to school me? Sober recovery and lovely New Year. Day by day, going to keep it going.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Yay January!

IN like nobody's business....although I have no idea how the 'class' thing works as I have joined before and then forgotten all about it. Anyone care to school me? Sober recovery and lovely New Year. Day by day, going to keep it going.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Been lurking for sometime - going to join this class as well - day one today. Good luck everyone and I look forward to all of us going down this road successfully
Old 01-01-2015, 12:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Bed early, drink poured down sink, kidneys throbbing, eyes drooping, kids clean and cuddled, looking forward to not having a hangover tomorrow, I don't usually spend the morning puking and never want to again! Love u all in some strange way, a sober army!
Xx
Old 01-01-2015, 01:08 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm in!! Been waiting for this day. I have been successful in the past and know I can do it again. Looking forward to a great 2015!!
Old 01-01-2015, 01:20 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goodkitty View Post
Hey! The goal of the class, I think is to create an area for newcomers to gather and share ideas, struggles, or anything to keep us sober. A safe place for working as a group, helping each other.

I contributed today by saying I would drink water and eat. Have been here on SR for a while. Had some decent sobriety time.

The basic. HALT
Try not to get, Hungry, Angry, Lonely or tired.
Every single one of the above can be a huge trigger.

Good luck my friends.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Please let me take back "had decent sobriety time". Makes no sense. I was being smart. I joined the class because I am an Alcoholic, and relapsed 20000 times.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi Lifesanew, and the other names I have a hard time copy / paste on my tablet!! LOL!