SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of March 2013 part 36 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/355095-class-march-2013-part-36-a.html)

Dee74 12-31-2014 03:51 PM

Class of March 2013 part 36

last part here http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-35-a-20.html

D

Gilmer 12-31-2014 03:56 PM

I just said in the old thread that I feel like a conversational cipher tonight! Lots of hype, but not much interesting to say! Hope somebody else steps up to the plate!

Duffster 12-31-2014 03:58 PM

Gilmer, just glad you're here :) I'm too exhausted to have any type of scintillating conversation tonight myself ...

Gilmer 12-31-2014 04:00 PM

Maybe we can play cards.

Dee74 12-31-2014 04:02 PM

Noone has to be 'on' all the time Gilmer :)

Gilmer 12-31-2014 04:04 PM

I am awake now, at least!

trachemys 12-31-2014 04:04 PM

Got a Rook deck?

Gilmer 12-31-2014 04:07 PM

I'm not familiar with Rook. I like 500 rummy, gin rummy, and pinochle. I used to enjoy spoons and hearts a lot, but I forgot how to play. Pinochle is my major game these days. I really stink at poker!

trachemys 12-31-2014 04:13 PM

Rook is basically hearts. They just made money making a special deck of cards.

Gilmer 12-31-2014 04:26 PM

Spades is another one I used to love. I once ruined the whole game for my pastor on the first hand, and he almost wept! :sasmokin:

I don't try to annihilate people, and usually I'm pretty inept. Only when someone is really insufferable am I ever blessed with the dumb luck to confound them. Like a lightningbolt from above!

Happened once with darts in junior high. I cannot hit the broad side of a barn, but I was playing against my friend's super obnoxious kid brother--and again and again, I totally kicked his *** as if by magic! Shut him up good! :shine8pl:

Marcher13 12-31-2014 04:30 PM

Good morning Marchers! Happy New Year everyone. 2015 is looking good, temperatures are rising here too though perhaps a little more than where you are Gilmer. ;)

Duff it's good to have you back. I won't join in the card game as I don't play cards but I'll bring some mango ice cream (made this morning) for anyone who is interested.

Have a good one peeps.

Duffster 12-31-2014 05:10 PM

Thanks Marcher! Happy to be back :) I'm no good at cards either but will definitely try some of that mango ice cream - yum!

venuscat 12-31-2014 05:13 PM

Glad you enjoyed the cruise Duff! ♥

I'm on a diet, but maybe just a little mango ice cream... :)
I'm in for cards.

Saskia 12-31-2014 07:22 PM

Mango ice cream sounds delish! And cards would be just my speed tonight. I splurged on some Vermont Cheesecake Factory cheesecake (yum). I used to play a mean game of pinochle with my ex in-laws and various other deadly games :-)

I doubt I'll stay up till midnight - no longer all that exciting...

Duff, glad you had a good cruise and welcome back :-)

Have a good one, Marchers!

Gilmer 12-31-2014 07:23 PM

I was tired a couple of hours ago, but I ate a few snacks and livened up. At this point, it's so late that I might as well stay up.

Duffster 01-01-2015 03:55 AM

As suspected, I didn't even get close to staying up! Happy New Year, everyone! Did you all get to watch the ball drop?

I did get awakened just after midnight when the fireworks went off and once again my scottie was convinced that the world was ending.

Today is always spent un-decorating. It usually takes all day but man is it easier without a hangover.

This year's resolutions:
Remove all unrefined sugar products from this house.
Catch up on new popular shows (as per our prior convos)
Continue project simplify

MeSoSober 01-01-2015 07:19 AM

Good morning and Happy New Year, sober peeps!

I've mentioned Augusten Burroughs' book This is How here before, mostly with regard to what he says about quitting drinking. So many observations, so much advice in that book resonates with me, but today I just wanted to put this quote out there for Day 1, 2015:

“If you hate your life, you haven't seen enough of it. If you hate your life, it's because your life is too small and doesn't' fit you.”

I don't hate my life, but it is too small for me. Much too small. I am planning on shrinking physically this year, but I'm not going to shrink metaphorically into my life, I'm going to make IT bigger for ME, not ME smaller for IT.

So that's just one of the many thoughts I'm carrying with me into the New Year. Fresh start!!:c011:

Gilmer 01-01-2015 07:31 AM

That's a really great way of looking at things, MeSo. Our unsatisfactory lives are just too small for us!

MeSoSober 01-01-2015 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gilmer (Post 5109248)
That's a really great way of looking at things, MeSo. Our unsatisfactory lives are just too small for us!

Amen! There are so many similar gems in that book. I got rid of my copy, and now I need to go out and get another one. But I found a bunch of quotes from it online.

I haven't left the state (of Virginia that is) in several years. Yesterday I went out on a limb and e-mailed another single friend and asked how she felt about the Cape (Cod) in October. I have an old Living Social voucher for a little motel in Eastham, and even though I'm totally in debt, broke, what have you, sometimes you just gotta say WTF. It would only be for a couple or three days in any event. I tried to give it to Toots last year because she was in Beantown and it looked like I was never going to freaking use it anyway, but when I emailed the motel I was told I couldn't transfer it. Makes no sense to me (what do they care who uses the voucher as long as it's paid for?), but anyway.

Just planning for something, having something to look forward to I think can help a person bust out of a rut.

Gilmer 01-01-2015 08:01 AM

I love a change of scene once in awhile--and as long as it's burning a hole in your pocket...:)