Sober

Day 6 and counting.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm in ! :-)
Old 12-01-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

I saw Ready's post and thought I would chime in too. I am in the December 2012 class, got sober after a Christmas party where I acted like a reality TV star in a bad way (think Brigitte Nielson and Jessica Sierra when angered). The best thing about it was that it turned into just the push I needed to get sober. And I owe a lot of it to my class, classmates and this site.

You can do it! Lean on each other.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

I'm in! Hoping this will be my best December in many years.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm on day 7
Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I didn't drink on thanksgiving and a couple of days before it and rewarded myself by drinking for the 3 days after. That has also become my pattern, I get through a tough situation and then blow it the next day for no reason.

I really enjoy sobriety, I just have to get over the mindset that settles in after some sober time that drinking is some sort of relief that I deserve or that I can drink in moderation (I can't).

I am mostly a solo drinker so social situations this holiday season won't be so tempting. It's being alone when I can sneak it and tell myself no one will know or get hurt. In truth, I'm just hurting myself and setting myself up or more pain and consequences down the road.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sober

Originally Posted by forabetterlife View Post
I didn't drink on thanksgiving and a couple of days before it and rewarded myself by drinking for the 3 days after. That has also become my pattern, I get through a tough situation and then blow it the next day for no reason.

I really enjoy sobriety, I just have to get over the mindset that settles in after some sober time that drinking is some sort of relief that I deserve or that I can drink in moderation (I can't).

I am mostly a solo drinker so social situations this holiday season won't be so tempting. It's being alone when I can sneak it and tell myself no one will know or get hurt. In truth, I'm just hurting myself and setting myself up or more pain and consequences down the road.
Rewarding yourself with a bad thing is ALWAYS a bad idea. It trains your brain to want that reward. Reward yourself with something pleasurable that is good for you. For me it would be a nice, long, hot bath for example.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Not much to say

I'm here. I need to be here. I need to make a plan. This is my month. My time. God help me, I need it.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Just wanted to wish you all the very best of luck. I quit in early December 2 years ago and am still sober. I thought of waiting till New year but really just had to do it now. I remember thinking if I could get through the party season sober I could pretty much get through anything. I did it and you can too. It is true. You really can do this and make such a better life for yourself.

Checking in to SR day and night and joining the December class was the most important thing I've ever done and helped me more than I can say. Wishing you all the very best of luck and sending you strength and positive thoughts for taking this positive step which will change your life for the better
Thanks ReadyAtLast - that's a real inspiration. Day one for me, sitting in bed reading these posts with the radio on, definitely beats being 4 hours into a binge at the pub. One day at a time though...
Old 12-01-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to all you guys - CaseyW JT0626 Goliath68 terbo shazilar strategery Deniselarkin Lulu212 twentyfive Icandothis2013 aistar ThatHombre & JayEl

No matter how many classes you've been in or how many times you've stopped before, this month can be a game changer - do something different.

Think about what you're prepared to do to get this monkey off your back - and do it. You'll find support and understanding here

D
Old 12-01-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Sober since8/1/15

I'm in.. Day 1 and the beast inside me says "why would you quit now?!?! New Years is a month away.. Make it a New Year's Resolution" My beast that i objectify by calling it Bane (as in, alcohol is the Bane of my existence) it's just his latest excuse. THERE IS ALWAYS an excuse, there is always another reason. This is when I remind myself that his last rationale was that "it's Thanksgiving, you have 5 days off, quit after Sunday, 1st of December.. Nice and neat right?" Well today is the first and I drank just over 1 gallon of Vodka between Wed afternoon and last night.. So no Bane my resolution is to have the last month of this year sober, not in a month, not $350 later and not after a DWI or worse. So I'm in.. Day 1
Old 12-01-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I'm at day one, there is no going back this time I will quit and I will be a better person for it. Alcohol is my drug of choice and I like it but it dont like me! I dont like me on it! So here it is day one and this time I will not go back to drinking I need a life overhaul and it starts today.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm at day 2!
Old 12-01-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sober since8/1/15

Alcohol is like an abusive relationship.. Romanticizing the "Good Times" in the beginning and all too easily forgiving all of the times it beat the crap out of you and the money it stole, the time it stole, or what about the time it held you hostage in your home so it could have you all to itself. And when you break up with it, whispers "come on, you know you miss me, it'll be different this time, I've changed , you've changed, take me back huh, we can't live without each other"
And it sounds so good, it wasn't my fault or its fault, it was the bad day or stress that made him do it, you did it to yourself.
If I were on the outside looking in at anybody else in that sick relationship Id want to shake them and say "Don't you see how twisted this is, it's just a vicious cycle.." You have to break it and not go back, don't take the phone call or the whisper in your ear as 5 o'clock comes around, that's when we would always meet up.

So is it really something good that you're giving up? Or is it just that you're comfortable in the abuse because hey there comes a point when you're beaten so bad we don't feel anything anymore were numb.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome KJ'sOK, lilsmum and lotsofcoffee

D
Old 12-01-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 1, and I'm terrified.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Folks- Class of August 2014 here.

Congratulations on committing to a better life!
Old 12-01-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Going to bed rather than the store.... Tomorrow will be a full and necessary day 1. Good luck to us all!
Old 12-01-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I've never joined a class before.
I figured, why not?, after all today is December 1st.
Had 10 incredible sober weeks, then hit critical mass
during the last days of October. I learned from that disaster.
Thank the Lord. Today is day 8.
I'm pleased to say, 'twas my first sober Thanksgiving in
30 something years.
Christmas and New Years will complete my trilogy.
I refuse to back down or wallow in self-pity.
I refuse to endure yet another withdrawal.
I will fight. I will pray for wisdom. I will succeed.
Wishing all my fellow SR-ers a triumphant victory.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi everyone,
I would like to join the December class. I need to keep trying and hopefully it will stick. I have learned a lot about my triggers over the past few months and am feeling ready to take charge of my life. I came close to talking to a family member about my drinking today. I think I will still talk to him but I wanted to be face to face. I'm looking forward to all of the support.