Notices

Class of November 2014 Part 4

Old 11-26-2014, 07:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
Hi all, I hate to start the new thread on a down note, but I drank on Day 10. Not only did I enjoy it, but I didn't have any negative consequences (hangover) which is making my AV super excited. Ugh. I'm starting to realize that I've been unconsciously moderating, rather than truly embracing sobriety. I may have an opportunity to go to a meeting today and if so, I'm going. Stay strong, everyone (Erratic, you're my hero...almost a month on the books! Way to go!)
Jo Sharon, please forgive yourself for the slip and resolve not to do it again. We all make mistakes, but we learn from them. I have had many slips since first seeking sobriety 1.5 years ago, but overall, I have drank less and have grown spiritually. I am determined to make it stick this time.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post
This week, beginning today, is going to be so hard. It would be SO easy to just have hubby pick up a bottle of wine on his way home from work today, and he leaves a bit early, too. So actually maybe a couple bottles. Then, if I cave, I may as well 'take the next 5 days off'. BLAH! So a lot of staying sober for this holiday week depends on tonight...

I'm babbling, sorry, but trying to come up with a strategy for about 3/4 PM on.
Yeah, 4 pm is the witching hour for me as well. I'm not leaving the house today, so no wine available. If I asked my husband to pick one up on the way home, he would say no. He doesn't drink, which makes things easier on me.

I'm going to relax today instead of trying to be "Super Housewife." Perhaps I will be more "chill" at 4 pm and less likely to feel the need to "reward" myself for good behavior. Anyway, I mention it since it sounds to me like you may be looking to reward yourself too.

Just remember that you want to feel good when you wake up tomorrow for the holiday. You can do this!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Same here, I slipped and had wine with no bad consequences. BUT, for the first time I noticed how much it controls me, I really really wanted to quit drinking, but went anyway. I also put off hanging out with my boyfriend ( kinda ex boyfriend) who was leaving town, so I could drink. I couldn't have drinks with him because he knows I have a problem and am trying to quit. So I chose alcohol over someone I love, I never noticed myself doing that before ( I probably have, but wasn't paying attention like I am now)
Anyway, it freaked me out. So on with day two.
The longest I've made it in years is 9 days.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good morning day 5. I have a head cold. Will spend the day in bed snuggled in a pillow and blanket fort and hiding from the world. .... for a bit. Then I'll get my butt up and clean and bake pumpkin pie for tomorrow. oh so jealous of all the august group people reaching 100 days. Wish I had just stated away from the alcohol.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You can make it past 9 bohdi. If i can you can.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day 7 and just sat down with hubs to watch 'November man' and am nursing a fresh orange and lemonade - looking forward to hitting double numbers over the weekend

Good luck to all of the Americans with thanksgiving tomorrow - hope you have an awesome time wherever you are

Xx
Old 11-26-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am having a very bad AV calling for some Scotch. I need stop it. I cannot drink, not even one.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

It's great to catch up with how people are. I'm really pleased people are feeling positive about Thanksgiving. We don't celebrate it here (unless we want to :=]) so I've got a few more weeks before the holidays start to be an issue.

Josharon: It's great you're really up-beat about relapsing. Each time it happens we learn something new, I reckon. I don't think sobriety is easy, but we'll get it right. Love the back-story on your username too :=]

I'm sorry that other folks are having trouble sleeping- I woke up at 4am in a totally grumpy mood but was smart and didn't get back up. Went back to sleep for 4 hours and woke up feeling ... well ... pretty damn normal. Sometimes normal is good :=]

Take care guys and stay strong.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey he19me,

Don't listen to it. One really useful thing for me is that silly saying "Play the tape." It's not just gonna be one scotch, as nice as it might seem. What happens after the first scotch? Then what happens? You can do this :=]
Old 11-26-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hanging on, but now I have my niece to watch while my sis has an unexpexted doctors appt. Three crazy kids! Ahhh. Deep breaths.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

He19 how are ya??
Old 11-26-2014, 12:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks Andy and Applekat. I feel much better. Found an activity to keep me busy this evening.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Just checking in...closing out Day 11. Still one day at a time for me. That's the best I can do right now. Keep reminding myself of the pain alcohol has caused me. It's a reasonable deterrent, thankfully. Good night everyone.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberMarathon View Post
Just checking in...closing out Day 11. Still one day at a time for me. That's the best I can do right now. Keep reminding myself of the pain alcohol has caused me. It's a reasonable deterrent, thankfully. Good night everyone.
Great to hear from you SM, great job on Day 11, one day at a time!
Old 11-26-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Just checking in - Day 4. I am in a good mood today despite the miserable weather. I will have some tough challenges this week, but I still feel firmly committed. I will be home Thanksgiving and see some friends that night so I will need to stay focused. Friday will be a family day so that should be easy. Saturday is actually the day I am worried about the most - going to watch a basketball game with friends (area around arena has lots of bars). Will need to make sure I go home after. I will do this though.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:40 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by he19me View Post
I am having a very bad AV calling for some Scotch. I need stop it. I cannot drink, not even one.

Great job he19me!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Thanksgiving all

I've had a few busy days but I'll be around SR all over the weekend, and so will lots of other members.

There's tons of support here
Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi all. I tried to quit nearly a year ago, and was on here for awhile. I don't remember what class - January or February. I now have 12 days in - 13 when the clock turns over at midnight.

Yesterday I had exactly the same feelings as a hangover, and I haven't slept very well the last three days, but im generally hanging in Ok. My sponsor said to give it time, as it might take a couple of months or so for my body and brain to "re-wire" themselves, based on how much I wss drinking. But I really can't complain: my withdrawal is really mild.

Stay well all. And happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kensho View Post
Yesterday I had exactly the same feelings as a hangover, and I haven't slept very well the last three days, but im generally hanging in Ok.
Yeah, I can relate. I know I am drinking too much coffee and not enough water, so tend to feel dehydrated in the morning. Just started Day 14, yay!
Old 11-26-2014, 09:09 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi guys,

I hope everyone's doing well. Hi, Kensho, nice to have you here :=]

What a funny funny day. Hope you don't mind if I need to vent. I fell of the wagon about three weeks ago and went on a week long bender. Pretty damn stupid. Extra stupid because I managed to lose my cell phone. Typical drunk, really.

I'm pretty poor so replacing it has been a big deal. Today, I finally got my new phone and a new SIM. Yaaaay. What wasn't so cool was the the firkin thing wouldn't work. I tried the SIM both ways, even forced it a bit but nothing would do it. After a couple of hours thinking I finally acknowledged, that yep, I broke the thing. Cleaver!

After a full on day I decided to sit down with my screwdriver set. You know what? I fixed it. I fixed it! Using a small piece of tin foil and some Kiwi ingenuity :=] How McGyver is that?

Anyhoo, I just thought that was funny and potentially symbolic. I hope you're all doing well and staying sober.