Notices

Class of April 2014 Part 17

Old 01-19-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Aww thanks MG. I didn't realize there is more than one edition of the book. I think I'm going to order the 5th edition as it is #1 best seller on Amazon in its category. Which one do you own?

Freein sounds like fun planning your staycation. Planning will also probably make the time between then and now enjoyable as well because you have something to look forward to and daydream about.

So many times the biggest thrill for me when thinking about an upcoming vacation or special occasion has been drinking. Many times I end up with regrets and/or hangovers. Many of the memories I have of special events are tainted with them. What a nice thought to think about how lovely it will be to return from a vacation feeling rejuvenated rather than drained, to look back on it with fondness rather than embarrassment. Ok I feel like I'm starting to sound so cheesy now I've got to stop with this!

I downloaded an app called "days since" that counts, to the second, the length of time either before or after an event. Obvs I use it to count from 1/1/15 12am. You can also set reminders. I set reminders for every month and for each reminder I put a different celebratory emoji. 12 months is a trophy. I don't know how much confidence I have that I will get to that point without slipping up but I do find the app to be helpful. Sometimes I just open up the app and look at the seconds go by.

I am so excited I have 3 packages on the way here. I picked out my own bday presents this year. I'm expecting some Sephora, my first MAC (makeup not computer!) purchase ,and last but not least.... My first pair of cowgirl boots!! I cannot wait to try them on. They are Ariat and retail for $259 or so and I got them for $126 by using a promo code. I love finding a good deal! I always lived by the beach and I do miss wearing flip flops every day but one positive about living here is that I have a reason to get these boots. Not that I'm going to ride a horse or anything but they'll be useful when it gets warmer because there is dirt here instead of sand. And I will be able to wear them at the rodeo when it comes! I'm so out of my element here it's insane. But I am learning to embrace it.

Ok enough about boots. I keep saying this but eventually I will start blogging so I can use that for my ramblings on.

I'm anxiously awaiting the call about my blood work results and it's making me sick so I'm trying to distract myself.

Have a great day everyone
Old 01-19-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 482 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Freein - I sure wish we had 3 day week-ends Have a good evening (my day is starting so I guess you've already made it through your work day.

Solilo......I have the Fifth addition also....I think there is a "wealth" of information in that book that will be helpful. So excited for you on the boots too. I love boots. When I was a bartender in my younger days, living in a very redneck, country boy town, I bought a pair of snake skin boots.....loved them.

On the run this am............Good Day All How are you doing Up?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 483 (permalink)  

Soli, be careful with those Ariats, they were the gateway boot for me... I went from them to Justin's, to Fryes, and am now obsessed with a pair of Old Gringos that cost more than the most I ever paid in rent. It's a slippery slope...
On a more serious note, my sister has an anxiety problem, and was pretty content to just live with it, and to continue to impose it on everyone around her, until she started seeing her daughter modeling the same behaviors. She realized she was teaching her daughter to approach life from an unhealthy place, and that if she didn't do something about it soon, that she would grow up with the same issues my sister had always struggled with, so she finally sought treatment for it. It has made a huge difference in her life. She is happier and a lot easier to be around, and her daughter is growing into a self confident teenager. My sister found a children's book on dealing with anxiety that helped her daughter tremendously, too. The anxiety issues my sister struggled with go back at least several generations in my family, but my sister has broken the cycle, and her family is much healthier for it.
I'm on vacation, visiting a friend in the Southeast for a couple of weeks before going to visit my family. This time of year is a really good one to get away from where I live, and I feel really lucky that my occupation comes with an off season that allows me the time and freedom to go away like this. We can go weeks at a time without seeing the sun where I live, and it gets really depressing. The sun is pouring through the windows here right now.
I hope all of you Fools are in good spirits and doing well. You are all in my thoughts every day. I'll catch up on here later today, and will write more then, but in the meanwhile I hope each of you has a wonderful day.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  

Morning Fools,
8.00am, still in exam period, half days.....

Well Obo give it to em...... It was a great night. My wife and I went to the gig, hundreds there, Obo's anxiety was well and truly on. Very nervous before we played and no drinks to settle it down. Obo was breathing (in cigarette smoke)back stage, how things change...! Had a great guitar in the end, and a awesome bloke on the sound, pissed and stoned as hell, but he knew what was going on. Stayed for about half an hour after and then left with my wife in arm. It's about time I manned up a bit...! I would never had got this gig had I been drinking, strange how this alcoholism works. It seems if you have some faith in sobriety sooner or later the Universe meets you half way......

Quick update Fools, have to read all the posts. I've been busy watching the videos of the band, like all day. Obo still got a way to go with his ego!

Stay tuned...............
Old 01-19-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  
Administrator

really glad it went well Obo

D
Old 01-19-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Nice Obo...that is FABULOUS

Enjoy the sunshine & time with your family Adna
Old 01-19-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Wow, that sounds a great gig Obo, wish I could have seen it!

I have an extra half hour this morning before I have to go to work, I can eat my porridge slowly.

I'm reading a book called "the chimp paradox, the mind management programme for confidence, success and happiness" by Steve Peters. I love the analogy of having a wild chimp inside us, fighting for attention and just generally being wild. At the moment my chimp doesn't want to go to work, she wants to play about at home all day.

I do have the book on audio as well, but I'm finding the written word is easier to retain.

Anyway, I'm taking my chimp to work now, I hope she behaves.

Have a great day all.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 488 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Up early this am.....Son to the bus, came home & instead of crawling back into bed with my coffee & laptop I got the dishes done, floor mopped, did a quick little ab work out & ran up & down the stairs 10 times to kick start the metabolism

Very grateful for my sobriety today.....what a relief.

I need a good book Freein.......I bought a couple used self help books week-end before last, but not diggin either on of them. Well, I guess the little chimp in me better get her a@@ moving & ready for work too

Good day peeps.......going to check in here before I head out the door & hope to find a little inspiration & quote I can take with me today........UP????
Old 01-20-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 489 (permalink)  

Hope your having a good day at work, Mariah!

It's a rainy, cold evening here, perfect for laying by the fire with a cup of peppermint tea!

Hope everyone's day is going well.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Hi all
I'm having some cravings so I'm going to stick close. Everything has been going well here. I'll have to check out that book free it sounds really interesting!

I think I'm going to go make some chcoolate chip cookies before the kids get home.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:10 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've got your back Chick

D
Old 01-20-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I'm good now.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Morning Fools,
8.00 am.....

Sol: I hope the tests come back ok. I'm sure they will. I went through a long phase of paranoia about my health. Worried about everything as I'd really trashed myself at times.

Top: How you travelling?

Dee: What instrument, how did I miss this before...?
Reminds me of the joke. A bloke walks into a bar and everyone knew he was a guitarist within a minute....... How did they know? He told them...!

Up: Thinking of you....

Mariah and Freein: I think I'm going to follow your lead and get on the fitness fighting. Every time I read your posts I think I should be getting on top of my health. I'm going to be father at 40, which is late and my father died at 66.

Chick: I'm around all day....... Checking in always works for me....!

Adna: I think I'm trying to break the anxiety cycle in my family too. The side behaviours can really damage those around..... I've suffered from anxiety for a long time now....

Izzy: Hi there!!

Back down to earth today........

Had another dream about drinking last night. Started with a gin and tonic (which I never ever drank) and a toast to something. I had one sip and then downed the rest, then moved on to the beers, consciously deciding that "stuff it I've already had some".... I woke up and felt the relief of becoming aware it wasn't real. It's very deep inside Obo this demon, tricky and cunning. Vigilance and discipline......

Hope all are well out there......

stay tuned..................
Old 01-20-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  
Administrator

Great to hear Chick

I play a little bit of anything with strings on Obo but it was mainly bass professionally speaking

time for a new thread tho:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...part-18-a.html

D