SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomer's Daily Support Threads (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/)
-   -   Class of December 2014 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-daily-support-threads/352232-class-december-2014-a.html)

EJP 12-11-2014 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by brynn (Post 5070035)
Good morning y'all!

Hope everyone has a good and sober day! Tonight is the start of my weekend, feeling a little panicky about it, but am trying to get focused and stay singleminded and take care of myself. Hope you all will do the same! :)

You're not drinking this weekend, silly. Your on a mission to get yourself back into shape and start running again. Make a checklist of what you need... Running shoes, shorts, etc. Then find 10ks in your area that happen in a few months. Maybe you should look into a training device to track your progress like a fitbit or garmin.

One thing that helps me is not thinking about what I cant do (drink) and instead think about some kind awesome goal to work towards and all the small steps to get there.

1Faith 12-11-2014 08:11 AM

Good morning.

Day 2 !!!

My mind is racing. As work and life gets hectic, I want that drink to ease the tension. I want that first aahhh feeling. But I will resist.

I did enjoy waking up without a hangover. Without feeling terrible.

ishallnotwant - hang in there.

Everyone - prayers for another day.

One day at a time.

MariahGayle 12-11-2014 08:14 AM

Hope things look brighter soon Ishallnot.....EJP suggestion to exercise, even just brisk walking is really helpful for anxiety/depression.

Soooo, at 8 days today & having started over at this many times this last year, I'm sure not the poster child for sobriety, but I have had some chunks of sobriety & have been reflecting on the things that have been helpful & how I need to make a daily practice of those things so that I can achieve long term/life long sobriety & wanted to share them, in hopes they might be helpful to others early in sobriety:

Starting the day with meditation.....this does not necessarily mean sitting cross legged, doing a chant.....I think just finding a quiet place to sit or lying & down and practicing some deep breathing....or just putting on ocean waves meditation or soft guitar music while I'm getting ready for work in the morning, brings a sense of calm to me...helps me start the day a little more centered.

Positive affirmations are a huge help to me when I practice them....simple, short affirmations repeated out loud or in my head, such as...."I let go of shame & guilt" or "I embrace my sober self". Google positive affirmations & you will find a list of them.

Have a great day/night everyone:)

GnikNus 12-11-2014 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by classypants19 (Post 5069882)
Bring on day 6. Woot Woot. Feeling better and more confident about the decision to quit drinking. My birthday is coming up on the 20th so will be the first birthday that I've been sober in a loooooong time. One day at a time though. Have a great day peeps. So thankful today that I can come to SR any time of the day and read inspiring posts and connect with you guys. Makes staying sober so much more easier.

My birthday is on the 25th, and I've had the same thoughts. Yesterday I went to the store and stocked up on all kinds of non alcoholic drinks. I'll decide which ones I like and celebrate that way this year.

brynn 12-11-2014 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by classypants19 (Post 5070194)
Hey class, what's your view on AVRT? If you go to forums, stroll down and click on Secular you will read about it. I think this is the way for me. I have tried AA many times over the past 10 years and it hasn't been for me, well at least not then. But now I think this is the new way of thinking for me. Overall message is that Alcoholism is not a disease, its a choice, just like smoking is a choice, BUT cancer is not a choice. Something to think about. It seems like common sense to me. I just ordered the book Rational Recovery off of Amazon. Supposed to be a great read.

This resonates so much more with me, too. I've tried AA as well, but always felt overwhelmed with the 'disease' idea....kind of a defeatist way of thinking maybe?...anyway...I can really wrap my head around this...makes me feel more in control since it's a choice. Thanks for posting this.

Midwest1981 12-11-2014 08:43 AM

I like the avert idea. I need to read about it more.

I am on day 7. I feel great! I am just concentrating on taking care of myself. Going to exercise, eat healthy, and read a novel.

classypants19 12-11-2014 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by brynn (Post 5070354)
This resonates so much more with me, too. I've tried AA as well, but always felt overwhelmed with the 'disease' idea....kind of a defeatist way of thinking maybe?...anyway...I can really wrap my head around this...makes me feel more in control since it's a choice. Thanks for posting this.

Absolutely!! I am NOT powerless over alcohol, in fact I'm the one who has the power. I will not admit that I cannot control addiction or compulsion. Its as simple as not taking the first drink.

GnikNus 12-11-2014 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by classypants19 (Post 5069882)
Bring on day 6. Woot Woot. Feeling better and more confident about the decision to quit drinking. My birthday is coming up on the 20th so will be the first birthday that I've been sober in a loooooong time. One day at a time though. Have a great day peeps. So thankful today that I can come to SR any time of the day and read inspiring posts and connect with you guys. Makes staying sober so much more easier.

My birthday is on the 25th, and I've thought the same thing. This will be my first sober birthday since I was 20 (I'll be 38 this year). Last night I went to Trader Joes and stocked up on non- alcoholic drinks of all sorts. I'll see which one I like best and celebrate that way.

brynn 12-11-2014 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by classypants19 (Post 5070386)
Absolutely!! I am NOT powerless over alcohol, in fact I'm the one who has the power. I will not admit that I cannot control addiction or compulsion. Its as simple as not taking the first drink.

I wish I would have heard about this sooner.

I was in rehab about three years ago and never heard a word about this approach. Only AA/12 step stuff and while that works for many people, it's not for everyone.

It's funny but I quit smoking about a year ago...cold turkey...just decided not to buy cigs one day, and haven't smoked since. That was a choice I made...I wasn't powerless over cigarettes...it wasn't a disease. The same principle can be applied to any sort of addiction. How totally FREEING this is! And EMPOWERING!! Boom!! Yeah!!!

brynn 12-11-2014 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by GnikNus (Post 5070391)
My birthday is on the 25th, and I've thought the same thing. This will be my first sober birthday since I was 20 (I'll be 38 this year). Last night I went to Trader Joes and stocked up on non- alcoholic drinks of all sorts. I'll see which one I like best and celebrate that way.

I absolutely love this! Taking care if yourself is the best birthday present ever!! Yay for you!!! :a122:

lilsmum 12-11-2014 09:15 AM

Day 11 .... Feeling better about my decision to quit. Work has really been pushing me to my breaking point but in the end, I have chosen to deal with the feelings rather then drink them away! One day at a time. SR helps. Have a great day everyone

classypants19 12-11-2014 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by brynn (Post 5070406)
I wish I would have heard about this sooner.

I was in rehab about three years ago and never heard a word about this approach. Only AA/12 step stuff and while that works for many people, it's not for everyone.

It's funny but I quit smoking about a year ago...cold turkey...just decided not to buy cigs one day, and haven't smoked since. That was a choice I made...I wasn't powerless over cigarettes...it wasn't a disease. The same principle can be applied to any sort of addiction. How totally FREEING this is! And EMPOWERING!! Boom!! Yeah!!!

I just heard about this approach this morning. Although, I know its not the approach for everyone it seems to be the ideal approach for me. Whatever keeps us sober. We all don't think the same for a reason.

GnikNus 12-11-2014 11:14 AM

Day 8. I can feel alcohol as a part of my life slipping away.
I read a quote last year that I am starting to understand: "clarity is it's own drug."
A better one to be chasing, I think.

ishallnotwant 12-11-2014 11:24 AM

Took the advice to exercise (and truly did not want to do it), but walked for 30 minutes outside during lunch--a glorious day here in southern US (60 degrees and not a cloud in the sky). The exercise did wonders for my mood! Thanks so much!!

FacingFuture 12-11-2014 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by EJP (Post 5070265)
Try to exercise. It sounds terrible but the effects of exercise on a depressed mood cannot be overstated.

Hope you feel better!

I shallnotwant, I fully second the excercise thing. It is somewhat counterintuative, but works well for me with anxiety (which I think is related to depression).

Checking in on day 2! Besides a weird waking-dream thing last night. I'm doing well. I'm reading the big book, talking to other alcoholics, posting on SR, and going to some meetings.

I hope you all have a great sober day!!!:ring

FacingFuture 12-11-2014 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by GnikNus (Post 5070391)

Awesome!!!!:a122:

I love the Henry Winehardts Draught style root beer. Also a good Ginger Ale or Ginger beer to change it up somedays.

Mainza 12-11-2014 12:32 PM

Checking in sober on day 12. No alcohol for me today. I'm feeling good and my energy levels are starting to increase. I'm starting to feel like if I am sober for the rest of my life, everything will be just fine.

EJP 12-11-2014 12:41 PM

Just checking in. I cleaned out the rest of my workout space and put in about an hour of exercise hitting bags, pullups, etc.

Depression is lifting and now the anxiety is in full swing. Its like my mind is just clear enough that I get glimpses at far my behavior has skewed from a normal person into this lonely selfishness person. Ive been so absent and standoffish to much of my family... the task of repairing those relationships is.... mammoth. I want to say undo-able.

So anyway. Just sharing some dread. I bougth a book called Feeling Good that focuses on treating depression thru CBT. I started that today too.

brynn 12-11-2014 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by EJP (Post 5070750)
Just checking in. I cleaned out the rest of my workout space and put in about an hour of exercise hitting bags, pullups, etc.

Depression is lifting and now the anxiety is in full swing. Its like my mind is just clear enough that I get glimpses at far my behavior has skewed from a normal person into this lonely selfishness person. Ive been so absent and standoffish to much of my family... the task of repairing those relationships is.... mammoth. I want to say undo-able.

So anyway. Just sharing some dread. I bougth a book called Feeling Good that focuses on treating depression thru CBT. I started that today too.

The task of repairing relationships might be mammoth but it IS doable! It will take time....the people we've hurt don't trust us (with good reason) and they are going to be watching us closely to see if and when they might consider trusting us again.

I'm really proud of you for taking such positive steps today despite the anxiety.
Yay!

1Faith 12-11-2014 02:10 PM

EJP

You can do it. Love and humility are amazing gifts.

One conversation at a time.

(((hugs)))