Notices

Class of December 2014 Part 3

Old 12-24-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Merry Christmas y'all!

I've been reading everyone's posts, and I'm so glad to see everyone checking in today.

Whether we have a few days under our belts, or starting over, or still trying to decide about this whole living sober thing, it's nice to have a place where we can be real and know we are among friends who understand.

Fabl....my heart goes out to you. You are under an enormous amount of stress, please keep reaching out for whatever support you need. You and your father are in my prayers and I'm sending strength to you and some hugs if that's alright.

I hope everyone has a beautiful day!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:48 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
EJP

Good morning all. Day 19 here.
I havent posted much lately but Im still reading posts. A lot of stress and anxiety this time of year!

My emotions have been all over the place and the mood swings are wearing me down quite a bit. I just keep reminding myself that it will get better if I go through the motions.
No drinking.
Eating healthy.
Exercise.
Try to smile.
Repeat.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
EJP

Hang in there Fabl.
I wish you well and hope you and yours find some comfort.

Im glad your still posting.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Good morning all, believe this is Day 10 (or 11) not sure if the first 24 hours is 1 day. Anyway, it's Christmas Eve and I have already been busy. It is good to get great rest and relax, hope to watch some more Christmas movies today and just veg. Early to bed and then celebrate Christmas tomorrow.

I hope everyone stays strong and has a wonderful Christmas!!!
Old 12-24-2014, 08:26 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I made it to 21 days! Three weeks sober. Lately cravings have abated and I've actually seen alcohol for what a black cloud it was over my life. If I take an inventory of all of the negative experiences and interactions in my life, alcohol was behind most of them.
I feel liberated mentally and physically. Focused, goal oriented. I've been getting things done I would be too foggy or uninterested in completing during my drinking days.
Alcohol did nothing for my life. It only brought me down- and held me there. The further I get away from it, the more clearly I see it. I feel like I've taken back my life from something that took life from me.
A few weeks back during the beginning of my sober time I couldn't imagine the holidays without alcohol. Now I couldn't imagine life- holidays or otherwise- with it.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

FABL: I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. When I met up with you here in Feb '14, my dad had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I committed to being sober through the last months of his life. I wanted to feel every emotion that came along with watching that happen to him (and me).

He passed away May 30th. I was sober from February to May. I was there for him through it all. I mean, really there. Not hiding behind alcohol. He died in my home. And I kid you not, as soon as the mortuary came and took him from my house, I started drinking. And I drank every single day until Dec 5th! I'm sober now. I'm facing my first Christmas without him. I've been crying all day. But I will not drink.

I do feel your pain. I hope the best for you and your father. Hugs and prayers!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Good morning, everyone!

Everything has been so crazy I haven't had time to post but I've been keeping up with all of your posts. I'm glad to see so many of us are adding days to our sobriety especially since this is the hardest time to do it.

Jeni26-- I give you a warm welcome and I want to thank you for sharing here. I think we all can learn a lot from you and us newbies here are just bursting with encouragement and support to give so I hope you will lean on us as you need to. You've proven before you are capable of this! It's really nice to have you with us.

Ginza-- welcome aboard! Alcoholism can hit anyone from any background and lifestyle. It doesn't discriminate. I hope you are ready to get sober cause we are ready to help encourage and support you! Keep posting and keep reading. This is a wonderful resource.

FABL-- I'm so terribly sorry to hear about your father. I really don't have words that can make any of it any better other than to tell you that my heart and prayers are with you and your family. My grandmother(who is my best friend) has been battling a rare terminal cancer for a while but that's not the same as losing a parent. Please know we are all here for you. Don't hesitate to post.

EJP-- Congrats on 19 days!! I myself and feeling quite battle worn from the rapid mood swings. It does take quite a bit out of you. It's nice to know I'm not the only one having to just go through the motions.

I've got 13 days today. My mood is in the toilet and I'm struggling quite a bit so far. I can't seem to get alcohol off my mind. It doesn't help that I had a terrible nightmare last night that I drank and I knew I was blowing my sobriety. It was so real. It took me some time to realize that it didn't actually happen. I'm hoping a hot shower, come coffee, and a good book will help ease my struggles. I wish you all a wonderful, sober day!!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

dp
Old 12-24-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Forabetterlife - I feel the heavy post and my heart feels for you. You are not alone. This year I got laid off, my mom got diagnosed with breast cancer and I had a roller coaster ride of a relationship.

I started binge drinking on the weekends and then my hangovers started rolling into the work week. Only 10 days ago did I finally hit my rock bottom where I got kicked out of a bar, hit my head on something by accident and hooked up with a guy I know that doesn't needs to be brought up. #gross #whatwasIthinking?

We all are learning lessons in this life, it isn't karma for what we have done in the past it is the fact that we can't drink. It's toxic for us, maybe not for them but it is for us. I will list you below honestly 5 drunk things I've done that I regret.... Class what about yours?

1. Missing work
2. Being irritable at family for no reason other than being hungover
3. Not taking my dog out when I'm too hungover to get out of bed. Poor little thing had to pee.
4. Pissing friends off that invited me to a thanksgiving dinner and I made a wasted fool out of myself
5. Spending too much money on alcohol

Day 10.. onto day 11
Old 12-24-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your kind and caring words. I have been blessed with wonderful family and friends but I also feel blessed to have friends in this Sr cyber community.

Today is a true struggle for me. But it really helps to know you are all here and that I'm not alone in this. I am tempted to drink, of course. But I will not. I want to be clearheaded tomorrow and there's only one way to make sure I am.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Fabl...I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I've not long been through the exact same thing with my Dad. He had lung cancer and it spread to his bones and I helped nurse him at home. He died at the end of August and I held his hand as he passed peacefully. I stayed sober throughout the whole thing but I held onto too much hurt, fear and anger and it all caught up with me months later. Please keep talking...and PM me if you want. I'm happy to hold your hand through this. Drinking doesn't help.

Keithurbanfan...it's my first Christmas without mine too. It hurts doesn't it?

Well I'm still sober...day 1 nearly wrapped up. I've had some cravings today and thoughts of wanting to drink, but I haven't. And I won't!

Love and best wishes to you all x
Old 12-24-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi Jeni......I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes, it hurts. There's a void that will never be filled. I wish you peace through this Christmas season.

Congrats on getting through day 1. I, too, had a long stretch of sobriety and blew it. If you notice my SR join date, I've been around here a while. And I will never stop trying to quit. I know I'm a better me without alcohol.

Merry Christmas to you and to all our December quitters!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I'd like to join this class as my last drinking day was 17th December 2014 and going good so far. I'm not physically addicted but its more the psychological.....'ooh I love a drink' type thing. Only I know it does not stop there and then comes the blackouts. I've passed Christmas Eve without drink and looking forward to tomorrow. Will be with my little boy opening his presents and then a much needed run. Jogging will be so important over the coming months to keep me balanced. For the first time since the age of 13 I'm alcohol, tobacco and drug free. Right now, it feels great but I need to be prepared when the craving and temptation really starts. - I suspect when I least expect it. For now I wish you all a happy Christmas.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hello all. Stopping by to wish everyone a blessed, sober Christmas!
I'm still doing ok, just haven't been posting much. Hope everyone is doing great!

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Welcome strength, hi max and hope everyone has a nice sober evening!
Going in to face the family and the booze...not going to drink today!
Stay strong y'all!
Old 12-24-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

FABL, sending prayers for you and your family.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Brynn, you've got this! I have no doubts.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Dropping in to wish everyone a merry Christmas. I'm on Day 11 and reading your posts and advice and hearing about what we are all going through together is a big help. I am going to my first AA meeting tonight. I have been scared for some reason to go but I need to get out of my comfort zone a little. Best wishes.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your news FABL.
Sounds like your Dad really needs you now tho.

I lost a good friend to cancer. I was glad to be sober and to be there for him at the end - how ever painful, it was also a privilege...y'know?

D
Old 12-24-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Administrator

Merry Xmas gang

D