Notices

Class of December 2014 Part 2

Old 12-12-2014, 10:06 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Originally Posted by Ljb View Post
Last night, during a conversation about how to "move past this." My husband shared some of the difficulties he and my toddler faced when I was drinking heavily.

I am completely devastated, depressed as hell and don't feel like being...anything...anymore.

And, of course, I'd really like a drink. Then, in my mind, I can stop feeling this way. Numb the pain, drink away the anxiety. Stop being.
Don't drink. Don't do it! The fact that you still HAVE your family means that your husband must still believe in you on some level! Start drinking again and not only may he reconsider, but you will be hurting him and your child and yourself...don't give him another chance to be able to 'share' any more difficulties! Don't let your child grow up without you. Growing up with out a parent due to addiction really sucks!

Stay close to us today.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
I've been on this roller coaster of drinking, quitting, deciding I can drink moderately, failing at that, and trying again to quit.

I've been "trying" to quit for three years now with stretches of success but that's it.

I *need* to stop, this is just out of control-I drink every night, alone, and too much. Feel like crap most mornings. Slog through the day--till 5 or so when I get back to drinking and the cycle starts again. Don't sleep well, look like hell, and have done who knows what kind of damage to my liver, etc.

Anyway: I'm done. This is Day 1. I just wanted to explain my story and how I've bounced around SR over the past couple years and really want this to be the last class I ever join here. I'm going to go back and read all the posts to get to know eveyone.
Sounds like my cycle
It's exhausting, working through cravings is easier than drinking and all that comes along with it.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Ok, seriously??

I just got an invite to a baby shower at a BAR?!?! I've never heard of that before have y'all?

Getting that invitation just re-enforced what I've known for a while....my circle of friends are all drunks!!
Old 12-12-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Stay positive.

Brynn I have actually seen quite a few baby showers at bars. I personally wouldn't do that, but to each their own. I do agree it's kind of strange, but I guess if the expecting mother isn't an alcoholic she can stand to be around all that booze and people drinking. It'll be a true test if you do decide to go. Keep us posted
Old 12-12-2014, 01:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
EJP

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Ok, seriously??

I just got an invite to a baby shower at a BAR?!?! I've never heard of that before have y'all?

Getting that invitation just re-enforced what I've known for a while....my circle of friends are all drunks!!
Yeah, its not that uncommon for younger parents-to-be. Later on they get moved to pizza parlors because a lot of folks have other children to bring.

One thing you can do is skip it and buy them an extra special present for the birth ( if its a close person) with the money you saved from a meal and drinks. Or just give them something later.

i know i would probably cave if i was put in a tempting situation right now. Why risk it?

I can give you plenty of fun excuses if you need them...
Old 12-12-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Ok...that explains it...the parents to be are in their early twenties. I'm at least fifteen years older than them (ugh) but we met through mutual friends and hit it off...alums of the same university, members of the same sorority, etc...gosh I must really be out of the loop!!
Remember when baby showers were hosted by the expectant moms mothers friends and consisted of tea sandwiches and punch?

And there's is NO way I'm going to this thing! No freaking way do I trust myself in a bar! Not even an option for me.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:27 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Good job brynn!

So all, my AV is kicking it up a notch today. I. will. not. give. in.

Usually if I can make it through 3 days, I can make it to 7.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

double post
Old 12-12-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Hello all. I'm from the August class. Am I welcome here?

I had many restarts since then . I do ok for awhile, then BAM! When the going gets too much, I slip right back into the old same old. Into the same old pattern . Ashamed to say so, but its the truth.
I never saw this coming.......this addiction of mind, body and spirit. Its so damn hard to let it go. Started out for many years being just a social drinker. Now, it controls me. Don't drink everyday, but once I do, its got a hold of me!

So, I hope I'm going to get it right, this time around. Hopefully, tomorrow will be my last day 1.
It feels good to get the truth out there. I don't know why I fail, time and time again. Except I'm probably not a strong enough person to control what controls me? I don't know. I'm so confused and upset.

I have anger issues, lack of enough money issues, poor realtionships, etc. And Bad Luck! Not just sometimes, but like everyday or so? Things I can't control. Not an excuse to drink, but it surely doesn't help me in staying on track, and making the right choices. All excuses I know. But they are the things that keep me from my goal.

Anyways, glad to be here. Hope you all have room for one more!
Look forward to meeting and sharing with everyone here.
Thanks.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm here too. Day 3! I'm still not where I want to be mentally but I'm not drinking one day at a time. Glad to be here.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Hang in there FacingFuture you can do this.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
I've been on this roller coaster of drinking, quitting, deciding I can drink moderately, failing at that, and trying again to quit.

I've been "trying" to quit for three years now with stretches of success but that's it.

I *need* to stop, this is just out of control-I drink every night, alone, and too much. Feel like crap most mornings. Slog through the day--till 5 or so when I get back to drinking and the cycle starts again. Don't sleep well, look like hell, and have done who knows what kind of damage to my liver, etc.

Anyway: I'm done. This is Day 1. I just wanted to explain my story and how I've bounced around SR over the past couple years and really want this to be the last class I ever join here. I'm going to go back and read all the posts to get to know eveyone.
Boy, do I know this feeling! Thanks for sharing this.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Kittycat, Sam and Max

congrats Classy, Tonks Denise and anyone I've missed

D
Old 12-12-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Welcome Maximus!
Old 12-12-2014, 05:51 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Well, just reading back over my 1st post in the class of December. And wanted to clarify some things I said. Sorry, don't know how to highlight just yet, but I said life issues were holding me back from my goal of staying sober. Yes, this all makes it more difficult to achieve my goal. But the only real thing holding me back from this is MYSELF.

How I deal with everyday challenges, and man do I have a lot! How I REACT to them, this is still a learning process for me. And I'm not doing so well in that department. Hope I can learn how to accept things, as ****** and as hard as they are sometimes, most times for me, without caving. I have much to learn.

I think being sober and staying that way for an extended period of time helps. But, I need to change my perspective on life, and be grateful for all the things I hold dear. And know life,stuff happens, but I don't have to let it make me drink, use, again.

So, hoping this helps somebody out there. Its good stuff, and just wanted to say so. I need to refer back to this post, when I'm feeling like I just can't do it anymore. And heed my own words of wisdom.

Thanks much class of December.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:33 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Tired

Greetings and welcome Kitty, Max and Sam!

Let it all out here, it's VERY good to just let it out, not keeping it in. It an be emotionally exhausting trying to 'manage' your feelings, suppress them, while breaking the habit. Worse yet to become snippy and irate at everyone else around you! Better to let it loose here. Day six for me, and it has been a roller coaster.

I am so proud of these six days though. Here is is Friday and the weekend, and I intend to face them sober. Something I've not done in a long while.

Good evening to everyone else! I'm glad we're all still around
Old 12-12-2014, 06:41 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

6 days deemee? Great! You should be proud!

You are doing so well! Forget the weekend, its just another day. You can do this!
Thanks much for the welcome.

Glad to be here, as well. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hey class! Checking in to see how everyone's doing...I'm winding down day seven and feeling grateful that I am gaining new insight and perspective into my addiction. I am so glad I chose to stay sober today. I'm glad I get to wake up sober tomorrow.

I was invited to an event tonight that I knew was going to be focused mainly around drinking, and I was able to say NO...and the reason I was able to say no is that drinking is not an option for me. And I am willing to do anything to keep myself and my sobriety safe. I'm unwilling to put myself (especially this early in recovery) in any questionable situation.

Unfortunately, it's getting a wee bit lonely! Everyone I know drinks. We spend a lot of time at bars and at each other's homes getting wasted. I really need to make some sober friends!

Along those lines, y'all may know that I had to leave my home when I made the decision to get sober...totally alcoholic environment and my partner is unsupportive...anyway, the friend I've been staying with needs her guest room back by next Saturday as her in-laws will be in town for Christmas. So....gotta make some plans. Going back home is still not an option. My partner is still drinking and even though he says if I come back home he will stop, that's not good enough. I want him to stop for himself...not for me. And if he's going to stop it needs to be NOW! Anyway...too risky for my sobriety I think. I want sobriety more than anything and I've got to keep that mindset.

I hope everyone had a good day and you were able to actually enjoy your sobriety today!

I'm so proud of us all. This journey isn't for the faint of heart...I think we are pretty damn strong!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Administrator

It takes a little time to build a new life - I had to meet new people, or reconnect with old friends, who were either completely sober or once in a while one or two glasses normal drinkers.

My friendships now are not based on consumption of drugs and alcohol and everyone's ok and supportive with me being sober.

I have a more active social life than I've ever had before now...but it took time

D
Old 12-12-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Ya**!

Yeah, it definitely does get a little lonely... especially on these weekend nights. But its nice looking through life without a filter as well.

Brynn, you're an inspiration! Your optimism is contagious.

D-Class, I hope everyone is having a safe and sober night!